A typical day at CC, what was yours like?

yazee1

<font color=teal>It sounds like we broke the ship!
Dh and I have a lot of ideas of what we want to do on Castaway Cay but not much of it involves the kids. They'll want to play in the sand and swim all day. We want to snorkel and maybe ride bikes or relax at the adults beach or even get a couples massage. What are some of the ways families with children spend the day? I know we're going to drop them off at some point to do things as a couple. I'm not sure about how this will play out.

Also, what do you think is essential to bring onto the island? Some things are obvious like sun protection and beach towels. Did you go back to the ship during the day? Toting sand toys and snorkel gear along with everything else seems like a hassle.

We loved Castaway Cay especially the adults only side. Dh and I dropped our son (at the time was 3 1/2 yrs old) at the oceaneer's club on the island (they have tons of activities for them) in the morning. Chilled and I mean really chilled on the beach...went to pick him up in time for lunch (they'll feed them if you want) and then we played in the water for the rest of the day.

I read somewhere you can "borrow/check out" sand toys from the club. You really don't need to pack too much other than the essentials. You can rent a lot of the stuff.

Your family will have a blast!

MommyZ (going in 17 days!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Towels you pick up as soon as you get off the ship. Someone will be handing them out. (It's one less thing you have to worry about packing! ;) )Don't forget the camera 'cause you'll want to take LOTS :sunny: of pictures! Have a great time!

We spent the whole day at the family beach. We rented snorkle equipment and a tube to float on. I had the best of intentions of doing "couple" things, but couldn't bear to leave my kids because I was having such a great time enjoying them. Part of it may have been because it was the last day and I wanted to soak it all in!

Kim

another "essential"....

You may also want to bring ashore a bottle of a product called Safe Sea. This product is clinically proven to help protect exposed skin from the stings of jellyfish, fire coral, and many other types of stinging marine life…including Sea Lice. Many people have reported getting a rash (likely caused by Sea Lice) after swimming and snorkeling at CC (especially in the warmer months). While the Sea Lice (and resulting rash) are not particularly dangerous, a bottle of Safe Sea (at $9.95) is cheap protection against an annoying (and possibly painful) rash. You can find Safe Sea for sale on the internet (just do a Google search for Safe Sea).

We really enjoyed the kayaking but we are already avid kayakers. You get a double kayak and can work on your communication skills :rotfl2:

We were having such a good time with the kids at the family beach that we didn't check them into scuttles cove. We had planned on it, but the day went so fast. We rented snorkel equipment and a float and just hung out. DH caught a nap in the hammock :) This time we planned a banana boat ride for 3:00. I figure right after that we can get back on the ship.

It is such a relaxing place. We really did enjoy just hanging out.

we were one of the first families off the boat at 8:30am. Both the kids had their sand pails filled with toys and goggles, I had bottled water, hats and sunscreen. the first thing I noticed is the sand is different down here and I headed over to by the kids some water shoes for their feet. we snagged a wagon put the kids and the towels and headed to the family beach. we hung out there until 10am. took the kids to scuttles and dh and I took the tram over to the adult beach. we got a drink and took a nice walk along the trail until we got beeped like 45 minutes later. headed back and picked up the kiddos and went for lunch at cookies. we than went over to the dig site and that was our day. we were back on the boat around 12:30 and headed to the pool.

Let's see. Woke up, breakfast, off the ship by about 9:00. DW had her cabana massage at 9:30. I found us some chairs. Sat down. DW came back. Sat down. I remember eating a sammich and staring at the ocean. Realized I was not in my office. Smiled. Man with tray. Something frothy in plastic conch shell.

Went back to the ship about 3:30.

Aaaahhhh....

mamalle said:
the first thing I noticed is the sand is different down here and I headed over to by the kids some water shoes for their feet.

Are you referring to "water socks" to keep on in the water?

Melanie

DW and I are not much into beaching/swiming. I was wondering if it were allowable to walk the bike paths on CC as an opportunity to get some exercise and do something we enjoy (walking) ?

Yes, a lot of folks were walking on the bike trails. There is a nice beach at the end, however you are not allowed to go on it.

Here's what our day at CC was like: Got off the ship around noon in wearing t-shirts over our bathing suits. It was incredibly windy, pretty cold, and overcast. :cold: We really needed sweatshirts. DH wanted to go back in but I was really looking forward to the private island. We walked to the covered area to wait for the tram and the sky opened up. :umbrella: After about 10 minutes of rain, it cleared up enough for us to walk back to the ship. After that, DH didn't want to venture out again and I didn't want to leave him alone with the kids to go back myself. :sad2: Maybe some other time?!

This is great stuff. I can see why everyone loves CC. I'm taking notes....Safesea, watershoes.....bottled water...relax....

yazee1 said:
This is great stuff. I can see why everyone loves CC. I'm taking notes....Safesea, watershoes.....bottled water...relax....

We have our water shoes on and ready to go when we get off the ship....we take our nice big towels and try to be among the first off to get a good spot...though even though we got off early to get chairs right in front, other people just come along later and haul chairs from the back and put them right in front of you...very rude....I already purchased our water shoes for this vacation, there is a lot of grass and stuff growing on the bottom of the family beach and I hate the feel of it on my feet.

This is my favorite day. Last time we got off in time for my DS to be with the first parasailing group. I picked him up and off we went to kayaking for a while (long while). :rolleyes1 Then we went snorkeling and swimming. I had very little time for soaking in the sun because my husband wasn't feeling well so had to stay in the room. At some point we did lunch and headed back to the ship as late as we possible could. This time I am looking forward to a bit of napping time on a lounge chairs and perhaps one of those wonderful drinks I keep hearing about. :goodvibes

We just returned from our 3rd cruise – our third trip to CC. This was not our typical day at CC. This time we left the kids home. :cool1: :cool1:

We started our day at Topsiders – looking over the island as we ate breakfast. It’s a beautiful place. I love to be on the top deck as the ship docks. It’s a great picture spot. I was excited to get to CC to take pictures. I wanted to compare them to pictures I took prior to the hurricanes. For that purpose we skipped the shuttle and walked to the beach area. We stopped for pictures with Goofy at the painted faces and then went to the shop for souvenirs. This was probably the smartest thing we’ve ever done on CC – we normally wait and purchase things on the way back to the ship - not wanting to carry everything around all day. Not this time -as we were talking about running our treasures back to the ship the CM at the register offered to have them delivered. WOW! That was great. We beat the end of day shopping crowds, had the best selection of merchandise, and had our goods delivered to the ship.

Next, we stopped by the Monstro Point sign had my picture taken and then hit cookies for lunch. At lunch we selectively picked a spot to people watch as we ate. This made us miss my kids as we sat there. I tell you – some of those kids were having a great time. After lunch we rented bikes and rode to the end of the bike trail – we stopped by the adult beach on our way back and then leisurely strolled back to the ship. It was a great day. Here is a link to my pictures of CC.

http://public.fotki.com/Draperdog/family/vacations/castaway_cay_before/

We loved Castaway Cay. I planned for the excursion that included floats, snorkling gear, and a bike ride. It sounded good at the time . . .LOL. My 6 yo DS wasn't interested in snorkling so dh took him iwth the rest of my extended family to the family beach.

My older ds (age 8) was anxious to give this snorkling stuff a try. He was determined to find that underwater Mickey we'd seen on the video. Unfortunately, my mouthpiece had a slow leak. About every 5 minutes, I'd have to come for air b/c the salt water was getting in .. yuck. But we were too far out by the time I realized it was the gear and not me . . .LOL. We found the underwater Mickey and followed the snorkling trail through the advanced trail. DS was so proud of himself. He really worked at it.

We returned to the family beach. DH was hungry so we went to Cookies for a fabulous lunch. Ah those lobster burgers. The salad was great too. But nothing beats those cookies! After the workout in the water, you'd think I'd have been starving!

My dh was needing some alone time (the joys of a meloncoly personality) so he decided to head to the adult beach on his own. He gave snorkling a try there and got to see a number of stingrays.

The kids and I stayed at the beach with rest of my extended family. We had a blast just hanging out in the water on our floats.

The only challenge we had was sunburn. After almost a week in FL (we live in VA), we hadn't burned at all. We kept the pale Irish skin well lathered with suntan lotion. We were so busy relaxing at the beach, we forgot to reapply. All of us looked like lobsters that night. Next time, we'll be putting on the lotion regularly!!

We're also looking forward to exploring more of the water rides available. I really would like to do the big wheeled paddle boats. Oh and the kayaking tour sounds heavenly.

Although we didn't put the kids into Scuttles Cove this time, I think the next trip we might do it to get some alone time!! Well, at least alone together ... LOL.

Great question . . . Can't wait to go back in October!

:goodvibes We were on the 1/8 eastern and we just loved CC. We got off the ship at about 9:00 walked to the family beach, got two "sun beds" I love that term they used to be called lounge chairs!!!! So shee, shee!!! Well anyway got them and there were two sand chairs and an umbrella it was a wonderful little set up and then we got floats and tubes for the three of us, went into the water until "Nemo" the fish kept following me, I was so afraid of that fish my DH thought it was hysterical he and my DS still laugh wildly when we talk about it, then my DH and son proceeded to make a great sandcastle in the sand near the snorkel beach and after working on it for one hour were told by one of the counselors that they could not make a sand castle there as it was a walkway to the snorkel beach????!!!! go figure we definately could not figure that out (the down side of it was that as soon as my DH and DS got back to the "sun beds" the counselor kicked over the entire sandcastle my DS (5) was totally dismayed. Anyway we played in the sun and went shopping then went to Cookies for a really fun lunch then went for a walk, played on the beach until 3:00 and back to the ship, I was so sad when we were pulling away from CC. We live in Rhode Island the Ocean State and do have good beaches but let me tell you in all of my life that was the most fun trip I ever had to the beach.

We started our morning with breakfast off the ship about 9:00 or so. We found a spot on the beach and a couple chairs. Rented the floats and enjoyed the water. My DS6 at the time and I then rented the water trike. That is harder than you think since only I could reach the pedals. We hung out in the bay paddling around for a while and then went back. Hung out for a bit and returned to the ship as we had enough sun. Had some lunch and went to the Mickey pool. It was protected from the sun by the funnel and we spent the afternoon there being the only ones in the pool. It was a nice day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter