• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Vacation From My Problems (A Sept. 2010 Trip Report) - COMPLETED 12/14

The one thing I tell my parents now looking back is...I really did love you all those years that I told you were incredibly embarassing and I only wanted to do things with my friends :rotfl: I wouldn't be caught dead hanging out with my parents in those years, but that quickly changed when I graduated high school and went away to college, then I really missed them and their wallets :lmao:

Sounds like the strategy is: Wait It Out. :rotfl2: One thing for sure: they won't be missing my empty wallet anytime soon.

IMG_5771.JPG

In 2006, while watching Spectromagic on Main St., I'd happened to glance over and see some folks eating dinner on a porch, calmly chowing down while the parade went by. :idea: How cool would that be? I thought. If you're gonna sit around watching a parade instead of going on rides, you might as well have some food. So, with that in mind, I had made a 7:00 p.m. ADR at Tony's. The plan was to ask for a porch table and then watch the Main St. Electrical Parade go by at 8:00.

We had a little time to kill before 7, so we wandered a bit. Julie ended up in the tunnel under the train station, checking out the retro posters for some of the attractions. They are pretty cool, so I thought I'd share them here.

IMG_5780_2.JPG

IMG_5781_2.JPG

IMG_5782_2.JPG

IMG_5783_2.JPG

IMG_5784_2.JPG

IMG_5785_2.JPG

Do they sell these anywhere? I bet they'd make a killing if they did.

We went up to the desk to check in, and I asked for a table on the porch. The CM behind the counter gave me a world-weary look, as if to say, "Well, duh. Do you really think you're the first guest in the history of Walt Disney World to think of that idea? We have hundreds of guests and 5 tables out there. Do the math, Einstein." But she nicely told me she'd try.

So we waited. And waited. And waited some more. Then we got up and moved to a different spot in the adjacent gift shop to wait some more. By this time, the boys were crawling all over each other in an alcove between shelves filled with tiny, expensive Disney figurines and collectibles. I had visions of snow globes crashing to the floor off the shelves, followed by me issuing an order of, "Quick! Let's get out of here before somebody sees us!" Thankfully, we were finally buzzed and brought to our table...

...in the room behind the porch. Oh, anonymous lady at the counter. You broke my heart. You broke my heart! Oh well. They did their best to at least help us see the parade, if not hear it.

This was our first time eating at Tony's. It's another one that gets somewhat of a bad rap here on the boards. The reviews I've seen have been mixed at best. We thought it was beautiful inside, and appreciated the understated Lady & the Tramp theme.

IMG_5790.JPG

IMG_5792.JPG

So, how's the Italian food in this restaurant? Well, once again, I have no idea where the complaints come from. I had the chicken parmesan and really enjoyed it. I can't remember what everyone else had, but we all thought the meal was very tasty. Is the menu more "Americanized" Italian food rather than authentic? Maybe. I wouldn't know. All I care about is, "does it taste good?" And yes, this tasted plenty good. I'd go back.

Dave seemed to take the Lady & the Tramp theme a bit too literally.

IMG_5799.JPG

IMG_5801.JPG

There was definitely a romantic feel to the place. The fountain, dim lighting, and dark wood features gave a subtle warm tone. Light opera played over the speakers. I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are best left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it.

Taking my cue from Dave, I found a piece of Julie's spaghetti and tried to lead her in a lovely re-enactment of the famous Lady & the Tramp scene.

IMG_5805.JPG

Julie turned, and looked deep into my eyes. I gave her my best smoldering gaze. She inhaled sharply, captivated by the sight before her. She leaned in close, drawn inexorably forward.

Then she smacked me in the back of the head and said, "Eat your own @$#% pasta. I've been on my feet all day and I'm starving. And don't let food trail out of your mouth; it's pretty nasty."

Ah.... amore.

The Main Street Electrical Parade began, and the kids wandered up to the door to the porch to see if they could stand and watch. A CM politely told them they weren't allowed to stand there. It was disappointing, but I could see why--if I had a table out there, I wouldn't want to be crowded by other people, either. So, we had to content ourselves with watching from the dining room. It wasn't the greatest view, but it was still kinda cool eating and seeing the floats go by at the same time. Here's Pete and his dragon:

IMG_5798.JPG

Soon, dinner was over and we were settling up the check. As we left, I told Julie to leave the gun, and take the cannoli.

We spilled out into the Town Square and hung out until Wishes started. We watched the fireworks, and then wandered to the bus line, beating the crowds. Then we rode back to POR, and the melancholy end-of-vacation feeling began to set in. All 6 days of admission to the parks had been used up. We'd be packing up that evening. The Magical Express envelope was there on our door, saying pickup time was 11:30 the next morning. Somehow, the 7 days we'd spent there felt like 3. How come my work week never flies by like that? The office would be better if it was Disney World.

Coming Up Next: Our final bit of fun, and the trip home. :sad1: And at dinner, we realize we are definitely not in Disney World anymore.

I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it.

Shawshank Redemption

How's the food in this restaurant (ie. minus the "Italian") = The Godfather

answer: try the veal, it's the best in the city

Ah, Mark, that stinks you didn't get the table of your dreams! And that Julie wasn't willing to suck spaghetti off your face. Not sure I know very many who would be willing to do that in public. Actually, I'm not sure I know very many who are willing to do that in private, but hey, at least you tried. :lmao:You're lucky you married such a patient woman; I'd have spanked your hand with my fork, while gently reminding you that I'd been on my feet all day and was starving.

Yes, why is it a week there can feel like 3 days?

Too bad you didn't get the table you wanted! I would have been SO disappointed, especially being an avid DISer. At least you got to see a little of the parade from a distance. So sad your trip is almost over!

Dave seemed to take the Lady & the Tramp theme a bit too literally.

IMG_5799.JPG

Dave is my kinda guy!

Then she smacked me in the back of the head and said, "Eat your own @$#% pasta. I've been on my feet all day and I'm starving. And don't let food trail out of your mouth; it's pretty nasty."

Not a quote but the "I'm starving" part reminded me of that SNL skit where David Spade, Chris Farley, and Adam Sandler are dressed as girls. Chris Farley is eating french fries and David Spade says, "I thought you were on a diet". And Farley's voice goes real deep and he/she says, "Lay off me, I'm starvin'!"

Great report - have never eaten at Tonys - glad to hear you enjoyed it. As many times as we have been there my husband didn't believe me when I told him there was a restaurant there. I don't know what he thought all those people were doing over there on the other half of the building that he goes in to to look at camera stuff every trip. :confused3

I was so excited as I was reading and came across Godfather and Shawshank quotes. Inside I was :cool1: I know this......so I scrolled ahead.....and, yep, the guys beat me to them. :headache: But I also had to re-evaluate my movie viewing.....why is it I was so confident on what are typical "guy-movies". Of course, the Godfathers and Shawshank are classic movies.....but supposedly so is Steel Magnolias and I couldn't tell you one thing from that. :confused3 Maybe there is a reason I was given all sons and no daughters....

All I care about is, "does it taste good?" And yes, this tasted plenty good. I'd go back.
That is the number 1 criteria I always go by.:thumbsup2

I've always wondered why pasta dishes always cover those delicious noodles with bland, flavorless sauces. I'm glad to see he's bucking that trend.

We spilled out into the Town Square and hung out until Wishes started. We watched the fireworks, and then wandered to the bus line, beating the crowds. Then we rode back to POR, and the melancholy end-of-vacation feeling began to set in. All 6 days of admission to the parks had been used up. We'd be packing up that evening. The Magical Express envelope was there on our door, saying pickup time was 11:30 the next morning. Somehow, the 7 days we'd spent there felt like 3. How come my work week never flies by like that? The office would be better if it was Disney World.
That last bus ride away from the park is always gut wrenching.
It would be a lot more fun if the office was Disney World. You're already an engineer so the way I see it, that puts you halfway to being an imagineer. Now if you only had an imagination... :rotfl:

I was worried that he had fallen asleep at the table.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh, the last day blues. I hate them!

We always go to the parks in the morning before we head out, but we pack up the car first. It's like a stupid roller coaster. You are sad from packing, but you are going to the park, then you put the stuff in the car, but you are going to the park!

Then, you do the last little things you want to do, finish your shopping, and get back on the bus/monorail, and get in the car. The first 20 minutes are sad.........until everyone but the driver passes out for a couple hours.

:laughing:

We had a little time to kill before 7, so we wandered a bit. Julie ended up in the tunnel under the train station, checking out the retro posters for some of the attractions. They are pretty cool, so I thought I'd share them here.
It's amazing what you can find when you have a few minutes to wander around. :thumbsup2

We went up to the desk to check in, and I asked for a table on the porch. The CM behind the counter gave me a world-weary look, as if to say, "Well, duh. Do you really think you're the first guest in the history of Walt Disney World to think of that idea? We have hundreds of guests and 5 tables out there. Do the math, Einstein." But she nicely told me she'd try.
Did you do the suave move where you go to shake her hand, but you have a folded up $50 bill in your palm. Then you complement her on how the florescent lights seem to dance in her eyes? Then casually mention how wonderful it would be to get a table on the porch? I mean, it wouldn't work, but it would be hilarious to watch.

This was our first time eating at Tony's. It's another one that gets somewhat of a bad rap here on the boards. The reviews I've seen have been mixed at best. We thought it was beautiful inside, and appreciated the understated Lady & the Tramp theme.
Opinions are like... well, you know. Everyone's got one. Personally, I like Tony's. Then again, I like the Olive Garden.
Where are this boy's manners?!? I mean come on! Take you hat off before you go diving for meatballs. :rotfl2:

Julie turned, and looked deep into my eyes. I gave her my best smoldering gaze. She inhaled sharply, captivated by the sight before her. She leaned in close, drawn inexorably forward.

Ah.... amore.
I got Bambi an anniversary card this year that showed two people on the front sharing a plate of spaghetti. The inside had some corny saying like "have an anniversary you'll never for-getti" or something like that. I crossed it out and wrote "There's no one else in the world that I want to Lady-and-the-Tramp with for the rest of my life"
Yes, i just verbized Lady and the Tramp.
And yes, I just made verbized a word.

I love this trip report. popcorn::
You're hilarious, really, I've cracked up reading it so many times. And I agree with you on hating falls, FALLS ARE NIGHTMARES, I'm even terrified of Splash Mountain, so, I get you. :lmao:

You broke my heart = Godfather Part II

+1 :thumbsup2

Leave the gun and take the cannoli = The Godfather

Let's get out of here before somebody sees us

Home Alone 2

I wasn't going for a quote for this one, but this one is confirmed!

I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful, it can't be expressed in words, and makes your heart ache because of it.

Shawshank Redemption

How's the food in this restaurant (ie. minus the "Italian") = The Godfather

answer: try the veal, it's the best in the city

Actually, the "Italian" is part of the line. Which I always thought was strange. I mean, McCloskey knows he's in an Italian restaurant, right? I always thought Solozzo should have answered, "It's a heck of a lot better than their Thai dishes."

"Let's get out of here before somebody sees us" may also be in A Bug's Life?

:confused3

we are definitely not in Disney World anymore

The Wizard of Oz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter