• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A sad prioritization of our news. Missing child

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
A little boy from our area has been missing since last week. His mother pulled him out of school Wednesday and then took him to the Brookfield Zoo, Key Lime Cove and was last seen when they checked out of the Kalahari in the Wisconsin Dells on Friday. His mother's body was found on Saturday in a hotel in Rockford, IL but the boy is still missing.

But, this story only gets a very short blurb on the Chicago news stations buried in the middle of the broadcast while Oprah taping her last shows gets top priority (over 10 mins worth) followed by the Arnold saga.

If you've seen this little boy, please contact the authorities.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/5399469-417/police-still-searching-for-missing-aurora-boy.html

A little boy from our area has been missing since last week. His mother pulled him out of school Wednesday and then took him to the Brookfield Zoo, Key Lime Cove and was last seen when they checked out of the Kalahari in the Wisconsin Dells on Friday. His mother's body was found on Saturday in a hotel in Rockford, IL but the boy is still missing.

But, this story only gets a very short blurb on the Chicago news stations buried in the middle of the broadcast while Oprah taping her last shows gets top priority (over 10 mins worth) followed by the Arnold saga.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/5399469-417/police-still-searching-for-missing-aurora-boy.html

Well we wouldn't want to mess with Queen Oprah. It is sad, really sad.

I agree, you just get snippets of info. If he is actually with someone *safe* why haven't they come foreward?

I saw that buried in the middle of the Tribune. Very scary, his poor dad! I hope they find him soon. It sounded like in her suicide note she said he was safe and that she'd left him with someone????

I hope they find the boy alive and unhurt! :( It doesn't look good at all. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. That poor little guy. :sad1: I'm sorry to read about his mother. I scanned the article, did it say how she died? Terrible situation all the way around.

I saw that buried in the middle of the Tribune. Very scary, his poor dad! I hope they find him soon. It sounded like in her suicide note she said he was safe and that she'd left him with someone????

:( I hope he is safe.

Don't get me started on how missing kids are handled by the media. If the kid doesn't fit in a certain box, you will never hear about them.

I hope they find the boy alive and unhurt! :( It doesn't look good at all. I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. That poor little guy. :sad1: I'm sorry to read about his mother. I scanned the article, did it say how she died? Terrible situation all the way around.

she committed suicide and was found in a hotel room in Rockford. Now that I analyze it, the note she left said he was safe, not necessarily that he was with someone. At least from what the media is releasing.

she committed suicide and was found in a hotel room in Rockford. Now that I analyze it, the note she left said he was safe, not necessarily that he was with someone. At least from what the media is releasing.

Thanks. So sad.

I am in CT, and I saw this story yesterday on one of the news channels while I was at the gym yesterday. So it IS getting some play on the news. Perhaps there is a reason why it isn't getting first page type coverage (maybe the police are working some angle that they'd rather not have it be a headline type story)

I scanned the article, did it say how she died? Terrible situation all the way around.

They assume it was a suicide because her wrists were slit and they found a note.:sad1:

I am in CT, and I saw this story yesterday on one of the news channels while I was at the gym yesterday. So it IS getting some play on the news. Perhaps there is a reason why it isn't getting first page type coverage (maybe the police are working some angle that they'd rather not have it be a headline type story)

It's getting some coverage but in the Chicago area where this boy is from, Oprah and Arnold apparently are a higher priority.

:sad1:
I learned of it just now thru this thread and subsequent link. So sad and scary.
Prayers that this missing child is found safe and sound. :grouphug:

Media Priority reflects Peoples priorities (clearly not all ours though:sad2:), whether we like to acknowledge it or not. Sad reflection Overall.

Another thread here just indicated that America's Most Wanted is being pushed off the air, talk about "Reality TV", "real" reality does not seem to work for people, they'd rather watch fantasy, UN/scripted Garbage "reality" tv (for the most part)
One would think that People/Society would applaud the dedicated, tireless efforts of John Walsh and Law enforcement to bring justice and some peace to families left in the wake of tragedy! Obviously not..:headache:

Sometimes Society is so darn disappointing to me :confused:
Hug your loved ones today!

That poor father. I hope they can find him and that she did leave him with someone safe.

When I was in college I worked in a preschool/daycare. One day a mom came and picked up her son from the 3's room early in the day which was unusual but no one really thought anything of it. Then dad showed up at the usual time to pick him up and had no idea mom had already taken him and he became frantic. We were all concerned but didn't know what to think. I think we all just figured she was leaving the dad and that was why she came and got her son.

The boy returned to school a few days later and we found out that mom had a gun in her purse when she picked him up and had driven around for quite some time and was intending to kill him and herself. Not sure how exactly it was resolved, if she changed her mind or was found before she had the chance. It was so horrible to think about what almost happened. Still sends shivers down my spine.

Is anyone surprised by this? The news stopped being about informing us of the important situations in the world in an unbiased fashion years ago. It is now 90% entertainment with 10% news thrown in. Between aiming for ratings and selling ad space that could interfered with giving an unbiased news report (you'd never talk about a negative story if the company in question was a big ad account) I find the vast majority of news to be a joke.

If you want actual news you have to go out and find it, it won't find you anymore.

That is very sad. And it certainly does show that the media's prioritizations are messed-up.

It's called tragedy overload Sorry, but lately we've have a weekly "tragedy" and what happens is that people become very desensitized by it. Very much like "natural disaster" overload.
The media knows this. whether we like it or not media is governed by ratings and sponsors who are in turned governed or influenced by the public.

We have a spat of children being abducted and killed and people are just getting compassion fatigue

I know I'm suffering from it. I don't even listen to the news anymore. I so sick of hearing day after day, minute after minute, non stop tragedy.

Why do you think the royal wedding was such a story?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter