A Tale of [family madness in] Two Cities - Final Thoughts & PTR Link!

Another great update. Candlelight Processional looks really good and it looks like you had great narrators. Glad your MIL liked Soarin so much. Sorry that Joe didn't understand where the VIP section was. It is frustrating how sometimes our DH's just don't comprehend what we are telling them. Your pictures were amazing as always!

Glad you enjoyed Mary Poppins minus the commentaries from the people around you. I would love to see that show one day!

How sad though that you had your ME envelope waiting for you and looking forward to seeing how you spent the day on NYE and what the crowds looked like.

Too many fun things to comment on.

Very glad to see you are settled in NYC and back on the DIS.

Fantastic photos as always!

Love the one of you and your corn dogs in front of the castle. :rotfl:

As some others have said, I have never had ANY desire to try Biergarten but your pictures and description have me thinking I should perhaps give it a try!

Illuminations with the holiday ending is the best!

Hate that magical express envelope on the door! :sad2:

So happy to hear you are going back in September!! :yay:

I forgot to say that Candelight processional looks amazing! I wish I could see it. When we went, we had no reservation and at 3-5pm, the line was already pretty long.

Glad you had fun at the show! Sooo jealous! lol. But wow, so annoying about the people in front of you. Really don't get why people have to act like that! I would've been ticked!

That's also cool on how Epcot says goodnight in the different languages. Did not know they did that. Pretty neato!

Yay Brook!! I am so glad to see that you are back! I have loved reading about NYC and seeing your photo tours but there's something about your WDW storytelling and the photos that is just magical to me!

I literally cheered when I read that you had not sold your DVC and were going again this fall. It was loud enough, in fact, to make my hubby turn around and wonder what all the fuss was about. :lmao:

I am so impressed with all you were able to do, even with those crowds. I was a tour guide like that for my family and you are right, you are so busy worrying about everyone else's fun that sometimes it's hard to stop and remember to enjoy the magic!

As many of you know, we have arrived in New York City! I have so many details and stories to share...

and a trip report to finish...

and I better finish it before September 3rd because...

WE JUST BOOKED A TRIP!!!! :yay::yay::yay:

I cannot recall off hand if I mentioned it here, but the buyer for our DVC flaked out and it's a good thing because we are KEEPIN' THAT BABY! :banana::banana::banana:

Joe got an awesome job here which allows us to keep our DVC and take a September trip! We are currently booked for 2 nights at the Boardwalk and wait listed for 3 nights. It's a shorter trip, but it's a trip!!

I WILL be back on and WILL reply and finish this TR. I am currently still surrounded by cardboard boxes, so the necessities of life prevail; however, very, very soon you will see our faces here again!

So great that you got to keep the DVC. Even though I have never met you guys, I felt sorry for you having to sell your DVC. So now I can be happy again. YEAH.:yay:

He was highly, highly frustrated and refused to come back. Which made me very, very annoyed with my dear husband who just skipped Soarin' so his wife could ride.

:rolleyes1

It was not my finest moment.

With much annoyance I led KK and I over to the bridge. Grammy and Poppa were thrilled with their tree and light post obstructed view. They didn't care, Grammy found a step to sit on, we found a spot for Poppa - they were good. I should have been too, but I wasn't. I was irritated. I was tired. I was sick of being the "leader" of the group and the whole typical wife problem where you feel your husband never hears you despite telling him where the VIP seating was 83829292 times!!!!!

Whew.

I can so relate to this. I love my DH, but sometimes and even at Disney, I just want to scream. I really think if a husband and wife can survive a trip to Disney without killing each other, it's a sign of a long and happy marriage. And the sad thing is that just like your case, it all works out and then I'm left wondering why did I just get all upset over that. :confused3 Who knows.

Brook, you are a trooper! It is hard to be the "leader" of so many! I am the designated one in our family but there are just the 4 of us. I'm glad Illuminations cheered you up... :)
Isn't it amazing that people spend money to go to the to shows and then they talk or text or whatever throughout the entire thing??!! I was just at a high school graduation where the lady in front of me read emails, texted AND messed with her live dog that she had in her purse!!! Can you believe that one??!! :confused3 I was sooo distracted by it all! :confused: I guess there is some stuff I just don't get....
Mary Poppins is my favorite... hoping to see her next month! She must wonder about these adults who come up and gush about her and in reality the poor girl playing the part wasn't even born when I was so in to her as a little girl! :rotfl:

More great updates:cool1:
love all the pictures, and the ones of Illumintaions makes me want to actually see it for once. We never do too much in Epcot, and so we arent usually there in the evening. I need to make an effort to make sure we see this on our next trip. Thanks for the pictures.
Sorry about the stress of meeting up with Joe. I hate to be in Disney and stressed at the same time. Just puts everything in a bad state. Glad you were able to get past it and ENJOY

Oh yeah--have a MAGICAL time tonight at Mary Poppins! Hoping to hear lots on your blog and see lots of pictures too from your evening :) You lucky duck!

The first time I saw Illuminations I was kinda like "okay, that was nice." and we skipped it our 2nd trip - we saw Wishes instead...but from then one we have always made it a point to see both, and while Wishes is still my favorite, this one has grown on me. It's beautiful.

That evening in EPCOT wasn't the best, but it turned out lovely. One thing I forgot about in my update was that Henry asked for popcorn right before Illuminations and I practically walked the ENTIRE World Showcase looking for popcorn and none to be found! :confused3 That was before Joe and I made up, so I had some adrenaline pumping my legs around the lagoon. :laughing:

I hate when this thing it hanging on the knob. It makes it all too real.

I know! Real world calling us back. Blah. Thankfully on this trip it wasn't back to real world, but onward to another adventure in New Orleans! :thumbsup2

I have never ever wanted to try Biergarten, but now after your wonderful post about it, it is suddenly on my radar! It sounds like a fun and delicious meal!!! :thumbsup2

The Candlelight Processional sounds just lovely -- I am glad Henry was able to stay entertained with his coloring book and the camera!

The Holiday Illuminations pictures are breathtaking!

It is a lot of fun, the music is great and the food was awesome! It seems to usually get good reviews, except a meh one here and there. But I do think there is enough on the buffet to please everyone.

The CP is a beautiful show. If you ever can make it in December definitely fit this in!

I hope you are enjoying Mary Poppins. I am VERY jealous.

It's hard being the leader and I just lead Marc around Disney. I can't imagine leading such a large group like you were!! Sometimes you need moments like those so you can regain perspective. I'm glad you were able to enjoy Illuminations though.

Soarin is the best, Grammy knows what she is talking about! :thumbsup2

The whole week had exhausted me. Leading newbies, and that many people through those crowds, constantly answering a zillion questions and on top of it caring for a 2 year old (though, Joe did MUCH of that because I was playing Tour Guide Barbie!). When we got to NOLA I just wanted to sleep! :laughing:

I've never been tempted to try Biergarten, the menu just doesn't appeal to me, but I'd probably be able to make a meal out of that pretzel bread and cheesecake! I do love your pictures from the inside of the restaurant, it's very pretty :thumbsup2

Thanks for the video from the Candlelight Processional, it took me right back to when we saw it - gave me chills again, it was so wonderful! :goodvibes

Sorry about the stress over the Illuminations viewing spot, if it makes you feel any better we checked the reserved area out when we went and it was an awfully small area to be able to hold people from 3 different showings of the CP - there is a good chance you wouldn't have gotten a decent spot anyway......

Can't wait to hear about Mary Poppins, I'm so jealous!

Oh ya, a meal of the pretzel bread and cheesecake would be sufficient. ;) There are several potato dishes too, so chances are you'd like one of those as well! A nicely balanced meal.

I remember reading about the VIP spot being so tiny after we got home from our trip! I wonder why they had such a small area?!?! So it all worked out in the end, and probably saved us ALL some frustration.

Biergarten- how I await thee with the greatest of anticipatory dreams... :cloud9: Little spaeltzels come to me, and fill me with delight....

You lucky ducky getting to see Mary Poppins! I know you had a GREAT time!!

:rotfl: You sounds like me and the Corn Dog Nuggets! :goodvibes But, I have to agree, it's all good over at Biergarten. My Mom lived in Germany for a year after she was married (my dad was stationed there) and misses the food incredibly. She will be in EPCOT for one day in October with a friend and I told her to make a reservation here! I hope they follow my advice, she'll LOVE it I'm sure!

It feels totally surreal to be able to decide the night before to go to a Broadway show. "What do you want to do tomorrow Mom?" "Let's go see Mary Poppins." "Okay, I'll get the tickets online." And every Sunday on our way to church we walk past the Gershwin (where Wicked it showing). I mean really...it's so weird and yet so very cool. We love it here!

Awe!! Thanks for the review. It is on my list of Broadway shows I want to see!

It's AWESOME. I have seen quite a few shows over the years, and this one just took my breath away. I haven't told Joe a thing about it because I want him to go see it too!

Oh goodness. The theater looks beautiful. I'd love to go see Mary Poppins in NY. Sigh. Someday.

You should come!! I have no idea exactly where you are, but I'm pretty sure there are cheap-ish buses that run in your direction from NYC. The detail in the theater is gorgeous. There was a lot of detailing I couldn't capture due to the low-lighting.

So cool that you were able to get back in the CP theater by giving a password! The show looks absolutely incredible--I really wish we had made time to see in in December.

Glad Grammy loved Soarin'. :thumbsup2 Sorry about the misunderstanding about the Illuminations viewing spot, but it sounds like it worked out in the end.

I have no idea why, but I got choked up when you mentioned and showed pictures of the different good-by's on SE. All of a sudden I had a rush of memories about our adults only trip and seeing the same thing. :goodvibes

Mary Poppins sounds so awesome! I really, really want to see a Broadway show someday!

I felt kinda stealth like giving a password. :cool2: :laughing: Do you have plans for another December trip sometime? It's well worth the time to go...it's beautiful!

I totally understand about getting choked up during people's TRs at random pictures - same thing happens to me! :hug: That's another great thing about TRs, they really take you back to some wonderful moments from your own trips.

I hope you are able to see a show someday, they truly are incredible. The artistry in each of them, the sets, the acting, the music, the dancing, the singing....:cloud9: Meanwhile you can get a great taste of it all at the WDW shows - they really do an excellent job in the parks!

Ah, your pictures so made me want to head to NYC to see a Broadway show again! :lovestruc

That's a shame about the talkative people! Really, why do people go to a show if they aren't even going to pay attention??? :sad2:

You saw Mary Poppins, right? Where did you guys go see it? What show did you see here? If you ever decide to go for it, let me know, I'll meet you there! :laughing: There isn't much on Broadway (or off-Broadway) that I don't want to see!

I so don't understand the people talking thing. I mean yes, we were in the "cheap seats", but $50 isn't really all that cheap in my opinion!

The pictures of the CP and of Illuminations were wonderful, plus the videos. It makes me want to go to Disney all the more in December. Maybe I need a Birthday trip.

::yes:: the little extras in December are wonderful. I loved seeing the Holiday Parade at MK, and it snowing on Main Street was a lot of fun - plus Holiday Wishes, and the OSBORNE LIGHTS!!! :cloud9: and all this at EPCOT. We didn't get to see the Jingle parade at AK though. It truly is a great time to go to the World!

Another great update. Candlelight Processional looks really good and it looks like you had great narrators. Glad your MIL liked Soarin so much. Sorry that Joe didn't understand where the VIP section was. It is frustrating how sometimes our DH's just don't comprehend what we are telling them. Your pictures were amazing as always!

Glad you enjoyed Mary Poppins minus the commentaries from the people around you. I would love to see that show one day!

How sad though that you had your ME envelope waiting for you and looking forward to seeing how you spent the day on NYE and what the crowds looked like.

The narrators were excellent, they put so much emotion into it all, which really made the show even more moving.

NYE was a very fun day for me - if I can remember correctly I have some good crowd pictures...it was an experience!

Too many fun things to comment on.

Very glad to see you are settled in NYC and back on the DIS.

Fantastic photos as always!

Love the one of you and your corn dogs in front of the castle. :rotfl:

As some others have said, I have never had ANY desire to try Biergarten but your pictures and description have me thinking I should perhaps give it a try!

Illuminations with the holiday ending is the best!

Hate that magical express envelope on the door! :sad2:

So happy to hear you are going back in September!! :yay:

Thank you! We are almost settled...I feel unsettled though because we still don't have our "routine" down. First 2 weeks were unpacking and getting the house ready, then this past week my Mom was visiting...so it's been a whirlwind. Hopefully this week will go by slowly and we can just live a normal life! Next week we have more visitors. :laughing: August will be quiet though!

I never really had the desire for Biergarten either - Joe would always mention it and I would nix it. I'm VERY glad we tried it though. I don't know how I would like it during hot weather, as much of the food is "comfort food" - but in December it was perfect.

I'm so excited about September! I just need to get some good planning time in still!

I forgot to say that Candelight processional looks amazing! I wish I could see it. When we went, we had no reservation and at 3-5pm, the line was already pretty long.

The "standby" line was REALLY long. I remember seeing it start before we went to our Biergarten ADR. I wonder how many of those people actually made it in?

Glad you had fun at the show! Sooo jealous! lol. But wow, so annoying about the people in front of you. Really don't get why people have to act like that! I would've been ticked!

That's also cool on how Epcot says goodnight in the different languages. Did not know they did that. Pretty neato!

The show was beautifully done! I hope Joe and I can go sometime in the future, and get better seats, so he can enjoy it all. It truly is a magical show.

I didn't remember ever seeing the "goodnight" in the various languages either, I'm wondering if its a holiday thing, or did I just never notice/remember from previous trips?

Yay Brook!! I am so glad to see that you are back! I have loved reading about NYC and seeing your photo tours but there's something about your WDW storytelling and the photos that is just magical to me!

I literally cheered when I read that you had not sold your DVC and were going again this fall. It was loud enough, in fact, to make my hubby turn around and wonder what all the fuss was about. :lmao:

I am so impressed with all you were able to do, even with those crowds. I was a tour guide like that for my family and you are right, you are so busy worrying about everyone else's fun that sometimes it's hard to stop and remember to enjoy the magic!

Oh, that is very sweet! Thank you! I think I like my WDW storytelling the best too...it's vacation after all, not normal life! :laughing:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:That is hilarious about you cheering!!! THANK YOU! :hug: When I emailed the Timeshare Store and told them to take it off the market, as our financial situation had changed, they emailed me back with a big congratulations. It was very sweet. She said they don't get many stories like that, and its always wonderful to hear. We, of course, are thrilled...and hopefully our BWV waitlist will come through so we can stay at Joe's dream resort as a bit of a "celebration" that we got to keep it!

It was harder to enjoy the magic this trip. After we were done I told Joe our next trip had to be just us three. It wasn't that it was BAD, but it was just different. I feel like I missed out on some of the magic...but we did create some wonderful memories with Grammy and Poppa and KK, so I wouldn't change it in a second.

So great that you got to keep the DVC. Even though I have never met you guys, I felt sorry for you having to sell your DVC. So now I can be happy again. YEAH.:yay:

Thank you!!! :hug: I'm glad you are happy again. :laughing: ;) Truly though, that is very sweet - I really appreciate everyone's thoughtfulness...it puts a huge sappy smile on my face!

I can so relate to this. I love my DH, but sometimes and even at Disney, I just want to scream. I really think if a husband and wife can survive a trip to Disney without killing each other, it's a sign of a long and happy marriage. And the sad thing is that just like your case, it all works out and then I'm left wondering why did I just get all upset over that. :confused3 Who knows.

:rotfl: exactly! Usually Joe and I tour pretty well together. We know what we like to do, and we are both focused on what Henry likes, so that makes it easier. But when he doesn't listen...:headache: :laughing:

Brook, you are a trooper! It is hard to be the "leader" of so many! I am the designated one in our family but there are just the 4 of us. I'm glad Illuminations cheered you up... :)
Isn't it amazing that people spend money to go to the to shows and then they talk or text or whatever throughout the entire thing??!! I was just at a high school graduation where the lady in front of me read emails, texted AND messed with her live dog that she had in her purse!!! Can you believe that one??!! :confused3 I was sooo distracted by it all! :confused: I guess there is some stuff I just don't get....
Mary Poppins is my favorite... hoping to see her next month! She must wonder about these adults who come up and gush about her and in reality the poor girl playing the part wasn't even born when I was so in to her as a little girl! :rotfl:

I think the hardest part of being the leader this trip was that family doesn't express much opinion. They just want to do whatever I want to do. So, I had to lead and make decisions - just hoping I would be making ones that they would enjoy. KK did express her opinion/desires a bit more often, which was helpful, but no matter how many times I asked Grammy or Poppa they just put it back on me. I get why, they just wanted to be there and be with the family - but I hated for them to pay so much just to watch us have fun! :laughing: Thankfully it all did work out!

A live dog!??!?! Are you serious?! Why did she even bother going?! Ugh. I don't get it either. I think it's highly rude to those around and disrespectful to the people in the show. :sad2:

:lmao: That's hilarious about Mary Poppins!! I thought about staying after in attempts for an autograph, but didn't want to fight the crowds, plus it was pretty late already. Are you coming to NYC for the show?

I know I have had a few personal updates lately...but I just have to share one more! One I am very excited about!

So, as you know, we just moved to NYC about a month ago. Within our first week here we found ourselves on Times Square and we spotted a store front with the usual construction plywood in front of it...but this wasn't just any construction plywood...it was for the new Disney store going into Times Square! :yay: Henry spotted the giant Buzz Lightyear on it from about 2 blocks away. :laughing:

You may or may not know they closed the World of Disney they had on 5th Avenue. The goal was to open one on Times Square eventually, but no time frame had been given. In this New York Times article it describes the future store, designed by Steve Jobs of Apple Computers...which is very exciting - that man knows how to design a store! The 5th Avenue Apple store is an experience.

Anyway, the article describes some of the features the new store will have, including an interactive Castle and a real theater for children. It sounds incredible! Steve Jobs also suggested that Disney open a "beta" store designed just like they want this one, so they can test the reactions of the market before pouring so much money into the Times Square store.

Then I noticed this blog from the DIS folks. This must be the beta store, and it sounds AWESOME!

I'm very, very excited about this opening here!! It it scheduled for "Fall 2010".

36895_10150207066925285_500090284_13258410_4952594_n.jpg

To infinity and beyond! :goodvibes

We left off just as we were about to enter into Biergarten for our early dinner. I was a bit nervous about this ADR, despite hearing many, many positive reviews. I don't know why I was nervous - the entire family was gung-ho on it, but I was.

Ok, I think I need to comment on this event a bit more in depth! ;)

I am not sure I did notice this before, but do you see these coat of arms? They are the coat of arms of the German states (Länder as we call them) - Germany is a federal republic similar to the US. And the black bear on top is the Berlin Bear!

We entered and were all taken with how beautiful it is inside! It looks like you are in a little town, eating in the middle of the town square.

769400845_pvzyk-M.jpg

769411821_Jn2Cs-M.jpg

I think this is one of the best interior shots I have seen of Biergarten! It really looks lovely. It does not look so much like a real Biergarten (which is a garden - normally you sit under huge chestnut trees), but like a town beer festival. Nearly every town has this in the summer time. They put up these long tables and benches on the town square and have a band on a stand playing music.

And the flags again are from the German states. The one in the second picture with the blue and white rhombus pattern is Bavaria. :goodvibes

759645476_W9Gsy-M.jpg

My first plate. Pretzel bread! I think the meat back there with the sauce is pork loin.

Those little dumplings/noodles to the right of the carrots in your picture are spätzle. And the meat indeed does look like roast pork loin.

769411846_mmM8t-M.jpg

KK's first plate. We all loved the dumplings they had.

KK had a real potatoe dumpling! :cool1: And the brown thing on the bottom right is a slice of rye bread. That type of bread is very common here, but it can be a bit dry. You really need some butter to go with it and we then put slices of sausages or ham on top! If you ever heard a German talking about missing German bread, that's the stuff they are talking about. :cloud9:

759645479_Ldfky-M.jpg

I liked the glasses the beverages came in!

And they are very authentic! In such a setting you would get soft drinks in beer glasses!

759645524_ygVWV-M.jpg

I haven't a clue what these are!

The cake on the left is Stollen, a typical Christmas cake. So I guess it was there for the season.

The glass in the back of the plate with something dark inside must be Rote Grütze, a red fruit jelly which is one of my favourite deserts. :love:

I love the card which looks like a beer mug! I guess it is the beer menu?

Wonderful update! I think I need to eat lunch at Biergarten next time I am in Epcot.

I also really enjoyed your other updates. I am sorry that you had such a bad start to Illuminations, but am glad that you got over it. I totally understand the stress of leading such a large group of first timers. There were times when I found it stressful to be with just one first timer. :goodvibes I guess the problem was that I just wanted it to be magical for my sister and therefore was thinking to little about me.

All caught up!

So many wonderful pictures!

I'm glad you liked Biergarten! We'll be headed there again in December! FIL LOVES it! I can't believe no one would dance with you! :confused3 I totally would have!!!! My kiddos loved to dance there, I had a hard time getting them to sit and eat!

I'm glad everyone liked WS and Soarin so much! I'm really hoping DH will do Soarin with me in Oct!

I think we all have a few less then stellar moments from WDW trips that we could share! tired, crowded, long days will do that to a person! The good thing is that you got over it quickly and made up with Joe! Not letting it spoil the fun is important! I've been there, done that and not don't want to go back! I can actually think of two times I was in tears in WDW trips! Once was when I was pregnant with Ryan and all emotional, DH wanted to go in a different door at Hoop De Doo then they told us to. It caused and argument, I cried and MIL yelled at DH for making me cry! THe second was a the morning after I didn't get to go on Keys to the Kingdom because the boys were sick. DH felt it necessary to try to give me his own KTTK tour and I got really annoyed with him!!! UGH!

Anyway, I'll stop babbling now! Can't wait for more!

Love the updates! The Candlelight Processional is amazing, isn't it? We stopped and watched most of it on our Dec. '08 trip and I loved it. Sadly my sister lost interest and we ended up going somewhere else. :rolleyes: But I loved the music!

Aww, those pictures of SSE with the "goodnight" lighting on it kind of makes me sad. LOL. But the one of the ME envelope is even worse. I hate seeing those things. My only comfort is when I see them on other people's doors too.

Glad you enjoyed the Mary Poppins show! We saw that when we were in NYC last year (in fact our hotel was right across from the theater). Such a good show!

Man that store from the blog looks amazing! I'll be waiting with bated breath to see what the NYC store looks like! Then I'll be wishing that their next stop for the next gen store is somewhere near me. :lmao:

A girl can dream right?

Caught up now - you were in my old hood seeing Mary Poppins. I worked at 1515 Broadway when we loved in NY - right in the middle of everything. And in the time we were there, never saw a Disney show! :eek:

Your photos of all the decorations and CP really really make me want to go in early December to see everything...maybe one of these years I'll be able to talk Mark into it.

And don't worry about the frustration with Joe - I know I've had it with Mark a couple of times and usually it's due to just being tired. Like you guys, we are usually over it pretty quick and go forward with the fun. Perhaps it's because we are such good planners and they are not always good ones. :laughing:

Wow-so many updates I'd missed!

I loved hearing about the rest of your evening at EP. We watched CP the night before(I think) on the 29th. Angela Bassett and Courtney Vance were the narrators too. I thought they did a great job--very theatrical, voices. :goodvibes

Mary Poppins sounds like a fun time. The theater is beautiful! So exciting, living in NYC- you have access to all that any time! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter