A random what would you do?

CassieScraps

Mouseketeer
My dd has decided that instead of Disney World, she wants to go to Disneyland for graduation. She wants to bring a friend or friends.

So, if you were me, taking 2-4 teenage girls for a week, would you take your 5 year old as well?

I will be ditched the moment the get through the gates. I know this, and that's fine. The question is, do I want to wander around DL by myself for 4 days or do I want to spend some one on one time with my youngest.

I wouldn't ride any rides by myself. I do like shows and I like taking pictures and just people watching. Obviously, I could tag along with the big kids but I'm sure they would get tired of me after a while.

On the other hand ,4 days is a lot time alone with a 5 year old, lol.

So, what would you do?

I would take the 5 year old and have a wonderful time. Some of my fondest memories are of having one on one time with my younger daughter at DL and then DCA, too.

High school graduates will be on their own from the moment they leave the hotel room. Plan for fun-filled days making memories with the little one!:)

I agree with the PP. I think you would have a magical time with a 5 yr old. I would have loved to have the opportunity to have 4 days with my daughter at DL when she was 5. The first trip we went alone together was this January and she was 19. I loved every minute of it!

I would take the youngest. I surprised DD when she was 6 with a trip for just the two of us, DS was 2 so he didn't know the difference. We have the best memories from that trip, it was so special just the two of us. I love going as a family but I would jump at the chance to be alone with one of my kids.

I agree. Take the 5-year old. Get park hoppers so you can move at a slower pace and do her favorite attractions over and over. Take some time at DTD to walk around, maybe Build-a-Bear, get some pizza or have a fun meal at Rainforest Café. Spend some time at the hotel pool. Have some downtime in the afternoons, or leave the parks around dinnertime so she's not overly tired all day. If she's into characters, plan a character meal and get some great pictures. I think you would have a blast together! It would be way more fun than hanging around alone or trying to tag along with a group of teens.

Gosh yes take her! 4 days will fly by. If you're the kind of people who both need a little downtime/alone time, plan ahead to bring some activities for her to do in the hotel room or Disney movies for her to watch so you can have a bit of 'alone time'. You could also relax and people watch a bit while letting her run around in Toon Town and tire herself out.

There's also Pinnochio's Workshop available if you needed a little while to yourself!

Absolutely you should do it. Let her know ahead of time that you are excited about this special time with her. Treat like a princess. If she likes dress-up, take her to BBB. Let her choose what to do, what to eat, etc. You will both have a wonderful time, I am sure.

I agree with everyone else! Five is the perfect age to take a kid, and it will make your trip magical, seeing the magic through her eyes. This is coming from someone who is big on going places without the kids from time to time, too. Disneyland is absolutely perfect for you and your little one to make it a special trip. My best memories, as others have said, were with my 4-5 year olds at Disneyland! Your kids are very lucky to have you as a mom :)

I agree with the others and would take your 5 y/o. I think you will enjoy the park more and you both will have wonderful memories.
I would just plan on taking breaks every afternoon.

Jumping on the agree bandwagon, I think you would have the best time with your little. I'm a codependent traveler, I don't like to do it alone, so even having my dd4 with me makes my time much more fun and memorable.

I agree, take her. Some of my fondest memories were of park visits with my dd alone at that age.

I also agree. If you think 5 days in the park is too much, why not schedule a pool day for the 2 of you? If she doesn't swim yet, she can splash in a kiddie pool, and you can lounge!

I have a 5 year old and would adore one on one time at DLR with him. Having daughters, you might want to schedule a princess meal I bet all the girls would enjoy that together.

I to would say take the yougest, but even if you did not take her why would you not go on any rides? People talk about going on solo trips all the time and all seem to have lots of fun.

We did four days at DLR/DCA when my daughter was not-quite five (my avatar is from our last day of that trip), and it was awesome. She loved every moment of it. There were a couple of rides she was too little to ride, but not enough to make a significant difference in our experience. By all means take her!

Well, I can say that I would definitely NOT get bored by myself for 4 days at DLR, plus you would probably at least be meeting up with the older girls for dinners/shows. That said, if you can afford the extra expenses, I would agree with everyone else and bring the little one. I just took my DS7 on a 4-day trip in June and it was great. Like you, I was worried about it being just the two of us, but I was also looking forward to it because it would be such a special time for just us. I am the Disney geek in our family, DH goes along for the ride sometimes but doesn't really appreciate it like I do. For him, he needs a goal and crowds get to be too much. Not me, I can just do whatever and if we just walk around, enjoy the atmosphere, shows and yummy snacks then I'm happy. For instance, the first day of our trip we did tons of rides, shows, parades, the works. The next two days we did very few rides but slowed down, shopped and went on our quest for pressed pennies. It was soooo fun and we filled the whole pressed penny book! What a fun memory that will be for us in the future and DS loved it! I don't know if you will stay onsite, but staying somewhere with a fun pool will definitely help. We stayed at Hojo and for the little ones that place is perfect, especially if you don't want to pay onsite prices. We spent several hours playing at the splash pool each day. They also have a regular pool in another area of the hotel that the teenagers would enjoy. There is also the new Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance that is supposed to open up later this summer that has a very fun looking waterpark.
Whatever you decide I'm sure you will have a great time!

One thing about Disneyland as opposed to Disney world is that it is smaller and less tiring. Going back to your hotel is no big deal. Also everything isn't so far apart so not as much trudging around. Take her, take your camera and make magical memories.

Yes! Yes! Take her. 5 is a great age! We took my DD last year and she'd just turned 6. So magical for her! We had a day that was just me and her while DH took the bigger kids to Six Flags. I loved having that day with her. Have a great trip!

Thanks all! I wasn't going to take her to Florida (I think she's too young to really enjoy that) but since my oldest changed her mind and wants to go to DL, I decided to take her. My DH says I should just go with the older girls. I can see both sides, but she LOVES DL and would be crushed if I went without her, lol. I think going and just spending time with her would be awesome. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter