• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A sad story, Carnival cruise and bye bye Wonder in 2005 - Long

disneyange

Earning My Ears
Ok...

Sadness has descended on our house. We returned from our first Disney cruise (Oct 17 - Wonder). We all loved it! We booked onboard for our next cruise in October 2005. Well, we've received notice that our DD's dance team has been invited to dance in Nassau in July 05. Unfortunately, the dance team will be sailing on Carnival's Fantasy (yes, the one that failed the inspection recently). The dance instructors insist that the girls and their families must travel as a group in order to participate. We can't swing this dance cruise and the Disney cruise and her dance team's spring trip to NYC so I just got off the phone cancelling our Disney cruise. :( I know this is a Disney board, but I would appreciate any information on Carnival that anyone can offer. Also, any direction to send me in for a similar board where I can research this upcoming trip. I know a vacation is a vacation, but we really were looking so forward to being back onboard the Wonder. It truly was even better than everyone made it sound.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Ang

Much sympathy from this Disney-cruising family...

I found a dirt-cheap last-minute cruise last December on the Carnival Destiny -- southern Caribbean route out of San Juan. It was fine, and we had a good time, but it certainly wasn't the Wonder or Magic!! I think the only area in which I found the Destiny superior was the storage space in our cabin.

I might try another cruise line someday, but I'm not in any hurry. We're looking forward to the Eastbound Panama Canal trip next August.

Karen

Wonder 11/01
Magic 3/02
Magic 11/02
Carnival Destiny 12/03
Magic on the calendar for 8/05

Thanks to all for the replies and thanks to Seaspray for the link to the Carnival message board! I know we will have a good time and I know we will be back on DCL in 2006. It's all in the positive attitude. Thanks again!

I just returned off the Fantasy last month, feel free to PM or email me for any questions you might have. I will be more then happy to answer all of them for you.

So you don't lose you onboard credits/discounts, could you transfer your DCL booking to the following year?

Of course if it doesn't work out economically or feasibly you can always cancel later.

Jim

I sailed on the Victory 3 years ago. The cruise was fine. The food was really good. Overall I had a really good time.

Haven't sailed w/ Disney yet -not until April.

We are doing the 3-day Wonder on 12/16, getting off the boat and driving to Tampa to sail on the Carnival Inspiration 5-day Western Carribean. We are doing both because my 25 year old wanted to sail Carnival and we wanted to give Disney a try. So we are sort of doing back to backs :-) And I'm patiently waiting for my docs for both - I head the Carnival docs are in the mail - yeah!

I've only sailed Royal Caribbean but will have a good overview when I get back so will write up a comparative review in early Jan. and post to these boards. We have booked Princess for an Alaska cruise in June so can offer a comparison of that also.

After June, we'll have a pretty good feel for all of the different cruiselines and we'll know which is our favorite though I suspect each will offer something different that we like (and am hoping that will be the case).

We've sailed the Fantasy TWICE. We didn't have kids either time, but the cruise was great! The food was great, the service was great. It just had (well, about a year ago) had a facelift and it really is nice. Not as neon as when we sailed her the first time. I don't think you'll be dissapointed in her. Well, maybe after a disney cruise, but it's still nice. I only other cruise I've cruised on is RCCI's Sovereign of the Seas and we liked the Fantasy better. Feel free to PM me or email me with any questions.
beckzay@msn.com

You'll be fine! Carnival food is surprisingly good (dare I say it - better than on Disney), the boats are beautiful in an over-the-top way (as opposed to Disney's "classic elegance"), and there's non-stop activities. A bit more geared to the 21-49 age group, but for a Nassau cruise you'll have a blast. Look forward to slightly more adult activities (e.g., gambling, partying to the wee hours, etc.) and if it's just DD with her dance troop she'll be fine too.

Why not convince them to do it on DCL?

I am looking a brochure from Straight A Tours which is hosting the Dance team competition. I see that the the Fantasy is listed and so is DCL!!!!!

The Fantasy is $489 and DCL is $539 both 3 nights to the Bahamas. No airfare.

We get alot of these since dh and I are band directors. I am going to read more on this. I'll let you know asap.

Well, I'm looking at this brochure for this company. The cover clearly states 2005 Dance, Drill, & Cheer. The 1st page states 2005 Dance and Dril at Sea Nationals. It has all kinds of cruises and trips which all include some kind of competition. It doesn't list any particular dates.

It is very clear on the first page that the Fantasy has a competition. The opposite page list the prices for the Fantasy, DCL and Sovereign ships.

It sounds like it might be worth asking a few questions!!!!

Good luck!!!

Just a warning : Our local dance troop sailed on a cruise last year an weren't able to dance because the stage they were given was too small. Now I am not sure which line but I thought it was DCL.

Originally posted by disneyange
Ok...

Sadness has descended on our house. We returned from our first Disney cruise (Oct 17 - Wonder). We all loved it! We booked onboard for our next cruise in October 2005. Well, we've received notice that our DD's dance team has been invited to dance in Nassau in July 05. Unfortunately, the dance team will be sailing on Carnival's Fantasy (yes, the one that failed the inspection recently). The dance instructors insist that the girls and their families must travel as a group in order to participate. We can't swing this dance cruise and the Disney cruise and her dance team's spring trip to NYC so I just got off the phone cancelling our Disney cruise. :( I know this is a Disney board, but I would appreciate any information on Carnival that anyone can offer. Also, any direction to send me in for a similar board where I can research this upcoming trip. I know a vacation is a vacation, but we really were looking so forward to being back onboard the Wonder. It truly was even better than everyone made it sound.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Ang
What a great opportunity for your girl! That's wonderful. Perhaps you can just reschedule your next year's DC for the year after (2006) so that you can keep your onboard credit! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter