• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A time when DL was empty?

We had a similar experience at Knotts Berry Farm after the King riots. We were there for a wedding. We didn't realize there was a curfew until we noticed all the deserted streets and National Guard members standing on street corners. We didn't ride any of the rides at Knotts, but walking to the church threw the empty park was really weird.

Dh and I went to DL and week night in 2002. We got there around dinner and closed out the park. It was eerie walking back to the parking lot and all we passed were the cleaning crew.

My kids and I used to go in the afternoons when school had early dismissal...we would get there around 2:00 and often DCA was a ghost town...not having to get off rides and being able to go on them over and over. This was also in early 2002-2004 time frame. DL would always be busier.

Not exactly the same.. but we had a magically empty area of California Adventure last August.

We were on my brother's Make a Wish Trip to Disneyland, and since we were staying in the Paradise Pier, we had EMH. Because we had a skip the line pass, we went to other areas of the park while everyone else rushed to Cars Land. We walked down Hollywood Boulevard and were literally the only ones there. (Wish I would have taken pictures!) The CM's up and down the street were standing in front of their buildings and shops with nothing to do since nobody was there yet. We got wished good morning by each of them and went straight to TOT. They opened the gates for us, and we walked in, and were the only ones in the entire building. Here is myself, my younger brother, and our cousin in the (coolest ever!) ride photo:

Photo0018FourBySix_zps541bed5a.jpg.html

Since we had two-day hoppers, when we went on our second day, we beelined to Screamin' during our EMH, but in the words of the CM "It was having a little trouble waking up" that morning.. so we did what anyone else would have done.. Mickey's Fun Wheel! My aunt, two counsins, brother, and myself started off in one swinging cart, and they let us go around five times since we were the only ones on it. When they stopped us after the fifth time, they asked us if we wanted off. :lmao: We politely declined and asked for our own swinging gondola! Off we went and every few seconds you'd hear screaming as someone went sliding down their tracks. The ride is even scarier by yourself because all the weight is concentrated in one area!

My family went in February on a cold and cloudy Wednesday and we literally walked on to anything we wanted (With the exception of RSR, which was a 45 minute wait).

Also, on a trip this March with my friends, we were literally in the last 100 people in the park, and we had the wishing well to ourselves and all made a wish, and when we were forced onto Main Street as they were sweeping the park of people nearly an hour after the park closed, we stopped to take this cool panorama shot on Main Street:

03131322531_zpsc0f8a2e6.jpg.html

We were also the last ride on Space Mountain that night.. and got to go backstage because our car was accidentally sent down the wrong track. We asked to go through the ride with the lights on to no avail :sad2:

(In case the pics don't show up, here's the links)

TOT: http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/dtnrhi06/media/Photo0018FourBySix_zps541bed5a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Main Street: http://s1346.photobucket.com/user/dtnrhi06/media/03131322531_zpsc0f8a2e6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

The last time I remember it being really empty was back in the late 90's during a rain storm. It was AWESOME! We felt like we had the whole park to ourselves. I remember walking from Pirates towards BTMR and not seeing a single person :cool1:

Have to say, I'm glad prices are going up on tickets. Crowds are worse than ever! Hopefully it will help bring some of the crowd level down.

We went to WDW less than a month after the September 11th attacks. That was a very creepy trip overall. Seeing military with machine guns at the airport... And that was the first time we *ever* saw security at WDW before. There were no bag checks before then. But if the bag checks weren't bad enough, you never saw security within the park unless an emergency was happening (heart attack or some such) before then. You knew they were there, you just never saw them.

This trip there were security people just walking around in the open and obviously far fewer people. I don't recall getting any discounts for being there, but I do remember once being in Epcot World Showcase and feeling like we were the only ones in the park. You couldn't see anyone else at all. My youngest was 6 months old that trip and I'll never forget sitting in the nursing station by myself for an hour sometimes before seeing another soul (other than CMs).

WDW still had E-ticket nights back then (not sure if they still do) where the only people in the parks "after hours" are people staying on property. Usually those are pretty quiet too. Want to stay on Haunted Mansion 4 times in a row? Sure! Pirates, same thing because there's no one else in line. This time it was downright *empty*.

Sometimes between 11pm & midnight when DL is open late it feels like that. Once two summers ago my oldest DD and I were the only ones in Fantasyland at 11:45pm besides one lone CM on sweeping duty. We ran over to get one last Peter Pan in and there was no one else there.

I can safely say that I would not care to go to Disneyland/WDW during the zombie apocalypse... It's too eerie.

Two experiences. Christmas 2006. Dland was INSANE. Went to CA and there was nobody. Like Mickey was standing next to the water and nobody was around him empty. Then, we went to WDW and MK was open until 3 in the morning. We rode the Aladdin ride 5, 6 times in a row with nobody there!

I love reading everyone's stories!
May of 2010, during a weekday evening, my mom and I were there and had Pirates of the Carribean to ourselves! No one in the boats before or after us. There wasn't anybody around Rivers of America. I specifically remember being in front of Rivers of America and facing the Golden Horseshoe with NO ONE but us!! It was awesome :)

I remember when Disneyland used to host company days when certain companies had the park to themselves. My father worked for a local aerospace company and they sold special tickets for these one day events and I would have a blast. It's so sad that they don't do this anymore because I work for the company my dad used to. I miss those days.

Last year we went a week before Easter for my birthday and after fireworks, everyone left because of the rain. It was the emptiest I've ever seen it. We rode Thunder Mountain three times in a row and got our own boat during Pirates. It was only two hours, but it was magical.

Back in the 1970s Disneyland used to have an annual event called Fireman's Night. My uncle was a fire chief for in LA, and so he was always able to go and bring as many family members as he wanted. It was my favorite night of the year. Starting at like 5pm Dland would close down for regular visitors and allow in only SoCal firemen with special tix for the event. It was heaven on earth because even with a couple thousand firemen and their families it still meant that every ride was a virtual walk-on. V V short waits if there was any wait at all. And you did not need ticket books - all rides were open and free for as many turns as you wanted. So it was a complete dream for a kid. My cousin and I would be let loose at Main St station (we were about 10 yrs old) to run and roam the parks until meet up time at 11pm. So we ran top speed from ride to ride, gorging ourselves on Dland fun. And since it was at night it seemed all the more magical. To this day, whenever I ride Matterhorn, I remember how my cousin and I would ride it over and over on Firemen's Night, screaming with joy until our voices were hoarse and our throats hurt and our tummy's ached from laughing so hard. It was awesome!

Pure bliss for a 10-year-old! Thanks for sharing this great memory.

Well I remember jay walking across the employee lot to the Tropicana with three youngsters, that was scary dangerous before they remodeled and added the walkway.So many memories I miss my son the CM going to see him next week.It's the good byes that are the hardest, that part never gets any easier.

Back when CA first opened it was usually dead, but I didn't like it then so I know why it was dead.

In the 80's we would often go in the winter months and had the place to ourselves. Especially on drizzly days. I remember one time it was so slow we didn't even have to get off Thunder mountain, they just let us stay on and go again. Ahhhh, those were the days.

A couple years ago in February, the parks were empty. No lines for BTMRR, Indy, etc. Of course, there was this pesky driving rain and wind, but that didn't stop us. Thrown on a parka and forge ahead! Umbrellas were of no use in this case. Too windy and the rain was falling close to horizontally. Pretty fun, actually.

We used to really enjoy DCA between Thanksgiving and Christmas. DCA was _very_ lightly attended. This was pre-CL, pre-TSMM, when the dinosaur with sunglasses was still there. It was really nice, pleaceful and relaxing for guests, but I suppose Disney wanted a bunch more people in the park. :confused:

I've managed on a few trips to both DL and WDW to ride Pirates completely alone in my boat with no one in boats around me. We always try to go in slower season (fall) but the parks aren't empty. Sometimes you hit the right time - right day of the week, always in the evening. If I see the queue inside is almost empty except a few loading up or a small group is behind me, I hang back, let them pass me and load up. If no one else comes in I've managed to time it so that I get my own boat. Doesn't always work but when it does it's nice. It's great to not have flash photography or talking and enjoy all the ride details without any distractions but it can be a bit eerie too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter