A TS newbie takes on ADRs & TiW for 10 days of Disney Dining COMPLETE

Even though our family always ate CS, for some reason, we'd never eaten at Columbia Harbor House. Since this restaurant has a reputation for being one of the best CS at Magic Kingdom, I was excited to try it out.

Lobster Roll with house made potato chips.

This was a disappointment. Far too much mayo on the sandwich to the point it was hard to taste the lobster, and the potato chips had an over-fried taste and texture that is common to house-made potato chips but that I don't really care for.

Still, I'm very interested in a couple of other dishes here, so I would give CHH another try.

Back again to Everything Pop, as I really needed some more RICEing of my knee, and so grabbed dinner to go and ate back in my room.

Pepperoni Pizza Bread. This is supposed to come with a Caesar salad, which I didn't get, so got a price reduction. This hit the spot- crunchy bread and yummy pepperoni and cheese. Perfect comfort food.

Make your own sundae. This was giant! I made a faux turtle sundae with caramel & hot fudge and nuts. This also really hit the spot. It wasn't glamorous, or the most delicious thing I've ever eaten, but it was very well done basics.

And, the TiW discount! I saved $2.88 on this meal and total savings were now up to $162.37.

OMG, that waffle with fruit and nutella has now made it to my list of MUST eats for next month! That looks aaaahhhhmazing...I need it now I think!! Love the reviews so far as well!!!

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on being Cancer Free!!!:dance3::dance3::dance3: (and I am also sorry about your sprain) Fantastic reviews... I'm having so much fun seeing your pics and reading your reviews. It's fun to 'tag along' on a food adventure!!

That waffle is on my list of things to try in September for sure. I SUPPOSE I'll share with my husband and son. Maybe.

And surprisingly that pizza bread doesn't look bad at all!

I can't believe this dining report is almost over! I will plan to do a wrap-up posts of favorites, and I'm planning to do another dining report for our Star Wars Weekend trip. But thanks again to all the readers and those who've commented- you've really made doing this a pleasure!

Last full day of the trip, and another chance for Rope Drop at Hollywood Studios. This was a catch-up day, to try to hit everything I hadn't managed to get to in the previous 8 days. Since I was bemoaning the fact that the trip was coming to an end, I decided to eat something for breakfast that I wouldn't normally eat- after all, I was still on vacation. So I headed to Starring Rolls for the one and only...

Red Velvet Cupcake.

I couldn't believe how tiny Starring Rolls was inside- there were two other families plus myself in ordering food and it felt very crowded. Once outside, I was able to cut into this beauty and admire the cross-section, before devouring it. The cake was moist and flavorful and the cream cheese icing was heavenly. This was a great way to start the day!

Spice Road Table had opened not too long before my trip, and since I hadn't planned an ADR for lunch, it seemed like a great opportunity to try it out. It also allowed me to enter EPCOT yet again by the International Gateway- before this trip I'd never come into the park that way, and this trip I only entered through the IG. Funny, huh? :rotfl:

White wine flight. I love a wine flight as a way to try new wines. And I was glad I hadn't ordered a full glass of any of these, as I didn't really care for any of them. I thought the best of the three was the Ksar White from Morocco.

Calamari. This was excellent- served piping hot and crispy. The red sauce was too spicy for my tastes, but the white sauce added a nice creamy contrast.

Tingis Sampler. From top to bottom: Harissa Chicken Roll, Lamb Slider, and Merguez Sausage.

Of these, the Lamb slider was my favorite- it had lots of flavor and reminded me of a gyro, but in burger form. The spices and seasonings in both the roll and the sausage weren't to my tastes.

I was glad I tried this, but for the price, I wasn't impressed. Especially since they didn't take Tables in Wonderland. It just wasn't a good fit for my taste preferences.

Sorry about your knee. :( I'm glad it's better now!

I'm loving the waffle pictures! Makes me want one for breakfast. ;)

I love tapas so the menu at Spice Road Table looks yummy to me but I haven't heard excellent things.

I'm not sure I can think of a more appropriate place to start a day with a cupcake than WDW!

Yay for the red velvet cupcake! I've had the butterfinger one from there and loved it, although 3 of us had to split it! It was so huge. This trip the goal is to try the red velvet one and also the marble cupcake...that dollop of fudge in the middle of the frosting on top just looks too good to pass up! Good thing we have two days at DHS! :)

I've been wanting to try that red velvet cupcake for some time now! Do you know if it had peanuts on it? I know red velvet usually doesn't but I'm allergic to nuts and those pieces on the side look similar to chopped peanuts.

I've been wanting to try that red velvet cupcake for some time now! Do you know if it had peanuts on it? I know red velvet usually doesn't but I'm allergic to nuts and those pieces on the side look similar to chopped peanuts.

I believe it's toffee but someone else could confirm that for you. Keep in mind if it is toffee, that toffee is often made with almonds.

This day was supposed to be my Animal Kingdom day, but after another late night the previous night, I just wasn't feeling up to a rope drop arrival, and decided to change plans and do some shopping! The weather had taken a turn for the cold (low 50s with a very damp cold wind) after the first few days I was there, and I was quite frankly sick of wearing the same fleece and jeans everyday.

So I slept in a bit and then headed out to Downtown Disney. I had been toying with the idea of seeing a movie, and decided that I just couldn't resist seeing Saving Mr. Banks again, this time IN Disney, and thought that I'd try out the dine-in option at the movie theater.

There are two entrances to the AMC theater at Downtown Disney. The one that is on the "main drag" by Splitsville and the waterfront is the regular theater. The one that is over closer to the parking lot is the entrance for the dine-in theater. Once I had figured that out, it was easy. You choose your seat when you buy your ticket, and then a server drops by to take your order, deliver your food, and your bill after you are seated. There is a call button if you want something anytime. Here's a link to the menu that is offered: http://dinein.amctheatres.com/menu

Just for the novelty, I ordered a drink to start.

This is the Crisp Apple Splash: Vodka, Sour Apple Pucker, and fruit juices. It was delicious, and went down very easily.

The Bistro Mac & Cheese: Mac & Cheese with Bacon, Sliced Grilled Chicken, and Breadcrumbs. This really hit the spot- warm, creamy comfort food that helped me forget the cold for a bit.

No Tables in Wonderland discount on this one, but if you are a AMC Stubs rewards club member, your food and alcohol purchases do count towards rewards.

And yes, Saving Mr. Banks was just as good the third time, made just a bit more special by seeing it at Disney.

I really like the concept of the Fork & Screen, but for me, I was glad I saw a movie I had already seen while doing it. Having the server check in with me during the movie and paying during the movie were a little bit distracting, and I can see how it might be annoying if I was really into the movie I was watching for the first time. The chairs were extra comfy, more like a recliner than a movie theater seat, which was a plus.

I love the big comfy seat in movie theaters like that! I like to curl up when I'm watching a movie, and I feel like I'm at home!
That's odd that your server checked in/had you pay during the movie--in my experience at similar places, you've always prepaid either before entering the theater or during the previews. I could see that being annoying during the actual movie.

It sounds like you had a fabulous trip! Congrats on five years of being cancer-free!!! :banana:

I believe it's toffee but someone else could confirm that for you. Keep in mind if it is toffee, that toffee is often made with almonds.

Thanks for the heads up! I've been to an allergist quite a few times and she never mentioned to avoid toffee as well. I'm glad you let me know!

Your red velvet cupcake looks yummy! Spice road is a restaurant I've wanted to try and your food overall looked and sounded great. I really don't understand why they don't accept TIW since it's at disney

Thanks for the heads up! I've been to an allergist quite a few times and she never mentioned to avoid toffee as well. I'm glad you let me know!

You're welcome! DS9 is allergic to tree nuts and peanuts and I have done tons of research on this. There is a company online, Vermont Nut Free, which ships nut free chocolates! I order chocolate for DS9 from them for Halloween and also valentines day. They do make a nut free toffee, so if you really like toffee you have an option there! :)

Another ingredient in things to look out for is something called kernel paste. It's almond paste and sometimes they use it in cookies or other baked goods but it's listed in the ingredient list as kernel paste.

I love how DIS members come out to help each other! Thanks for the great discussion about nut allergies & toffee- I never would have realized. Luckily, I don't have a nut allergy, but I know people who do.

Here comes the last updates. I almost hate to do this; I have had a blast putting this review together. I appreciate every single one of my readers- thank you so much for reading, following, and commenting.

Now, for the reviews! I like to think of this post as a tribute to the DIS- I never knew any of these things existed before the DIS, and now that I know, there's no going back. One of the best drinks on the planet:

The Grey Goose Citron slush from the kiosk in France. This is just perfect. The tart lemonade, the icy slush, the vodka that you can just taste. The only way these could be improved is if they came in the light up martini glass that I got at the Mad T Party at California Adventure.

Fresh caramel corn from Karamel Kuche in Germany. So delicious. I love the sweet/salty combo, and there is plenty to share or to take back and enjoy over the next few days.

School bread from Kringla in Norway. I love the delicate flavors of the bread- there are a number of spices in it, but they are very subtle. And the toasted coconut topping is delicious. The pastry cream accents these flavors without overpowering them. I've tried other pastries here, but I always come back to the school bread.

It does make me laugh when I hear people ordering the lefse at Kringla- where I come from, it's a holiday staple and you can't get away from it, so the idea that people would buy it in DisneyWorld as an exotic delicacy is worth a giggle. But it's charming to hear people talk about their grandmother making it. Food evokes such powerful memories sometimes.

It was back to the Magic Kingdom for my last dinner. Ending the trip was already sad, and although I didn't know it, I had one more piece of bad news to befall me: I had picked up the flu. :rolleyes2 That's right, Influenza A. Most likely from the girl I sat next to in the urgent care waiting room for 2 hours! while I was waiting to be seen.

At the time, I thought I was just tired from all of the adventuring, but I give this disclaimer about the meal: although I thought it was horrible, I'm not entirely sure how much was really bad and how much was because I had gotten sick.

I had eaten at Be Our Guest for lunch twice before, but this was my first time for dinner. It didn't start off well, as the CM who brought me to my table made several comments about how she was sorry that I was eating alone, and if she didn't have to work, she would eat with me. This is exactly the kind of thing that people are scared of when they decide to dine alone- that someone will make a big deal about it and imply there's something wrong with dining alone. While I've long since come to the conclusion that there are many things that I just won't experience unless I'm willing to do it alone, it still got the evening off on a bad note.

I also was very confused by the whole candelabra thing. It's not Lumiere, and while they hold it to bring you to your table, you don't get to keep it. It's not that dark inside BOG. Anyone have any insight?

Anyway, I started off my dinner with the naturally sweetened lemonade with wildberry foam.

This was a nice change to the horrid Light lemonade that gets served across most of the park which has such an artificial taste. I will say that the wildberry foam didn't really add much in terms of taste, but it was pretty. This can also be served in a take-home goblet, but I decided to pass on that.

Steak with haricots vert (Green beans) and pomme frites (fries). I ordered my steak medium, and it arrived within about 5 minutes of my ordering it. That was a problem- clearly it wasn't fired to order. It was very tough and chewy- I ate about 3 bites and gave up. The green bean dish tasted very bitter and I stopped eating those after one bite. The only thing worth eating were the fries, which were hot and crispy.

To give credit to my server, she did notice I hadn't eaten much and ask if there was anything wrong with my meal. By that point, I didn't really care enough to ask for something else, as I was starting to feel a little nausea. I did order dessert to go, just in case I started feeling better:

The grey stuff atop a chocolate cookie/bar. The box they put this in was totally inadequate and it was a smooshed up mess by the time I made it back to my room.

Having given up on dinner, I headed over to get my picture taken with the Beast, and was promptly scolded by the CM about whether or not I'd already eaten before I was allowed to get in line for my photo.

This meal was really a mess from start to finish. I guess I should be happy that I got a Tables in Wonderland discount, but it was really disappointing to have 2 poor experiences at BOG during this trip. The discount was $8.27 for a total TiW discount of $170.64.

DH and I look forward to the grey goose lemonade slush on every trip! I always have to have at least one of those, and at least one avocado margarita on every trip. They make such terrific drinks at Epcot! :)

Sorry about your experiences at BOG. We're going there for the first time for dinner next month and I keep reading mixed reviews. Oh well, if it's a place we will only try once then that's fine. We have wanted to go there ever since they first announced it when the news was released about the new fantasyland.

It's sad that your reviews have come to a close. I have enjoyed reading and looking at your wonderful pics!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter