• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Signature a Day Keeps Reality Away: A Sep '15 Dining Report - Updated 4/11 x2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Jiko experience looks like it was great! I think AKL is so beautiful! Jiko is still on my ultimate wish list but i'm not sure I'll be fitting it in anytime soon :(. I've never been adventures enough to try lamb, but your pic makes it look really good!

a3470702-c548-4005-aa19-f0b4bbfd6435.jpg
Oh man. OH MAN. This looks incredible I want that RIGHT NOW. :hyper:

what kid isn't a fan of tiny veggies
This one. Blech. :crazy2:

They both enjoyed their choices, even more so as they ate them on our balcony while watching Wishes.
That sounds just about perfect. :cutie:

I've made it about halfway through this report, but have to jump in to comment that thanks to you I tried the Ahi nachos at Yak and Yeti in December! I had never looked at this option, as I love their dim sum basket, but after your review, I shared it with my DH. Apparently, I did not listen to your description of its enormous size, as we also shared the lettuce wraps and an entree between us. Meaning a huge amount of nachos left the table unbeaten, much to my dismay. It was fantastic! Apparently, we have the same favorite drink taste. I just tried the avocado margarita (and fell in love), but why didn't mine come with the Himalayan salt rim?!! I am going to use that as justification for a summer trip. My DH missed Peter Pan this trip, we all missed Festival of the Lion King, but I missed a salt rim, so we need to go back!

For my entree, I decided to follow the suggestion of Ashley (aka @Vernie822) and ordered the Ahi Tuna Nachos for Two for only me, myself, and I.

This is Sushi grade ahi, Asian slaw, served atop crispy fried wontons with wasabi aioli and sweet soy glaze. If you're thinking these can't be as good as they look, you would most certainly be wrong. They are quite simply unbelievably delicious. The wonton chips were airy and crispy and stood up well to all the topping. The tuna was as pink and fresh as could be and despite a lot of ingredients was the clear star of the plate. The wasabi cream added a hint of heat and the slaw some good crunchiness. And as it turns out the name "for Two" was not an oxymoron. These things are huge and I could only eat about a third by myself.

I'm joining in a little late but you had me at tuna nachos! I'm obsessed with Ahi Tuna and these are making me drool. I was planning on skipping Y&Y on our next trip only because this is only our 2nd trip so I was going to try and do all new restaurants and not repeat any we had last time (other than CRT since that's a must for my DD). But now I think I have to repeat this ADR too. I loved the food at Y&Y when we went in 2013 but I don't remember these being on the menu. I will now dream of these until November :love:

Ooh, that lamb at Jiko looked sweet, tender and delicious! We love our lamb and seeing such a lovely dish does makes the mouth water. Who's kidding whom? Your entire report is making me hungry! One thing that did surprise, though, was the thought of a port wine reduction with flavours as delicate as lamb and fig. How did you find that combination?

Love that you got to watch Wishes from your balcony!
Now I should add it was through some trees, but still a very unexpected and wonderful treat.

First off, Jiko sounds wonderful! I wish we could've experienced that when we stayed at AKL. Next time for sure although it sounds like we may have to start out at Sanaa for some bread service ;)
You should definitely give Jiko a whirl. It has never done us wrong. Just start at the Sanaa bar and have some bread then head up to Jiko for your entrees ; ) Sounds perfect to me.

You have such adventurous taste and I love it! All of your food looks delicious, especially the mac and cheese and Jason's soup. And who doesn't love tiny carrots?!
We all just love food and are willing to try just about anything once. Well except for mushrooms for me and randomly quesadillas for Casey.

Yummers to Jiko! I have never been to AKL but I can see it's yet another destination I need to add to my list. Why is there never enough time at Disney to do everything I want to do???
So many restaurants, so little time :-)

Sounds like another fantastic meal at Jiko! With all these amazing signature meals you're making it hard to choose just one for our next trip. ;)
Choosing one sounds downright impossible to me. What are you leaning toward?

Jiko was DS's favorite after our first couple of trips but we haven't been back in several trips. Artist Point is his new first love and I have been partial to Flying Fish. DH and I are debating where we will stay for our as of yet unbooked October trip but AKL is in the running. I am sure we will hit Jiko if we end up staying there. (I admit, I am hoping for the Boardwalk!)

Your meal looks really good. Not sure I would have enjoyed the mac & cheese though. I don't eat lamb but DS would have loved it I am sure!
We've loved Jiko for years and its consistently been one of our favorites. You all definitely need to get back there.

We'll be staying at WL on our upcoming trip (just changed from beach club today) so I'm sure we'll be back at Artist Point. We've only done it once and were dead tired the night we had it, so looking forward to experiencing it wide awake ; )

Looks like a wonderful meal at Jiko! I really think its awesome that Casey is so willing to eat whatever it is you are having . That lamb looks good!
We are very, very luck that Casey will eat just about everything. Funny aside a few weeks ago we went to Trader Joes and I let her pick out what we would make for dinner. She picked lamb and brussels sprouts. Kid is one of a kind ; )

Joining in a little late, love your dining reports! You've made me hungry! I can't wait to see where you go next!
Welcome. And great name by the way :-)

I'm sorry the bread service was disappointing. I'm thinking of Sanaa for October for the Naan service.
Definitely get to Sanaa if you can. The bread is amazing and your boys will love the animal views.

Right? Tiny vegetables for the win!
Why is it the smaller you make food, the better it tastes?

Now that sounds just about perfect! And that sushi candy kit that Casey has looks like something we will need to look for in May - the boys would love it!
We let her have a hay day picking out Candy in Japan. Its all pretty cheap and great to keep her going on long park days ; )

Just joining in, but I had to say something as a fellow DC dweller! I may have gone to JMU, but I still say yay Hokies. :) If you liked the lobster mac and cheese at Narcoossee's, you should definitely check out Cheesetique in Shirlington and Alexandria. They have all types of mac and cheese, but their lobster one is my favorite! Oooey gooey goodness.

I'm taking so many notes for my upcoming trip! My DF and I have a bucket list of hitting every signature restaurant and at least one restaurant in each pavilion in the World Showcase, so this trip report is so helpful! Jiko is definitely getting bumped up higher on that list after your review.
Welcome fellow Washingtonian. I actually wanted to go to JMU, but got wait listed and ended up at VT. Loved my time there, but every time I took that awful drive down 81 I wished I could just stop in Harrisonburg.

I haven't heard of Cheestique and will definitely check it out. We're a bit further out in the burbs but try and get into Arlington or Alexandria on a semi regular basis.

Love your bucket list plan. Jiko is our go to signature so you should definitely give it some good consideration

Glad you guys had a great meal at Jiko. I wish my hubby would go back, we had a terrible meal there back in 2009 and haven't returned. One of these days we will.
Yikes. Just have him read a few of our reviews and maybe that can change his mind ; )

Thank you for the great review of Jiko! Love the pics. Jiko is on the radar but I love Sanaa and since its what I know, its hard to make that leap. Jiko gets lots of love on the Boards but we don't always see that many pics so your review was a real plus & pick me up on this cold Monday! :flower:
Glad Jiko and I could perk you up a bit. Its a tough call between Jiko and Sanna. Love the apps at Sanna better, but the entrees at Jiko blow Sanaa away. #AKLDilemmas

Looks great
It was ; )

Joining late, but everything looks great! Jiko looks amazing!
Welcome to the party. Jiko was amazing as always

Your Jiko experience looks like it was great! I think AKL is so beautiful! Jiko is still on my ultimate wish list but i'm not sure I'll be fitting it in anytime soon :(. I've never been adventures enough to try lamb, but your pic makes it look really good!
If you like beef, lamb isn't that far off. I find lamb more tender and it has a bit of a stronger flavor. If someone near ya has it give it a whirl. Only think that can happen is you don't like it ; )

Oh man. OH MAN. This looks incredible I want that RIGHT NOW. :hyper:
You and me both. Though its 5pm and I haven't showered and I'm guessing I wouldn't be accepted at any place selling lamb ; )

This one. Blech. :crazy2:
I said kid, not overgrown toddler :-)

That sounds just about perfect. :cutie:
Only thing that was missing was a little bit of vino :drinking1

I've made it about halfway through this report, but have to jump in to comment that thanks to you I tried the Ahi nachos at Yak and Yeti in December! I had never looked at this option, as I love their dim sum basket, but after your review, I shared it with my DH. Apparently, I did not listen to your description of its enormous size, as we also shared the lettuce wraps and an entree between us. Meaning a huge amount of nachos left the table unbeaten, much to my dismay. It was fantastic! Apparently, we have the same favorite drink taste. I just tried the avocado margarita (and fell in love), but why didn't mine come with the Himalayan salt rim?!! I am going to use that as justification for a summer trip. My DH missed Peter Pan this trip, we all missed Festival of the Lion King, but I missed a salt rim, so we need to go back!
Yeah, I'm so happy you tried the nachos and loved them as much as I did. They are huge though. The say they are for 2, but I"m thinking 4 is a bit more appropriate. And the margarita too!!! Sounds like we have some pretty similar tastes, which of course means we have the best tastes ever :-) And a summer trip is a must do so you can get your salt.

Thanks for reading!

I'm joining in a little late but you had me at tuna nachos! I'm obsessed with Ahi Tuna and these are making me drool. I was planning on skipping Y&Y on our next trip only because this is only our 2nd trip so I was going to try and do all new restaurants and not repeat any we had last time (other than CRT since that's a must for my DD). But now I think I have to repeat this ADR too. I loved the food at Y&Y when we went in 2013 but I don't remember these being on the menu. I will now dream of these until November :love:
Welcome to the food party. If you love ahi you should definitely give the nachos a whirl. If you wanted to try some other restaurants perhaps you could have them as a "snack" at the bar.

Ooh, that lamb at Jiko looked sweet, tender and delicious! We love our lamb and seeing such a lovely dish does makes the mouth water. Who's kidding whom? Your entire report is making me hungry! One thing that did surprise, though, was the thought of a port wine reduction with flavours as delicate as lamb and fig. How did you find that combination?
You pretty much just perfectly described the lamb. It was delicious. The wine reduction was more fig than wine tasting (aka it was sweet) so the pairing was nice.

It's Bloody Time

Today was our resort day and we decided to start with what else but, breakfast at the resort!!!! Novel concept, huh?

After sleeping in a bit we meandered over to the great ceremonial house for our dining destination: Kona Cafe. It was a little after 10 when we arrived and we were able to be seated pretty quickly despite not having an ADR.

Jason elected to start off the meal with his favorite coffee on property: French Press Kona Coffee.

I on the other hand had no idea why someone would order caffeine when there is vodka to be had. Please do enjoy the Kona Bloody Mary.

This is a pretty standard take on a bloody mary, but adds in some wasabi for additional heat. It's very good, and pretty cheap at $7.99, but if you are wary of spice back away from the bloody.

While our drinks came fairly quickly, waiting for our food was a whole nother story. While the restaurant was about 3/4 of the way full, we ended up waiting about 30 minutes for our food to come out. Someone was none too happy about this.

FINALLY our food arrived and not a minute too soon. Casey ordered the Mickey pancakes, which were just regular pancakes put together to form a Mickey shape vice actually being shaped like him like the waffles are. That was a very long explanation now made even longer, for what a picture can easily show you.

These were pancakes 101, but Case declared them delicious and even cut them herself.

For his entree, Jason got what has become his favorite: The Big Kahuna Platter.

Do not adjust your TV sets, there is that much food on this plate. It comes with French Toast, Pancakes topped with Pineapple Sauce and Macadamia Nut Butter, Eggs, Home-fried Potatoes, Ham, Bacon, and Sausage all for the low, low price of $12.99. This dish is a glutinous paradise and despite claiming he just ordered this for the pancakes and eggs, Jason managed to finish it all. His favorite is always the pancakes and he commented he could do without the pineapple, it the macadamia butter that really puts these over the top.

For my dish I contemplated finally trying the Tonga Toast, but in the end couldn't tear myself away from my beloved Samoan.

This is essentially eggs benedict, but served over a pulled pork hash vice the english muffin and canadian bacon. The hash has bread in it, along with tender and flavorful pulled pork. It is topped with perfectly poached eggs, a lemony hollandaise and arugula and is absolute breakfast perfection. I'm not even a big breakfast fan, but this is without question the best breakfast dish I've ever had.

I've found service at Kona is always lacking. This time around our waitress seemed to think she was working at waffle house, vice a restaurant at disney world, and despite keeping us waiting on multiple occasions she somehow made us feel like we were the ones holding her up. But I can get over that for the wonderful food. With our tables in wonderland card we saved $9.19 and this was the one occasion where our server earned no where near the 18% TiW adds in.

Up next some snacks and adult beverages pool side.

Last edited:
Your breakfast at Kona looks delicious. We have eaten there twice (once for breakfast and once for dinner) and both times the service was seriously lacking. It is a bummer because the food is so good. We won't go out of our way to eat breakfast there again but it looks like we will be at Poly or BLT for our next trip, which would make it worth it.

Love a Kona breakfast! I am with your husband on the French press. Disney isn't exactly a coffee meca, but the Kona blend holds it's own. I tried the Samoan for the first time on my last trip. I was divided... The lemony hollandaise and arugula was fantastic. I could not quite love the hash. Wonder if they would just do the top half of the dish? After trying my son's macadamia pancakes, though, I may be going with theBig Kahuna regardless! We wouldn't let my 3 year old order Mickey pancakes this trip. Last summer she developed a passion for collecting... Not eating them. She wouldn't touch them, but wanted them to go and carried them around until we would toss them. Funny, but not so fun to do. Glad your girl cut them and ate them!

We feel the same way about Kona service as well! Last time I ate there for dinner (Dec 2014), it was like that. Sorry it took so long for you to get your food! Glad everything was super tasty though and you got to start with vodka! I can't wait until I can get some vodka tomorrow.

Not a huge eggs Benedict fan (have not found one I really liked and tend not to try too many for fear I won't like it:laughing:. . . All of that said, your description (and your previous reviews) cause me to want to try the Samoan. I'm sure I'll be trying the tonga toast my next trip, but perhaps I can convince my travel partner to try this for me so I can sneak a bite. That or plan my return trip to WDW ;).

Love the Samoan! We definitely don't go to breakfast often enough at WDW. Neither DS or I are morning people. DH and I are planning on trying doing breakfasts in October - I thought mostly new places, but we may have to make a trip back to Kona!

Totally agree on the service there though. We had dinner this past trip and service was ridiculously slow and just generally lacking with the restaurant 1/2 empty. I won't be repeating dinner any time soon.

I agree that service at Kona always seems to be lacking but breakfast is always so good there that I can look over the slow service. Some day I'm going to try the Somoan.

the macadamia butter that really puts these over the top
Isn't that butter wonderful! Kona serves that at dinner with their complimentary bread service. Yumm! I agree with the service. Just all over the place and never consistent. I've only been to dinner x2 but my first visit the food and service was top notch. I had a 4:30pm ressie so that may be why. In Nov, my food was cold because my service was terrible. That was a 5:40pm ressie. Maybe chronically understaffed and then with the volume growing through the night, servers get frazzled and growly attitude happens? Who knows. Too bad because the menu has the potential to be very, very good. I don't have TiW so at least I don't have to deal with the mandatory tip when service is bad. That just adds insult to injury.

I on the other hand had no idea why someone would order caffeine when there is vodka to be had. Please do enjoy the Kona Bloody Mary.

My kinda morning! $7.99 is really not bad at all for that, especially in Disney, land of overpriced mixed drinks.

Do not adjust your TV sets, there is that much food on this plate. It comes with French Toast, Pancakes topped with Pineapple Sauce and Macadamia Nut Butter, Eggs, Home-fried Potatoes, Ham, Bacon, and Sausage all for the low, low price of $12.99. This dish is a glutinous paradise and despite claiming he just ordered this for the pancakes and eggs, Jason managed to finish it all. His favorite is always the pancakes and he commented he could do without the pineapple, it the macadamia butter that really puts these over the top.

YUM. Of course I love those pancakes. Definitely looks like a delicious spread that would keep you full for a while.

I've found service at Kona is always lacking. This time around our waitress seemed to think she was working at waffle house, vice a restaurant at disney world, and despite keeping us waiting on multiple occasions she somehow made us feel like we were the ones holding her up. But I can get over that for the wonderful food. With our tables in wonderland card we saved $9.19 and this was the one occasion where our server earned no where near the 18% TiW adds in.

Ha! We must have had the same waitress. ;)

Yum. Every time I see this dish, it looks fantastic! Glad you guys enjoyed Kona - it makes me want to go back every time to try something new.

Looks delicious! We try and squeeze in Kona on our trips, but won't make it this year. I agree with you on the service, we have had mediocre and downright awful service. I wonder what the deal is?!?

I'm not really a breakfast eater (except my bowl of cheerios) but that Samoan looks incredibly delicious :)

Your breakfast at Kona looks delicious. We have eaten there twice (once for breakfast and once for dinner) and both times the service was seriously lacking. It is a bummer because the food is so good. We won't go out of our way to eat breakfast there again but it looks like we will be at Poly or BLT for our next trip, which would make it worth it.
I'm with you on the service. At this point I think we just expect it and go along for the ride. Heck they could even throw the Samoan at me and I'd eat it ; )

Love a Kona breakfast! I am with your husband on the French press. Disney isn't exactly a coffee meca, but the Kona blend holds it's own. I tried the Samoan for the first time on my last trip. I was divided... The lemony hollandaise and arugula was fantastic. I could not quite love the hash. Wonder if they would just do the top half of the dish? After trying my son's macadamia pancakes, though, I may be going with theBig Kahuna regardless! We wouldn't let my 3 year old order Mickey pancakes this trip. Last summer she developed a passion for collecting... Not eating them. She wouldn't touch them, but wanted them to go and carried them around until we would toss them. Funny, but not so fun to do. Glad your girl cut them and ate them!
Coffee meca disney sure is not, so the french press is a nice change of pace. I detest coffee yet still drink a cup a day for the caffeine, so even the good stuff is lost on me.

I'm sure they probably could do just the top part of the meal, leaves more hash for the rest of us ; )

Laughing out loud at your daughter collecting mickey pancakes along the way. Sounds like something mine might have tried in her younger years.

We feel the same way about Kona service as well! Last time I ate there for dinner (Dec 2014), it was like that. Sorry it took so long for you to get your food! Glad everything was super tasty though and you got to start with vodka! I can't wait until I can get some vodka tomorrow.
Hope you enjoyed that vodka of yours :drinking1

Not a huge eggs Benedict fan (have not found one I really liked and tend not to try too many for fear I won't like it:laughing:. . . All of that said, your description (and your previous reviews) cause me to want to try the Samoan. I'm sure I'll be trying the tonga toast my next trip, but perhaps I can convince my travel partner to try this for me so I can sneak a bite. That or plan my return trip to WDW ;).
I tend to not like the canadian bacon part of a benedict, but love a good poached egg and hollandaise so this is perfect with the pork and hash. If you're on the fence I definitely wouldn't order it but hopefully your travel partner does so you can at least try it.

Love the Samoan! We definitely don't go to breakfast often enough at WDW. Neither DS or I are morning people. DH and I are planning on trying doing breakfasts in October - I thought mostly new places, but we may have to make a trip back to Kona!

Totally agree on the service there though. We had dinner this past trip and service was ridiculously slow and just generally lacking with the restaurant 1/2 empty. I won't be repeating dinner any time soon.
We aren't morning people either, and Casey and I could leave breakfast all together, but Jason loves it so I try to indulge him. We usually do disney breakfast later in the morning to give ourselves some time to get up and our bellies some time to get hungry ; ) Can't wait to see what you try in October. I tried to get Jason to try Whispering Canyon or The Wave next trip, but he's already requested Kona again.

I agree that service at Kona always seems to be lacking but breakfast is always so good there that I can look over the slow service. Some day I'm going to try the Somoan.
You and me both! As long as the food is always good, I'll keep looking the other way too but hopefully one day they get their act together.

Isn't that butter wonderful! Kona serves that at dinner with their complimentary bread service. Yumm! I agree with the service. Just all over the place and never consistent. I've only been to dinner x2 but my first visit the food and service was top notch. I had a 4:30pm ressie so that may be why. In Nov, my food was cold because my service was terrible. That was a 5:40pm ressie. Maybe chronically understaffed and then with the volume growing through the night, servers get frazzled and growly attitude happens? Who knows. Too bad because the menu has the potential to be very, very good. I don't have TiW so at least I don't have to deal with the mandatory tip when service is bad. That just adds insult to injury.
I had no idea that butter was served with their bread at dinner. Totally kicking myself for not trying dinner now. Sad to hear dinner service is no better than breakfast. I can handle it when someone is slinging eggs and pancakes, but a nice sit down dinner is a different story.

My kinda morning! $7.99 is really not bad at all for that, especially in Disney, land of overpriced mixed drinks.
#BestDealOnProperty

Ha! We must have had the same waitress. ;)
I think they are all the same waiter/waitress there ; )

Yum. Every time I see this dish, it looks fantastic! Glad you guys enjoyed Kona - it makes me want to go back every time to try something new.
Definitely give it a whirl sometime. Its amazing

Looks delicious! We try and squeeze in Kona on our trips, but won't make it this year. I agree with you on the service, we have had mediocre and downright awful service. I wonder what the deal is?!?
I really have no idea what is up with the service. It is certainly an anomaly in the sea of disney service

I'm not really a breakfast eater (except my bowl of cheerios) but that Samoan looks incredibly delicious :)
I'm not much of a breakfast eater either, but we usually go closer to lunch time to give me some time to get hungry ; ) Otherwise its usually just some coffee for me.

Breakfast at Kona looks delicious, of course. Slow service can make a meal miserable but I'm glad the food wasn't upstaged by the grumpy server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter