A Report on the Polynesian Long

searlproudbottom

DIS Veteran
A Report on the Polynesian

We have been planning our trip to the World for the past two years. In that time I have read just about every topic on the resorts discussion page related to the Polynesian and have practically memorized the Tiki Mans Web Site. I feel I have an obligation to give an in depth report on my experience and personal feelings on this resort to help others make there stay as enjoyable as ours.

Our Trip Started Out with a Surprise

My first plan was to Surprise my Wife by staying at the Polynesian with concierge and a Lagoon view room, as this was her favorite resort. She had made our original reservations at the Contemporary to cut costs, which I later canceled. I Emailed Tiffany Town car and asked if they would help me with the surprise and they agreed. I had asked the driver to say that they were dropping us off at the Poly for security reasons and Disney would be giving us a ride to the Contemporary .We arrived at the Poly at 9:00 am. While our driver was unloading our luggage I hurried to the Bell Captain and let him in on the plan, He was happy to play along. He checked out our reservation and whispered that we would be staying in room 3508 and that our room was ready. Our luggage was loaded on a little Golf Cart and the Bellman gave us a tour of the grounds. I commented that this reminded me of Fantasy Island. When we reached the Hawaii Building the Whole Staff came outside to greet us. We were given flower Leigh’s as well as shell Leigh’s, We were asked to come down and enjoy the lounge after we settled in to our room. My Wife was truly surprised and we were off to Our Magical Vacation.

The Room

We arrived in our room #3508 on Thursday Oct. 17, the view was spectacular to say the least Cindy,s Castle was Directly across the lake with no obstructions. I could smell a very faint smell of smoke when I entered the room only because I was aware that these were smoking optional rooms and I was looking for it. I asked my wife if she could smell anything funny in the room, she said she couldn’t and she hates the smell of cigarette smoke. There was absolutely no smell of mold or mildew. The room was very clean, however it was in need of a rehab. There were a couple of small tears or burns in the carpet this made no difference to us. The room had a large dresser with lots of room in its drawers. Next to the television was a small refrigerator with a key lock. The closet was large with a small safe. The bathroom had a solid granite countertop with one sink and granite tiled tubback. It also had a built in hairdryer. Every morning except for Sunday the paper, USA Today, was at our door. I would give this room Five out of Five Stars.

The Concierge Lounge

I can’t say enough about this wonderful place. The lounge was a major part of our vacation. It opens at 7:oo am we stopped there no less than three times a day and sometimes five. As an early riser I would head down sometimes as early as 6:oo am. The Staff would always have the coffee ready first. If you needed something they would always do there best to try to accommodate you. The food was excellent and the desserts were even better. As we are not huge eaters there was more than enough to fill us up. Having the bottled water was very convenient to take to the parks. The Lounge also had four newspapers to choose from, the Orlando Sentinel, The New York Times, USA Today and the Wall Street Journal. For those of you who have asked, is concierge worth the extra money, I would say yes without a doubt. I think most of us who have stayed there would find it very difficult not to go back.

The Pool

The pool was nice, the only other pool we have to compare it to is the contemporary’s and to me they are pretty equal. The biggest downside was no hot tub. My eight year old thought it was the greatest. The water was warm, my guess is close to 84*. The pool was open up to midnight but the water slide closed at 10:pm. It was generally pretty crowded during the day but thinned out around 8:oo pm. Another Five out of Five Stars.

Transportation

The Transportation was awesome! We used the boats to and from the Magic Kingdom, we walked to the TTC and took the Monorail to Epcot and rode the buses in front of the ceremonial house to MGM, Animal Kingdom, and Blizzard Beach. We never waited longer than 20 minutes.

Summarize

Overall we have absolutely no complaints, the resort did not look at all worn and I think for being 31 years old it looked great. The Cm’s were friendly and they seemed to me as if they loved there jobs. We met a lot of really genuine people working at the Poly and became friends with a couple of them even exchanging addresses. We will definitely be staying there next year. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Searl Proudbottom
GrassValley, Ca.

Searl,

What a lovely vacation! I think the way the staff "played along" including your Tiffany driver was wonderful!

We are going to the Polynesian concierge in December and am always happy to see positive reports.

Thanks again!!!

Always nice to read positive things about our favorite resort. What a great surprise for your wife! Glad you all enjoyed!

Glad to hear you had a nice time. Yes you are right, once you stay it is hard to stay anywhere else!! We fell in love with Poly Concierge too, everything was so "magical". Nice report, thanks!

It's good to see the Polynesian passed such a difficult test! (living up to your expectations!) And I'm glad you had such a great time!

I surprised my wife with a concierge upgrade last year but I think you did it better. (Mine already knew we were staying at the Polynesian.)

Did you request any pm's from conceige ahead of time? If so was everything ok? :)

Thanks for the great post! It makes me even more excited about our trip!! Ive wanted to stay at the Poly ever since my first visit as a kid.

Kmermaid did you mean Priority Seating? If so, they did handle mine for me. The conceirge CM's are great.

Sorry!! I meant PS!! Thanks for all your replies about PS and the Poly conceige. That makes decision making easier about conceige or not. Last year we stayed at YC conceige and they weren't as helpful, though they did find a tennis pro for DH. But as for getting specific PS's they weren't so efficient. I didn't know if all the resort's conceige were like this.

Dear kmermaid

The Concierge Desk was wonderful. We made all of our reservations though Concierge, Mickey’s not so scary Halloween party, The Hoop de Do Review, The Fantastic Diner package, Dinner at the Rose and Crown, and the hard to get Breakfast at Cinderella Castle, One Morning I asked a concierge CM how they were able to make reservations for Cinderella’s breakfast easier than the public could, she told me that they have all the information entered in to there computer so when it turns seven o’clock all they have to do is hit enter. She also told me that it doesn’t always work, but they made ours reservation on the first try. Just another great benefit of Concierge. .If you do decide to attend Cindy’s Breakfast I would suggest requesting a Table by the window and a 8:05 seating time. We made our Reservations for 8:05 so when the Park opened at 9:00 we had beat the rush to fantasyland. Also we were in the Park and hour before it opened so it was so magical to be able to walk down main street practically by ourselves, We were able to take some great photos of main street and In front of the Castle with out a soul in sight. Hope you have as much fun as we did.

Searl

I am so glad you had a magical vacation. We love the Polynesian and their concierge also. I love to hear about others having a wonderful time there. Now I'm picturing that view of the castle... laying in bed watching it change colors.

Thanks for the review. We leave for WDW tomorrow, our first stay at the Poly. I'm glad you enjoyed it and had a nice trip.

We were just down the hall from you in room 3515. We really loved our stay there. I just couldn't get enough of the view. The staff were all wonderful. It really makes it hard to go back to work after a trip like that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter