A Semi-Solo President's Day Weekend Extravaganza NEW 4/22 Free Upgrade!

My escape was to the Hall of President's, which had a show starting within 2 minutes when I got there. I had just enough time to see the show before my lunch ADR at LTT.

IMG_0042_2.jpg

IMG_0043_2.jpg

It was a nice break from the pandemonium outside. I hate to admit it but I actually found myself dosing off at one point. This show is just so relaxing. I love learning about the American history though. I really wish I had paid more attention in History class or else I would know more about this stuff!

After the show ended, it was perfect timing to check in at LTT

IMG_0044_2.jpg

I picked this place because I heard they had a decent vegan option on the menu. After my night before, I was looking to put something reasonably healthy into my stomach. I hadn't eaten very much that morning, worried that my stomach couldn't hack it. I hoped it would be ready to take on lunch.

This was probably the most awkward part of my entire solo time in MK. I was seated at a table for 2, which was fine, but it was an odd table. One of those where-can-we-fit-another-table kind of things. It felt like I was sitting in the middle of the dining room. I tried to look past it and instead focused my attention on the menu to find that Veggie burger I had heard about.

IMG_0045_2.jpg

I quenched my thirst with some lemonade

IMG_0046_2.jpg

You know, at first, I really hated this lemonade. What was wrong with the regular lemon stuff? But actually, this pomegranate lemonade really seems to hit the spot when I'm really thirsty. I drank two mugs of this through my lunch!

My server didn't bother me much, which was okay I guess. He seemed busy with other bigger tables anyway. While I waited for my food, I read more of my Steve Jobs book on my phone and people watched. Then along came the food without too long of a wait.

IMG_0047_2.jpg

The sweet potato fries were delicious and so was the burger, minus the bun. That thing was a meal in itself! I just ate the patty and skipped the bun. This veggie burger was okay but nothing special. I really liked the fries more than anything. Why can't Disney sell these things at snack carts?? I'd totally buy them over popcorn.

I was going to get some dessert but decided to let this food settle before getting too ahead of myself. Overall, dining along had its pros and cons. I wouldn't say I'd avoid eating at a sit down place next time I'm alone….. I would just find a quieter, less of a close seating arrangement type restaurant. Like Via Napoli or Tokyo Dining. Everything seems more spread out in those places. Oh, and Le Cellier is the exception as well. I would dine there any chance I got, alone or with a bunch of people.

Since the crowds were astronomical by this point in the day, I headed towards Main Street to do some shopping. My timing was perfect because as I walked into the store, the skies opened up and it started to rain.

IMG_0052_2.jpg

I found these great train pictures that I would later buy for my Dad as a gift for Father's Day.

IMG_0049_2.jpg

IMG_0050_2.jpg

This is the one I ended up getting him

IMG_0051_2.jpg

I also finally found the Walt Disney biography book I have been wanting to buy the last 3 years.

An%20American%20Original.jpg

The first time I found this book, I thought "nah, I won't buy it here. I can probably find it at home or online" How wrong I was…. this book is impossible to find. I have only ever seen it at the parks up until now. It's only recently been made available on Amazon. I didn't want to miss my chance again, so I bought it right then and there.

Since it was now raining, I decided now was as good a time as any to ride the train!

IMG_0054_2.jpg

It was weird having only two stops on the entire loop. Now the Fantasyland stop is open so that should make things more interesting.

IMG_0055_2.jpg

BTMR under refurb

IMG_0057_2.jpg

New Fantasyland train station before the walls were taken down

IMG_0059_2.jpg

IMG_0058_2.jpg

When I got back to Main Street, my original plan was to get off but then I realized I should really get another FP at Splash since I'd be coming back to MK later that night with Bubba. We'd definitely want to ride Splash together so instead of walking allllll the way back to Frontierland, in the rain, with massive amounts of people, I just stayed on and rode around again!

IMG_0060_2.jpg

There were still FPs left and for a reasonable time too so I guess the crowds weren't as crazy as I thought. Perhaps they were just all in Fantasyland :confused3

IMG_0061_2.jpg

Feeling pretty good after a full meal at LTT and having secured another FP, I decided to treat myself with dessert at Aloha Isle.

IMG_0062_2.jpg

I was really starting to like this solo thing. I could do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted!

It was getting close to 2pm by this point and I had really wanted to see the Celebrate a Dream Come True parade. The last few times I've gone, we've skipped it because we'd either had other plans or I was with people who just didn't want to watch a parade. Not this time! Once again, the perk of being solo let me choose what I wanted to do.

I decided to secure a spot on the upper level of the train station an hour before the parade was due to start. I figured I had done mostly everything already (minus PhilharMagic but I wasn't going near Fantasy;and again!) so I spent the next hour people watching and absorbing my surroundings.

IMG_0065_2.jpg

My escape was to the Hall of President's, which had a show starting within 2 minutes when I got there. I had just enough time to see the show before my lunch ADR at LTT.

My kids have never seen this, but I think they'd be bored so I'm torn as to whether I should try to make sure we get this one in this summer.

I quenched my thirst with some lemonade

IMG_0046_2.jpg

Did you get to keep that mug?

IMG_0047_2.jpg

The sweet potato fries were delicious and so was the burger, minus the bun. That thing was a meal in itself! I just ate the patty and skipped the bun.

I was going to ask about that bun...it looks huge in the picture, but I wasn't sure if that was because it was in the foreground. Sheesh!

This is the one I ended up getting him

IMG_0051_2.jpg

Since it was now raining, I decided now was as good a time as any to ride the train!

IMG_0054_2.jpg

Holy moly! Were you trying to take the exact same picture as the painting you bought for your Dad??? :faint:

BTMR under refurb

IMG_0057_2.jpg

Yep, get it all fixed up in time for my visit! :thumbsup2

Feeling pretty good after a full meal at LTT and having secured another FP, I decided to treat myself with dessert at Aloha Isle.

IMG_0062_2.jpg

Oh yeah, that's like medicine to an upset tummy. :love:

Good stuff Jenbear!

I'd heard good things about that quinoa burger. Sorry you weren't impressed.

When I was there in Feb, with my friend Lenore (who is also vegan), we went to LTT for dinner. Dinner there is a traditional Thanksgiving turkey, etc., which of course we didn't want. The server told us we could have the quinoa burger, but we'd have to pay the full price for the dinner ($32). Really? $32 for a burger. We left, and had a lovely meal at the Kona Cafe instead.

It is kind of fun to do Disney on your own, isn't it?

Teresa

Love the update, Jen.

That bun at LTT looks like a meal in itself. :eek:

Mark LOVES the train and a trip is not complete without riding it at least once. Good to hear the Fantasyland station is open again.

I like how you got to do things "you wanted to do, when you wanted to do them" as you were solo.

First of all, I have absolutely no idea how you ate all of that at Le Cellier. But I am very, very impressed. Sorry about what happened later that night, though.

And yes...the crowds! :scared1: We had a similar moment when we were there, were everything was nice and quiet and then all of a sudden Fantasyland was so packed you couldn't move. Made me very happy that I'm relatively experienced. I kept thinking about how rough that week must have been for newbies. :sad2:

My DH has that Walt bio, I've been waiting for a year and a half for him to finish it so I can steal it!
Lunch, despite being a bit awkward, sounds good. Too bad about the rain, but at least you passed some time on the train!

That Walt bio is fantastic. I bought it a few years ago and love it!

Jill in CO

My kids have never seen this, but I think they'd be bored so I'm torn as to whether I should try to make sure we get this one in this summer.

Never seen it!? Glenn, you're slipping! How dare you not subject your offspring to such important American history! :laughing:

Did you get to keep that mug?

Sadly not. It would've been nice for the price I paid - $2.99

I was going to ask about that bun...it looks huge in the picture, but I wasn't sure if that was because it was in the foreground. Sheesh!

It might just be the perspective playing tricks on ya. But it was pretty ginormous.

Holy moly! Were you trying to take the exact same picture as the painting you bought for your Dad??? :faint:

Well..... I had to have a back up just in case I didn't end up buying that other print for him. At that time, I hadn't bought it yet.

Yep, get it all fixed up in time for my visit! :thumbsup2

Oh sure!!! Well I'm going back in May I'll have you know :snooty:

Oh yeah, that's like medicine to an upset tummy. :love:

It actually did make me feel much better :teeth:

Good stuff Jenbear!

Thanks! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

I'd heard good things about that quinoa burger. Sorry you weren't impressed.

When I was there in Feb, with my friend Lenore (who is also vegan), we went to LTT for dinner. Dinner there is a traditional Thanksgiving turkey, etc., which of course we didn't want. The server told us we could have the quinoa burger, but we'd have to pay the full price for the dinner ($32). Really? $32 for a burger. We left, and had a lovely meal at the Kona Cafe instead.

It is kind of fun to do Disney on your own, isn't it?

Teresa

It was good... I've just been spoiled with places here at home like Live and eating at Sanaa. It's a good meal though if you're in MK and looking for something to eat. Sorry to hear LTT treated you so poorly in Feb. Bubba didn't tell me about that. I can't believe they wouldn't work with you. Some places just don't work with special diets.... I'd love to hear about your meal at Kona!

Love the update, Jen.

Thanks Kathy :goodvibes

That bun at LTT looks like a meal in itself. :eek:

It was! That's why I shoved it to the side and ate the important parts.

Mark LOVES the train and a trip is not complete without riding it at least once. Good to hear the Fantasyland station is open again.

Awww sounds like my Dad whenever we go. He just HAS to ride that thing. Have you gone on the train tour? I'm sure Mark would adore it.

I like how you got to do things "you wanted to do, when you wanted to do them" as you were solo.

It was awesome :thumbsup2

First of all, I have absolutely no idea how you ate all of that at Le Cellier. But I am very, very impressed. Sorry about what happened later that night, though.

I have no idea either. Must be one of many "special" attributes of mine :hippie:

And yes...the crowds! :scared1: We had a similar moment when we were there, were everything was nice and quiet and then all of a sudden Fantasyland was so packed you couldn't move. Made me very happy that I'm relatively experienced. I kept thinking about how rough that week must have been for newbies. :sad2:

I know! I can't imagine how newbies manage. I would be crying and frustrated or just think Disney is like that. All. the. time. And never want to come back again.

My DH has that Walt bio, I've been waiting for a year and a half for him to finish it so I can steal it!
Lunch, despite being a bit awkward, sounds good. Too bad about the rain, but at least you passed some time on the train!

A year and a half?! Wow, and I thought I was a slow ready :laughing: The rain didn't put a damper ;) on my spirits!

That Walt bio is fantastic. I bought it a few years ago and love it!

Jill in CO

I haven't had the chance to read it yet. I'm still trying to get through the Steve Jobs bio. Can't wait to get to Walt's bio though!

those train prints are awesome, if you dont mind me asking what do they run?

i have wanted to swipe one of those liberty tree tavern mugs on a few trips, but have refrained and been good.
:thumbsup2

those train prints are awesome, if you dont mind me asking what do they run?

They were relatively inexpensive at about $30-$35 each. The realpaintings though...that's where your money will run dry.

i have wanted to swipe one of those liberty tree tavern mugs on a few trips, but have refrained and been good.
:thumbsup2

Good man. The Disney police just might come after you if you do swipe one.

How much American history did you get in Canada? I got practically no Canadian history in school, except for the settlements, the Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812.

How much American history did you get in Canada? I got practically no Canadian history in school, except for the settlements, the Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812.

We did learn quite a bit. Of course, I can't remember all that much. I know we learned about the Civil War, War of 1812, settlements, etc. Probably a lot like you did. But it wasn't to the extent that we had to memorize all the Presidents or anything.

IMG_0073_2.jpg

After about half an hour of sitting by myself, another lady who was also travelling solo joined me. We ended up striking up a conversation to find out we both were visiting a family member who was working at Disney! It was pretty neat. Also ironic how we both ended up at MK on our solo days :laughing:

Below us, while we waited for the parade to start, some CMs had brought out jump rope, hoola hoops, and other toys for the kids to play with. We watched each kid jump rope, almost judging how good they were. It was rather fun!

Then we noticed a stray toddler walking in the middle of the street. No mother in sight. This toddler was bawling and yelling "Mommy! Mommy!" at the top of its lungs. We watched the scene unfold right below us. One of the CMs who was doing the jump rope came over to this terrified child and tried to pick her up. The poor thing was terrified and actually started running away from the CM, who was only trying to be helpful. Eventually the CM was able to pick her up. Not a moment later, the mother, WHO WAS STANDING RIGHT BY WHERE HER OTHER KIDS WERE JUMPING ROPE, came calmly over and took the traumatized toddler from the CMs arms like it was no big deal. Really? Like….REALLY?! It's like the mother didn't even care that her poor child may be traumatized for the rest of her life. I know for a fact when I was 2 and I got separated from my parents, I never recovered. It's true ya know! Having that sensation of knowing you are lost and separated from the one thing that is familiar is not very enjoyable.

I also can't believe the mother did not notice her child wandering off, screaming for her mom at the top of her lungs, and the CM running after her trying to help this child. I realize you're in Disney World where dreams come true but things aren't always lollipops and lemon drops.

In a way, I felt bad for the CM too. I wonder how many times CMs run into lost children?

Drama aside, the parade started not long after. First there was a marching band that came through.

IMG_0077_2.jpg

Then along came Mickey

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

It was pretty cool being at the same height as the people on the floats

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

When the parade ended, I sat a bit longer to allow the crowds to disperse a little.

IMG_0101.jpg

I really enjoyed this parade. Actually, I took a full video of it while taking pictures too. It was a bit of a juggling act but I got it done. So now, whenever I need a little magic to brighten my day, I watch this parade. I'm rather sad I've been missing out on it all these trips!

It had started to rain again so I decided to head over to the Contemporary to use their free Wi-fi and talk to DBF over Skype.

IMG_0103.jpg

The wi-fi was patchy at best. I found I had to stay in one spot in order not to lose the signal. The best spot was right beside Chef Mickey's. If I went into any of the stores, the signal would drop.

While I was talking to DBF, another scary child moment happened, which even I found a bit shocking. Almost to the point that I couldn't believe what I had just seen. A mother with her daughter walked by in a rush. Then a smaller boy of about 8 or 9 years old, trailing behind, crying rather loudly (with good reason it would seem) walks by……with what appeared to be blood running down his face from a large head wound on his head. :scared1: I could not believe my eyes. This child was seriously injured. Was it really blood? I'll never know. But the mother just seemed to be in a rush and did not care about her son. I could have read the situation wrong but that's what it looked like. I almost wanted to follow them to make sure they were actually going to take care of this poor kid. Turned out I didn't have to because another lady who saw the same thing I did ended up following this family down the escalator. It was a very hard to believe moment.

After my Contemporary adventure, I went back to the resort to change into something a little warmer since I knew it was going to get a bit cooler that night. We had plans to spend the night at MK and I didn't want to be cold. Driving back from MK went rather smoothly which made me confident in finding my way back to pick up Bubba from a backstage Epcot. Perhaps driving around Disney wasn't so hard after all........or was it?

Your parade photos are outstanding!! Now I really want to go back soon...

I have also seen lots of "pathetic parenting" moments in the parks. I think parents get too rushed and busy and overwhelmed.

The worst story I heard about (can't remember if it was on disboards or from another source) was about parents whose baby fell asleep in the stroller - so they parked the stroller, covered the baby with a blanket, and went on the ride without the baby!! Of course the baby woke up and started to cry and was discovered by a cast member. Can you imagine??

Teresa

Poor kids and poor parents, too. One thing I've learned since parenting toddlers is that it's actually much harder than it looks.

I love that perspective on the parade! I don't think I've ever seen any pictures of the parade from up high like that, but it's really cool!

Yikes! Two scary parenting moments in one day? I've seen kids who were lost, but I've always seen terrified parents running around looking for those ones. I understand things happen and you get separated, but I'd be among the panicking, not the casual about it!

Your parade pics are awesome! I know where I'm camping out to watch the parade next time!

Granted, our kids were probably a little older than the toddler you saw, but when we went to DisneyWorld when they were younger we would drill-into them what they should do if they ever got separated from us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter