• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A surprise addition to our trip and life!

crazyforgoofy

Congratulations. I admire you for taking on a responsibility of this magnitude. My own MIL and FIL have taken in their grandsons. Isabella is a very lucky little girl to have you. I think it is wonderful that you are taking her to WDW so that she can have a chance to just be a child. It sounds as though she was forced to grow up too quickly. She will eventually learn to trust you and taking her to WDW will be a wonderful initiation into your family for her.

I completely concur with others that have stated on this board that you should purchase some type of light weight stroller (gate check if flying) it is just too difficult to carry your child from the theme parks to the bus/monorail or whatever other form of intermediate transport to your resort.

If she likes princesses you should try to book the Princess Storybook Breakfast in Norway ( much easier to get then Cinderella's Royal Table).

My daughter loves: At The MK:
-The Enchanted Tiki Room
-The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
-Jungle Cruise
-Country Bear Jamboree
-Tom Sawyer Island
-Haunted Mansion
-Peter Pan's Flight
-It's A Small World
-Dumbo
-Winnie The Pooh
-Tea Party
-Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin

God Bless
MandaMom

Congratulations & best wishes on this new chapter in your lives. What a difference for the world you are going to make by taking in Isabella.

I have not been to DisneyWorld yet with my family, but I would definitely plan on having a stroller of my own there. My just-turned-5 has always needed a stroller (great for all our bags too) or wagon when we've been to local fairs or events that mean a lot of walking. And we are a family of walkers. I just think it will help with the peace a lot more on your already-planned trip with your husband. Those little legs will wear out a lot earlier than yours. Stroller can carry the knapsack when she does walk. When her legs are tired it's there for her. You can keep on going & she will be very happy likely to keep taking in all the wonderful Xmas sights you will see.

The other advice I have (from someone still raising her 4 -- jury's still out LOL!) is to make it clear in a nice way of course, that this trip to Disney so soon after her arrival in your home is a wonderful change of the usual. A vacation, a magical place & time that is a change for your household -- i.e. not something that happens monthly or even every time the Xmas trees go up in your town, etc.

Those videos mentioned previously are great. We got ours pretty cheaply at WalMart. And a mention that the characters are the size of Daddy (or whoever) or some local large walking character you may see at a Xmas parade, etc. My youngest was quite afraid of the large characters we see at fairs here and last year (age 4) finally approached one with reservations. Prepare her in advance & take it easy there. She may like Mickey just fine from the comfort of your arms or stroller 4 feet away. So many wonderful things to do & see (& photograph) there that her hugging a character is not a MUST do.

Good luck & have a truly magical vacation together!

Originally posted by crazyforgoofy
This is a child who doesn't believe in Santa Claus and isn't sure grownups tell the truth. She doesn't have a lot of illusions but we hope to help her believe in magic by the time we return home.

Thanks again for your advice and encouragement.

Mary Alice

She sounds like she has already stolen your heart (and mine as well). I can think of no better place on earth to put magic back into a little girls life than WDW. You are a very special couple to do this for her and it sure sounds like the three of you are blessed to have each other! Good luck with everything, and please keep us posted.

Does the expression "head over heels" sound familiar? Gary has already made her feel like a princess with a Disney princess poster for her room and 4 new Princess t-shirts. She's wearing us out but we're loving it.

Go & have a great time with that little angel.

I work w/ small children & they just want to be hugged, loved, kept safe & respected.

Let her enjoy all the magic every day & then tuck her in at night, tell her how special she is & that you can't wait for tomorrow.

What a blessing for you & your DH.

Originally posted by crazyforgoofy
This is a child who doesn't believe in Santa Claus and isn't sure grownups tell the truth.

That has got to be the saddest thing I've ever heard! I think the trip to WDW will be wonderful for all of you - and I'm sure it will help your little girl believe in all things magical.

Best of luck with your new life. :sunny:

(Be sure to let us know how your trip went)

Sorry it took so long to reply, we were at Disney World last week. It was great! Anyway the videos are both SingAlong Songs and both be found at Walmart or Target etc. Disneyland Fun (volume 7) is pretty old but still available. It was taped at Disneyland but the things are mostly the same as DisneyWorld. If you have been to both you will notice the differences but my guess is that the kids will not. The other is newer and called Flik's Musical Adventure at Disney's Animal Kingdom. We also have the Beach Party I love to dance around to that one! There is also Mickey's Fun Songs - Campout at Walt Disney World and Mickey's Fun Songs - Let's Go To The Circus. Both of these are good to but do not show the parks. Happy planning!

I bought a really good stroller for my third child (had double one for twins first time around) He is now 6 and we still use it. Even our big boys sit on the front for a rest. I agree with the poster who says you need something comfy. Your 4 yr old will use it for a long time yet! She will even sleep in it this trip or next. Don't buy a flimsy one. You need to (I am sure you will agree after) a really good one for an older child. You can also put all extra "stuff" on it.
It was an important part of our trip

You will be a blessing in her life and vice-versa. WDW is a real treat and you will all love it. This is a child who needs to see some "magic"!

My DS used his umbrella stroller at WDW until he was 7. We bought one at Wal Mart with a little basket in the back. It was about $30, not the cheapaest ones, so it was pretty sturdy.

We used it on 3 trips. It much better than renting. It can be a trek from the parks to the parking lots or the bus stops to your room.

I think she will have a wonderful time!

And Congrats on your new addition!:D She is lucky to have grandparents like you.

God Bless You -- best of luck to you with your grandaughter.

I found it easier to bring my own stroller then to stand in the rental line.

My kids were terrified of Honey I Shrunk the Audience and I saw a small girl clawing over the seats to get out of the Little Mermaid. My kids weren't afraid of that show but they were older, youngest DD was 6 at the time.

Sunscreen - I love Neutrogena, they make an oilfree sunscreen stick that is great for the face and non-greasy.

This is a trip report I can't wait to read! We'd love to hear all about Isabella's trip.

Best wishes for your trip and your new life!

(on edit)
My husband and his brother were raised by his grandparents for several years while his mother (in another state) "got her life together" (issues similar to your stepdaughters.) He says the years he spent with his grandparents were the best things that ever happened to him, and made him the man he is today (a wonderful one, I can attest.) He eventually went back to his mother when he became a teenager and his grandparents could no longer care for he abd his brother, but I think he always felt that, depsite his love for his mother (who we have a good relationship with to this day) that his grandparents really "parented" him. This is going to be a wonderful thing for Isabella and a great adventrue for you and your husband.

Mary Alice - I would mention as much of the situation as you feel comfortable sharing to the cast members in reservations. Perhaps they can "start her believing in magic" right from the time you check in (a note from Mickey or balloon). Also, perhaps they can give her a big personal hello when you get to the hotel. I can imagine how much you want to make this little girl feel secure and wanted.

Also, regarding the stroller - my daughter weighs about 27 lbs and fits just fine in any stroller - IF she'll let you put her in it. She loves to be carried, too, but is completely uncooperative about the stoller (although shoulder rides and back packs are OK)

Good luck. I hope this is a wonderful experience for ALL of you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter