A Tale of Two Trips: Disneyland and Hawaii July 2014 Long Way Home: The End 9/13 p.40

Dee it was Old Lahaina luau. It was awesome.

The banyan tree covers a block. You would know if you seen it

Tuesday July 22:
Snorkeling is Greater at Molokini Crater

Today was day of our snorkeling excursion to Molokini Crater.

molokini crater haleakela.jpg

Picture from internet

There are several companies that will take you out there on various types and sizes of boats, but after reading several Trip Advisor reviews, we chose Trilogy Excursions. They have two departure times each day: 7 am and 8 am. We chose the earlier time as recommended because the later you arrive at Molokini, the busier it is.

The 7 am trip required leaving our resort at 6 to arrive at the dock for check-in at 6:30.

http://sailtrilogy.com/

Here’s some boat stats if anyone is interested

64' searunner/cutter, rigged sailing catamaran

Built: 1993, Shaw boats/Aberdeen, WA
Sails: 1,700 sq. ft. working sail area, custom spinnaker
Specs: 64' x 32', Draft @ DWL 5'
Capacity: Normal working capacity/ 55
Crew: Captain, 1st mate, 2nd mates as needed
Other Info: Twin 350 hp Yanmar turbo diesel full electronics, covered cabin, netting forward & aft, two heads, large galley, cushioned seating inside and outside.

P1240837.JPG

Nate chose not to join us on this excursion. No, it was not the early time that got him. Nate does not really enjoy snorkeling. And he isn’t always wild about being on boats, either. He decided not to go in time for us to cancel his reservation without penalty, so that was good.

What was less good was that the excursion that both boys wanted to do, Maui Ocean Center, was RIGHT THERE at the dock where Trilogy is based. Nate suggested that we come and get him after we docked and then go back so we could go together. The resort is about 30 minutes from the harbor and I informed him that there was no I was doing an hour round trip to bring him to a place we already were going to be.

Our compromise- we would pay for a taxi to take Nate from the resort to the aquarium. Nate was not too happy about this plan- although I can’t imagine why not. Maybe it had to do with our experience with the cab driver who was a reject from “Deliverance” or maybe it was the van from the snorkel tour that tried to drop him off across town from our resort on Oahu asking “How well do you know Waikiki?”

In any event, I stood firm that if he wanted to go to the aquarium, this was how it was going to go down.

We didn’t encounter much traffic on our way to the harbor, we parked and then found the boat we would be taking.

P1240768.JPG

Orientation

P1240771.JPG

P1240773.JPG

Shortly after setting sail, breakfast was served. There was coffee (thankfully), hot chocolate, fruit and Mama’s Homemade Cinnamon Rolls.

P1240774.JPG

P1240783.JPG

P1240778.JPG

Approaching the crater:

P1240787.JPG

P1240788.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Molokini Crater

This was a great snorkel spot, very clear, a huge variety of colorful fish and marine creatures. We had to pay attention to where we were swimming, because we didn’t want to get to close to the crater walls, where it is shallow or too close to the boats and other snorkelers that continued to appear. A member of the Trilogy crew was out in the water on a surfboard in case anyone needed assistance.

P1240835.JPG

P1240796.JPG

P1240867.JPG

P1240823.JPG

DSCF1334.JPG

DSCF1329.JPG

P1240826.JPG

P1240828.JPG

P1240829.JPG

P1240830.JPG

Last edited:
More Molokini

DSCF1351.JPG

P1240797.JPG

P1240819.JPG

P1240821.JPG

“Snake Alert”

I spotted a Moray- in fact, a spotted Moray- who was chasing a fish. I got Ben’s and Mark’s attention and we were actually able to follow it for a minute or so before anyone else noticed, so we got some of the best looks we have ever had of a swimming eel.

DSCF1344.JPG

DSCF1345.JPG

P1240804.JPG

P1240807.JPG

Another highlight was seeing a fairly large octopus- about the size of a small Frisbee. With arms. We caught a quick glimpse as it burrowed into a rock.

Here is a picture of Mark trying to take a picture of the octopus.

P1240817.JPG

And here is the picture!!!

DSCF1358 - Copy (2).JPG

I didn’t even realize Mark got the octopus in the picture because it is so well camouflaged. Look just below and to the right of the white marking- you can see the eye. And you can just make out the rest of the head and some tentacles.

Last edited:

Second Snorkel Spot

We came back in and dried off before heading to our second snorkel spot.

Pulling away from Molokini

P1240850.JPG

P1240859.JPG

The normal place they go is a reef nicknamed “Turtle Town” because of the large number of turtles who gather at this natural cleaning station- the resident fish clean the turtles’ shells.

Unfortunately, there had been some storms over the past couple of days and visibility at Turtle Town was not good, so we were diverted to another spot, in front of this resort (sorry, can’t remember which one)

I didn’t really love this spot- It was deep and because it was not very sunny, it was pretty dark under the water. We didn’t see too much of interest here- some rays and a puffer fish.

P1240860.JPG

P1240863.JPG

P1240867.JPG

P1240869 - Copy (2).JPG

After coming back onboard, it was time for lunch- a delicious BBQ teriyaki chicken, salad, rice, rolls. The crew served us on plastic plates with real silverware and then came back through several times with seconds and thirds. The food was delicious! It really hit the spot after such an active morning.

P1240870.JPG

P1240871.JPG

Dessert was hot fudge sundaes in plastic cups.

The crew on board the Trilogy was top notch! Friendly and talkative, informative and the service they provided was impeccable!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Before returning to port, we sailed along the picturesque coastline. At one point, they even let one of the passengers pull up the sails and steer the catamaran!

DSCF1396 (2).jpg

DSCF1397 (2).jpg

DSCF1400 (2).jpg

DSCF1402 (2).jpg

DSCF1403 (2).jpg

P1240876.JPG

P1240872.JPG

P1240875.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Last edited:
Once returned to land, we stowed our bags and equipment to our rental car and as we looked into the water, we were able to watch a couple of turtles.

P1240884.JPG

P1240883.JPG

P1240882.JPG

P1240878.JPG

DSCF1410.JPG

P1240881 - Copy (2).JPG

We saw more turtles in the parking lot than we did on our snorkel trip!

I texted Nate to let him know we were done, and gave him instructions about how to get to us.

Next up: Maui Ocean Center

Last edited:

Wow! That's awesome that you were able to spot an eel and an octopus! We went on a snorkeling excursion on The Big Island and I think I enjoyed the boat ride out and the view of the island from the water almost as much as the snorkeling!

Oh dear. Yeah I can fully empathize with Nate's aversion to Taxis this trip. Hard to argue.

Those underwater photos are fantastic Dee. The water really is clear. But then... eel. Yeah, way to close to a snake, and Rob does not do snakes. Although seeing a Moray in the wild does sound pretty neat.

What a great experience. They really look like they took care of you.

Lunch looks fabulous. Thats really a nice spread!

How awesome to see all the sea life.
I agree...take a taxi or you don't come at all. LOL

Looks like you had a great day. I read a number of great reviews about Triology and that tour.

Sounds like a really worthwhile tour- too funny that you saw more turtles while you were on dry land than in the water:lmao:
Totally agree worth the taxi ride for Nate. Good to get some life lessons in before he heads for college too:thumbsup2

Trying to get caught up Dee. I've made it through the chapter where you nearly get scammed out of using your excursion coupon and asked to pay an extra $5 for a photo at Benihana. Way to hold your ground. Loving the report!

View attachment 90298

Continued in Next Post

Not sure if this is going to be a picture of not. But I am trying to post that super cute picture of you and Mark.

What an amazing day of snorkeling. You got some beautiful underwater pictures. Just lovely. Sorry the second place ended up being dark. That's sort of a bummer.

And that catamaran is quite a lovely boat. Well worth getting up early for such a great experience.

View attachment 90307

We saw more turtles in the parking lot than we did on our snorkel trip!

I texted Nate to let him know we were done, and gave him instructions about how to get to us.

Next up: Maui Ocean Center

I love this picture, too. That turtle is so cute with its nose poking out of the water.

Dee it was Old Lahaina luau. It was awesome.

The banyan tree covers a block. You would know if you seen it

I thought we missed it.

::yes::

Wow! That's awesome that you were able to spot an eel and an octopus! We went on a snorkeling excursion on The Big Island and I think I enjoyed the boat ride out and the view of the island from the water almost as much as the snorkeling!

We were really excited about the cool things we saw. And it was great that all 3 of us saw the eel and the octopus. We followed that eel for some time before others realized we were tracking it. Once others got involved we pulled away.

We were only on the Big Island for a day and had other plans, but I hear the snorkeling there is pretty spectacular- manta rays and sharks! I haven't seen a shark on past snorkeling trips, but I would love to see one out in the wild. We have snorkeled with sharks in controlled enviroments like Shark Reef at Disney, the big tank at Atlantis and at Dolphin Cove in Jamaica.

Stuarts Cove in the Bahamas offers a snorkel with the sharks excursion and I have even made up a tag line for the trip:

"Two-for-one shark dives: Bring your chum!"

:rotfl:

Oh dear. Yeah I can fully empathize with Nate's aversion to Taxis this trip. Hard to argue.

Those underwater photos are fantastic Dee. The water really is clear. But then... eel. Yeah, way to close to a snake, and Rob does not do snakes. Although seeing a Moray in the wild does sound pretty neat.

What a great experience. They really look like they took care of you.

Spoiler Alert! Nate survived the taxi ride.

I did not know that Rob does not do snakes. I am ok with snakes and eels. The only thing that makes me uncomfortable is when there is an eel out free swimming near the surface where I am. That happened to us in Cozumel. Still a very cool experience, but we kept our distance.

:magnify:

The Trilogy excursion was everything we hoped it would be!

:goodvibes:

Lunch looks fabulous. Thats really a nice spread!

How awesome to see all the sea life.
I agree...take a taxi or you don't come at all. LOL

Lunch was SOOOOO good, especially after being on and in the water all morning. We were really hungry and the food was delicious. We were pretty pleased with what we saw at the crater.

I was pretty adamant that Nate would have to come and meet us if he wanted to go to the aquarium.

:fish:

Looks like you had a great day. I read a number of great reviews about Triology and that tour.

We definitely give Trilogy

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Sounds like a really worthwhile tour- too funny that you saw more turtles while you were on dry land than in the water:lmao:
Totally agree worth the taxi ride for Nate. Good to get some life lessons in before he heads for college too:thumbsup2

I know for a lot of people, snorkeling with turtles was a priority. We have been fortunate that we have had a few occasions when we were able to swim with turtles (at the Barceló in Mexico, numerous friendly turtles) and even at our resort beach in Maui, so we weren't too disappointed that we didn't see turtles while we were snorkeling on the tour.

:tilt:

Trying to get caught up Dee. I've made it through the chapter where you nearly get scammed out of using your excursion coupon and asked to pay an extra $5 for a photo at Benihana. Way to hold your ground. Loving the report!

Thanks, Glenn!

My husband and I make a great team- I am a cheapskate and he is very, very good at arguing in a calm, polite but convincing manner. My oldest son just told me everything he knows about debating he learned from Mark.

It's too bad the photographer took such a nice picture of the 4 of us and then tried to get extra money, and that I was too stubborn to pay it.

:sad2:

Loved the snorkeling pics! I've got to figure out a way to do that without drowning! :scared1:

I am so disappointed that Nate does not love to snorkel. Some of it is a coordination issue, some is that he doesn't love to swim. A little TMI- he actually tossed his cookies and fed the fish one time when we were snorkeling because he swallowed salt water.

I have been tempted to get him a clear float so he can comfortably see the beautiful things that are under the water.

:)

Not sure if this is going to be a picture of not. But I am trying to post that super cute picture of you and Mark.

What an amazing day of snorkeling. You got some beautiful underwater pictures. Just lovely. Sorry the second place ended up being dark. That's sort of a bummer.

And that catamaran is quite a lovely boat. Well worth getting up early for such a great experience.

I really like that picture of the two of us, too. :hug:

Taking pictures underwater is my fetish!

Most of the excursions we did in Hawaii were early morning, but since we never fully adjusted to HI time, it was no problem.

:cool2:

I love this picture, too. That turtle is so cute with its nose poking out of the water.

We got some pretty decent views of the turtles from shore. It was fun to watch them while we waited for Nate.

:)

We didn't make it to Haleakala, but the visitor's center at Kilahuea was pretty cool!
The visitor center at Kilahuea is the best one, anyway, although the crater at Haleakala is more dramatic because it is closer to the center. We never had a chance to take our daughters to Haleakala since it was covered in clouds for our whole trip.
We also went into a popular island tourist shop, Hilo Hatties, but we didn’t purchase anything.
We used to shop at Hilo Hatties and buy just enough stuff to get a free mug. I have at least three or four of them and we only had to spend something like $20 for each mug. It was a bargain compared to Disney mugs. ;)

The ice is shaved into special cups and then the flavor syrup is added. There are signs all over that they are happy to add more flavor as you start eating, especially if you encounter white spots.
The shave ice looks delicious. Liliko'i is one of my favorite flavors. :)

The boys returned to the room, Mark and I stopped at one of the pools- this ended up being a nightly ritual and it was great because very few people were at the pools when we visited.
Yes, you definitely need to return to Hawaii without the boys. ;)

We then returned to the beach for the sunset
Watching sunrises and sunsets are some of my favorite things to do in Hawaii. We used to stay at a condo in Poipu Beach on the island of Kauai. It is at the southern tip of the island and we could walk to the rocky coast from our condo, or stay on the balcony if the view was good enough, to watch the sunrise. And it was a short walk to the nearby beach to see the sunset. I loved it. :lovestruc

Unfortunately, there had been some storms over the past couple of days and visibility at Turtle Town was not good, so we were diverted to another spot, in front of this resort (sorry, can’t remember which one)

I didn’t really love this spot- It was deep and because it was not very sunny, it was pretty dark under the water. We didn’t see too much of interest here- some rays and a puffer fish.
That looks like the area where we went snorkeling, but the water was clear when we were there.

After coming back onboard, it was time for lunch- a delicious BBQ teriyaki chicken, salad, rice, rolls. The crew served us on plastic plates with real silverware and then came back through several times with seconds and thirds. The food was delicious! It really hit the spot after such an active morning.
Lunch looks really good. Your snorkel trip looks like it was a success. Did Ben enjoy it, too?

Most of the excursions we did in Hawaii were early morning, but since we never fully adjusted to HI time, it was no problem.
We were early birds in Hawaii, too. We'd be wide awake by 4:30 - 5am. We'd eat our big meal at lunch time which would be dinner time at home. And we'd go to bed early, which was pretty easy since there wasn't a lot of nightlife there anyway. :)

Sorry I am behind, Dee. I am caught up now just before I go.

What great pictures at Molokini Crater. You got some great photos underwater...love the fish and the eel. And how cool that Mark got a picture of the octupus.

Sorry the next spot was a bit dark and you didn't see much.

Lunch looks yummy.

And I love the turtles that you saw once you docked.

Oh dear...I hope Nate finds you.

Hello Dee - Sorry I've not been actively following on a regular base...Getting Midori ready for her 2 month trip to Korea scheduled in June...

Love the trip report and all the pictures...Glad you made it to Hawaii with the Sequoia and Bluebonnet seeds. Midori & I are planning some out of he way vacations before she goes off to college..

Bob

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter