• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Texas-sized dining experience. 4 Adults “Stretchy Pants Diet”

I guess I should mention that Jeff & Dana acted as my photographers. I returned home with over 5000 pictures (not all of food). If I had been taking the pictures you might not be able to tell the entrees from the desserts.:rotfl:

can't wait to read more - great pics! (although given your name, I may need to see a pug pic or two - lol)

Earl of Sandwich is always a great way to start a vacation. (I'm excited that they are finally opening one near me... I won't have to travel to Vegas or WDW to have their yummy sandwiches!)

Other than the mediocre meatloaf - it sounds like a great dining experience. I wonder if they now serve the onion rings in the fry basket thingie. We didn't get that a month ago but I think it is a creative serving dish!

Looking forward to your HoB gospel brunch. :)

Great pics. We also don't care for the meatloaf and we even got it free at the bar one time. The people who ordered it left so they gave it to us. Even free it wasn't that good :rotfl: Love the fried chicken and the pot roast!! Looking forward to your next meal!!!

can't wait to read more - great pics! (although given your name, I may need to see a pug pic or two - lol)

A Pug picture or two might sneak into my report. We have two pugs. One of which we rescued only one week before leaving for WDW. My "favorite child" Silk is 8 years old. He stayed at home with our daughter Brittany while we were on the trip, but he was not happy about it. He is very attached and doesn't like me out of sight. Our new pug is Louis. He is 4 years old and has totally bonded with my daughter. After a couple of weeks he is her dog through and through.

None of our gang had ever tried The House of Blues Gospel Brunch, and since we were missing church to visit WDW we decided to get our church and a good meal at The House of Blues. We purchased our tickets online prior to our 180th day. Tickets are $33.50 for Adults (10+ years of age). So the price of this meal for all 4 of us was $134.00.
IMG_3143_zps50c3badd.jpg

It was nice to get to sleep in a little after our busy travel day. We hoped to get in some shopping before brunch, so we arrived at DTD Pleasure Island at 9:30am. Shopping was not to be as the shops did not open until 11am. However, we strolled along window shopping. Jeff took lots of photos for me.
IMG_1916_zps0fb51d9d.jpg

IMG_1915_zps69ea305a.jpg

We picked up our tickets at the ticket window (you need ID and the credit card on which you charged the tickets) and found a seat in the shade to wait for the concert hall to open.
IMG_3149_zps60f6d1fd.jpg

The doors to the concert hall opened a few minutes after 10:30am. We were greeted and shown to our table (Table 21) near the stage. We were joined at the table by two nice ladies from Orlando who were trying HOB for the first time as well. There were 2 empty chairs at our table. The waitress explained where the different buffets were located and then we were free to go fix our plates. I started out trying to get a bite of everything, but soon realized that there was not enough room on my plate or in my stomach. There is a large variety of foods. (Sorry I did not get pictures of the buffet tables.)
IMG_3147_zps98aacab1.jpg

Jeff started slow with a very small plate. He later went back and got a larger plate, but forgot to take a picture of his larger plate.
IMG_3145_zpsb8bb383e.jpg

Billy and Dana filled plates as well (I have no idea who’s plate is who’s).
IMG_3146_zps39c8f9c7.jpg

IMG_3144_zpsa70c9063.jpg

We got drinks of juice, cokes, and diet cokes. You could purchase Mimosas and Bloody Marys for $3.00. We did not indulge. We began our brunch and all quickly found things that we liked. The waffles were good. The Field Greens with Spiced Pecans with blue cheese crumbles and tomato shallot vinaigrette was very good. I did not care for the Broccoli Salad w/Crispy Bacon (I make this at home and like my version better). The bacon was thick cut and the guys declared it very good. ! Dana got a made to order omelet and said that it was very good. We didn’t care for the scrambled eggs, as they were just standard buffet style eggs and not as hot as we would have liked them to be. The Cooked Chilled Prawns with Cocktail Sauce were good, though I don’t enjoy peeling shrimp and then smelling of shrimp for the rest of my meal. The Roast Top Round of Beef and Honey Baked Ham were both tasty. I did not care for the Creole Chicken Jambalaya. This was made with a tomato base. I lived in Louisiana for 4 years and I prefer my Jambalaya made with a dark Roux instead of the tomato base. The taste was not bad, it just was not my preferred type of jambalaya. The Crispy Fried Catfish was good (could have been hotter and crispier, but it is a buffet after all). The tartar sauce was spicy and so good
The dessert bar offered Apple Cobbler (I’m not a fan of apple so I skipped this), White Chocolate Banana Bread Pudding (VERY GOOD), Key Lime Pie, Pecan Squares (okay, but nothing special), Chocolate Walnut Brownies, and Cheesecake (standard cheesecake that you could get at any cafeteria). The Key Lime Pie was good, but I make one that is better (I hope it will be the prize winning dessert at the Eagle Brand Milk Recipe Contest this year). I skipped getting a brownie when I went through the dessert buffet, because what could be special about a brownie? I was wrong! Dana got the brownie and insisted that I taste it. It didn’t look special, but it was packed full of chocolate flavor. It was cooked completely, but it still tasted gooey! The brownie and the bread pudding were the stars of the dessert bar.

I'm not sure what happened to my pictures of the desserts. I remember taking them, but I can't find them. However in 5000+ pictures I may have just over looked them.

The show started and we were soon clapping and singing with the singers. We really enjoyed the show. The songs were uplifting and upbeat. The musicians and singers were all very talented.
IMG_1925_zps43f35a8b.jpg

IMG_1922_zpsd49f2bc6.jpg

IMG_1918_zpsa5fa5e41.jpg

We all agreed that we would be willing to do this again. It was worth the money.

great to see a HOB review - the Gospel Brunch has always been on my wishlist but I always lose the argument because the other three want to go to Mk on the first morning (Sunday) of our trip. One of these years though :)

HoB was very unusual for us too. We also usually go to MK on our first full day. This usually means Crystal Palace Breakfast with Pooh, but since this was an adults only trip we broke with tradition. I'm glad we did.

I'm already planning our next trip. Planning started on the plane on the way home. :rotfl2: I would like to go on regular dining plan and only do restaurants that we have never visited. :scared1: I expect to meet some resistance on this.

While waiting on the afternoon parade, Dana and I finally were hungry enough to use a couple of snack credits.

I am blank on the name of the shop where we purchased these. it is near Starring Rolls. It is the shop with all the Villain's stuff. (Jeff has informed me that this shop is call The Beverly Sunset)

I really wanted to try this Carrot Cake Cookie. I hate raisins so it had me picking out golden raisins, but it was worth it.
IMG_3206_zps66e38ffb.jpg

Please forgive the bite out of the cookie. I was in a hurry to try it.

Dana chose the English toffee.
IMG_1943_zps77b67318.jpg

She stated this was very good.

From one pug love to another; Great reviews and I'm looking forward to reading more :thumbsup2

Terri
:beach:

Loving your reviews !! Looking forward to reading more !! We lived in Sugarland for a year before moving to South Carolina.

vettegirl now I'm jealous. I wish we had an EoS nearby.

We have two here in San Antonio believe it or not. I have never eaten at the one at WDW, but love my local one. Same menu and all. I agree the pot roast is good at PT 50's. I sure did miss it this past week, but tried new places instead.

After our Gospel Brunch, we did a little shopping at DTD. We then hopped a bus to The Swan and another boat to HS. (We took more boats on this trip than ever before.)

Our reservation for Sci Fi was at 6:40.
IMG_3355_zps0392846c.jpg

IMG_3356_zps4d6a665a.jpg

IMG_3357_zps5dd7493b.jpg

I had planned to catch Fantasmic on our first evening, but this had not happened due to my iPhone error. So we dropped by Sci Fi and ask if we could possibly get in earlier. They said it would be no problem if we didn't mind not having one of the "regular" cars. We had all eaten here before and stated this would be fine. We were seated within 15 minutes.
IMG_3366_zps94319cb2.jpg

IMG_1973_zpsd7cb6839.jpg

Our waiter was Taoufiq from Moraco. He was friendly and efficient. He took good care of us, including taking several group photos for us.
IMG_3367_zpsc4f2d04c.jpg

We placed our drink orders.
Billy- sweet tea
Jeff- Coke
Dana- chocolate milk shake
IMG_3359_zps3e9c1f5b.jpg

Me- diet coke with lime

After looking at menus for over a year, the menu has had several changes that are not currently showing online yet.
IMG_3358_zpsbc91b6d6.jpg

For appetizers we ordered 2 orders of fried pickles and an order of spinach and Artichoke dip. Jeff skipped the appetizers.
IMG_3361_zpseb26de7d.jpg

Fried Dill Pickles- served with spicy ranch dipping sauce.- $8.49
I loved the way these were served in this cone.

IMG_3360_zpsbfbf677a.jpg

Spinach & Artichoke Dip - A blend of mozzarella, Swiss, and asiago cheeses, spinach, and artichokes served with corn tortilla chips. - $7.99

The spinach and artichoke dip was good, but the fried pickles were wonderful. We ate all of both orders of pickles.

For entrees Jeff and I each ordered the Reuben sandwich.
IMG_3362_zps3700c00a.jpg

Dana ordered the smoked turkey sandwich.
IMG_1974_zps0a41aea6.jpg

Smoked Turkey Sandwich - smoked turkey, crispy bacon, lettuce, tomato with avocado mayonnaise on multigrain bread served with cucumber salad $12.99
The turkey sandwich was a turkey sandwich, nothing special. The cucumber salad was cool and refreshing.

Billy ordered the steak cooked medium well with extra mashed potatoes instead of the seasonal vegetables.
IMG_3363_zps18622ae1.jpg

Flame broiled New York Strip- with garlic mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables topped with blue cheese butter and crispy onion rings. $29.99
Billy liked this steak. He thought the blue cheese on top of the steak was a very good combination.

As desserts Jeff got a chocolate shake (actually had it along with his meal), I got a vanilla shake to go (I was full and wanted to drink it as we watched Fantasmic), Billy got an hot fudge ice cream sundae, and Dana got the Out-of-this-World Turtle cheesecake to go (and then never ate any of it).

My shake was thick and delicious. I wish I had tasted the cheesecake.

Sorry for the lack of pictures of dessert. We were anticipating Fantasmic and forgot the photos.

We enjoyed the atmosphere, entertainment (cheesy movie clips), and the food. This restaurant remains a fun place to eat.

Your pics are great. Is the lunch and dinner menu still the same at Sci Fi, or is there a seperate lunch menu again? JW. I just canceled Scifi because we are doing DTD oop the first nite and booked Yachtsmen instead. I may have to rethink things. That steak looks pretty good and we could use the credit on our first nite!! Or use it for breakfast!

I can't wait to try Sci-Fi in January! Do you know if the menu is still the same for lunch and dinner or are they different again?

I did not think to ask if the menu was the same for lunch and dinner. I suspect they are the same, because there were only a few changes in items on the menu, but that is just my guess.

So we had a great meal at Sci Fi Dine-In and had enough time to make it to Fantasmic. We had great seats about half way up. If it was a football field I'd say we were on the 45 yard line. Was moving our reservation worth it? We think so. Got a lot of great pictures and I thought I'd share a few.
IMG_3391_zps2883fd4a.jpg

IMG_3563_zps5e63ab5e.jpg

Day 3 started with an early 8:05am breakfast at Crystal Palace with Pooh and friends. We have done this breakfast on every trip. (My Dad loves this breakfast and always insists on having breakfast with Pooh! They visited Pooh the week before on their trip.)
The best part about this breakfast time is getting into the park before everyone else. I love having Main Street pictures with almost no one else in the pictures. This years pictures were extra special due to the Halloween decorations.
IMG_3675_zpsdddb60c9.jpg

We checked in and had a seat for less than 10 minutes. We were seated all the way to the right of the restaurant beside a window. The view out the window was of wooded area. Our waiter was Amir from Pakistan.
He was friendly and kept our drinks filled.

I apologize for the lack of food photos at this meal. We took lots of photos, but the food seemed to get left out. I guess due to our getting back to the table at different times and the characters arrivals we just fell down on the job of taking pictures of the food.
IMG_3723_zps7b6cfbb7.jpg

IMG_2130_zps49abd44b.jpg

The food at this buffet is good. Most of it is just standard breakfast fare. The made to order omelets were proclaimed to be good. The coffe is passable, but not really up to my picky coffee taste. The Puffed French Toast was a real hit. (I wish I had a plate full of the Puffed French Toast right now!) We enjoyed the seasoned breakfast potatoes. Every trip I try the breakfast lasagna, but I never really love it. It is okay, but I just don't like my foods mixed together. We of course ate the classic Mickey Waffles which were good, as always. I tried the quinoa cereal (as I am a fan of quinoa) but I did not find it to be anything special. Dana really liked the grits.

The characters make this meal special.
IMG_3747_zpsa7ecde24.jpg

IMG_2120_zpsa2fc81be.jpg

IMG_2119_zps71878e59.jpg

The restaurant is beautiful and we always enjoy the decor.
IMG_3755_zpsaed6189e.jpg

IMG_3756_zpsa4d2f75a.jpg

IMG_3754_zpsec8a5161.jpg

IMG_3752_zps6ea63e64.jpg

We enjoyed this meal as usual. If you haven't had breakfast with Pooh and Friends then we highly recommend an early breakfast at Crystal Palace. Having done this meal many times we are going to leave this breakfast off of our next trip in order to experience something new.

Next up...Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern. This was a new restaurant for me.

Enjoying your reviews and I've learned something new- I didn't know you could get sweet tea at 50's. I always miss drinking it when I go to WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter