A Solo Trip 28 Years in the Making-Oct 16-17th, 2012

Looks like a good choice...that totally makes sense. Save your money to try some new California Mickey treats :)

Oooh, never thought of it that way. :thumbsup2

Maybe there's a way to completely forgo the lodging cost. Do you think I could just sleep in my sleeping bag outside DL gates? :lmao:

Yeah.....I'm thinking that's a no :rotfl: But there's probably a hostel around there somewhere. Or you can always show up at someone's door and say you used to live there and would like to spend the night in your old room. That would be cheap. Kinda creepy too, but cheap ;)

PART I

Between the storms and the power outage, I wasn’t so sure on Monday whether this trip would be happening as planned. But fortunately, the power was restored and my parents flew in from California on Tuesday evening to join us for our first visit to Colonial Williamsburg to celebrate Independence Day!

We started our drive down to Williamsburg at 9am on the 4th. Traffic between DC and Williamsburg was actually very manageable and we arrived at our hotel around 11:30am, Williamsburg Lodge (within the Historic Area). The hotel had beautiful landscaping and interiors.

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1653-1.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

Once we dropped our bags off in our rooms, we got a quick bite at the hotel restaurant and decided to brave the 95 degree heat and check out some of the scenery in the historic district. As soon as we stepped outside, we were baking! It’s been 4 years since we moved from Houston and my body must have forgotten what it’s like trying to walk around in heat in the 90s. I had been wondering if visiting WDW in August would be an option for my family, but 10 seconds into the Williamsburg heat and I quickly scratched August off my mental list of months to visit WDW!

We walked over to the Market Square where we saw a colonial auction taking place.

IMG_1433.jpg

Watching all of the characters dressed in 18th century clothing, I quickly shut all thoughts of complaints about the heat. I can’t imagine being dressed like that in this weather. Behind the auction, there was a tent of merchandises being sold, and DS got a three-corner hat and DD got a bonnet. Across the street, we saw the courthouse and entered to watch a colonial trial.

IMG_1445.jpg

They took some volunteers to play the roles of some key characters in the trial and they lucked out when one of the volunteers was actually an attorney in real life. He obviously did the best job reading the script without stumbling over any words and sounded the most convincing!

Afterwards, my parents decided that they would walk back to their room and get some rest. DS also was getting cranky from all the sweating so he went back with them. DD, DW, and I decided to check out some of the trade demonstrations. First we visited the brickmakers.

IMG_1454.jpg

DD got a kick out of walking in the clay pit. It was pretty funny how every parent watching their child in the clay pit were saying the exact same thing: “Be careful, and don’t fall! I didn’t pack any extra clothing!” Once DD was done, we walked her over to a water faucet surrounded by several barrels of water to wash her feet and leg off.

Next we visited the campsite for the revolutionary militia. They had tents set up. A couple of soldiers were demonstrating gun fighting techniques.

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

The “volunteers” got to follow along using logs as their guns. Then one of the women of the barracks explained the rations each person would receive. She actually did a pretty decent job staying in character especially when a girl sitting up front (probably about 7 or 8 years old) raised her hand to ask “Are those food on your table real or fake?” The lady answered “They are real since I don’t know what purpose fake food would have here.” They even demonstrated the fife and drum call to pick up the rations.

IMG_1465.jpg

The whole simulation must have been very realistic as at one point, DD thought I was going to be staying back and sleeping in the tents for REAL and got very concerned. She raised her hand to ask the lady “This is my Dad (pointing to me). Is he going to have stay behind?” She kept holding on to my hand tightly – it was very cute.

We made a quick stop at the cabinetmaker’s house and DD got to try playing the harpsichord.

IMG_1456.jpg

Then we made our last stop at the blacksmiths where one of them was working on making a hammer. I had to leave the house just after a couple of minutes because the smoke and the heat was getting a bit unbearable. DD on the other hand didn’t seem to mind and watched the whole thing up close.

(This has to be the worst job in Colonial Williamsburg during the summer time, right?)
IMG_1467.jpg

The whole historic area was so well preserved and you really got the sense of being immersed in the 18th century. So much so that whenever I came across any modern amenities or equipment, it really felt out of place. Like these set of cars parked next to one of the houses.

"I sense a disruption in the time-space continuum"
IMG_1466.jpg

Next Up: FIREWORKS !pixiedust:

Yeah.....I'm thinking that's a no :rotfl: But there's probably a hostel around there somewhere. Or you can always show up at someone's door and say you used to live there and would like to spend the night in your old room. That would be cheap. Kinda creepy too, but cheap ;)

Yeah, creepy AND awkward. :lmao:

Cool trip! Seems like the perfect type of thing to do around the Fourth of July. Your pictures were great as well. What kind of camera are you using?

Cool trip! Seems like the perfect type of thing to do around the Fourth of July. Your pictures were great as well. What kind of camera are you using?

Thank you!

I traded my point-and-shoot in for an upgrade after our Disney trip in April. Just couldn't accept the limitations anymore ;)

So, my current camera is the Canon EOS T2i. I'm still very much a beginner in photography, but this is quickly becoming my favorite hobby other than anything related to Disney! All of the pics were taken with the kit lens 18-55mm.

Looks like a great start to Williamsburg. What a great time of the year to be there....well, other than the heat :thumbsup2

I'm following too - :thumbsup2

Welcome! Happy to have you on-board!

Looks like a great start to Williamsburg. What a great time of the year to be there....well, other than the heat :thumbsup2

I know what you mean though - the whole concept of Colonial Williamsburg revolves around the essence of Independence Day! It really does provide the perfect atmosphere for celebrating the 4th of July. We enjoyed it a lot.

We headed back to the hotel to cool off. We met up with my parents and DS. DS had not gone down for a nap, so we all took a short nap before our evening festivities – we bought tickets for the “Independence Day Celebration” which included a boxed picnic dinner and reserved up-front seating for a concert by the Virginia Symphony Orchestra followed by fireworks. Earlier in the day they were forecasting thunderstorms right around the time the picnic was to begin. So, they moved the picnic event indoors to one of the ballrooms in our hotel! We really lucked out since we didn’t have to walk too far to get to it. The picnic box contained so much food including a very deliciously seasoned southern fried chicken and potato salad! During the dinner, they had a steady stream of entertainment on the stage including some colonial style singing, dancing, and story telling.

3bee0758.jpg

People were really packed in though and there were barely enough seats for everyone. DD decided to take this opportunity to lay down, curl up in a ball, and take a short nap on her chair.

After dinner, we headed out to the Palace Green in front of the Governor’s Palace to check in at the reserved seating area. We arrived early enough to grab a good seat near the center aisle. We had glow sticks and my trusty ol iPad to keep the kids entertained while waiting. Then from the distance, we started hearing the sounds of the Fife and Drums Marching Band approaching us. They marched their way down to the front and performed for about 15 minutes. Absolutely loved it! Really puts a nice historical twist to the whole evening.

IMG_1488.jpg

They were followed by the Virginia Symphony Orchestra who played for 90 minutes with all the usual outdoor concert pieces including a couple of John William’s movie music and capped it off with a beautiful rendition of God Bless America and the 1812 Overture.

49c7286d.jpg

I was curious as to whether the kids would be able to sit through the whole concert without getting restless. They loved it. The either sat on our laps or on their seats and watched and listened very intently. Earlier in the day, I had bought them each a small Star Spangled Banner to wave. They were waving the flags in rhythm to the music. When the orchestra played a medley of military anthems, DS was standing on his chair, waving his flag, and marching his feet!

As they were completing the 1812 Overture, the fireworks started with the Palace as the foreground. It was very well done. No music accompaniment but it was beautifully put together.

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1536-1.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

As soon as the fireworks ended, the Fife/Drums marching band showed up again, this time accompanied by men leading them with torches. It was such an awesome scene as they marched down and a dozens of people trailing them. Unfortunately, I couldn’t capture this on my camera because I had already packed everything up and had DS in my arms. Once they passed through, we took a 10 minute stroll back to our rooms. This had to be THE easiest getaway from a 4th of July Fireworks for us EVER. No crowds of pedestrians. And as we walked back to our hotel, we saw all of the cars log jammed and barely moving in the streets – I was very glad we decided to spend the night here after the fireworks.

The next morning, we slept in a little. Had the breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant. Then decided to give it another go touring the Historic Area. It was already 89 degrees when we stepped out of the hotel around 10am. We first tried touring Peyton Randolph’s house.

IMG_1661.jpg

Between the wait time and the actual tour, this ended up taking a full hour. While we were waiting for the tour to start, we saw several horse driven carriages make their way down the street.

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1658-1.jpg

Maybe next time we are down here again and when it’s cooler, we would think about trying it. But, it just seemed a little too hot to be trying this out. The tour itself was interesting, but DS’s attention span began to give out near the end of the tour which was expected for a 2 year old.

My parents and the kids returned to the hotel lobby – the kids ended up playing with some of the craft materials they had set up in the lobby area. DW and I decided we wanted to stroll all the way down to the Capitol building. On our way there, we crossed into the “Revolutionary City” boundaries.

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1670-1.jpg

Within this area, they re-enact some scripted scenes that tell a story over two days of how revolt began. We came across one such re-enactment – thought the actors/actresses were excellent and very realistic.

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

We made our way to the front of the Capitol.

IMG_1669-1.jpg

Although I wanted to go in, this also required waiting and entering as a tour group which meant it would take another hour, so we decided to pass. And that was our last stop for this trip. We returned to the hotel, loaded up our cars, and returned home to DC. The first hour of driving was challenge as we had to stop twice for bathroom breaks and lunch for the kids. It took us 90 minutes to go 30 miles! :lmao:

Had a blast and we may turn this into a family tradition for future 4th of July’s as long as we live in the DC area. I would also like to return back during the fall and really delve into the Historic Area, especially the “Revolutionary City”.

LOVE the Williamsburg updates! How lucky your children are that you and your DW take them to places like this! I think it's really, really important for children to see the places where the history of their country took place! My parents dragged us everywhere when we were overseas (and here) and even though at the time I complained loudly, now I really appreciate having those experiences! I'm sure yours will appreciate these moments as well! Your pictures are really lovely, aren't you loving that camera? :goodvibes

Oh, and good idea about the hotel by DLR, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a ton of money for one night's sleep, especially on your own!

Glad your power is back on and things are returning to normal there - hopefully the rest of the country is also getting some more reasonable weather. It's beautiful up here right now!

LOVE the Williamsburg updates! How lucky your children are that you and your DW take them to places like this! I think it's really, really important for children to see the places where the history of their country took place! My parents dragged us everywhere when we were overseas (and here) and even though at the time I complained loudly, now I really appreciate having those experiences! I'm sure yours will appreciate these moments as well! Your pictures are really lovely, aren't you loving that camera? :goodvibes

Oh, and good idea about the hotel by DLR, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a ton of money for one night's sleep, especially on your own!

Glad your power is back on and things are returning to normal there - hopefully the rest of the country is also getting some more reasonable weather. It's beautiful up here right now!

I'm LOVING my camera. Of course, the more I use it, the more I want to get additional lenses and accesories that are expensive! For instance, after taking firework pictures, I realized I need a remote shutter button to avoid the shaking the cameras. Don't think my OCD is a good mix for taking up photography as a hobby. :lmao:

So far, the kids are too young to mind visiting places like Williamsburg. They enjoyed it quite a bit especially since they have so many hands on activities. I'm sure the eye rolls and groans will be there in the coming years once they become "too cool" to hang out with their parents. ;) In another year or so, I would like to take them to Philly for some educational/historical tours!

As much as I have been looking forward to the upcoming visit to DLR, I have had to occasionally temper my excitement and expectations mainly because I know I won’t have enough time to do everything I want. Ideally, I also would have liked to have toured DLR at a more leisurely pace to give myself a chance to really soak in the atmosphere and enjoy the scenery, but I know that won’t be possible either.

So, my general priorities are:

1. To try as many rides and attractions I can fit in.
2. To prioritize rides/attractions that are not available at WDW or those that are considered to be superior to their counterparts at WDW.
3. To visit both DL and DCA parks.
4. To snap as many pictures as I can.
5. And to have fun!!!

So how much time do I exactly have to tour both parks? Here’s what my travel itinerary looks like.

Tuesday, October 16th
Arrive at San Diego Airport (from BWI) at 12:05pm
Scurry on over to the Amtrak Station in downtown SD by cab
Depart on Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner at 1:40pm
Arrive at Anaheim Station at 3:35pm
Cab it over to DLR entrance and enter DCA (ideally by 4:30pm)
***Tour DCA*** until closing time at 8:00pm

Wednesday, October 17th
***Tour DL*** beginning at opening time at 9:00am to closing time at 8:00pm
(May or may not park-hop to DCA during the day depending on how much I get done on Tuesday)
Depart on Amtrak’s Pacific Surfliner at 10:48pm
Arrive in San Diego at 12:50am (just in time to start my conference activities on Thursday!)

Soooo, at best I’m looking at a total of 14.5 hours. I was really hoping that Mickey’s Halloween Party would be happening on Tuesday which would have given me 3 extra hours! But, the party for that week is scheduled for Monday.

At first, it didn’t feel quite right thinking about purchasing a full day admission for my arrival day and yet only being able to spend 3 and a half hours in the park. But when I laid out my “itemized” touring plan, it turned out that those 3.5 hours could make a HUGE difference on how much I could get done. I’ll post those detailed plans in the upcoming weeks. I’ll admit that it is a very ambitious plan so when you do see something that’s completely unrealistic, please yell it out. :thumbsup2

I’m also at the whim of all of the idiosyncrasies that come with air and train travel and even a small delay during my arrival day travels could very easily ruin my hopes of doing any meaningful touring for Tuesday afternoon/evening. And if that happens, I have to pack everything into one day. All I can do is hope that everything will fall in line and on-time for once which hasn’t happened to me in awhile. For the same reasons, I don’t think I will be pre-purchasing my park admission tickets but will purchase them at the gates. I don’t want to be holding on to a 2-day pass then arrive extremely late on Tuesday evening.

Next Up: What I am and am not looking forward to traveling without my family

Loving your pre-trip report! We'll be in Anaheim Oct. 13-17 staying at the Candy Cane Inn. When we leave Anaheim, we'll spend 2 nights in San Diego. Hoping for manageable crowds. As of now we aren't planning on going to the Halloween party on Mon. night. They'll close DL early and I've heard that causes crowds in Calif. Adventure. I'm trying to keep expectations low and just enjoy what we're able to do.

Also loved hearing about Williamsburg and seeing your pictures. It makes me want to travel there for Independence Day!

Loving your pre-trip report! We'll be in Anaheim Oct. 13-17 staying at the Candy Cane Inn. When we leave Anaheim, we'll spend 2 nights in San Diego. Hoping for manageable crowds. As of now we aren't planning on going to the Halloween party on Mon. night. They'll close DL early and I've heard that causes crowds in Calif. Adventure. I'm trying to keep expectations low and just enjoy what we're able to do.

Also loved hearing about Williamsburg and seeing your pictures. It makes me want to travel there for Independence Day!

Always great to meet another DISer who will be traveling around the same time as I do! When I was researching hotels, Candy Cane Inn looked really good. And yes, I'm also hoping that the crowds will be on the lower side which would made my touring so much easier.

I did a San Diego trip last month with the kids and my parents and we had a blast - DW couldn't get the time off from work. I did try to convince my parents (and DW) to go on a side trip to DL at the time but they weren't too interested. Anyway, I did document our SD trip as a mini-TR in my last TR if you're interested in perusing, and it starts at post #268 on page 18. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2914350&page=18

Thanks for following along!

Looks like a good plan for the time you have. It will be great! You have a good mindset going in and you know there will be some things you miss...but it will give you a good basis for the next trip with the family. And give us a great TR too ;)

Looks like a good plan for the time you have. It will be great! You have a good mindset going in and you know there will be some things you miss...but it will give you a good basis for the next trip with the family. And give us a great TR too ;)

The challenge will be "stretching out" the 1 1/2 day trip into a worthy TR! I may have to give an hour by hour postings which means I'll need hundreds of photos. :lmao:

Your trip is only a week away!

The challenge will be "stretching out" the 1 1/2 day trip into a worthy TR! I may have to give an hour by hour postings which means I'll need hundreds of photos. :lmao:

Well, I'm sure you are up for the challenge! And you can start with the train ride, because I bet there will be some great pictures on that :)

Your trip is only a week away!

Yay! I can't wait. I'm really starting to feel guilty about leaving my little guy behind, but I think I will get over it quickly when I see how hot and crowded it is. He would be miserable and I would be miserable trying to keep him happy and comfortable. Plus, our whole plan revolves around both AM and PM EMHs, that's hard to do with a 5 year old.

The one thing that worries me is... where are you going to put your luggage when you get to Disneyland? I have seen no mention of checking into a hotel (which will take precious time from DL) and leaving the luggage.. then where will it be while you are at DL before you head back to San Diego?

As far as your son... easy way to solve that problem! Bring the wife and kids to Disneyland... you can enjoy a day and a half with them and they can enjoy Disneyland while you are in San Diego!!! Would also take care of that luggage problem!!!!!!!!! :duck:

The one thing that worries me is... where are you going to put your luggage when you get to Disneyland? I have seen no mention of checking into a hotel (which will take precious time from DL) and leaving the luggage.. then where will it be while you are at DL before you head back to San Diego?

Sorry, I forgot to include that detail in my plans. When I leave my house, I will have one duffle bag packed that will have all of clothing etc for the 4 days of conference in SD. I will also pack a backpack that will have my toiletries, one day worth of clothing (for the 17th), my camera and iPad. Bottomline, my backpack will be light.

The eventual hotel I will check into in SD once I return from DL is only two blocks away from the train station. So, on my way to the train station, I am going to swing by the hotel to check the duffle bag with the front desk. Then, I can take the train and head straight to DL with just my backpack, and will tour DCA with it. Check into hotel after park closes. The next day I will check out of the hotel, and tour DL with my backpack in tow and I can head striaght to the train station from DL.

I'm used to hauling a lot more in my backpack from our WDW trip because of all of the kids' snacks, extra clothing, diapers, diaper wipes, water bottles. This will be significantly lighter! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter