A Signature a Day Keeps Reality Away: A Sep '15 Dining Report - Updated 4/11 x2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the Poly rooms - we'll be in DVC accommodations whenever we end up staying there, so it's nice to see what the hotel side of things looks like! Plus, you really can't beat the Monorail line and Dole Whip and Tonga Toast within walking distance :D

Looks like a great start to the trip, despite the early wake up call. Can't wait to read more!

Wow the room is really nice. Not nice enough to make me stay there, but nice.

Yay sunshine seasons, we always end up eating there at at least 1 EPCOT day (or as my daughter is calling it Apricot).
Sounds like we should get Casey and your daughter together for a day in Apricot Ep-A-Cot ; )

The room was definitely nice and I'm glad we finally got to check Poly off our hotel bucket list. Just have Contemporary and Yacht or Beach Club to go and we'll have stayed everyone on our disney bucket lists.

I'm just joining. Your room looks fab. Love Sunshine seasons. Looking forward to loads of food to help with our planning for August.
Welcome to the food party. There will definitely be copious amounts of food to come.

Following along Casey is adorable
Thanks so much. We certainly think she is pretty darn cute ; )

Casey is adorable! Especially loved her pre-Mickey enthusiasm photo. That's me every time I think about my upcoming trip.

The meal at Sunshine looks refreshing. Well if it's the best CS then I guess I'll have to try it.
I'm actually a little scared to read the rest of your report since I know I'll probably want to eat at every one. Just when I thought I finally had it all figured out when it comes to where I want to eat...... Decisions, decisions....
But now I'm addicted so can't stay away now. Guess for now I'll have to eat vicariously thru you and this report...
Looking forward to it
Thank you. Definitely give sunshine seasons a whirl. We don't do a ton of counter services, but to me it, Flame Tree, and Tangerine Cafe are in a class all their own.

Disney food decisions are definitely hard. Hope this can help in some small way and not just confuse things even more ; )

What a great start! We stayed at the Poly back in 09 and enjoyed it. Sunshine season looks so good, can you believe I have never been. Just need to branch out and try something new next time.
No, I can't believe you have never been. You've been everywhere!!!!

What an opening day! Casey is such a sweetie!

I couldn't agree more with your Sunshine Season thoughts. There is something for everyone. It is a never-fail stop for our Epcot days. (Or should that be Ep-A-Cot?!)
Ahh, thanks so much. Casey is definitely pretty darn sweet. She's all her Daddy in that regard, but she's starting to discover sarcasm so look out world.

Glad to hear you all enjoy sunshine seasons too It had been a few trips since we'd eaten there so I was thrilled to be back.

Joining in, I so want to try the Sunshine Season. We did stay at the Poly last November and despite the construction we had a great time. It looks like the Sunshine Seasons has many unique choices which is a nice change for a QS.
Sunshine definitely has tons of great options. We stuck with the sandwich options this time around, but they have great entrees as well. I still recall a butternut squash soup and a beet salad I had several trips ago because it was so darn good.

Absolutely! We're just never over in this area around meal time! We're usually deep in the WS.
Anything Turkey and Ciabatta is my DM's FAVORITE! And the fact that it has way too much bread, is for reals, up her alley.
Sounds like you'll have to venture outside of WS just for your Mom!!!!

And now it's in my head:thumbsup2
It is certainly a contagious little diddy. I still sing it when we ride, much to the chagrin of Jason and everyone else around me.

I told DH if we're able to go in January, this is a must do for DS!
I don't know how we hadn't made her suffer this this before, but it was "fun" You definitely need to indoctrinate your son into the Beverly club

Do you know how much longer the construction will be going on? I'm really trying not to talk too much about this January trip (Want to get the OK from my doctor before I announce anything, which I'm praying she'll OK!) but I completely lucked out and got 4 nights at the new Poly Villas :hyper:
Yeah for a Poly trip. Fingers crossed the dr gives you the all clear. I believe the construction is scheduled to go on until early next year. They are doing the "quiet" pool by the villas but you should be able to reserve a room on another side of the longhouses.

The Poly looks amazing. Unfortunately I have more of a value shaped wallet but one day I'll get there.

I can't believe how much Casey has grown since your last report - I know it wasn't that long between your last two trips but she looks like she's shot up quite a bit!
Yeah, the deluxes come with quite the price tag. But deluxe or value, its all disney ; )

Casey is growing like a little weed. She's the tallest kid in her preschool class, but with her shorty parents genetics will eventually kick in. So unfortunately for now that just means a new wardrobe every season.

Sunshine Seasons...one of our favorites for a quick bite to eat!
Us too, so delicious.

Kicked in the nuts on the first day of vacation-check! :thumbsup2
You know I love the faux-norail? Even though it's not in Disney yet, it's still my "we're here!" moment each time we go :goodvibes
Glad you enjoyed the Poly overall; DH and I are staying there for the first time in Jan. and I'm really looking forward to it. DH is still whining a bit that I'm pulling him away from his precious BWV.....(which I also love, don't get me wrong!)
Yeah it certainly was a great way to "kick" off vacation.

I love the faux-norail too, but of course only at the beginning of vacation. Between that and Magical express, you know disney happiness is right around the corner.

Hope you enjoy the Poly as much as we did. We loved BW too and being close the Epcot, but there is something decidedly magical about seeing the castle from your resort. And of course with a little one, monorail proximity to MK is always a winner.

Love the Poly rooms - we'll be in DVC accommodations whenever we end up staying there, so it's nice to see what the hotel side of things looks like! Plus, you really can't beat the Monorail line and Dole Whip and Tonga Toast within walking distance :D

Looks like a great start to the trip, despite the early wake up call. Can't wait to read more!
Yeah the Poly room was great and seemed much bigger than some of the other resorts we'd stayed at. I haven't seen too many pics of the villas side, but I'm sure they are equally as wonderful. And you hit the nail on the proverbial head, with the monorail and dole whips at our disposal its pretty darn close to heaven.

Totally have the real housewives don't me tardy to the party song ringing through my head. If you don't know what I'm talking about consider your ears very, very lucky ; )

Yes! That's what I was singing too :music: horribly bad catchy addictive song!

And magical express we were soon greeted my name and with some leis for our first stay at the Polynesian.

Yea! So cool. Can't wait for our first Poly stay next year

Unfortunately as we were boarding the boat Casey was a bit too enthusiastic in her approach and somehow managed to kick her Daddy in the family jewels. I of course being the caring wife that I am took a picture ; )

Oh no poor Jason...but :rotfl2:

Thankfully our room was ready when we got back and despite having a standard room and requesting just to be away from the construction and a top floor, we were thrilled to find ourselves on the 3rd floor of the Samoan longhouse with this as our view.

Love your view, so awesome that you could see the GF! Total score

Sunshine Seasons is great! Lots of good choices!

Yes! That's what I was singing too :music: horribly bad catchy addictive song!
Glad ya got the reference. Not everyone follows my bad reality tv references.

Yea! So cool. Can't wait for our first Poly stay next year
You are so going to love it!!!!
Oh no poor Jason...but :rotfl2:
Yep that was my thought. Of course casey had no idea what she'd done so she couldn't understand why Daddy hurt. But at least she officially kicked vacation off ; )

Love your view, so awesome that you could see the GF! Total score

Sunshine Seasons is great! Lots of good choices!
It was definitely a score. Rooms with water views always make me happy ; )

Very excited to follow along! Looks like fun so far!
Welcome to the party. Hopefully more fun will be commencing tomorrow.

Hello Kari!I just found your report. I think this is the first dedicated dining report I've read, so I'm looking forward to it :)

Hey Jeff, welcome to the food party! As the proud dog mama of 2 newfoundlands, welcome from Newfoundland ; )

California Dreamin' On Such a Summer's Day

Dinner on our first night was one of our perennial favorites: California Grill.

For those who may be new to my disney food style, I'm not a big planner and generally go with the flow and where our taste buds and open ADRs take us rather than make reservations months in advance. Most of what you'll see in my report was made day of or day before, but a few had been made in advance, like this one. I'd been able to score a reservation for Cali a few nights before we left when I realized we'd be too tired to venture too far for dinner. A quick monorail ride away, California Grill seemed a great choice!

On our way to dinner, my little model was feeling the Polynesian landscape and requested a mini photoshoot. This child lacks no self confidence and is mesmerized by images of herself so we of course obliged:

She even got Daddy into the mix. But made me wait until we got to the restaurant before I was allowed to grace her presence.

Now for what I know you all are really here for: FOOD!!!!! As we contemplated our orders, they brought some of the delicious California Grill bread

What you see on top is some pretty standard rolls (I think they may have been sourdough), but underneath is their lavender focaccia which is tender, flavorful, and delicious.

For our appetizer we ordered what ended up being one of my favorite dishes on the trip the Atlantic Blue Point Oysters.

This is wood grilled oysters with a roasted bone marrow emulsion and baguette croutons. First and foremost the oysters were fresh and amazing. Grilling them kept their tenderness and briny quality like they were still raw, but also added an element of smokiness that worked really well. And the bone marrow emulsion brought a richness to the entire dish that really complimented the delicate oysters. My only complaint was there wasn't enough bone marrow on the plate for me ; ) #NoMarrowMoProblems

To pair with the oysters I ordered the....

Ace Joker Hard Cider. This tasted like a mix of champagne and cider to me. At first it was a bit too bubbly for my liking, but it softened over time and paired really nicely with the oysters.

My better half ordered the Coronado Brewing Company Orange Avenue Wit

On their website they say to expect a refreshing, light-bodied brew rife with citrus zing and a hint of earthy spice, but in layman's terms it just tasted like an orangey hefeweizen to me.

For our entree selections Jason got the Oak Grilled Filet of Beef

This is of course a Filet Mignon and is served with Midwestern Sweet Corn Risotto, Grilled Corn Relish, Green Onion Oil, and Popcorn Shoots. I was a bit surprised by Jason's selection as he is a ribeye kind of guy but apparently he was lured by the sweet corn risotto. His steak was tender and cooked a perfect medium rare,. As for the alluring risotto, it was sweet and decadently creamy and the clear star of his plate. While he missed all that good gristle and fat he loves in a steak, he was very pleased with his selection.

As for me and Casey none of the entrees were calling our names so we decided upon the Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Flatbread and Farmer Lee's Tomato Salad to share.

The flatbread was Marinated Tomatoes, House Bacon, Chiffonade Romaine, and a Lemon Mayonnaise. I can only describe the concept and taste of this as strange, because the thought of mayo and lettuce on a flatbread is just plain weird. But that said, this oddly worked. The tomatoes were extremely fresh, the bacon delectable, and while the crust could have been crispier it was a pretty darn good non-BLT BLT.

As for Farmer Lee's Salad....

I have no idea who Farmer Lee is or where I can find him, but I'm sure he got a menu mention because his tomatoes are out of this world. This had not only amazingly fresh heirloom tomatoes, but also tomato chips and a divine tomato jam on top of buffalo mozzarella with a charred onion vinaigrette. In case my many superlatives hadn't given it away already, this salad was simple and representative of everything that a tomato can (and should be). The jam was my favorite part as it was both sweet and tart and had some great sundried tomato and tarragon flavor. The tomato chips could have very well been candy and the onion vinaigrette added a subtle smokiness to the dish.

To go with our entrees we ordered a bottle of Gundlach Bundschu Mountain Cuvee

Gundlach Bundschu (a very German name much easier shortened to Gun Bun) is a Sonoma winery we visited on an anniversary trip a few years ago. This is a delicious cabernet and merlot blend that has notes of plum and smokiness. Its a great wine regardless, but for us
we love that it is something we can't get at home yet can transport us back to an amazing trip.

While we waited for our dessert, Casey thought this was a great time to play
beauty shop with my hair.

While I tried to get her to stop at first, a quick look at the woman behind us wearing almost non existent jean shorts and a barely there crop top, made me less conscious of any sort of behavior we may have exhibited ; )

For dessert we decided to try the chocolate pudding cake

This was billed as chocolate cake with Nutella Filling, Meringue Kisses, and Chantilly Cream. While it had next to no nutella flavoring (much to my chagrin) it was decadently rich and chocolate moose like. I didn't love it as much as the fritters we've enjoyed previously, but it was pretty darn good.

As usual, California Grill was a great experience and we were very satisfied customers, especially this little one.

The food was top notch, the atmosphere amazing, and our server was extremely knowledgeable and on point. This was the perfect way to kick off our signature laden trip and with our tables in wonderland card we saved $37.40.

Up next some magic band tiki god dust and no one eats like Gaston....

Oh my love the little photo shoot!! CG looks so amazing! I remember their filet being pretty good back when we tried it like 5 years ago. I am hoping to score a spot at the bar so I can eat there next month on my little solo adventure. I am trying to decide between it and Narcoossees for the first night. Onto the lady behind me, sounds like the dress code is non existent :(

Love the pictures of you all with your daughter. I travel with my teenage daughter so never get to go to signatures because she is so picky and has a very small appetite. So, I will really enjoy your reviews and hope one day to try a signature spot. We have eaten at CRT for breakfast, this is the closest I have got, and I was not impressed with the breakfast. We had the same magical deal as you in September, we tried the Contemporary since we had never stayed there. We loved it for the proximity to MK and the monorail, but I prefer Poly. We were there 9/2-9/7, quick trip before school started.

Your California Grill evening looks fantastic! I love me some oysters! Yum! I never thought to pair oysters with cider but it makes perfect sense! :thumbsup2 This is the one Signature I'm dong on my Mother /Son trip coming up in June, it's what my son requested for his birthday dinner, can't wait to try it!

I am excited to read your reports.:goodvibes We eat one signature restaurant while we are there and I can't choose which one. Hoping you can help.

Oh the old Beverly trick...my kids do that to each other! There is nothing funnier than tricking your brother into drinking what you think is a gross drink :crazy2:
I am glad you had a good meal at CG. If the worst behavior you had to endure is some hair dressing you are very lucky! ::yes::

I'm late to the party . . . what else is new? :-) Loving your review. Looks like you have another winner on your hands!

Unfortunately as we were boarding the boat Casey was a bit too enthusiastic in her approach and somehow managed to kick her Daddy in the family jewels. I of course being the caring wife that I am took a picture ; )
:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

And yes I'm an equally caring mother as I am wife and let her enjoy her first sip of Beverley

She declared it Nas-teeeeeeee!
Oh, Kari. I'm so happy you're back with another TR. You crack me up. :laughing:

As for our room here are a few pictures.
Beautiful! I'm jealous. Someday! :goodvibes

or our appetizer we ordered what ended up being one of my favorite dishes on the trip the Atlantic Blue Point Oysters.
These look amazeballs. :eek:

To pair with the oysters I ordered the....

Ace Joker Hard Cider. This tasted like a mix of champagne and cider to me. At first it was a bit too bubbly for my liking, but it softened over time and paired really nicely with the oysters.
I would love that. Yum! :cutie:

While I tried to get her to stop at first, a quick look at the woman behind us wearing almost non existent jean shorts and a barely there crop top, made me less conscious of any sort of behavior we may have exhibited ; )
Oh, so good to hear that apprently you don't have to dress up for signatures anymore. :headache: :sad2: :rolleyes:

Oh my love the little photo shoot!! CG looks so amazing! I remember their filet being pretty good back when we tried it like 5 years ago. I am hoping to score a spot at the bar so I can eat there next month on my little solo adventure. I am trying to decide between it and Narcoossees for the first night. Onto the lady behind me, sounds like the dress code is non existent :(
We've had luck at the bar (pre-Casey of course) in the past so hopefully you should be fine. Between the bar and the lounge area, they do have a lot of seating. Though, we tried Narcoosees for the first time this trip and really enjoyed it too. Signature decisions really are just so exhausting aren't they ; )

Love the pictures of you all with your daughter. I travel with my teenage daughter so never get to go to signatures because she is so picky and has a very small appetite. So, I will really enjoy your reviews and hope one day to try a signature spot. We have eaten at CRT for breakfast, this is the closest I have got, and I was not impressed with the breakfast. We had the same magical deal as you in September, we tried the Contemporary since we had never stayed there. We loved it for the proximity to MK and the monorail, but I prefer Poly. We were there 9/2-9/7, quick trip before school started.
Thanks. We're very lucky right now that Casey eats just about anything, just not much of it (hence her just sharing with me). I'm sure that will evolve over time, so for now we're gonna keep milking those signatures for all they are worth.

Looks like our trips overlapped for a few days. Those magical deals really are great, aren't they? I'm dying to stay at the Contemporary sometime. Technically I did stay there when I was like 5 but I'm guess that probably doesn't count ; ) Have another magical deal for April booked for our first time at beach club.

Following along on your Dining Report! Can't wait to see all the yummy food to come!
Thanks for coming along on the food journey with me.

Your California Grill evening looks fantastic! I love me some oysters! Yum! I never thought to pair oysters with cider but it makes perfect sense! :thumbsup2 This is the one Signature I'm dong on my Mother /Son trip coming up in June, it's what my son requested for his birthday dinner, can't wait to try it!
You and me both love oysters. I tend to prefer them raw to cooked, but these smoked ones were delicious.

So glad you get to try California Grill. We rarely miss it as you can't beat the food or views.

I am excited to read your reports.:goodvibes We eat one signature restaurant while we are there and I can't choose which one. Hoping you can help.
Thanks for joining in. The signature dilemma can be a real sofie's choice, but hopefully you see something that trikes your fancy.

Oh the old Beverly trick...my kids do that to each other! There is nothing funnier than tricking your brother into drinking what you think is a gross drink :crazy2:
I am glad you had a good meal at CG. If the worst behavior you had to endure is some hair dressing you are very lucky! ::yes::
I'm sure your boys have a ton of fun with old Beverly. Casey tried to "trick" Jason into drinking it after she did, but strangely that didn't work for some reason.

I'm late to the party . . . what else is new? :-) Loving your review. Looks like you have another winner on your hands!
Better late than never. So glad you're here!

Oh, Kari. I'm so happy you're back with another TR. You crack me up. :laughing:
I think the cracking up is definitely mutual Ms. Pantsfree ; )

These look amazeballs. :eek:
Amazeballs is an understatement. Utter oyster perfection

Oh, so good to hear that apprently you don't have to dress up for signatures anymore. :headache: :sad2: :rolleyes:
Yep, no dressing up required. Just put on your skimpiest and most tattered clothes and mosey on up to the top floor of the Contemporary for what will undoubtedly by unimpressive food in an uninspired setting ; )

No One Eat's Like Gaston, Drinks Like Gaston......

Quick aside before I get into more FOOD, when we got back to the Poly I had to spend some time at the front desk as we were having some magic band issues. Turns out Disney's insistence on sending them for every trip we've taken, plus annual pass bands, meant we had too many on our account and apparently I should have known this. Normally if one worked I wouldn't have cared too much, but Jason had made a bunch of decals for them and I didn't want his work to go to waste. After a bit of trouble trying to figure out what to do, finally a very nice cast member named Warren took pity on my plight and not only got all the bands working, but threw in some pixie dust and gave me 3 "magic" fast passes that I could use at MK, MGM, and Ep-A-Cot respectively. Not only was I extremely grateful and probably a bit too prolific in my thank yous (which may or may not have been the beer/wine talking), but I got some major props from the hubby. You'll see later how we use them, but here is a look at some of Jason's handy work so you can understand my "plight"

Ok, now back to regularly scheduled programming.

The next morning we were out the door by 9 and after a quick monorail ride we arrived at the Magic Kingdom.
Soon we were taking a whirl on some magical teacups

Then terrified our child on the goofy roller coaster (she does actually like it)

Before we hung out with a gypsy

And showed our love to a pilot dog

Then finally stopped for a photo with the section for a park named graciously named after my child

After all of this you won't be surprised to know that are tummys were rumbling so we headed to Gaston's Tavern for a couple of early morning treats. Sadly for me despite being a "tavern" there is no alcohol to be found, but I made the most of it with these tasty treats.

Don't adjust your eyes, the cinnamon roll is that big. Like the three of us shared it kinda big. It's not the yeasty roll I once loved at Main Street Bakery and has an unexpected maple flavor to it, but that aside it is delicious and the perfect morning sugary snack. They also serve it warm so the icing is nice and melted and you can get some with almost every bite.

For those that haven't been to Gaston's this is the LeFou's Brew. Again the "brew," complete with a foam top, is just a tease for what is really a frozen apple juice with a passion fruit foam. LeFou's is definitely a love it or hate it kind of thing as a lot of folks find this a bit too sweet, but I find it nice and refreshing. Now of course I'd prefer it be an actual real brew, but in MK this is as close as I'm gonna get.

Bellies satisfied, we couldn't leave without my two jokesters channeling their inner Gaston.

Up next, an MK lunchtime favorite...

I'm de lurking to say...

I love your reports, I've subbed to them all, and...

Love that retro looking Poly shirt your hubby is wearing. Really cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter