• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A question for teachers

hegsag

DIS Veteran
Would you enjoy receiving a candle for a Christmas present? I love candles and would love to get one. However, I worry that the teacher may end up with a bunch of heavy candles to take home. I took advantage of the buy 2 get 2 free Yankee candles & now I'm second guessing. Opinions appreciated...

This teacher would love one! You can never go wrong with Yankee Candle. More than anything, I'm just pleased to know my students and their parents care and are thinking of me.

Personally no, I dont use them (or light them cause im terrified of fire), but many teachers do enjoy candles.

I told this story on a thread last Christmas:

Me: the kids are selling Yankee Candles as a fundraiser. Want to buy one? Who doesn't need a candle.

My sister the teacher: are you kidding?? I could open my own Yankee Candle shop with all the candles I have received from students over the years. I wish they would just give me a card or a note and save their money.

Me: :rotfl:

As a former teacher-- no. In fact please don't give me anything smelly, it really gives me a headache and bothers my allergies.

Scents are such a personal thing. You may love vanilla but I hate it. I do enjoy some cinnamon things, but only very specific ones. I really think that teachers get enough stinky candles and stinky bath stuff (that is what MIL-- also a teacher-- calls it!) that ends up at someone else's house.

Unless you really know what she likes in Bath and Body lotions or candles I really wouldn't.

But, it is the thought that counts and I would be extremely grateful that you thought of me and honored by your gift and would never let your child or you know that it wasn't my favorite. I would also feel guilty when I either regifted it to a friend I know who loves it, or gave it away on freecycle but I wouldn't be able to keep it.

Teacher's get all sorts of things they may or may not like, and they all know that the spirit behind the gift is what matters.

I am NOT a teacher...so my opinion is worth what you are paying for it :lmao:

I do not like candles...I do not like scented bath & body lotions.

I will get sinus headaches from that type of stuff that will last a day, if not more.

Asking if a teacher will enjoy a Yankee Candle is about the same as asking if your mailman will like a candle. Teachers are people too! And just like people, they have likes and dislikes. Some like them, some hate them and pass them along to the next unsuspecting victim. However, even if she doesn't like candles, she would still be appreciative and not let your kid know that the gift is going to someone else.

And FTR, I hate getting candles and lotiony things.

and unfortunately the smell of those strongly scented candles make me ill. Candles are a very subjective thing, imo, either you love them or hate them.

As a teacher, the best gifts are gift cards, especially to teacher supply places so we don't have to spend our own $$$$ on supplies, ornaments (as long as you know the teacher celebrates Christmas) but the best gift of all is just a card with some words of appreciation!

As a teacher, the best gifts are gift cards, especially to teacher supply places so we don't have to spend our own $$$$ on supplies, ornaments (as long as you know the teacher celebrates Christmas) but the best gift of all is just a card with some words of appreciation!

I am not a teacher, but DD is. I second the gift card to store that sells items that teachers give out to their students, such as stickers, pencils, etc. Either an educational store or even a craft store such as Michael's or AC Moore.

DD often gives out these things and the money spent comes straight out of her pocket. She has never complained and loves doing this for her students. But I would bet she would :love: a gift card and put it to good use!!!

I'm a teacher,but a music teacher so I don't get a lot of gifts. I personally wouldn't mind a candle, in fact I would most likely use it if it was a food scent.

I know classroom teachers usually get more mugs, candles, and ornaments that they know what to do with each year.

Well....

1) Candles and other things with strong scents give me a migraine and

2) I have 4 cats, so candles are a no-no.

I appreciate every gift I receive, but candles are definitely given to another teacher or regifted to a relative that I'm SURE likes candles.

Marsha

My brother is a teacher and I like when he gets candles as gifts - he just drops them off to me on his way home since he wouldn't even open them up LOL...
Personally I just give the teacher a gift card-this year I got her a 25.00 gift certificate to Regal movie theater. I wouldn't get them something for hte classroom since I don't feel that is a gift for the teacher...I buy something for the classrom during the year but not as a gift.

I'm a teacher and I really enjoy getting candles (esp. Yankee Candles), but I can see that everyone's not like me!

I also like getting the "stinky bath stuff" too!

Now, I personally could do away with all the "World's Best Teacher" or "ABC" mugs, ornaments, plaques, and snowglobes...

Some ideas: gift card, amaryllis bulb/planter, gourmet food items (like pasta/sauce, truffles, crackers and spread, etc.), picture frame.

It's very sweet that you're thinking of your kid's teacher. Hope your candles find a good home - I personally love them!

It's hard to say unless you know the teacher personally. Some may love it, others may hate it. I always get gift cards that way they can pick out what they want themselves. Borders sells gift cards in $10, $15, $20; etc. denominations.

As a teacher, the gifts I prefer the most are gift cards, particularly to borders or barnes and noble.

As a parent, every year I give my dds' teachers book store gift cards, and have always received personalized cards of thanks.

I don't know a single teacher who wouldn't appreciate a gift card to a book store. One year, i got one to starbucks, and I gave it away because I don't drink coffee and have never been inside a starbucks. A gift card to a teacher store would be ok, but I personally wouldn't like it, I am lucky enough to get all those materials through my district.

Here's an even better idea. One year my dd's 3rd grade teacher had just bought a home and was pregnant, so all the parents pooled money and got her a $100 pre-paid American Express card, so that she could use it wherever she wanted for whatever she needed for the house or baby.

My DH is a teacher, but since he's a guy he doesn't get many candles. He teaches music and lately has been playing the Charlie Brown Christmas music before class begins, while students are getting their instruments. Last week, one of his students brought him a Charlie Brown Christmas tree. Best gift ever according to him. :)

My DS is in 1st grade and his teacher sent a note home saying she did not want any gifts, but if we had to get something, to get something for the class (art supplies, games the kids want to play in centers, etc.).

I'm thinking about giving DDs' (twins in Pre-K) teacher and teacher assistants $25 gift cards to a nail salon near school. That would be enough for a deluxe pedicure or manicure. Good idea? :confused3

Any advice from teachers and teacher assistants would be appreciated. :)

Thanks everyone for your honesty! I am going to pass on giving her a candle. She has a dog that she always talks about in class so I think I will have my dd get her something cutesy (bones with a Xmas theme) to give her. I also have chipped in for a class gift which is a gift card!

At my kids' elementary school, they have the teachers fill out profile pages each year (if they are returning teachers, they update them at the start of the year). This lists things the teachers like - restaurants, hobbies, stores, whether they have pets or kids, etc. It's really helpful in knowing what types of gifts or gift cards to get. You may want to ask at your school to see if they have something like this for the parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter