A Trip of Delicious Dining and Drinking Delights - September TR - food update 10/28

blabbermouth

DIS Veteran
Hi Everybody! Welcome to my FIRST Disneyworld Trip Report. You can read my old Disneyland Trip Reports in my signature and also visit my PTR for this trip if you're interested.

We were in the world from September 4th to September 10th staying at Pop with Free QSDP :lovestruc and Magic Bands trial :lovestruc! We spent 5 days at the Disney parks and one day at Universal Studios to see Simpsons-land!

It was DH (Jason) and I (Kelsey):

20130906_195732.jpg

and two of our friends (R&K) who I will talk about, but not post any photos of as per their wishes :thumbsup2

We had a fabulous trip and I think we made amazing use of our quick service dining plan! We had a ton of fun and also some relaxing times which I'm looking forward to sharing with you. Please subscribe, and comment!!! So I don't give up on my TR and/or life :rolleyes:

I'll link to the chapters below, and post my first update shortly!

Day 1 - Are we there yet?
Wolfgang is AMAZING!!!

Day 2 - Jason picks the first ride
The only Ewok is on my shirt, but it's still my favourite ride
The most anticipated lunch of the trip
Evening at DHS & DTD

Day 3 - It's like an extra cute Pop!
But Our Future is Waiting!
TT and Cava Margaritas!
Where we didn't really drink around the world part 1
Where we didn't really drink aound the world part 2
We braved the rain... this is big for us part 1
We braved the rain... this is big for us part 2
First stop... tiki room?!?!
Second stop... almost better!
Tangled bathrooms! Galactic Heroes! Shake It!
Food update!

Let's get started on Day 1! It's mostly a travel day, so I will get through that part fast, but it includes arrival at Pop and a trip to DTD.

So we live in Victoria, BC on an island near Vancouver, so it's pretty expensive to travel from here. We decided to take the ferry and drive down to Seattle and fly from there.

I'll make this snappy so we can get to the goods! I worked a half day, just so I can say 'see ya guys, haha, I'm going to disneyworld!' and they will all not really care. I came home and we got our bags together (Minnie tote bag ftw!).

20130904_072556.jpg

This is my car waiting for the ferry (on the way home). I thought it was such a pretty view with the mountain in the background!

20130911_173253.jpg

I'm really sad to say that she doesn't have a name. I've tried a few, but none have stuck. My husband's car is called the Sangrio. Like sangria (colour) and Rio (Kia) together. Anyway, she got us down to Seattle just fine and the four big suitcases fit perfectly in the hatch.

We checked into our hotel for the night and grabbed some dinner then went to bed early. The next (early) morning we woke up and got on a plane!

I got the window seat!

20130904_090135.jpg

We flew over some crazy terrain, it's amazing to see how vast some of the states are!

20130904_092809.jpg

We flew with Southwest and I don't have a single complaint! Everything was on time or early, the flight attendants were friendly and the flights were smooth and comfortable. Oh wait, one complaint, they were rougher than necessary with our luggage! I watched them unloading it, and yikes! K's suitcase had a tear in it when we got back, but it was cheap, but still.

Then we stopped in Milwaukee. There's a pin to add to the map, eh?

Proof!

20130904_130601.jpg

Shaped cheese!

20130904_130937.jpg

I didn't catch a photo, but we flew over Chicago which was cool to see, and also we saw our first Great Lake!

Soon enough we had arrived at MCO. It was quite Floridian looking! Rain and palm trees ;)

20130904_162218.jpg

Ok, now we're getting to the stuff you're all here to read about! Next update coming right up!

We hopped on the magical express at about 8pm - token ME video photo:

20130904_195314.jpg

We arrived at POP at about 8:45 and check in went extremely smoothly, since we had already checked in online. Saira did a great job at the front desk. She was really excited that we got the coloured magic bands!

Here's mine!

20130904_205505.jpg

I'll take a second to rave about the magic bands, we all LOVED them! It was so much easier to not have to get out a card to open your door, use dining credits, charge purchases, use fastpasses, and they were used for EMH to confirm that we were allowed to be there too.

I didn't take any room photos, but we were in Room 1257 in the 50s section and it was great. It faced towards some trees towards the front of the resort. I think I prefer top floor, but second floor was fewer stairs. It was pretty close to Classic Hall too.

It had been a long day, but we were all happy to be there, and headed out to DTD for dinner at Wolfgang Puck Express!

I had the salmon with roasted potatoes (hiding) and arugula salad. It had a fresh salsa on top and some horseradish sauce on the side. This was SO good. The salmon was cooked perfectly, and it was healthy and a large portion. This would be amazing at any regular restaurant at home even.

20130904_214311.jpg

DH had the margherita pizza. He liked this a lot. He was also very happy to have a cherry coke (we actually don't really have cherry coke here in Canada).

20130904_214307.jpg

None of my food pics are very great because I had to sneak quick ones before DH rolled his eyes right out of his head! But I did get photos of every single meal I think.

He had the cheesecake and I had the creme brulee for dessert. I think this is one of the best creme brulees I have ever had! Not too sweet, nice smooth consistency and not too burnt of a crust. I was so full after dinner and I was so starving before dinner that I felt a bit ill after this, but it was really good anyway, haha.

20130904_215230.jpg

This is such a great value for a QS credit. Our meal would have been $50, but thanks to free dining it was $0 :) We did leave a tip for the waiter here because they are so amazing! They delivered our food and were really friendly and would refill our drinks 100 times if we needed it. The guy who took our order wasn't really very nice or helpful, I had to tell him it was dining plan, and only then did he ask us what we wanted for dessert etc., but that'll happen.

Here's a copy of our receipt! I feel like it's still a good value even if you pay cash for it because everything is so delicious.

20130904_213946.jpg

We strolled around through a few stores and did some browsing, but no one bought anything yet; the first night is way too soon to commit. I was too full to take many photos! It was quite busy with people strolling around too.

Snow!

20130904_225511.jpg

I decided that Snow White is the cutest baby outfit ever! There were so many cute lil girls dressed as Snow this trip.

We went to Raglan Road for a drink at the end of the night.

20130904_230220.jpg

DH had a Guiness (after realizing that the scotch was all really expensive - $55 for a johnnie walker!), I had a Kilkenny (yum, I love cream ales!), R had a Sam Adams and K had a blueberry martini which she said was amazing!

1240063_10153261498715647_1146637333_n.jpg

The waitress here was really friendly and chatty even though it was pretty busy. After this it was around midnight so we hopped on a bus back to Pop and passed out!

We had such good luck with busses this trip (R&K not so much!) but I had no complaints and I don't think we ever even waited for ten minutes.

Tomorrow we head to DHS!

Joining ... You had me at "drinking"

Fun update, but seriously, $55 for Johnny Walker? Was it blue at least?

I'm here!! I love WPE. Those pizzas are delicious and your salmon looks really good! Raglan Road really is a great place to stop for a drink-- such a fun atmosphere.
Can't wait for more!

Just came across your TR and joining in! Your title certainly grabbed my attention! Already a great start!

We are flying out Tuesday for our next trip and have an ADR at Raglan Road that night!!! I can't wait to try it for the first time! It sounds like you had a good time there!

WPE looks delicious! Especially the salmon! That's also on our "must try" list this trip!!

Looking forward to reading more!

Hello, I'm following :) nice review on WPE, it's on our list to try in a few weeks!

Joining in!! :)

Welcome, thanks for reading!

Joining ... You had me at "drinking"

Fun update, but seriously, $55 for Johnny Walker? Was it blue at least?

Well I will do my best at including all my drinking reviews too! Yes, it was blue, but still!

Signing on, really enjoying it so far! :thumbsup2

Thanks for joining in!

I'm here!! I love WPE. Those pizzas are delicious and your salmon looks really good! Raglan Road really is a great place to stop for a drink-- such a fun atmosphere.
Can't wait for more!

Hi!!! Oh yeah, we loved WPE too, and spoiler alert, this wasn't the only time we went there. But we did have something different every time :) I think the salmon was my favourite though! We really enjoyed Raglan Road, but didn't get a chance to eat there since we never had a single TS meal! :eek:

Just came across your TR and joining in! Your title certainly grabbed my attention! Already a great start!

We are flying out Tuesday for our next trip and have an ADR at Raglan Road that night!!! I can't wait to try it for the first time! It sounds like you had a good time there!

WPE looks delicious! Especially the salmon! That's also on our "must try" list this trip!!

Thanks for joining in! Congrats on your upcoming trip, haha. The food at Raglan smelled really good when we were there, so I'm sure you'll like it. Definitely go for the salmon at WPE if you like fish, it was really great!

Hello, I'm following :) nice review on WPE, it's on our list to try in a few weeks!

Thanks for following! WPE is definitely a hit. If the line seems a bit long it really doesn't take very long to wait, and then you can sit at your table with your drink while you wait for your food. It's nice not to have to worry about carrying all of your food on a tray and finding a table etc.

We're flying out Tuesday as well and also have an ADR at Raglan Road that night! Our ADR is for 7:30 and I can't wait, RR is a favourite of ours. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! :thumbsup2

To the OP, sorry for the slight hijack of your thread, we now return to your regularly scheduled TR. :flower3:

We're flying out Tuesday as well and also have an ADR at Raglan Road that night! Our ADR is for 7:30 and I can't wait, RR is a favourite of ours. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! :thumbsup2

To the OP, sorry for the slight hijack of your thread, we now return to your regularly scheduled TR. :flower3:

Sorry to continue the hijack, but just wanted to say...

That's awesome you'll be there as well!! We have a 5:45 reservation! Glad to hear you enjoy it so much! We're really looking forward to it!! Cheers! to great arrival-day meals! :thumbsup2

So about the only thing Jason cared about was going on ToT first! So when the guy with no opinion, has an opinion, you have to say yes.

We got ready:

IMG_1357.jpg

met our friends at 8:15 at the lady:

IMG_1353.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

and headed to the Pop food court for breakfast. I swear I took a pic of our food, but I can't find it anywhere. We picked up our mugs (purple for me and green for DH) and grabbed some cherry cheese danishes for snack credits. We filled up with coffee and danishes and they were delicious! The danishes were actually quite impressive, fresh, tasty and filling. But apparently camera shy.

I love the buses at Pop. They always came so quickly and they were rarely too full.

IMG_1358.jpg

Here it comes!

IMG_1359.jpg

We were excited to be at our first park of the trip and we loved using magic bands to enter. It seems to weird to not have to go through an actual turnstile, but just walk between the posts! We were ready for a go-go-go kind of morning. We wanted to knock out the big rides early and then we could go back for more and ride the "other" rides.

IMG_1360.jpg

I want to live here:

IMG_1361.jpg

I have to get back to DL one day and see all the updates they've done at DCA, including another replica like this:

IMG_1365.jpg

We arrived at about 20 after 9 and were ready for ToT. The anticipation is what makes this ride so amazing. I always feel nervous before riding, and it's the only ride where I still feel like that every time! There was only a 5 minute wait, I didn't know that there was ever less than a 13 minute wait time posted here.

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

It's hard to believe that this is one of Jason's favourite rides by seeing his face here:

IMG_1372.jpg

I'm giving him the side-eye trying to figure out what he's doing just sitting there! This is definitely one of those rides that's more fun when you scream your head off.

For such a creepy place, it's certainly alluring:

IMG_1373.jpg

Then, of course, we headed to TSMM!!! We grabbed a quick regular FP with our old skool ticket cards. We rode this with a FP+ this morning. We sort of didn't use our FP+s very much since the waits were really low.

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1381.jpg

Such a well themed area!!

IMG_1382.jpg

Periwinkle crayon is a good choice.

LOVE this ride of course. We played girls in one car vs. boys in the other. They both got about 180,000, so at least they totally cream us!

IMG_1385.jpg

After this we doubled back to visit Aerosmith and take a spin in a super stretch limo. Such a perfect three-ride trifecta! I missed getting a pic of our ride though :( but don't worry, we rode later again that day and stone-face returns!

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

We were wide awake now and ready to head across the park to my other other favourite ride, Star Tours. But first we decided to stop at the Backlot Tour.

Updated in next post!

Back to the Future... I mean Backlot Tour!

I hadn't done this before so it was pretty neat. I liked the canyon scene!

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

Magic band and nail polish break!

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

I really like the original Wizard of Oz and LOVE Wicked, and thought the Great and Powerful Oz was just ok, but the costumes were amazing. Like, can I wear this please???

IMG_1397.jpg

I was a witch for halloween last year, black and green, inspired by wicked witch of the west.

IMG_1398.jpg

Next we finally headed to my favourite ride in this park!

Love this mermaid fountain, very classic.

IMG_1399.jpg

We decided to take the subway there.

IMG_1401.jpg

Then we had to wait for a bus.

IMG_1402.jpg

and dodged some at-ats!

IMG_1405.jpg

We're here!

IMG_1406.jpg

But I didn't spot any Ewoks, darn it.

IMG_1407.jpg

We had a half-full car here, the wait was pretty much zero. Didn't even have any time to stop for photos of R2D2.

Ok, we had one minute here to take a photo.

IMG_1410.jpg

Love that ride! I don't know all the terminology, but we went to the ice/snow planet which I hadn't done before, and I think it was my favourite one yet! The movement was just so realistic and fun!

We took these super awesome power ranger pics while the guys took a potty break. I definitely watched a lot of power rangers with my brother after school! Good times.

IMG_1412.jpg

We headed back to RNRC for our FP+, which was better this time because there was a bit more of a line, about 15 minutes.

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

I have this weird thing where I LOVE it when other people ask me to take photos of them. So that happened here, it was a nice way to break up the wait and people are always so happy afterwards.

And then the robot returns. Jazz hands x3 and someone who has no human feelings. :laughing:

IMG_1416.jpg

Now it was noon so we decided to head out for lunch so we could get back in time to ride our paper FP for TSMM. We got to take a little trip out of the park for this amazing lunch, and I'll write about that next time!

Sounds like your Star Tours sequence took you to the ice planet Hoth! I'm in love with your ewok shirt....

WPE will hopefully fit in to our plans this trip - everyone just raves about it.

you're off to a fabulous start!

I love all your 'themed' shots-like on the subway and waiting for the bus! Cute!

Is your mickey nailpolish a decal or are you super great at painting mickey heads? Looks good!

Can't wait to see what's for lunch.

I'm joining and will head back to get caught up and comment. ;)

Hello for now!

Following along! :)

Thanks for reading :)

Sounds like your Star Tours sequence took you to the ice planet Hoth! I'm in love with your ewok shirt....

WPE will hopefully fit in to our plans this trip - everyone just raves about it.

you're off to a fabulous start!

I guess I could have googled it and not sounded like a Star Wars moron! I have watched them all, many times, but my memory for tv/movies is so pathetically awful, it's sad. I do love my Ewok shirt too, thanks!

Yup, try and make it work out, I don't think you'll regret it!

I love all your 'themed' shots-like on the subway and waiting for the bus! Cute!

Is your mickey nailpolish a decal or are you super great at painting mickey heads? Looks good!

Can't wait to see what's for lunch.

Well how else do you get to Star Tours? ;) Thanks!

It's just free handed nail polish! I did it on both thumbs, but one really sucked so I had to redo it with a Minnie bow instead. It definitely requires sticking out your tongue to do it with any level of skill, haha.

20130902_163049.jpg

Lunch is a good one!!!

So after Star Tours, we headed out of the park. I know, so soon in the day, but we had a plan, and I really wanted to experience something new. And *foreshadowing* DHS food really does suck.

IMG_1418.jpg

Took this pic because I thought it was so cute! They were all in matching shirts and ears.

IMG_1419.jpg

Fab colour scheme on this truck:

IMG_1420.jpg

We totally missed these on the way in, but they're the cutest topiaries ever!

IMG_1421.jpg

The line was really long for pics in front and we were in a bit of a time crunch, but I snuck some pics around the people.

IMG_1422.jpg

Sorry, heads of strangers, just pretend like you're not there.

IMG_1423.jpg

I'm so glad I saw this movie before the trip, it was really cute! Although not my favourite Disney movie I've seen lately. That would be the one I watched on the plane on the way home ;) Any guesses?

No trip report is complete without a random GECKO PHOTO! Although I wish it was the one I saw at the pool later, it was feeling frisky and was giving us a show of his red neck fan thingee. It was weird, but interesting too.

IMG_1424.jpg

We went towards the friendship boat! Which involved a lengthy discussion on why, if Disney loves putting two words together into single words (Fantasmic, Peoplemover, Hallowishes etc.) they call them friendship BOATS, shouldn't they just be FriendShips?

IMG_1425.jpg

*honk honk*

IMG_1427.jpg

Hello Swan and Dolphin

IMG_1428.jpg

Here we are! Gorgeous view!

IMG_1430.jpg

I see it!!! I think I doubled my walking speed right about here.

IMG_1431.jpg

So we arrived at Boardwalk Bakery and it was blissfully quiet and empty. There was one main reason we came here, I knew DH would love the lobster roll!

IMG_1433.jpg

And I was right, he LOVED it. He kept asking how this was a QS credit.

I had the pork sandwich which was served warm with a nice cold, crunchy apple slaw. It was SO good. The bun was nice and soft, but strong enough to hold the massive amounts of meat, and the slaw was a perfect complement to the herbed pork. We both got the cucumber salad instead of chips, which was a nice refreshing side.

IMG_1432.jpg

And now, for the desserts! I eyed up the strawberry cupcake for a long time, but knew I wouldn't be able to eat it after my sandwich, so I went for something lighter. I chose the Mango Pannacotta. I didn't realize until I read the receipt that it was 'no sugar added', but it was amazingly delicious! It was light and cold and refreshing and creamy and YUM.

DH got the Peanut Butter Chocolate Tart (I think that's what it's called). He is a huge PB&C fan, so he really liked it, but found it to be pretty rich after a full lunch. I win!

IMG_1434.jpg

Aren't they both so beautiful though?

We sat outside, so it was a bit hot, but extremely quiet, peaceful and relaxing. OMG, it was such a nice afternoon break! I love it when something highly anticipated meets your expectations. Heh, I almost said meat there, but it was meaty too!

One more view shot:

IMG_1435.jpg

After we digested and chilled out, we hopped back on a boat and headed back to DHS.

IMG_1436.jpg

Don't we look satisfied?

IMG_1437.jpg

Next update: More fun at DHS, two new-to-us shows, and our worst meal of the trip and a small disappointment. That sounds worse than it really was, so 'fun DHS time coming up!'

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter