• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Salute To All Things Disney, But Mostly Food - A Feb 15 Dining Report - That's a Wrap 7/18

Thought I would share a quick photo of our avocado margarita replica we tried last night. We had some friends over for some early cinco de mayo fun and what better than margaritas to accompany.

I let my own personal chef try and figure this out as mixing drinks is generally deadly when Im the bartender (aka they are all alcohol, no mixer) This was pretty close to the original, but definitely missing that yummy hibiscus salt. Gonna have to try and find some of that online.

View attachment 90931

Looks great. Did you find a recipe online that you can share?

If you have a Williams+Sonoma nearby they should have that salt for you or a Penzey's Spice would as well.

My husband won't drink my mixed drinks as they are deadly as well ;)

Glad it worked out well for you!

Thanks for the tip. I think we have a Williams & Sonoma at our closest mall. Will have to check that out.

I have not tried Sleepy Hollow because every time we stop by there I talk myself out of it. I can't wrap my head around a waffle sandwich but your description and pictures make me rethink myself! Casey did look like she was in heaven with the skoolbread! She looked like she was having a great time and there is no shame is coaxing, bribing or forcing our children to go on rides! :D

You should definitely give the sandwich a whirl. Try the breakfast one first. Nutella and fruit is a good gateway drug ; )

And thanks for the reinforcement on my lovely ride taunting procedures. Definitely no shame in my game :-)

Really like the look of those waffle sandwiches, need to try those this year
They are definitely worth trying. Delish!

Thanks Kari for your San Angel review. I've haven't eaten there in several years, but have it in my plans for our October trip. I can't say I've ever had a "wow" meal there, but its always been good and I love the setting. You've got me thinking of trying the Avocado Margarita. I've never been a big fan of avocado but everyone here seems to love that drink. I recently tried a dish at our local Italian restaurant that had artichoke solely based on your raving about them. I thought I didn't like artichoke but evidently I do. See your dining reviews are changing palettes and lives.:)
I completely agree Rachel. Not too much wow or craveable, but its a solid and enjoyable place to visit. There really isn't a ton of avocado flavor in the margarita, so you should give it a try.

Glad you enjoyed the artichokes! You can just call me the artichoke whisperer, saving lives one taste bud at a time :rotfl:

I know this is how i'm going to be, I just know it! I just can't stand there knowing that DS has been on something that he's enjoyed and now he's scared cause he doesn't remember. Yep, i'm going to be that pushy parent for sure. #BadMamaDontCare
We can be in the bad mama club together.

What?! No donuts, pancakes, waffles, french toast?!?!?!?!? :faint::faint: Or do you mean candy items.
I know, blasphemy right ; ) I'm really not a big breakfast eater at all and sweets just don't sit well with me that early.

I was going to say, this is probably the 2nd or 3rd photo i've seen of you. It's the same here pretty much. DH doesn't like holding the camera because, "he wants to be free of stuff" (but I hold his da** wallet in my purse!) so i'm not in many photos either, unless I push the camera into his hands.
I generally detest photos of me, so our camera is full of pretty much nothing but Casey and food.

I haven't tried the Avocado but plan on it next time. Have had the Jalapeno, Blood Orange, Classic and Cucumber though!
Man, you are moving your way through the margaritas. I've tried the blood orange and then as soon as I found the avocado I haven't been able to move past it.

Can I be invited to your next party please?
You're invited anytime!!!

Hi Kari. I enjoyed your review of San Angel Inn. Your reaction to those eye-rollers next to you was perfect. They obviously have bigger problems. I finally got the chance to try the avocado margarita! It was not exactly what I expected but really good. It was very melony and I was surprised that the avocado just mainly added texture. Thanks for sharing your homemade version and the recipe you used. :goodvibes

I am LOVING your trip report! and loving the "wine/dessert/bed" trend. we have pizza & wine in bed nites on occasion and it is heaven!
I LOVE the margaritas at San Angel. I am partial to the cucumber one. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Cant wait to read more! :banana:

Hi Kari. I enjoyed your review of San Angel Inn. Your reaction to those eye-rollers next to you was perfect. They obviously have bigger problems. I finally got the chance to try the avocado margarita! It was not exactly what I expected but really good. It was very melony and I was surprised that the avocado just mainly added texture. Thanks for sharing your homemade version and the recipe you used. :goodvibes
Yeah the melon flavor was unexpected for me the first time too. Of course I use the presence of avocado and melon to justify that it is healthy for me ; )

I am LOVING your trip report! and loving the "wine/dessert/bed" trend. we have pizza & wine in bed nites on occasion and it is heaven!
I LOVE the margaritas at San Angel. I am partial to the cucumber one. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Cant wait to read more! :banana:
Thank you so much. Unfortunately for us wine/dessert/bed is not just a vacation thing and a trend we do too much at home too (last night was peach cobbler and a nice french bordeaux, it was just like we were back at WL). Now pizza and bed we have not done, but I like the way it sounds. And of course Casey would love it (sans the wine of course)

Today was a bit of a bitter sweet morning as we were leaving our beloved WL. We elected to stay the last two nights at another resort to "save money." When you see what that resort was you'll likely question my math skills ; )

So after we got all packed up, Casey voiced her extreme distaste for leaving and requested to at least take her "perfect' pillow with her. After a bit of coaxing and the promise of a parade later, we took our luggage to bell services.

At this point, Jason did something a bit unexpected and requested a proper sit down breakfast. While I can do without breakfast on most days, Jason likes a good one every now and again and today was one of those days. I on the other hand like a good bloody mary, so I obliged. We tried to get into Whispering Canyon again, but they said the wait was about 30 minutes. So to the Disney app I went and we were able to score a reservation at Kona in about 45 minutes. Plenty of time to get to the Poly, right?

Of course the answer is wrong. Despite a quick boat ride to MK to transfer to the monorail, we got stuck on the ladder at the Contemporary. They announced there was a maintenance issue with the train in front of us, so it was at least 20 minutes before we finally got going. We ended up about 10 minutes late for the ADR, which apparently wasn't an issue as we had another 20 minutes to wait after that.

Finally seated, I was quick to order this little beauty.

Hello Gorgeous! Despite not being listed on the menu they did have this little gem of a Bloody Mary to offer me. As bloody mary's go this was pretty standard fare, but it had a good spice to it which I love. And it was only $7.25 which I thought was a relative steal. So much in fact that I ordered 2 ; ) Gotta get those veggies in for breakfast, it is the most important meal of the day after all.

Jason elected to skip the boozy breakfast and instead ordered the French press Kona Coffee.

Given my two bloody mary's I thought it wise to try this too and it was quite good. I drink coffee primarily for caffeine and I'm not a huge of in general, but this had a great rich flavor.

For our eats, Casey requested "OoooooooaTTTTTMeeeeeeeeeel" as she says it, aka Oatmeal for the rest of us. Having no interest in this myself, she got a rare meal to herself at Kona.

This is the kids oatmeal w/cranberries, t
urkey bacon and fruit salad. This was right up her alley as she could add cranberries, milk,and brown sugar to her hearts content. She proclaimed it "good" (gonna have to work on her food review skills) and ate all her bacon and most of the oatmeal, so it must have been.

Forgot to mention this was our first visit to Kona and while my heart wanted to try the macadamia nut pancakes or tonga toast, my stomach really doesn't like sweet things in the morning. Alcohol of course is just fine, just need to stay away from that pesky sugar ; ) Being a huge fan of poached eggs and as I'm sure you all know by now - arugula - I ordered The Samoan...

Poached Eggs with Hollandaise served over Smoked Pulled Pork Hash. OMG, this was absolutely amazing. Like praying to the Polynesian tiki gods kinda good. The pork was smokey and tender and instead of a traditional english muffin it had some toasted bread mixed in with the hash. My egg was cooked to perfection and the ooey, gooey runny yoke was the perfect compliment to the pork . The arugula added good crunch and peppery flavor, but of course there is never enough to appease my arugula needs. My only "complaint" which isn't really even one would be the hollandaise. It was good, but really didn't add much flavor wise. For the calories that I can only fathom butter and egg yolk laden sauce brings to the table, I'd probably order it on the side next time.

Jason had a hard time deciding on something, so when in doubt get it all.

Meet the Big Kahuna which comes with French Toast, Pancakes topped with Pineapple Sauce and Macadamia Nut Butter, Eggs, Home-fried Potatoes, Ham, Bacon, and Sausage. Note the fork in the picture, this man had breakfast on the mind and couldn't even wait for me to take the picture before trying to dig in. The french toast was nothing special, but good. The pancakes on the other hand were delicious. The pineapple sauce was nice, but the macadamia nut butter was where it was at. I didn't try the rest, but given that he cleared his plate I"m gonna presume he enjoyed.

All in all, Kona was a great experience. We'll be staying at the Poly on our next trip and no doubt there will be more Bloody Mary's and Samoan's in our future. With our tables in wonderland card we saved $8.75 (aka a free bloody mary).

From the Poly we tried to take the monorail to MK, but it was shut down. So we navigated through all the construction to the boat. Upon entering MK, we soon saw that something was different. Very different. THE HUB WAS OPEN

They day before it was all still boarded up, so we were surprised to see they'd taken down the walls overnight and unleashed the grass. Jason was beside himself and this was the only way he knew how to celebrate.

Only in disney can grass take a man down.

That's where I'll end it for today. Up next who needs lunch when we can just snack our way through MK?

Hilarious photo on the grass!! Your breakfasts look awesome...I think I would want the ooooooatmeal too!! And that coffee!! Looking forward to seeing where you ended up next!

Now that I've seen a pic of the Samoan it has won me over......Oh my goodness, it looks delicious! I adore hollandaise when it is really lemony. Requesting it on the side would be a great option although I usually request an extra pitcher of it to dip my breakfast potatoes in. Calories don't count at Disney, right?

That's a good looking bloody mary and not a bad price at all. Casey's oatmeal looks great. I don't even like oatmeal but I would try that. OMG! That Samoan has gone to the top of my list of things to try for my next trip. Boy does that look good!

I've been thinking about trying the Samoan at Kona & this has me sold! And I always enjoy a well made Bloody Mary. Good Stuff! :thumbsup2

Love Kona's breakfast. I used to always get the big Kahuna but just stick with macadamia pineapple pancakes now since they're the best. But your Samoan is really tempting me. It looks so yummy!

Absolutely drooling over the Kona breakfast. I have been dying to eat there! Definitely in November when we stay at the Poly. The pulled pork eggs look so so so good!

you are a good food reviewer...thanks so much for great photos and reviews...looks amazing

Love the Kona breakfast! I'm hoping my fiance will get the Big Kahuna when we are there so I can try the pancakes :) I've already had my heart set on Tonga Toast, so pancakes are out :P

I have a WCC breakfast reservation and I am debating with myself about whether or not to change it to Kona. Thoughts? It's on the day we are leaving WDW, so no park plans that day, just Downtown after for a few hours to waste time while we wait to go back to the airport for our 7:00 p.m. flight out.

Hilarious photo on the grass!! Your breakfasts look awesome...I think I would want the ooooooatmeal too!! And that coffee!! Looking forward to seeing where you ended up next!
I didn't taste it, but the oatmeal certainly looked good. You know thats a mark of a good restaurant when even the basics get extra care and attention.

Now that I've seen a pic of the Samoan it has won me over......Oh my goodness, it looks delicious! I adore hollandaise when it is really lemony. Requesting it on the side would be a great option although I usually request an extra pitcher of it to dip my breakfast potatoes in. Calories don't count at Disney, right?
Calories definitely don't count at disney, so hollandaise on everything ; )

Right back at ya my NOVA sister ; )

That's a good looking bloody mary and not a bad price at all. Casey's oatmeal looks great. I don't even like oatmeal but I would try that. OMG! That Samoan has gone to the top of my list of things to try for my next trip. Boy does that look good!
It was a darn good bloody mary. So good that after writing about it, I decided I needed to treat myself to a little early morning wake up treat.

Definitely try the Samoan. It was even better than it looked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter