A Salute To All Things Disney, But Mostly Food - A Feb 15 Dining Report - That's a Wrap 7/18

Love the AKL! We once booked a standard room and were surprised with a nice savannah view. They seem to do that a lot over there. If only they would upgrade us for free their CL :rotfl2: Jiko looks incredible, we had a bad experience there about 5 years ago and I really need to give it another try. The soup looks and sounds like heaven in a bowl. You know zebra dombs are kind of a love hate dessert for me, I like them but only can have a bite of one.
I had zero expectations for our AKL room so the savannah was an amazing surprise. Though I agree, I'd trade the animals for free vino in the club any day. You should definitely give Jiko a try. We've never had a bad experience there and each time we go, it seems to improve over what was already a great meal.

Maybe I went wrong with the zebra domes by taking more than one bite ; )

You just got me SUPER pumped for our first dinner at Jiko!
So glad you are going. Hope you enjoy as much as we did and of course report back to us all!

Everything looks delicious. Definitely some interesting flavors going on at Jiko. Yay for a savannah view and bunk beds!
Hey Ashley. I love the flavors at Jiko. I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I think they excel at combining accessible food with new flavor profiles. And of course I'm a sucker for anything I can't get back home.

I just love Jiko. It's just so good! Glad you enjoyed it!
High five for Jiko fans in the DIS house

Oh, that's kind of cool. I wonder how often they need to use the people pens. Or if they could use them in the even of unruly guest behavior.
If they were for unruly guests, Jason and I would have ended up there no question ; )

This one has been on my list for awhile but I haven't booked it because getting there seems like such a pain. Maybe I should stay at AKL just to go the restaurants.

Everything you got at Jiko looks amazing. Sounds like you had a great night.
It is definitely far out there. I've actually thought about going to AKL for a few days at the end or beginning of the trip and just enjoying the resort. It really is a destination unto itself.

Wow Kari, your meal at Jiko was near perfection! Must go back and try that soup.

Gotta say I was disappointed with the Zebra Domes, but they sure do look pretty.
Hey Rachel, we definitely had a meal for the disney record books. I'm almost fearful to go back because now the bar is so high. Seems like the consensus is just say no to zebra domes. How created this hype?

I'm finally caught up! I really enjoyed your first report, and I am loving this one, too.

And I am totally down with the wine and dessert in bed on vacation. That's the way to do Disney.
Thanks so much, glad you are enjoying. I know I enjoyed eating it all ; )

Wine and dessert is a wondrous thing, but not just for vacation. Now is the time I confess I am typing this in bed, drinking wine, and eating a dark chocolate brownie with a sweet chipotle icing. And I wonder why I never lose weight :-)

For some reason, Disney Math will always work out in the end :teacher: But the only people that will understand Disney equations is DIS'ers. Not those non-Disney people:snooty:
No one in my life,but thankfully my husband, understands my disney obsession or questionable math skills. I mean, who would think an annual pass wasn't an economical decision?

Love this shot!
It is a great one. Jason has some great photography skills. Next time I do a report I'll showcase that a bit more, other than all my food pics.
Ooh this looks nice. Also I enjoy saying 'Chaklaka'
Who doesn't love saying Chaklaka? I'm sure you are too young for this, but as soon as I read that word on the menu it made it remember the land of the lost from when i was a kid and the character Chaka. Clearly nothing to do with AKL or Jiko, but Jason and I did some reminiscing during our meal. Gotta love horrible 80s tv
upload_2015-5-20_22-19-20.png
V&A's?! :hyper: I'm SO looking forward to reading about your experience here. THis is something DH and I have been wanting to do for a long time.
You and me both. Jason doesn't know we are doing it. Got ressies for our anniversary so it should be a fun surprise. We've always been hesitant to do it because we've eaten at some world renowned restaurants and were afraid to compare, but the more i read the more I know we'll love it. And of course you know I'll write all about it ; )

Just wanted to share with everyone that we are going to disney NEXT MONTH!!!!! Jason commented a few weeks ago that September is too far away and a long weekend in disney should be in order. Of course that is all the fuel I needed to put the wheels in motion. Plan is to surprise Jason for Father's day and pick him up at work for a whirlwind few days in the world. Since we have annual passes, we don't need to worry about tickets and I was able to score a pretty good AP rate at POFQ (our first time there if anyone has any hints or suggestions as beignets is all that is on my list). Hopefully I can keep the surprise on the down low for a few more weeks.

From a food perspective, I'm doing a very un me thing and making a few ADRs. We typically go during the low season so I'm not sure what to expect with the summer crowds. Either way my plan is to enjoy what time lets us do, chill with some drinks in my hand, and eat some of that amazing disney food we love so much.

Just wanted to share with everyone that we are going to disney NEXT MONTH!!!!! Jason commented a few weeks ago that September is too far away and a long weekend in disney should be in order. Of course that is all the fuel I needed to put the wheels in motion. Plan is to surprise Jason for Father's day and pick him up at work for a whirlwind few days in the world. Since we have annual passes, we don't need to worry about tickets and I was able to score a pretty good AP rate at POFQ (our first time there if anyone has any hints or suggestions as beignets is all that is on my list). Hopefully I can keep the surprise on the down low for a few more weeks.

From a food perspective, I'm doing a very un me thing and making a few ADRs. We typically go during the low season so I'm not sure what to expect with the summer crowds. Either way my plan is to enjoy what time lets us do, chill with some drinks in my hand, and eat some of that amazing disney food we love so much.

How exciting! I am sure you will have a great trip!

Finally had a chance to get caught up on this! I left off a long time ago...

So happy you stayed at AKL and got to experience that resort. I love it! We had a fab time there in April (just two nights, and our first we arrived well after midnight), and we got the text direct to room. It was awesome, especially coming in that late, to be able to walk right past the desk and up to our room. We had no issues with our magic bands, either, I'm glad to say. I, too, think of AKL as "saving money." :rotfl2:And then, since I'm "saving money" already, I talk myself into splurging for the CL, which at AKL ensures you a savannah view, so really the club level is basically free, compared to the cost of a standard savannah view room...:rolleyes1

I was cracking up about that couple at San Angel Inn. Sounds like they were having a really bad day...probably engaged in a pretty big fight. DP absolutely loves that shrimp dish that you had there.

Casey is too cute, and it looks like you all just have the greatest time together on your WDW vacations. Labor Day will be here before you know it. We only managed to squeeze our 5 night trip in amongst the longest saga of house drama ever, and now it will be a year before we can go back. Since we missed last year completely (all that darned wedding planning and saving), it felt long overdue to take our trip. Time goes so fast...hoping we can make it annually every spring from now until we need wheel chairs...and maybe even then, too. ;)

Enjoying all the reviews...love that macadamia nut butter at Kona. :thumbsup2

Hey nevermind! I just caught on that you are going next month! How awesome! Have a great time...I love the boats from PO to DTD. Maybe one of your ADRs will be there.

Your report may be my most favorite ... so I definitely expect another report from your short surprise weekend in June!!!

Ha! Land of the Lost. Love it.

Clearly, I'm not too young to know what you mean!

Woot wooooooot another trip! Good for you!

We stayed at POFQ in March. Really liked the buses, it was easy to get to the bus stop, there was only one, and the buses came frequently. It was nice getting the boat to DTD as well. We stayed in building 4 and could see the bus stop through the trees from outside of our room.

How exciting! Yay!

You need to try the collards at FQ. They are really delicious! I think you'll like FQ. It's small and little one will love the pool and theming!

Who doesn't love saying Chaklaka? I'm sure you are too young for this, but as soon as I read that word on the menu it made it remember the land of the lost from when i was a kid and the character Chaka. Clearly nothing to do with AKL or Jiko, but Jason and I did some reminiscing during our meal. Gotta love horrible 80s tv
upload_2015-5-20_22-19-20-png.98257

YES! Totally forgot about this show! Also, I thought we were the same age?:confused3 Why you trying to make me feel all old :sad:

You and me both. Jason doesn't know we are doing it. Got ressies for our anniversary so it should be a fun surprise. We've always been hesitant to do it because we've eaten at some world renowned restaurants and were afraid to compare, but the more i read the more I know we'll love it. And of course you know I'll write all about it ; )

He's going to love it!

Super jealous. But very excited for you! The only moderate resort i've ever stayed in is CSR so no help there. But beignets?! Oh that's just a must. :cool1:

How exciting! I am sure you will have a great trip!
Thanks!!!!! So excited
That's exciting news, Kari! :cheer2: :banana:

I can't wait to hear about it. :goodvibes
Ya know I'll write all about it!
Finally had a chance to get caught up on this! I left off a long time ago...

So happy you stayed at AKL and got to experience that resort. I love it! We had a fab time there in April (just two nights, and our first we arrived well after midnight), and we got the text direct to room. It was awesome, especially coming in that late, to be able to walk right past the desk and up to our room. We had no issues with our magic bands, either, I'm glad to say. I, too, think of AKL as "saving money." :rotfl2:And then, since I'm "saving money" already, I talk myself into splurging for the CL, which at AKL ensures you a savannah view, so really the club level is basically free, compared to the cost of a standard savannah view room...:rolleyes1

I was cracking up about that couple at San Angel Inn. Sounds like they were having a really bad day...probably engaged in a pretty big fight. DP absolutely loves that shrimp dish that you had there.

Casey is too cute, and it looks like you all just have the greatest time together on your WDW vacations. Labor Day will be here before you know it. We only managed to squeeze our 5 night trip in amongst the longest saga of house drama ever, and now it will be a year before we can go back. Since we missed last year completely (all that darned wedding planning and saving), it felt long overdue to take our trip. Time goes so fast...hoping we can make it annually every spring from now until we need wheel chairs...and maybe even then, too. ;)

Enjoying all the reviews...love that macadamia nut butter at Kona. :thumbsup2
I love the way your disney math works. I'll have to see if I can do some "value" club level myself next trip. Are we gonna get to hear about yours?

That couple was just miserable. If you're miserable in real life, aint' disney gonna fix that ; )

Hopefully your house drama is on the upswing and since it's almost summer, spring is only 2 more seasons away ; ) Will you all get to DL in between?

Your report may be my most favorite ... so I definitely expect another report from your short surprise weekend in June!!!
Ahh, thanks so much. Ya know another trip report will be coming. Between disney and food I just can't help myself

Ha! Land of the Lost. Love it.

Clearly, I'm not too young to know what you mean!
You and me both. That was the best/worst show of my childhood. I had no idea what its so bad its good meant then, but clearly Land of the Lost personifies it

Woot wooooooot another trip! Good for you!

We stayed at POFQ in March. Really liked the buses, it was easy to get to the bus stop, there was only one, and the buses came frequently. It was nice getting the boat to DTD as well. We stayed in building 4 and could see the bus stop through the trees from outside of our room.
Thanks for the info. I was torn between POR, POFQ, and Coronado but ultimately chose POFQ for the single bus stop. Good to hear they are frequent. Definitely planning on a DTD stop too. I'm not much of a shopper so I generally skip it, but think we'll take the opportunity to check things out.

How exciting! Yay!

You need to try the collards at FQ. They are really delicious! I think you'll like FQ. It's small and little one will love the pool and theming!
Mmmmm collard greens, one of my favorites. Thanks for the tip.

YES! Totally forgot about this show! Also, I thought we were the same age?:confused3 Why you trying to make me feel all old :sad:
I think we have kids not too far off in age, but if I'm gauging your pictures right I"m thinking I'm several years north of you. There's a 4 in my age and it doesn't start with a 3 ; )

Super jealous. But very excited for you! The only moderate resort i've ever stayed in is CSR so no help there. But beignets?! Oh that's just a must.
This will be our first moderate. Done the values a few times, but with the annual pass rate they values and moderates weren't too far off. Contemplated CSR but ultimately didn't want to deal with multiple bus stops. And of course beignets ; ) Been a few years since I've been down to NOLA so I can't wait!

Yay!! So excited for you...another trip!!!
Thanks!

Yea, glad you're heading back sooner than you thought. We stayed at PoFq when my youngest was about the same age as Casey. It's pretty small so that was it nice and my little girl enjoyed the pool. We liked the boat to Downtown Disney. Maybe you can try more places to eat there. And I'm hopeful you'll head over to Boatwrights. We are booked at POR for October and would like to try it.

How the heck did I miss that you have this going on? BAD BILLIE!!!! :eek: I'm off to eat vicariously through your thread, but before I do...

Just wanted to share with everyone that we are going to disney NEXT MONTH!!!!! Jason commented a few weeks ago that September is too far away and a long weekend in disney should be in order. Of course that is all the fuel I needed to put the wheels in motion. Plan is to surprise Jason for Father's day and pick him up at work for a whirlwind few days in the world.
I love this! Quick and dirty weekend last-minute weekend trips are AWESOME! And yes, I say that because I had one in April and it was great! ::yes::

Since we have annual passes, we don't need to worry about tickets and I was able to score a pretty good AP rate at POFQ (our first time there if anyone has any hints or suggestions as beignets is all that is on my list).
Oh, you're staying at POFQ! I love it! Love love love! :lovestruc

From a food perspective, I'm doing a very un me thing and making a few ADRs.
.... :faint:

We typically go during the low season so I'm not sure what to expect with the summer crowds. Either way my plan is to enjoy what time lets us do, chill with some drinks in my hand, and eat some of that amazing disney food we love so much.
And this is why we're friends. :hug:

AKL looks like a great place to stay. We went over there one day to look around. It reminded me of the WL, probably because it had the same architect. A savannah view would be the only way to go. :)

Your meal at Jiko's looks v ery delicious, especially that carrot soup. I would be brave enough to try that one. :)

AP math is funny. I figure that with all the discounts we have gotten for resort rooms, meals and purchases, the price of the AP is almost free. ;) Of course, you have to go to Disney multiple times in order to make the AP almost free - see - AP math. :rolleyes1

Just tonight DH said that he is ready to go back to Disney. I reminded him that we were there exactly one month ago. I think it would be fun to take a long weekend and stay at POFQ. I would be taking the boat to DTD for some meals, since I don't like to shop but I do like their restaurants over there.

I love your reviews! Flying Fish looks really good. As a big seafood fan, that is a place I need to go try. And hooray for another Disney trip coming up soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter