A Sorcerer's Quest (collecting all 60 cards)

Berlioz70

DIS Veteran
Thanks to the Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom game, collectors are trying to get all 60 (with 61-70 being ultra rare) spell cards for themselves, family, friends...

There is the standard set (cards currently being released) & beta set (cards released during the first couple weeks). While I have several beta cards, I have no where near the number required to attempt to collect a full beta set. So after DH and I both collected a standard set, we devised a new plan:

QUEST: to collect all 60 cards WITHOUT trading, and to keep them in their original, UNOPENED, packs
PARTICIPANTS: DH and myself
TIMELINE: April 23 - June 4, 43 days

COLLECTION DETAILS:
  • Outside of about 5 packs collected from the Firehouse, the rest were collected from behind the Christmas Shop.
  • DH and I each visited the park 2-3 times a week, collecting 1-3 packs per visit
  • At first we collected a pack at the start of the day and the second after defeating Hades
  • About halfway into the experiment, we changed our collection behavior and waited until we beat Hades so we could collect both of our packs (1 for the day, 1 for beating Hades) at the same time
  • When collecting 2 packs at the same time, Star cards tended to go in numerical order (i.e., 4-5; 10-11; 22-1)

OTHER NOTES OF INTEREST:
  • We typically played at Rope Drop
  • Our games (full 9 villains) average 2.5-3 hours at this time of day
  • As the day went on, waits got substantially longer
  • Playing at the start of the day allowed us to play an extra scene on our 1st and sometimes 2nd villain:
    Scar - Hyena
    Yzma - Guard
    Jafar - Iago
    Facilier - Lawrence
    Ursula - Shark
    Maleficient - Goon

We never played the dual Horace/Jasper car scene (Cruella)
    I do not believe Ratcliff has an extra scene

FINAL STATISTICS:
67 packs (335 cards) were collected

20% of cards were Stars (1 per pack)
31% of cards were Moons (1-2 per pack)
49% of cards were Planets (2-3 per pack)

Final Planet: Dash (44), collected in pack 54
Final Star: Nibs (14), collected in pack 64
Final Moon: Prince Philip (33), collected in pack 67

In the end, we only received 1 of the following cards:
STARS: Flynn, Nibs, Robin Hood, Fairy Godmother, Giant, Tink
MOONS: Prince Philip, Snow White

DUPLICATES:
32 packs (48%) contained all duplicate cards at the time of collection

Most Stars: Doris (4) & Eve (5) - both with 6
Most Moons: Aladdin (23) - with 10
Most Planets: Lumiere (48) - with 14

FINAL COLLECTION:
  • After we received all 60 cards, we had to figure out which 22 packs to keep as our final collection. The object was to create the fewest number of duplicate cards.
  • First we identified the cards in the 8 packs we had to use (because they contained an unique card identified above).
  • Then we identified 4 packs that offered the greatest number of unique cards.
  • Next we eliminated packs with star cards we already had identified.
  • Finally, we limited the number of Moon and Planet duplicate cards to 3 to help eliminate more packs.
  • In the end, 5 cards had to pass the 3 limit in order to get all 22 Stars.

Here is the Final Collection (22 packs, 110 cards):
Card Count
1 1 Apprentice Mickey's Broomsticks
2 1 Belle's Mountain Blizzard
3 1 Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blaster
4 1 Doris's Bowler Hat Attack
5 1 Eve's Laser Blast
6 1 Fa Mulan's Dragon Cannon
7 1 Flynn Rider's Flying Frying Pan
8 1 King Triton's Trident
9 1 Lythos's Rock Titan Boulder Throw
10 1 Maurice's Wood Chopper
11 1 Maximus's Horseshoes
12 1 Merlin's Fireball
13 1 Monstro's Water Spout
14 1 Nibs's Neverland Assault
15 1 Rapunzel’s Hair Whip
16 1 Robin Hood’s Magic Arrow
17 1 Simba's Roar
18 1 The Fairy Godmother's Pumpkin Bash
19 1 The Giant's Giant Stomp
20 1 Tinker Bell's Pixie Dust
21 1 Violet's Force Fields
22 1 Woody's Cowboy Lasso
23 3 Aladdin's Lamp
24 1 Bolt's Super Bark
25 1 Cinderella's Magic Ribbon
26 2 Colonel Hathi’s Righteous Stomp
27 2 Eeyore's Gloomy Cloud
28 3 Frozone's Ice Blast
29 2 Lightning McQueen's Ka-Chow
30 1 Mickey's Magic Beans
31 2 Mike’s Grand Entrance
32 3 Pinocchio's Sawdust Blast
33 1 Prince Philip's Enchanted Sword
34 1 Snow White's Housecleaning
35 3 The Headless Horseman's Exploding Jack-O-Lantern
36 2 The Mad Hatter's Tea Time
37 4 The Queen of Hearts’s Card Army
38 3 The Sugar Plum Fairies’ Dewdrop Spiderweb
39 2 Wall-E's Trash Crunch
40 2 Yen Sid’s Sorcerers Hat
41 3 Aurora's Rose Petals
42 3 Baloo's Coconut Cascade
43 4 Caballero Donald's Piñata
44 2 Dash's Whirlwind
45 1 Flower's Flower
46 2 Gopher’s Demolition Dynamite
47 4 Grumpy's Pummeling Pickaxe
48 3 Lumiere's Candle Blast
49 1 Mowgli's Swinging Vine
50 1 Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
51 1 Pocahontas's Colors of the Wind
52 3 Pongo's Soot Bucket
53 4 Prince Naveen’s Army of Frogs
54 3 Pumbaa’s Odorous Gas
55 1 Quasimodo's Bell
56 2 Rafiki's Wisdom Stick
57 5 The Blue Fairy’s Wand Wish
58 1 The Woozles' Woozle Nightmare
59 3 Thumper's Mighty Thump
60 3 Tiana's Hot Sauce

DSCN2677.jpg

REMAINING PACKS:
  • We will use the remaining packs to replace the Beta Cards we are playing with so we can save the Betas
  • The rest will be given to my Dad and Brother who are visiting next week and will be first time Sorcerers
  • Any remaining cards will be given away to other Sorcerers that we meet in the park

What a fun project! :hippie: We'll be playing for our first time when we arrive Sunday. Can't wait! Any other helpful hints you could offer??

I was there this past week and was trying to finish a set for a family I met in March.. was mailing them their cards .. I ended up with soooo many duplicates that I just stared giving them away to children who were just starting out.. and to one young couple who just started collecting... I did manage to finish the set I went there to compete too.. and mailed it yesterday.. Now when this family returns in November, they have to play a full round with me :banana: that was our deal.. I really did it because the son had wanted to complete the set before going home but saw it was going to be impossible.. so I told him I would do it for him.. and as promised I did... :thumbsup2 and had fun while doing it... :cool1: it really is a break from the long attraction lines.

I think my next project might be is to start another set for me.. don't know yet. I have about half that are beta cards and the more I think about it, the more I think I should not be playing with my beta cards.. maybe I should save them .. but for what, I don't know.. lol not like I will ever part with them...:rotfl: just another one of my infamous collections I will have.. like the tons and tons and tons.. did I say tons.. of Disney pins, Disney bean bags.. lol and even TY Beanie Babies I have... now my Snow Globes, Precious Moment Figurines and Linda Rick Precious Moments Dolls, they are at least collections I can display.. :thumbsup2

Do you know if your ticket has to have gone through the turnstiles for the day before they will give you the cards for it (similar to how the fast passes work)? I know that the CMs have given me the cards when I present multiple park tickets by myself, but all of the other people have always also been at the park with me. I'd like to make a trip over one day to play the game myself (my other family members aren't so keen on playing for hours!). It would be great if I could get their cards for the day as it's a pretty good drive for me just to get one or two packs.

Every time you complete the whole game you can go back and get another pack. So if you complete the game twice in one day you get a total of three packs.

Any other helpful hints you could offer??

Do not be afraid to ask other Sorcerer's for help, especially if they appear to know what they're doing. I could try to type out all of my tips, but you'll get a faster rundown by talking to those waiting in line.

I have about half that are beta cards and the more I think about it, the more I think I should not be playing with my beta cards.. maybe I should save them .. but for what, I don't know.. lol not like I will ever part with them...:rotfl:

That's like us! We'll never do anything with ours either, but will likely keep them as long as we can for no apparent reason. :laughing:

Do you know if your ticket has to have gone through the turnstiles for the day before they will give you the cards for it (similar to how the fast passes work)?

Sorry, I don't know; I only picked up packs on my ticket, same as DH.

How do you collect more then one pack in a day? I thought you were only allowed to collect one pack per visit. Please tell....;)

Every time you beat Hades you get another pack. If you beat him twice in one day, that's another pack. We never got more than 3 in one day though, as the game takes a good amount of time.

Is the game still running in easy mode all the time? I just went through it for the first time so now I'm just starting my second round. Should I assume it's now on "Medium"? Just wondering how easy it is to go through the game multiple times in one day if you go from Easy to Medium to Hard when you complete it. Once you complete Hard does it go back to Easy and start over?

I could be wrong, but I do think that the pass must be for a person who is physically in the park... they do ask for the pass and swipe it prior to giving you the pack of cards, so they can tell if the pass has been through the turnstile..just like using it for FP..the person must be there.

As far as completing the first level then going up to the second.. I was told that everyone was going to be on the first level for the summer.. so that is a good question, will you still be first level when you play again.. I played only a few times this past week. I was more there to trade and complete that set I needed to complete.... I had friends with me who hadn't been to Disney in at least 10 years.. her DD was under 3 last they went and she's 13 now.. so they were more into attractions than the game. I let them go off on their own a bit for me to do some trading :lmao: I don't know if you remain on the first level. A friend of mine told me that you do.. I don't know first hand though for sure... maybe someone else on here can let us know that first hand....
All I know was I was on the 3rd level in March and now on the 1st level.... again...

I'm on a mission to get all 60 cards myself. I only need 14 more to go!

Sister and myself have been collecting the past few weeks, sister is about 3 cards away from completing a 1-60 and I'm about 7-8. We've been taking our spares into the park and giving people cards (particularly kids, asking if they have a favorite character and giving them the card if we have it) and trying to trade with newer players to sort of break the ice and involve them in the trading aspect of the game.

Is the game still running in easy mode all the time? I just went through it for the first time so now I'm just starting my second round. Should I assume it's now on "Medium"? Just wondering how easy it is to go through the game multiple times in one day if you go from Easy to Medium to Hard when you complete it. Once you complete Hard does it go back to Easy and start over?

It is still on Easy - everyone has dropped down to that level. When the medium/hard levels return, everyone will likely need to beat Easy again then you start the progression over.

Ooh that's a very cool project :thumbsup2
I think it took us around 14 days (over several trips) total to get our one deck 1-60. We pulled all our cards together to make it happen and we were very lucky to meet awesome CM's and players who helped us finish it off by trading with us.

I think we will very slowly collect another deck for me (I gave all my cards to DH since he really enjoyed the game) over time. I really like getting a brand new pack of cards at the beginning of the day and being surprised by the mix. You would think I had won a million dollars when I opened one pack and got the Maximus card (he is one of my favorites) :rotfl:

Another thing I really love? Giving cards away to guests who have never heard of the game and are happily surprised by it. :thumbsup2

Do you know if your ticket has to have gone through the turnstiles for the day before they will give you the cards for it (similar to how the fast passes work)? I know that the CMs have given me the cards when I present multiple park tickets by myself, but all of the other people have always also been at the park with me. I'd like to make a trip over one day to play the game myself (my other family members aren't so keen on playing for hours!). It would be great if I could get their cards for the day as it's a pretty good drive for me just to get one or two packs.

That is what we did a few weeks ago. On the days we weren't planning on visiting MK my DH would go to there while we were taking a break at our resort and he would just take our tickets and get the cards by himself.

Thanks for sharing your insights!

On packs that you get just 1 moon do you get 3 planets?

My DD & I played a bit in May. If I bring the key we were playing with back in November can I pick up where we left off even though the pass we were playing on is expired?

Yep - if there was only one moon, there were 3 planets.

Your key card will still be good, but I believe you need the ticket it's tied to if you want to get more cards or move on to the next level (levels are not currently in operation, but will hopefully be back before your trip in November).

Thanks! That's what I thought. I was thinking when we first got home that we might have made some "bad" trades when we had more planets.

We got new card packs on 3 different days, 2 friends each got us a pack and a nice young girl gave my DD 2 cards. We were able to trade all our duplicates except 4 from the one pack from one of our friends. So we have 38 unique cards-8 stars, 12 moons and 18 planets. We didn't finish level one but did defeat a few villains. I was hoping to pick up where we left off so I would be closer to another pack of cards.;)

I have been working on collecting 2 sets for kids. I have had a bit of luck with mail trades but have a long way to go.

If anyone wants to trade pm me.

This sounds like something my son would enjoy. But I want to get to some of the rides early to avoid most of the lines. SO .... can someone tell me exactly where the Firehouse is located (left? right?) and if there is another place to get the cards. thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter