A vent and request for updates for headliners rides reopening this week...

How about Soarin'? I don't see it on the calendar's refurb list... can we take that as a good sign? Anyone there today?

My youngest DD is REALLY looking forward to riding Soarin' during our trip in two weeks as she wasn't tall enough to ride on our first trip two years ago and she heard from older DD how cool it was! :)

Soarin' was not open when we looked earlier.

I have to say that this is all sort is alarming. We noticed last night that the elevator inspection certificate in our resort elevator expired early in *2011*!! Another one was covered over with a generic labelmaker sticker that said "renewal in process," but you couldn't see the date. WHAT is going on here?!?!

Soarin' was not open when we looked earlier.

I have to say that this is all sort is alarming. We noticed last night that the elevator inspection certificate in our resort elevator expired early in *2011*!! Another one was covered over with a generic labelmaker sticker that said "renewal in process," but you couldn't see the date. WHAT is going on here?!?!

In defense of bad elevator inspecting (not that it's defensible but...), that's sadly normal in many places. The local municipality usually hires the inspectors, and in larger cities usually there aren't enough inspectors to go around. Here in Chicago, we have something like a dozen inspectors for a 220-square-mile city with 3 million people in it, so most elevators here are way past their inspection dates. It was the same when I lived in NYC, and I suspect it's the same in the L.A. area.

I would suggest very caustious optomism at best - nowhere else is it being reported, and the apps show it and Soarin as still closed.

I would reserve my cheers for hearing from a more official resource - or having several people say they just rode it.

It just does not make sense that it would be open yet. :confused3

I guess I just wanted it to be open so badly, I trusted another poster.
I should know better. :sad2:

Matterhorn is supposed to be open Fri, Sat, and Sunday.Space Mt and Soaring not until Monday the 22nd.Thats from the CMs at the gate about an hour ago so take that with a grain of salt but thats the latest...

Soarin' over California has now joined Space Mountain on the "Closed for Refurbishment" list.

I'm curious if those 2 rides (Soarin' and SM) are showing up on the refurb list on the last day available for us to see on their calendar because they wanted to acknowledge that they are closed but they don't have a set end date to the refurb (like they seem to for everything else) so that defaults it to show up as never actually ending on their calendar.

Not sure if that makes sense - maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm not sure how else it would work on their calendar. Hopefully others have tracked how they deal with surprise refurbs on their calendar.

I'm curious if those 2 rides (Soarin' and SM) are showing up on the refurb list on the last day available for us to see on their calendar because they wanted to acknowledge that they are closed but they don't have a set end date to the refurb (like they seem to for everything else) so that defaults it to show up as never actually ending on their calendar.

Not sure if that makes sense - maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm not sure how else it would work on their calendar. Hopefully others have tracked how they deal with surprise refurbs on their calendar.

We're hoping that's the case, too, and that maybe the CM rumor is correct and SM and Soarin' reopen next Monday. We're considering switching our Memorial Day trip to Florida or just canceling it entirely for now. :sad1:

We're hoping that's the case, too, and that maybe the CM rumor is correct and SM and Soarin' reopen next Monday. We're considering switching our Memorial Day trip to Florida or just canceling it entirely for now. :sad1:

Curious....are you considering cancelling because of these two rides or because of the overall situation, that maybe some other rides might be affected?

I can totally understand considering switching to WDW. It's not the same without the main rides. I sure hope Disneyland gets their act together soon!

Curious....are you considering cancelling because of these two rides or because of the overall situation, that maybe some other rides might be affected?

The two rides. My DBF really connected with Soarin' (like, cried every time he was on it.) This is an extension of his birthday present (I got us Premier passes), and if I can take him somewhere where Soarin' is guaranteed to be open (i.e. Epcot at WDW), I want to do that.

Also, I'm a big 10 year-old and if it's not a day I can ride DL's Space 5 times, I'm inconsolable. But it's really the Soarin' reason.

I can totally understand considering switching to WDW. It's not the same without the main rides. I sure hope Disneyland gets their act together soon!

It really isn't the same. I've been through this before, too. Back in spring 2003, I took a trip to DLR to decide whether I wanted to leave my NYC hometown and move to Chicago. (I've been in the Windy City 10 years, so it was a good trip!) My favorite ride is Space and I knew I wouldn't be able to afford to renew my AP since I was likely moving. So it would be a long time until I could be back. The day *before* I arrived was the day Space was shut down early for its two-year refurb. So right now it's kind of like, go where everything's open at all costs.

EDIT: Actually, it's two hours later and after talking about it, we've gone ahead and changed all our reservations to WDW. Kind of annoyed at DLR for the whole situation, but then again I get to ride an already-refurbed BTMRR, so there is that!

Soarin' and Space Mountain both closed today and both had signs that said, "closed for refurbishment". We also noticed a large security presence today. Don't know if that is a reaction to the horror at the Boston Marathon or not, but lots of "suits" out today.

EDIT: Actually, it's two hours later and after talking about it, we've gone ahead and changed all our reservations to WDW. Kind of annoyed at DLR for the whole situation, but then again I get to ride an already-refurbed BTMRR, so there is that!

Good for you! :) We booked our tickets in June '12 using miles, and are also doing some other California things, so we're stuck with DLR.

Everyone who is affected by this, please write Disney and let them know about it. Mike, let them know you went to WDW instead!

I was fine with BTMR being closed. I'm an engineer, I know things need refurbishment. I'm annoyed that poor planning and general sloppiness may mean these rides are closed for a bit. Will it ruin our DLR trip? No. We're also doing LA and Palm Springs. Soarin' and SM are my husband's and best friend's two favorite rides, so if both are down, then I think it is OK for us all to be a little upset. These are issues that should never have happened and only did due to Disney's poor planning and that is why it is ridiculous.

I am hoping SM & Soarin' will be up and running by early May. If not, I'll still have fun, but I will be writing a few people at Disneyland. I strongly suggest everyone else do the same. I'll keep it short and say I am disappointed since it was a completely known and fixable issue, for the price DLR should not have those types of issues, and when a bunch of E-Ticket rides are down other rides have longer lines so it did affect the vacation experience.

Everyone who is affected by this, please write Disney and let them know about it.

I just sent off an email as I am not writing a letter and mailing it this close to our arrival date - I know they do take letters more seriously though.

My issue is not with the minor convenience of two rides being down, it is with the negligence this uncovers and the dark shadow that casts over the entire park and organization. The wait for threat of fines before taking appropriate measures to insure safety is common practice for many organizations, but it's not right.

Our concern is that more rides will see closures as time moves on - but I am guessing for anyone concerned about an impending price hike - that is being put to the side until all this is settled.

Let's hope no employees are hurt on any other rides and that a full scouring inspection was done to make sure these are the only rides that could endanger any employees, and that this is resolved as soon as is possible.

We will return so it's not a big deal but I know there are many who visit once and that is it. And this time of year is when there are supposed to be less and less rides down, so I am sure they are scrambling to get this done.

*bumped* over the redundant thread

[OP It would be helpful if you changed the title of the original message so that it names Soarin & Space, and is an ongoing issue]

I'm hoping this is the case as well. Since they aren't sure when the rides will be back up, it may be better for them to manage expectations and then have people pleasantly surprised when they come back up unexpectedly. I'm really hoping Space is back up for our trip at the end of this month, but will suffer through the Matterhorn and Goofy's Sky School a few extra times if it isn't so that DD6 can get her coaster fix.

This is really too much . We have flown from Australia so we can't change and fly to Wdw . Having 3 major rides down is really going yo take the shine from our trip. It's not good enough . We love Disney but this isn't fair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter