A Solo Trip fit for a (n Evil) Queen! POP Century April 30-May 8, 2016

Ravensorrow

Mouseketeer
My Pre Trip Report is Here: http://disboards.com/threads/its-a-grown-up-girls-trip-wait-a-tic-its-a-solo-girl-trip.3491483/ but if you don't want to read through that...I'll reprise a bit for you right here.

Here's the cast:

ME! (That cute guy belongs to me....but he's not coming with me). I'm Holly....41 year old mom of 3.

12339468_10208570210515968_1961316001334005820_o.jpg

I've been several times in the past with my kids. Last year was supposed to be a trip with my BFF for our 40th birthdays...but we kept pushing it back...and finally she had to cancel altogether.

Everyone say BOOOOO to Krys.

11927481_10207937259212581_1481634782983498455_o.jpg

There's been a ton going on this year...I won't go into it here...you can read my pretrip report...but I really NEEDED this trip. SO my fabulous husband told me to just go...BY MYSELF!

HOORAY!

So I went to POP Century...April 30-May 8, 2016

And now...I'm gonna tell you how that went!

Please follow along...like my post..or jump in with a comment. It'll keep me motivated!

My flight was due to leave out of Cincinnati, Ohio at 7:20 am. This was great because it meant that I'd be home by 11 am! Unfortunately, I forgot to calculate the drive to the airport and the fact that I needed to be there at least two hours early into my plans. So, in my infinite wisdom, I decided to head down the night before and stay in a Holiday Inn Express next to the airport. The room was bleh...but I got it off of Travelocity for something like $64 so I didn't complain (out loud).

Up and at em at 4:45 am for the short drive over to long term parking. Breeze through airport security and I'm upgraded to First Class on the first leg of my flight to DC....so I get to stretch out and get a little more sleep. Yay!

We land in DC and sit and sit and sit. Apparently they were doing a disaster drill at the airport. It was cool to watch...but my connecting flight is due to start boarding any second now...and I'm starting to get antsy. We finally get to the gate and luckily my next gate is only a few away.....I get there and get right on the plane. We take off and as we turn to our course...out the window is the Pentagon...perfectly framed...I wish I had my camera out because it was an amazing sight.

And finally...we land!!! Hooray!

But oh my goodness! Hello Magical Express line.

13076658_10209747072336778_4487871283026470436_n.jpg

But hey...that wasn't so bad! 30 minutes later :

13103481_10209747221740513_3919699883917947874_n.jpg

Look Guys! I'm Home!!

pop4.png

I got the text that my room was ready when I turned my phone back on at the airport, so I went straight to my room and completely bypassed the checkin desk. I had a preferred room in the 60's section...so I was a hop, skip, and a jump away. Seriously...I was just on the other side of the Hippy Dippy Pool (not a pool view). 4117! No complaints here. This room was super quiet too!

pop2.jpg

I'm on the ground floor on this side of the green yo you. That building with all the flowers? Main building. Yup...That close.

So I go in my room and throw my stuff on the spare bed and I'm out the door! I've got parks to see!

pop5.png

Great start to a fun solo trip. I would love to get the courage up to go on a solo trip. I am also going to Disney in Oct. for my 4oth with some friends. So excited.

I got to Magic Kingdom around 1:00. It was a bit busy, but I didn't care. I was looking at this!

IMG_0502.jpg

And I was STARVING! So where should I eat? hmmm. I know!!

0.png

The lobster roll was YUM! Even if it did have a little much mayo and green stuff. I ordered fries...but they gave me chips too....which were really good. The seasonal Cobbler was blueberry....it was more like a crisp than a cobbler though. All in all...a really good way to start what will henceforth be called my Tour of Gluttony!

IMG_0503.jpg

I was about halfway into my lobster roll before I remember to take a picture. Oops!

After my lunch I just sort of wandered around taking in all of the sights and relishing the fact that I was here all by myself. I stopped by the Fire House and picked up some Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards and hit a few portals. Took in the cinematic glory that is Philharmagic. Couldn't walk past Haunted Mansion without visiting the Bride! Had a Fast Pass for Space Mountain so I meandored over to TomorrowLand and hit that up and took a tour on the People Mover. Had a nice talk with the DVC cast members..but declined a tour. 3 fastpasses just didn't make it worth my while.

And now it was time to find a boat (the first of many this trip) to the next stop on the Tour of Gluttony: my 'Ohana reservation! This is a Holly Must Do for every trip!

Hello Lapu Lapu! Come to Mama!

IMG_0507%201.jpg

For those that have not experienced all that is the Lapu Lapu...what are you thinking?

IMG_0513.jpg

Now onto the nummies!

‘Ohana Pineapple-Coconut Bread

Mixed Greens Salad with a Lilikoi dressing

Pork Dumplings tossed in Garlic-Ginger Sauce

served with Peanut and Sweet-n-Sour Sauces (those sauces are to die for!)

Honey-Coriander Chicken Wings
served with Peanut and Sweet-n-Sour Sauces

IMG_0508.jpg

Everything is so heavenly. You really need to pace yourself!!

Next up:

Noodles, tossed in a Teriyaki Sauce with Fresh Vegetables

Stir-fried Vegetables

IMG_0509.jpg

Sweet-n-Sour Chicken

Szechuan Sirloin Steak

Spicy Grilled Peel-n-Eat Shrimp

My server, Josh, was fun! He even let me take a picture!

IMG_0510.jpg

Aaaand he gave me extra shrimp :D

IMG_0514.jpg

But wait!! There's more...Don't eat too much! You need to save room for:

‘Ohana Bread Pudding à la mode with Bananas-Caramel Sauce!

IMG_0515.jpg

Oh my goodness! Time to roll on out of this place...We have a 7 Dwarves Mine Train Fast Pass!

I have to say...I was sorely underwhelmed with this ride. I'd never wait for it. Maybe it was because I was single rider and the man in front of me was single rider and the mine cars are free hanging so they rock. Neither he nor I were little people and the cast member loading us did not have the foresight to put us on opposite sides of the car so we ride the entire thing sideways. It wasn't very fun.

After this, it was getting quite late so I decided that Pirates of the Carrabean would be my last ride of the night. Unfortunately the 10 minute posted time was actually 45 minutes by the time the post fireworks fast pass people all got loaded (this was not the last time that FP+ messed up the ride times this trip).

Final thoughts for day one: The week I spent breaking in my Sanuk Yoga Mat sandals was not enough. I developed two very large blisters on the balls of both feet. :(

Final Step Count for the day : 19,385 or 8.77 miles walked.

That POP bed was really nice that night.

How exciting!! I'm headed there for my solo 50th birthday trip in 14 days so it's fun to see you doing it first! Following along!

Great start to a fun solo trip. I would love to get the courage up to go on a solo trip. I am also going to Disney in Oct. for my 4oth with some friends. So excited.

Everyone should go solo if they get the chance. I was very nervous because I'd never travelled alone before...but I'm so glad I did it. No place safer for a solo woman than Disney!

Following along! I'm tentatively planning a solo trip for September/October :flower1:

Hooray! I hope it's amazing!

Joining in!

Glad to have you!

Joining in! You're off to a great start so far :)

Welcome! It only gets better from here!

How exciting!! I'm headed there for my solo 50th birthday trip in 14 days so it's fun to see you doing it first! Following along!

Hope you have as much fun as I did! Happy Birthday!

Sounds like a great evening minus the blisters! Love Ohana- great meal to kick off the trip for you!

Yeah...getting blisters on the first day...totally not on my list of things to accomplish this trip.

Great start to your trip report! Your pictures of that amazing Lapu Lapu and Ohana dinner are making me need a visit to the Poly. Sounds like you got a lot done on your arrival day.

I made a bad mistake.... I read this trip report while hungry! ...I'm off to dream of bread pudding and Ohana shrimp :) I'm following along-- I love to read solo reports! I travel with just my partner, so we tour in a somewhat similar way.

Your solo trip sounds AWESOME!:flower1::love: I would love to do one someday, but it probably won't happen. So I will follow along wishfullypixiedust:
I also have a special needs child. She is on the Autisim Spectrum, with Anxiety disorder, OCD, ADHD, and is developmentally delayed. Our last Disney Trip was December of 2013 and we are both going through withdrawl:worried: without a trip scheduled anytime in the foreseeable future. We are both Disney Crazy and had and Amazing timepixiedust: I rarely post but could identify with your trip. Can't wait to hear more.

I'm in the middle of uprooting us from Cincinnati to Nashville! It's crazy right now and I promise to finish this AMAZING report (seriously...stick with me..you won't be sorry!) as soon as the crazy stops.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter