A quick question about popcorn

Nayan

DIS Veteran
I have to admit I've never had popcorn at the parks and have decided this time around to indulge. Is it just regular popcorn, or can you also get caramel or some other sweet type? Is it available in the souvenir bucket? TIA! :goodvibes

It is regular popcorn, but it tastes so much better in Disney! Yes you can get it in a souvenir bucket. Some of the kiosks also have caramel corn.

You definitely have to have some on your next trip! There is nothing better that Disney popcorn! It puts movie theater popcorn to shame!:)

It's Orville Redenbacher popcorn, no different then you'd find anywhere else, but the location sure makes it seem tastier.

I can't believe you've never had Disney popcorn! The popcorn is regular but some may have caramel.popcorn::

I've never had it either. My thought process was why spend the extra money on something I can get at home. You guys make it sound so much better than movie theater popcorn though which I find hard to believe. Movie theater popcorn with extra 'butter' is the best! Might have to try this Disney stuff. The proof is in the popcorn!

The caramel popcorn at Karamel Kuche in Epcot (Germany) is fantastic, and I'm not a big fan of caramel popcorn in general.

OMG yes! what is it about Disney popcorn that makes it taste delish! I rarely eat popcorn at home but cant resist Disney popcorn..even the smell alone is amazing!

If you're trying to replicate that flavour at home, as mentioned, you need to use the right kind of oil. Straight hydrogenated coconut oil (it's a solid at room temperature--to make it liquid they mix it with canola oil, which affects the flavour a little) is what theaters used back when their popcorn was amazing. Yeah, it isn't so great for you. But it gives it that flavour you want.

Part of why you need that oil isn't just for the aroma, but it's also because coconut oil has a high smoke point, which means you don't get any acrid flavour when you turn your burner to "heat of the sun" mode.

However, there's one more missing ingredient: Flavacol (or, if you want to go generic, "popcorn salt"). That's what gives it that orange colour and salty buttery flavour. You mix it in with the oil. Make sure to use stuff marked for popcorn--they use a kind of salt that is dried differently so it's closer to flakes (very fine) than coarser table salt--this makes it much easier to mix with the oil. It also does not contain iodine, as that affects the flavour, so don't use it on regular food or you might end up with goiters from the lack of nutrients.

Pop and enjoy. If you like butter topping, well, here's the other surprise: There's no butter in movie theatre popcorn. Butter topping is just canola oil mixed with flavourants, probably a slightly different flavoured flavacol mix, to be honest. I never bothered with that stuff, but if you want it, search for real popcorn topping, don't just melt a stick of butter. You do typically have to heat it as in a colder room it'll congeal.

Might not sound tasty, but it is. As for kernels, unless you're making sweet/candy corn (which is a bit of a different process, but not all that different--it will sound even less healthy if I explained it!) you can just use whatever is at your grocery store. For the glazed stuff, you should use mushroom style kernels to ensure proper coverage, a lack of old mads, and fewer hard bits.

FWIW, I go to a popcorn supply house (PoppaCorn if you're in southern ontario) that theatres use every couple of years for supplies--that's how I know what's the right stuff to use. :P

I should also mention that most people don't like the... ahem... aftertaste of coconut oil (remember how in the 60s when you had french fries you had a greasy mouth?) so sub in canola oil if you must, but the flavour and aroma will be off.

I have a souvenir bucket I got back in 2009. It has a Toy Story Midway Mania theme (which is the closest I actually GOT to TSMM that trip!) Whenever I make popcorn, I dump it into my bucket and pretend I'm at Disney! As far as souvenirs go, it was cheap and I get a ton of use out of it :thumbsup2

What's the cost of the bucket?? Thank you

Between $5-6. I am not really a popcorn fan but I do enjoy some at Disney - it really does taste better. The main reason I buy it is for the bucket. First trip I bought some (because the bucket was cute) and washed it out and packed DD's My Little Pony stash she'd bought at Once Upon A Toy when they used to do the fill-a-box. We have about 12 buckets at home and use them for storing an array of things from cereal to cookie cutters to stationery.

I'm heading over tomorrow for the week so I guess a couple of buckets of popcorn are in order! popcorn::

I have a souvenir bucket I got back in 2009. It has a Toy Story Midway Mania theme (which is the closest I actually GOT to TSMM that trip!) Whenever I make popcorn, I dump it into my bucket and pretend I'm at Disney! As far as souvenirs go, it was cheap and I get a ton of use out of it :thumbsup2
We use ours for lunch buckets. The kids are in high school and middle school and they take their lunch in them!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter