A question for the ladies - hysterectomy related

JessicaR

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>
I know there are quite a few women here that have had a hysterectomy, and some very recently.

I am scheduled to have one at the end of the month and have a question. My doctor is hoping to do the procedure laparoscopically. He requested that I have an endometrial biopsy next week. I was REALLY hoping to avoid this. He said the uterus would be unable to be biopsied after the surgery since the surgery destroys it, leaving nothing left to biopsy.

So, my question is, anybody have a biopsy done prior to their surgery? And, how bad did it hurt?:sad1:

I've had endometrial biopsys twice, they are not that bad. Take a couple advil or aleeve before you go in. You get some sharp cramps during the procedure. It's pretty much like a pap test but they keep going. The last one was done at my regular annual appt (I told her I was having irregular bleeding) and I went back to work afterwards.

have not had a hysterectomy. but did have an endometrial biopsy done prior to Uterine Fibroid Embolization in 2007. It really wasn't bad at all. I took an Aleve (or two) about an hour before the procedure. The Dr said it would be uncomfortable because she had to clamp the cervix a little, but I really felt very little. It was very similar to getting a Pap smear done. No cramping to speak of after and very little spotting that day.

Wow! Two positive posts in a row. I gotta stop reading on hystersisters.:laughing: They really had me anxious over this.

Thanks for replying and I will take some advil. :)

I too am having a hysterectomy at the end of the month. I had the biopsy done Tuesday. It was a little uncomfortable during and maybe 45 minutes after but was nothing to be worried about.

Hugs to you!

Kristen

I preface this by saying that everyone reacts differently to tests and with so far your responses being good, chances are yours will be fine.

But ... mine really, really, really hurt. I had two in the years prior to my hysterectomy in 2003 and they both hurt. And I have a high pain threshold. I didn't take any Aleve, etc. prior to going and if these other people suggest doing that, I'd do it!

Here's to hoping all works out well for you. :hug:

I had a hysterectomy last december and had several biopsies prior to that. None of mine were that bad - I just did like the other posters said and took some advil before I went.

My recovery for the hysterectomy was very smooth as well.

Hystersisters is a great site but... many of the posts are from people who really have problems with the procedures. There are very few regular posted that had no or little issues with thier procedures.

I've never had the endometrial biopsy, but I'm going to have a D&C on Thursday. (A result of an extremely thick lining with VERY heavy bleeding.) They're going to put me "out" for the procedure at the hospital. Good!! I guess they're looking to rule out cancer. Cross your fingers for me -- pleeeeze!!

I had one done about 3 weeks ago. I took motrin about an hour before the biopsy. It felt like cramps when she was doing it. I had heard horror stories and was thinking the worst so maybe that's why I did not think it was so bad!! Good luck.

I had an endometrial biopsy a few weeks ago before my endometrial ablation that I had last week. I was very nervous about the biopsy after reading about it. I took 800mg of Advil before my appt. It hurt, but it was a quick jabbing pain followed by cramps. I concentrated on taking deep breaths while he did it and it really was not all that bad. I was out of the office driving to meet a friend for lunch 15 minutes after it was done. I was a little crampy for the rest of the day, but it was nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated.

Good luck with everything!

I had a laparoscopical procedure to remove 1 ovary. 2 years later I had an abdominal hysterectomy. The laparoscopy gave me more problems because some of the gas was trapped in my shoulder. That was more painful than the other surgery.
Most women though, from what I understand, don't have the problem that I had.

BUT I think you should get a second opinion before you go any further. I have been in your shoes and had a ******l hysterectomy. If your doc is suspecting a condition that requires a biopsy beforehand then you should not be having the kind of hysterectomy that destroys your uterus as it comes out. I had an endometrial hyperplasia that would not go away over several months of biopsies and watchful waiting. It could have been endometrial cancer. There is no way for them to biopsy your whole uterus. They cant rule out cancer until the uterus is out and they biopsy a significant portion of it. Your uterus MUST be removed intact in the case that there is cancer there. If they shred it up and pull it out piece by piece in a lap procedure they risk spreading the cancer cells all inside of your abdomen and then you are really in trouble. The good news is almost always cured by having a hysterectomy.
Biopsies are no big deal with some advil beforehand but please get a second opinion. You don't want to make an already scary situation worse. Good luck:grouphug:

BUT I think you should get a second opinion before you go any further. I have been in your shoes and had a ******l hysterectomy. If your doc is suspecting a condition that requires a biopsy beforehand then you should not be having the kind of hysterectomy that destroys your uterus as it comes out. I had an endometrial hyperplasia that would not go away over several months of biopsies and watchful waiting. It could have been endometrial cancer. There is no way for them to biopsy your whole uterus. They cant rule out cancer until the uterus is out and they biopsy a significant portion of it. Your uterus MUST be removed intact in the case that there is cancer there. If they shred it up and pull it out piece by piece in a lap procedure they risk spreading the cancer cells all inside of your abdomen and then you are really in trouble. The good news is almost always cured by having a hysterectomy.
Biopsies are no big deal with some advil beforehand but please get a second opinion. You don't want to make an already scary situation worse. Good luck:grouphug:

I'm big on second and third opinions too. This is my third.:laughing: My doctor told me that he does the biopsy on every patient regardless of cause prior to a laparoscopic hysterectomy. The biopsy is scheduled for Wednesday. You have given me new food for thought that I will absolutely discuss with him. Thank You! :)

On another note I spoke to a GF last night that passed out when she went to stand up after the test. She had some intense pain. It occurred to me that there may be circumstances to each of us having a good or bad experience. I wonder if some doctors are just better at it? I wonder if certain disorders make it hurt more? Oh and of course we all have different pain tolerance levels. I have a decent pain tolerance, I'm just a huge baby and get worked up over it before hand.

Thanks for the well wishes! :)

Ilivetogo - I hope your D&C went well and that you are feeling well.:hug:

Oh good! I am GLAD you are on your third opinion~ you are my kind of girl!!!:cool1: If you are really nervous about the biopsy, ask the doc if he/she will numb your cervix for you. Mine did and while the "novacaine" like shots do pinch a little it made me more comfortable. It really was very easy, honestly, and I am a BIG baby when it comes to pain and major hypochondriac :lmao: so I really believe you will be just fine. Maybe you could take a friend with you to hold your hand and distract you a little?
and by the way, you will be so glad when you hyst is over and done. I do not miss that monthly business at all. Its such a relief to be over and done with that and not have to schedule around it and feel crampy and icky once a month. If I had known how good I would feel I would have done it a long time ago! Seriously!!
If the doc could do yours without the lap cuts you would be one step ahead in the healing process, though I'm told they are not a big deal. I went to the mall at two weeks after so trust me, you will be just fine. Hang in there, kid! :thumbsup2:cheer2:

I had one and thought it was the simplest thing ever (seriously) and I had spent DAYS worrying about it.

I have a friend who had one and had alot of complaints.

We both have the same doctor but I am 50 something and she was 20 something. I had had children and she had not. We sort of think that might have made a difference in the reaction.

Or maybe not but that was our unscientific thoughts on the matter.

I even went to my tap class that night...heck then I had a D &C and went to my tap class that night too. I don't want to do a hysterectomy.

Liz

Medical procedures work different on everyone so what happens to us might not happen to you, OP.

Perhaps your doctor could change the way your hysterectomy will be done--go from "below" rather than abdominal or laparoscope (sp). Mine was done from "below" & it turned out just fine for me. I had it done because of heavy heavy periods & fibroid tumors. Recovery was fairly quick, within 4 weeks or so. I returned to work after two weeks home but only went part time at first. I was amazed at how tired I was even though there was no more pain.

My daughter had it done, too, before she turned 30. Her periods were very heavy too & the procedure was done after a ruptured tubal pregnancy. Hers was done the way your dr wants to do yours & she had 3 tiny incisions. One was near her belly button & the other two slightly lower & on the side. Her recovery turned out well too as I remember.

Her husband at the time though, was super p***ed off because he wanted the baby. He just didn't get it that there wouldn't be a baby because tubal pregnancies dont work. DD wanted the baby too, but knew it wasn't gonna happen. Since their marriage ended very badly it was a good thing she never got pregnant after that.

My thoughts & prayers are with you ladies going through this.

Oh good! I am GLAD you are on your third opinion~ you are my kind of girl!!!:cool1: If you are really nervous about the biopsy, ask the doc if he/she will numb your cervix for you. Mine did and while the "novacaine" like shots do pinch a little it made me more comfortable. It really was very easy, honestly, and I am a BIG baby when it comes to pain and major hypochondriac :lmao: so I really believe you will be just fine. Maybe you could take a friend with you to hold your hand and distract you a little?
and by the way, you will be so glad when you hyst is over and done. I do not miss that monthly business at all. Its such a relief to be over and done with that and not have to schedule around it and feel crampy and icky once a month. If I had known how good I would feel I would have done it a long time ago! Seriously!!
If the doc could do yours without the lap cuts you would be one step ahead in the healing process, though I'm told they are not a big deal. I went to the mall at two weeks after so trust me, you will be just fine. Hang in there, kid! :thumbsup2:cheer2:

You are full of great info! I will ask about numbing. I seriously can't wait for the hysterectomy to be over. Most women seem to be really happy afterwards. Thanks again for all the support, you are a sweetheart!:hug:

Perhaps your doctor could change the way your hysterectomy will be done--go from "below" rather than abdominal or laparoscope (sp). Mine was done from "below" & it turned out just fine for me. .

This is an option. I won't really know what procedure he ends up doing until I wake up. He is hoping for laparoscopic but when he has a look around he'll decide. I am definitely going to ask more questions Wednesday based on a few of these posts.

Thanks for mentioning it its great to hear all opinions and options. Glad your hysterectomy went well for you.:)

Could it be that he wants the endometrial biopsy pre-op because if it shows anything concerning, you won't be having the lap. Hyst, but he might instead then recommend a different procedure?

I had a laparoscopical procedure to remove 1 ovary. 2 years later I had an abdominal hysterectomy. The laparoscopy gave me more problems because some of the gas was trapped in my shoulder. That was more painful than the other surgery.
Most women though, from what I understand, don't have the problem that I had.

That must be common with anesthesia! I also had a laparoscopical procedure to remove just my right ovary. I went in at 2 p.m. and was home later that night wondering what in the heck the doctor did to my shoulder while waiting on the lab results before closing me up!:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter