A Split Stay POP and AKL Solo Trip Report (10/21-10/31) w/ lots of PICS! ***New 3/13

Wow I didn't even know Pop Century did that! At least, I never got chosen when I stayed there last year. Guess we weren't messy enough :laughing: Congrats on being chosen!

Can't wait to hear about the Backstage Magic tour!!!

Questions for you: I'm going to be exchanging my Annual Pass voucher and buying a TIW card upon my arrival in a couple of weeks. Do you need to show I.D.? Did the whole process take very long? I'll be doing the whole transaction at Guest Services in Epcot. Hope to get Pluto for my AP :goodvibes

Love your kitties by the way.
Yes you definitely need ID when you get your Annual Pass. The whole thing didn't take very long - maybe 15 minutes tops?

Perfect timing on you Captain Cook's dinner! Very cool about getting turndown and chocolates!
It was an awesome surprise! I didn't even realize they were still doing stuff like that now that the Year(s) of A Million Dreams was over.

***Spoiler Alert***

This post will contain information about the Backstage Magic tour that you may want to keep a surprise if you are planning on taking the tour.

Since I had gone to bed pretty early the night before, I woke up way too early on this morning - like 5:30! And I couldn't get back to sleep. I watched TV for a while and then decided to get up and get ready. It was a little too early for breakfast so I walked around the resort to get pictures.

Despite the fact that it looks like it's nighttime in these photos, they were really taken just before 7am.

0910220103.jpg

0910220104.jpg

0910220110.jpg

0910220111.jpg

Around 7:00 I grabbed my refillable mug and walked over to Everything Pop. It was very empty and I got my breakfast quickly. I sat over by the TV and watched some Playhouse Disney show while I ate. I'm not sure the sound on the TV was even working, it was a nice, quiet breakfast.

I left for Epcot at around 8:10. I didn't need to be at Guest Relations until 8:45 but I was worried about getting there since it would be my first time driving to a park. I shouldn't have worried at all, it was extremely easy and almost impossible to get lost. I was outside Epcot by 8:20 which included walking from the parking lot.

0910220118.jpg

The instructions I was given when I booked the tour were to arrive at Guest Relations outside the park by 8:45 to check-in. I walked over to Guest Relations and they directed me to stand over by some plants to wait for the guides. I was surprised at how big of a group there ended up being. There were maybe 30 people? While we were waiting I met the weird guy...of course, the weird guys always find me! He was a foreign guy who was OBSESSED with Theme Parks. He had built some of his own rides with his friends and wanted to know everything about the rides. He had to be reigned in a couple times by our guides during the tour.

Speaking of the guides, they showed up just in time. Jeff and Walt were the main guides and they had Fran helping them get us all ready to head out. First we were checked-in by Walt who checked our picture ID to make sure we were legit and gave us our name tags. One woman didn't have her photo ID and they drove her back to her resort to pick it up. Jeff followed Walt telling us about lunch and asking if we had any food allergies. Finally Fran came around and gave everybody an ear piece so we could hear Jeff and Walt along the way.

After all the formalities we were taken to the bus. We had a Mears bus with a really great driver, Brian. He does most of the tours and really knew his way around even when there were detours to make.

Funnily enough, even though we started in Epcot and got on a bus, our first stop was Epcot! We were taken back into World Showcase though. At each park we entered a security guard came on the bus and did a bag check. It was quick and easy and I liked that they did it.

We parked out behind the American Pavilion where Walt and Jeff split the bus into two sides - I was with Walt. We kept these same groups for most of the day. There were occasions where we all stayed together, but for the most part we were always in the two groups. As it turns out, being with Walt was the smart choice. At first I was disappointed because Jeff was much better looking than Walt :rotfl2: But as it turned out, Walt was the brains of the operation and Jeff was the humor and the looks. I think I got a much better experience being with Walt most of the time.

At the American Pavilion we got to see the inner workings of the American Adventure - really cool! And then we went outside to talk about the pavilion itself...not as exciting, but interesting.

We got back on the bus and headed to Hollywood Studios. Another bag check and we parked the bus backstage between Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. Jeff declared that before moving on we all needed a bathroom break and chose my favorite bathrooms - the ones by RNRC.

0910220185a.jpg

We then went backstage again where we got shown some REALLY COOL stuff with the Tower of Terror ride vehicles. I won't go into details, but I will say that I will check to see if I'm riding car #5 each time I go on TOT in the future. It really left an impression on me, pretty cool.

The rest of the morning was split between Creative Costuming where we got a preview of the Front Desk uniforms that will be worn on the new Disney Cruise Line boat and the Tree Farm.

The Tree Farm was one place we got to take pictures while backstage. I'm not sure why we were allowed, but I took advantage of the opportunity!

Most of what we got to see was the potted plants that are placed throughout the park and the coolest thing - the Flower and Garden topiaries. I had NO idea that they kept them year to year. I just assumed that they would keep the frames and put new flowers on them in the spring. Turns out they keep them alive as best they can to be brought out again next year.

0910220130.jpg

0910220132.jpg

This guy was one of my favorites

0910220133.jpg

0910220135.jpg

0910220140.jpg

0910220141.jpg

Up next, Backstage Magic continues

Wow, your trip report is great so far. I get to go in 3 weeks and reading your trip report just makes me want to go even more. I can't wait to read more.

That tour looks so cool! I've never been able to justify taking a whole day for a tour. There are so many other things I want to do usually.

That's interesting about the Epcot topiaries. Amazing how they keep them going until the next year. Can't wait to hear about the rest of the tour :flower3:

I'm loving the tour I'd love to do it.
Is there something special about the bathrooms at RNRC?
Nothing special, I just like them. They are convenient and not usually too busy.

Wow, your trip report is great so far. I get to go in 3 weeks and reading your trip report just makes me want to go even more. I can't wait to read more.
Thanks! Have a great trip.

Do we want to avoid car #5, or try to get car #5?????

Sounds like a great tour so far!
No need to avoid car #5! I just think it would be cool to see the same car that was "off duty" while I'm in the ride one day. The guys over there take really good care of the cars and the ride and are very proud of their work.

That tour looks so cool! I've never been able to justify taking a whole day for a tour. There are so many other things I want to do usually.

That's interesting about the Epcot topiaries. Amazing how they keep them going until the next year. Can't wait to hear about the rest of the tour :flower3:
I figured since I had 11 days I could spare one for the all day tour!

After we left the tree farm it was time for lunch at Whispering Canyon Cafe. We arrived and found 3 big tables and one small table waiting for us. The meal itself was not great and I probably wouldn't return or if I did I wouldn't get the same food that we were served.

Our waitress, MT, was pretty funny though. She was loud and told lots of jokes and generally kept us entertained. I ended up at a table with good people and we all had a nice chat during lunch. One of the women at the table was a teacher and she had promised her class she'd send postcards to them. We all helped her put stamps and address labels on the postcards since her husband was being slow and we didn't have too much more time until lunch was over :rotfl:

The Wilderness Lodge is really nice - it looks a lot like AKL so that probably helped in my book!

0910220143.jpg

After lunch we headed to the Laundry facility. It was really cool! I know, you are thinking, what is exciting about Laundry!?! Well, just the whole process was really interesting and watching how they organize everything and move it from room to room within the facility. Everyone agreed that it was a great place to visit.

Then we went to Central Shops - oh my god, cool! This is the place where all the ride vehicles are built/refurbed, signs are painted, AAs worked on, etc. There was so much cool stuff in there that I can't even begin to describe it all. The coolest thing that we saw though was the new Space Mountain vehicles. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen them yet but they are really cool. A nice change from the old cars. We also got to see one of the Jungle Cruise elephants getting fixed up!

The last park we visited on the tour was Magic Kingdom. We entered backstage and went on to Main Street where we first took a bathroom break. We were supposed to split up into our groups which meant I should have gone with Walt, but when I went to look for him he was nowhere to be seen. I was secretly glad because this meant I could get a chance to get a different experience with Jeff. While Jeff was funny and a super nice guy, he was just really not a great guide. I will give him the benefit of the doubt since he basically is a professional public speaker and well respected in the Disney corporation and say that he was probably having an off day.

He stumbled over words, lost his train of thought, just didn't do a great job. This ended up not being such a bad deal only because it was a lot of the same stuff I had heard on Keys to the Kingdom. The one cool thing that we did get to do with Jeff that Walt's group didn't do was that we got to see the 3:00 parade from the Train Station. Literally 1 minute before the parade started Jeff decided we should go up there to watch it and I'm glad he did. I made sure to tell him that this was my very first 3:00 Magic Kingdom parade ever.

0910220150.jpg

This float was entirely random - Aladdin, Dumbo, Mary Poppins & Bert. Okay...sure...they can all fly. I guess that's good enough to get them on a float together.

0910220163.jpg

0910220173.jpg

0910220177.jpg

There was another random float too - Peter Pan and Wendy, Alice and the Mad Hatter, 101 Dalmatians, and Timon. Okay random!

Jeff asked how I liked the parade and I told him that I enjoyed it despite the randomness.

After the parade we got to the part that most people had been waiting for, the Utilidors. I guess because I had been down in the Utilidors when I was in high school, I never had quite the anticipation that others did. It's funny when you get down there and see what they are really like. Yes, it is cool to know that you are standing under the Magic Kingdom but if you didn't know that you wouldn't be all that impressed! This was another time where I was glad that I had gotten information from Keys to the Kingdom and didn't have to figure out Jeff's babbling.

That was effectively the end of our tour. We were returned to Epcot and given a pin and sent on our merry way.

Overall, I really really loved this tour. There is no doubt in my mind that I will do it again either. Just recently they added Animal Kingdom in so it will be a slightly different experience next time.

Lunch could be improved upon, but it is what it is. The guides were good - they have a lot of Disney knowledge (although a lot of DISers could give them a run for their money) and they really do like their jobs. I liked Walt better than Jeff as a guide, but Jeff was a really great guy. He turned out to be incredibly easy to find on the internet where I discovered that he has 5 blogs, tweets regularly, posts youtube videos regularly and is a championship level track and field athlete.

If you are at all interested in seeing "behind the scenes" I would recommend taking the time for this tour.

Oh, Oh! I want to know about the new look of the Space Mountain cars!!! Spoil it for me! :worship: What luck you got to see them! I really hope it'll open during my visit there next week.

Great wrap up to the tour. That is really random about the floats. Not too sure why they cram random characters on the same float. More variety I guess? :confused3 Wilderness Lodge really is gorgeous. It's my favourite deluxe resort (probably because it's the ONLY deluxe resort I've stayed at :laughing: But that will change when I stay at AKL!!!! ) You should give it a try sometime. :thumbsup2

What an awesome tour! You've talked me into it, I think I'll definitely try doing a tour next time I'm there solo.

Loving your trip! I am definitely going to take the behind the scenes tour. I hope I get Walt for the guide!:banana:

Oh, Oh! I want to know about the new look of the Space Mountain cars!!! Spoil it for me! :worship: What luck you got to see them! I really hope it'll open during my visit there next week.

Great wrap up to the tour. That is really random about the floats. Not too sure why they cram random characters on the same float. More variety I guess? :confused3 Wilderness Lodge really is gorgeous. It's my favourite deluxe resort (probably because it's the ONLY deluxe resort I've stayed at :laughing: But that will change when I stay at AKL!!!! ) You should give it a try sometime. :thumbsup2

Go ahead, tell us!!!

Ooh spoil it for me too!:)
Okay okay! They are the same car bodies but got spruced up with a nice new bluish silver paint job. I didn't get a chance to see what happened with the vinyl inside, but I'm sure it'll all look great together!

What an awesome tour! You've talked me into it, I think I'll definitely try doing a tour next time I'm there solo.
I am averaging two a trip - I really like tours, it's a change from the norm. The segway tours are fun too if you have never done that before.

Loving your trip! I am definitely going to take the behind the scenes tour. I hope I get Walt for the guide!:banana:
Walt was a great guide! I feel bad though reading back how I talked about Jeff. He was a really nice guy, and he probably would have done a good job any other time, I really think he just had an off day.

Since I was already in the Epcot parking lot and it was pretty early in the evening - maybe 4:30 or 5:00 I think - I decided to spend some of my evening eating around the world.

I cut through Innoventions and stopped to ride Sum of All Thrills. If you haven't heard about this, it's a really cool roller coaster simulator. You build your own ride and can make it as wild or as tame as you would like. You can go upside down on a jet or just do a tame bobsled ride or anything in between - it's entirely your choice. Okay, there are options given to you, but there are lots of them.

Each time I rode, I chose the jet and went upside down as many times as I possibly could, I'm a coaster lover through and through. At the end of your ride they give you a score which I believe is a combination of maximum speed, energy expended and an inversion bonus(?) My first score was 622 which I thought was pretty good.

It was finally time to eat around the world, but before I could do that though, I needed to get a gift card. They were offering these really great little wristband gift cards that you could use at all the F&W booths, or really any place that took Disney Gift Cards as payment.

I went to the F&W Welcome Center - previously known as Wonders of Life - and walked around a little bit to see where I'd be spending some of my time in the upcoming days. I had 6 F&W events planned so I'd be at the Welcome Center quite a few times. I found where the food demos would be done and where the wine/spirit seminars were. It was a nice little set up, though not what I was expecting really. They were pretty small locations and based on the talent that they were bringing in (Cat Cora, Paula Deen, Robert Irvine, Andrew Zimmern, Keegan Gerhard, etc.) I was surprised at the size. I thought the Odyssey would be a better location, but obviously I wasn't in charge of planning this year!

After taking a quick walk around I got my gift card and also picked up a t-shirt and two Mickey F&W pins, one for me, one for someone at work. (pictures to come in a later post) This was also where I encountered my first CM who didn't offer resort delivery. I don't know why they don't just ask everybody. It was kind of a pain to have to bring it up every single time I bought something. Maybe they just didn't want to go through the extra work, which really is minimal. More on that in an upcoming post...I made one lady pay for her not asking me!

I won't go into my F&W booth escapades in detail because I've done that over on my dining report, but I will give you a quick rundown of where and what I ate.

Mexico - Pork Taco with onions
Poland - Kielbasa & Pierogies
Capetown - Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potato Puree and Mango BBQ Sauce
Hops and Barley - Crab Cake
Paris - Milk Chocolate Creme Brulee

I'd like to say that I also stopped to enjoy the World Showcase, but I did not. I really intended to, but I never stopped longer than it took me to eat my next food sample. Besides, there'd be more time for that...right?

After my eating fest, I decided it was about time to head out. I first stopped back at Sum of All Thrills where I bested my previous score of 622 with a 1083! The CM who helped me off the simulator seemed very impressed with my score but told me that the highest he had actually heard about was 1278. This of course gave me a goal for the rest of the trip!

I can't be in Epcot without riding Spaceship Earth, it's against the rules. In fact, last year on my first night I purposely took the boat from DHS to Epcot so that I could ride Spaceship Earth and then took the monorail to Magic Kingdom. I was in Epcot for maybe 45 minutes total.

Spaceship Earth was as good as I remembered it. I tried getting pictures and only had a couple that came out viable. My camera just does not do good dark ride pictures!

0910220194.jpg

As I got to the end of the ride and saw my picture I realized that I just do not have Spaceship Earth hair. My head always ends up looking messed up or it looks like I have gross hair. They need to adjust the cutouts to people's head shape, that would be make for a much nicer video at the end.

In the future I'm the star of Reading Rainbow

0910220201.jpg

The rest of the night was rather uneventful. I found the car and drove back to Pop Century.

The Foosball guys I walked by every morning and night

0910220187a.jpg

I was in bed rather early. It was Thursday night and I had to watch NBC to see all my favorite shows, although I'm not sure I even managed to stay awake through half of the office...it was a long but great day!

I cut through Innoventions and stopped to ride Sum of All Thrills.

We did something similar (maybe the same?) to this in Disney Quest. It was so fun!

Mexico - Pork Taco with onions
Poland - Kielbasa & Pierogies
Capetown - Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potato Puree and Mango BBQ Sauce
Hops and Barley - Crab Cake
Paris - Milk Chocolate Creme Brulee

Mmmm...

Looking forward to seeing what your next day brings!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter