• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A quick question for January cruisers.

nluvwithmickey

DIS Veteran
For those who have done the 3 or 4 day Wonder cruise....would you do January all over again or chose another month?

Taking in account, the weather, the waves, the possibilty of swimming during the day spent at sea.

I would love to take my kids on a 4 day cruise in January and since they are not really psyched on doing the clubs, I guess the weather is an important factor for us.

The idea of leaving in a year while it is freezing here, the not so bad prices are 2 factors that matter alot to us. I would just not want to get on the ship and not be able to wear shorts or go swim.

We have cruised in Dec. 2004 and although we did have great weather, the day at sea was a bit chilly. Should I expect the same thing?

Check out this thread from yesterday....it should help you...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1012680

We have sailed in January twice, once on the Magic in '03 and it was chilly and then on the Wonder last January and we had mid 80 weather everywhere....it just depends on the particular weather pattern that week.

I would still book in January.

We have been on 7 Disney Cruises with our 8th already booked.

7 out of those 8 cruises have been in January, so I guess we don't mind it so much.

You can't be sure about the weather of course but we have never had it be really really cold before. Sometimes the water temperature is cool but being a northern (like myself) you probably wouldn't mind the water temperatures so much.

Our last 2 January cruises the seas have been so very calm and smooth it was like the boat was still docked at least 75 % of the time. You had to look outside to know for sure that you were moving. Wonderful. Of course it always gets a bit rocky going over the Gulf Stream but even that was hardly noticeable.

On your day at sea the captain will do his best to keep the ship in a nice smooth and sunny area of the ocean if at all possible.

I think you just have to take your chances because there is never any guarantee as to the weather.

Tahnks for the encouragement! Any more opinions? I just want my girls to have the best time possible. That way we rebook on board!!

nluvwithmickey said:
Tahnks for the encouragement! Any more opinions? I just want my girls to have the best time possible. That way we rebook on board!!

The way i see it, there are good and bad parts about ANY time of the year. For me, November and December are the best times, but the prices and the crowds keep us away. January and February are less crowded, but there is a risk that the weather will be chilly. For us, it's not a big deal because we live in Florida and don't cruise for sun and beach/pool time. March and April have spring breakers and they're more expensive. May through August, though lovely beach weather, can be stifling, and my towhead self and kid turn into well-cooked bacon very quickly. August through October are lovely if you don't mind the risk of shortening/changing/missing your cruise because of a hurricane.

So i guess my bottom line is that you should cruise when the timing and money are right for you. There's always a risk of bad weather, year round, but you'll still have the cruise. :goodvibes

I enjoyed my 2 Jan wonder cruises, for me it was not too cool, I even swam at Castaway Cay. The water temp is ususlly around 75 degrees at that time of year.
But if the air temp is upper 70's and the sun is shining, it's very nice.
It is great for me to go from home where the trees are bare, skies are grey and the grass is brown and the weather is clammy and cold. It really lifts my spirits to see blue skies, azure water and green plam trees.
That alone makes a Jan cruise a great thing for me! :sunny:

Hi,

I wouldn't hesitate to sail with DCL in Jan. Matter of fact, I have done it a few times before and I would have again this time due to the fabulous rates, but I just got off a Royal Caribbean cruise 12/17 (our annual family Christmas cruise), so I pushed my DCL date to the very last date they offered the value rates instead. So, this time I will be sailing Feb 2nd. The weather is still warm in the Bahamas in Jan. and as a Florida resident I enjoying heading to the Caribbean myself to warm up. Seas are not bad as long as none of those darn Northern cold fronts don't dip too far down here and though the ocean is still too cold for me to jump in...their are lots of folks that do!<BG>

Today's high here in the Tampa Bay area is 70 degrees and last weekend it hit 80 here, so we haven't really had more than two major cold fronts come through and they don't last more than a couple of days. Today is one of our cooler days, it should go back to the mid 70's this weekend. So, if we are this warm....just imagine what it will be like in the Bahamas!

I say, save the money and go for it in Jan.!

Tomorrow is the Tampa Bay Gasperilla Parade....Ahoy maties! pirate:

We just returned from the 4 Night Wonder last week. We had a great time but I think I'll choose to go in a warmer month next time. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we went when we did. Weather was great but the water was rather chilly for my tastes and a front had moved through which made for some strong cold winds and rough water.

Now, take into consideration I'm a Georgia girl and you're from Canada. The weather was insignificantly different for us. The weather could be a welcome relief for you. As a wimpy Georgia girl, I want my swimming water pretty darn warm. This is just a matter of personal taste.

Like Marcy said, there are good and bad points of any time of the year. Do what works best for you. You will NOT have a bad time. The only bad time to go on a Disney cruise is NO time.
:rotfl2:

I'm a northern girl too (WI) and we just returned from our cruise this last week (sailed Jan. 19-22). The weather was chilly when we left Orlando, but it was GORGEOUS in the Bahamas.

We spent our Nassau day swimming at the Atlantis and swam all day at Castaway Cay. We had only cruised in the summer previously and had stifling hot temps, so I thought high 70's and low 80's was ideal!

I would pick Jan. over Aug. for cruising again in a heartbeat!!!

Being from FL I didn't want to cruise in the heat so we went Jan 12-15. on the Wonder...enjoyed the weather...never wore coats, kids swam but didn't get to Castaway Cay due to weather...a weird front blew in...You can never guess what will happen on a particular day...just the season...after looking on here folks before and after me had fun on the Island! Too sad for me, but we enjoyed everything else and I was thankful it didn't rain....can't imagine that mess! The Captain did find sun for us so we enjoyed watching all the white capped waves from the giant portholes....

Okay, call us sick and twisted but our families favorite times to cruise are during hurricane season and January. We love Hurricane season because it is less crowded on the ships and most of the time they find good weather for us. We went during Hurricane Floyd and Frances. Our Frances got cancelled but we went in January and then went again this January as well. We love January because it gets us out of the Utah winter a little and helps us relieve post Christmas blues. Also, we usually add a few days at the parks during this time and they are empty then! Yeehaw! We love January at the parks! Like a previous post said, there are good and bad with all times of the year! Book January and have fun!

In orlando, we had some 40s mornings to visit the parks.
the bahamas had 60s mornings. plenty warm enough. A little cold in the pools during the am, but afternoon is fine.

I found the water at CC a little too cool. I'm from AL -- not a hearty soul for cold weather at all. I enjoyed the carribean sunshine.

Would easily do a January Cruise again.

I bet we could organize A DIS group and get a group rate! :thumbsup2

We just got off the Wonder two weeks ago and while the weather beautiful, the water at Castaway Cay was a bit chilly for our blood. I think the blackboard said the water temp was 70 degrees. But our kids had NO problems getting in and splashing around, though they were quite miffed with us for not joining them. DH did get in the pool on the ship with them. Still wore shorts the whole time, just kept a sweater/sweatshirt with us just in case as the mornings and late nights were a bit chilly up on deck. Plenty warm during the day.

Go in January...I know we will again! A cruise is wonderful no matter the weather!

We have cruised 2 times, and both of them were January cruises. We actually just sailed on the 1/8 Wonder. The weather was great in my opinion. It was a little chillier this last time around, but it was still nothing that I couldn't stand, and I'm from GA. We loved it, and know that when we are able to cruise again that we will book for January!

I cruised once in Jan and it really was not for me. When I cruise I like to be in shorts and be able to swim in warm water...I don't want there to be a chance that it will be 41 degrees in Nassau in Jan like it was 3 years ago. The cruise is my one big vacation a year and I really like goign the end ofApril/Beginning of May when its nice and warm. Sure its warmer than NY in Jan but I want really warm, beautiful warm water when I go.... One year when I was about 19 my friend and I decided last minute to go to Florida in Jan...well never did I think Fla was ever cool LOL...we packed shorts, tank tops etc...we got there and had to go shopping for pants, sweatshirts jackets etc LOL...boy did I learn from that LOL!

We were also on the Jan 2 06 cruise and as for Jan we would do it again.. Our last cruise was in March and I think the weather was about the same.. maybe a little warmer..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter