• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Sizzling Summer Sports Spectacular Grand Gathering ---- July 2010

rockandrollmomma

Earning My Ears
Hello fellow Disney fans. After years of reading everyone’s trip reports I decided this is my year. I am taking the plunge and finally after 4 trips over the last 4 years going to write my own story to share with you all. thumbsup2

First off I want to introduce my family:

This is my husband, Jonathan, soon to be 32 on August 6th.. We were high school sweethearts and began dating when I was 15, he was 16. He’s the yin to my yang, my best friend, my partner in crime. We got married in 1998 and just celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary this past March. Jonathan had an inexperienced childhood and never left the state of Texas until he was in his 20s. He grew up with a severely handicapped brother therefore his family didn’t go out much much less took family vacations. In fact his first trip to Olive Garden was when I took him for his 18th birthday! Jonathan is an avid Miami Dolphins fan and loves music (Motley Crue, KISS, Ozzy, Metallica). He has been a Financial Advisor since 2005 so reading the Wall Street Journal, Money, Fortune and any other type of financial information is his hobby. He also enjoys working out and exercising.

IMG_0342640x480.jpg

This is our son Jordan. He is 12 years old (do the math here!). This kid gives me a run for my money and he is my spitting image. He’s an entertainer, LOVES to be in the center of attention and have a good time. Jordan loves anything SPORTS. Baseball, Football, Basketball, Golf, Fishing you name it, he LOVES it. Here’s a photo of him acting goofy at T-Bone Tom’s in Kemah, Texas (featured on Guy’s Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives). Jordan thrives on picking on his sister and loves to get her all worked up. He tends to be a little forgetful and amazingly does the disappearing act when there’s work to be done. I am patiently waiting for him to become interested in his appearance and hygiene……………I know it’s got to be coming soon!!!!

IMG_0348640x480.jpg

Here’s a real shot of Jordan with his 1st place prize basket from the Easter coloring contest last year (note this was taken in the morning after I fixed his hair for him.)

101_0174Small.jpg

Next up is Hayley. Hayley will be 10 years old this October and is my helper. She has a very good work ethic for her ripe age and LOVES-LOVES-LOVES money. This girl is going to have to marry someone rich when she gets older because she LOVES to shop! Hayley is very good at cleaning up and will often take it upon herself to sweep, do the dishes, vacuum, walk the dog, etc……. of course, she does expect a dollar here or there every now and then. Hayley is also a very smart, straight A student. This year she made 100 on both of her 3rd grade TAKS tests and earned $40 from her dad for her achievements. She wasn’t going to let that bet and that $40 sneak by her.

Here’s Hayley in one of my favorite pictures from our September 2008 FREE DINING trip.
101_1551Small.jpg

Here’s another great shot of Hayley on the backlot tour tram:
101_1630Small.jpg

Finally up is myself. My name is Dalyn (pronounced Day-Lyn) and I am currently 31 years old. I am the planner. I am an A type personality and have to be in control – my 2nd toe is longer than my big toe and my momma always told me that was a sign of bossiness (I think she’s right!) I was blessed to be raised on Disney and took four trips as a kid growing up to Disney and a couple trips snow skiing in Angel Fire New Mexico. Being able to take my kids to experience the Disney Magic brought back so many great memories of my trips as a kid (including the “fat lip” I got from having to leave the line at DUMBO when I was 5 to run to the bathroom – oh the horrors! ).

Currently I am employed full-time for a Texas Brahman cattle breeder and enrolled as a student at University of Houston pursuing my dream of obtaining an Accounting degree. In the Spring of 2010 I took 12 hours and maintained a 4.0 GPA all while working full-time. I am already enrolled for 12 hours in the Fall and hope to keep that GPA up. If all goes well I plan to graduate in the Spring of 2012. I am also an Avon Representative and a licensed insurance agent. In my “spare” time I enjoy working out in my home gym and watching reality t.v.

Here’s a photo of me from March at the Big Texan Steak Ranch (featured on Man vs. Food). Note: I did not have the 72 oz. steak!!! lol
IMG_0092640x480.jpg

Up next, a recap of our previous trips!:cheer2:

As I stated before we have taken 4 trips to Disney over the last four years and this trip will be our 5th! I consider myself extremely lucky to be able to visit Mickey so often. :cool1:

It all started when my husband bought us tickets for our 8th anniversary in 2006. :love: I had been talking about going back to Disney for a couple of years and he surprised me with two 10 day park hoppers, waterpark fun and more, no expiration tickets. Once I got those puppies in my hand – it was on!!!! I quickly booked our trip and got in on the very first FREE DINING Disney offer. We had a GREAT trip and turned my husband into the DISNEY monster he is today. :pirate: Unfortunately I don’t have any photos from this trip handy to post.

While at the world in September 2006, he learned that he qualified for a trip through the company he works for. We had told our children (ages 8 & 5 at the time) that we would take them on the 1st trip that dad won and I told Jonathan that after a few hours of being at Disney that it was THE PLACE to go!!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

So, six months later in March 2007 we took our first family trip to Disney on the company’s dime. This trip was soo great. The company flew us to Orlando, put us up in the Boardwalk Villas with a pool view, included a rental car, some group meals, $300 breakfast allowance, and 5 day park hopper passes for the family. We didn’t have FREE DINING on this trip so other than the group meals the company sponsored we ventured off-property to eat quite often. The kids LOVED Disney and I had so much fun seeing them experience the MAGIC. :wizard:

Here are some photos from the 2007 trip:

image118.jpg

image30.jpg

image08.jpg

image16.jpg

image46.jpg

Then in September 2008 we HAD to go back because FREE DINING was offered again. This trip we drove to save money. We booked connecting rooms at the ASSp and ate WAY TOO much. The connecting rooms were great as they allowed us to have access to 2 bathrooms, including 2 showers for about the same price as one room at a moderate resort. We are so SPOILED with this plan that I couldn’t imagine doing it any other way.
Here are some pictures from our 2008 trip:
101_1638Small.jpg

101_1624Small.jpg

101_1598Small.jpg

101_1583Small.jpg

101_0773Small.jpg

When FREE DINING was offered again in 2009 we couldn’t help ourselves but book again for the same week in September. Again , we drove to Florida since the kids didn’t like flying anyhow, saved a ton of money and enjoyed having our own car to get around. Here are a few shots from that trip:
IMG_0669640x480.jpg

IMG_0647640x480.jpg

Mitchell Musso just happened to be at Hollywood Studios this day!
IMG_0548640x480.jpg

IMG_0513640x480.jpg

IMG_0465640x480.jpg

IMG_0453640x480.jpg

How this trip wasn't supposed to happen?? A Grand Gathering??? Who's coming with us??? How soon do we leave?? STAY TUNED.......:happytv:

Now that you know all of us it’s time to get into the important things:

Where are we staying?
Who’s going with us?
When do we leave?

As I previously stated this trip WAS NOT supposed to happen – while we were on our trip in September 2009, we were just beginning to build a new house. Actually, the 2nd day we were in Disney our slab was being poured by the builder.

During our ride home we discussed our future Disney trip and figured we needed a break to adjust to these new expenses. During our discussion we decided that we wouldn't visit Mickey in 2010 and take the next trip in May 2011…………………….UNTIL……………………….April 2010. :rolleyes1

So we moved into the new house in February 2010 and our really good friends, Matthew and Heather, were over for a visit back in April. Matthew has never been to Disney and it's been about 16 years since Heather's been. We pulled out the Disney stuff once again -- photo albums, home videos, trip planning books, my excel spreadsheet, yada yada yada and the convincing began..........

Here's a photo of our friends. Jonathan and I set up these two love-birds back in September 2005 and they were married in April 2006. :love:
mattheather.jpg

They have 2 boys:

Jack
jack.jpg

Max
max.jpg

Heather relied on Jonathan and I to convince Matthew to go……………….so before they left we looked over the calendar and picked out dates that would fit everyone's hectic schedules. I told her I would see what I could come up with for costs, etc. and figure out the best deal and get back to her. Well, what do you know --- Monday morning I was surprised with a PIN code for FREE DINING in my inbox that included the dates we were looking at. I called Jonathan up and explained to him just how much money we could save :teacher: and how much FUN it would be if we took this trip! Being the monster I created him to be - he obliged and the phone calls and emails began...........:cool1:

Quickly I got to work and before the end of the day were were A GRAND GATHERING :grouphug: booked – 3 rooms at the DISNEY All-Star Sports (yes, for the 4th time -- I know! But hey, we are SPORTY PEOPLE here! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:) with waterparks, fun and more park hoppers for 10 fabulous days in at the end of July 2010. So, in just 10 days from today we’ll be leaving for our 5th trip in 5 years!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

FREE DINING??? So where are you going to eat???

July 2012 here we come. Love the get you to the moment. I'll be watching.

DINING - Now, being the planning type I am this is my favorite part! For the first couple of trips I planned EVERY THING out………..now being the park pro I am, the only really important part of the trip are your ADR’s. Once you figure out where and when you’re going to eat – the rest will fall into place.

As soon as I hit the 180 day mark I got to work and started making reservations. I booked EVERYWHERE and at one point I had 20 (yes T.W.E.N.T.Y.) table service meals booked……….YIKES!!!! Since our friends have no idea about what to expect all of the choices were left to Jonathan and I.

After much review and deliberating and debating we settled upon the following:

Day 1 – Whispering Canyon Café Dinner (Love the atmosphere here!)

Day 2 – 1900 Park Fare Breakfast (A first this trip)

Day 3 – Teppan Edo (Another first)

Day 4 – 50’s Prime Time Dinner (A family favorite)

Day 5 – Le Cellier Lunch (OMG – can’t wait for the mushroom filet! YUM-MEE!)

Day 5 – Garden Grill Dinner (Another first)

Day 6 – Ohana’s Dinner (Ate here in ’08)

Day 7 – Coral Reef Late Lunch (Haven’t been back here since ’06 – kids will think it’s cool)

Day 8 – Kona Café Breakfast (paying for this out of pocket)

Day 8 – Yak & Yeti Lunch

Most of our dinners are set fairly early so we’ll have plenty of time to walk off the enormous amount of calories we’ll be ingesting!!! For our counter service meals we’ll definitely hit up Pizzafari (probably our favorite counter service in all the parks) and Pecos Bill’s.

I was very careful in my planning and was sure to book meals in the parks with EMH or at resorts near the parks with EMH as I KNOW we’ll be taking advantage of the parks being open LATE!!!!

Up next - packing!
Do we have everything we need for the trip?
What's in the box???
And --- how this trip is going cost more than all the other trips combined!!!! :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter