• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A question about split stays and free dining. Please help me...

BTown

Mouseketeer
My fiance, her 8 year old son and I are planning a trip to WDW for December 30, 2012 through January 7, 2013. Her son needs to be back home for school by January 8, 2013.

We have not booked anything yet because we are still debating on where to stay.

Today I received an e-mail with a PIN code for free dining from January 2, 2013 forward. We absolutely LOVE free dining, and we feel its a great discount, so we want to take advantage of it. However, we still want to be in the parks for New Years, so what do I do?

I know we can do a split stay, have reservation #1 be from 12/30 - 1/2, with 3 day tickets and have reservation #2 be from 1/2 - 1/7 with 6 day passes. However, the problem here is that having to pay for those 3 day passes makes this cost prohibitive. It's cheaper in that scenario to just forgo the free dining and pay full price for one long reservation.

I know it used to be that Disney would allow you to get free dining by booking your room with a 1 day pass to fullfill the room+ticket package requirement. Is that still allowed? If that is the case, I can book reservation #1 from 12/30 - 1/2 with 8 day passes and book reservation #2 from 1/2 -1/7 with 1 day passes that we can use for a future trip.

Though, I wonder, is this scenario possible: I book a package at Port Orleans from 1/2 - 1/7 with 8 day passes. Could I pick up my park tickets BEFORE I check in for my stay at Port Orleans? Essentially, I pick up my tickets, use them while staying at another resort, and then check into Port Orleans on 1/2? Does that even make sense?

In short, we want to be in the parks for New Years, we can't stay past January 7 because of school and we want to take advantage of free dining for as much of our stay as possible. What do you guys recommend?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

You must buy at least a 2 day ticket for free dining (for all in the room).

You can pick up tickets 3 days early. So you could book the 2nd part of the stay with free dining and buy a long enough ticket to cover the 1st part of the stay (and book that for a room only) and pick up your tickets early.

Dining credits would not start until you check into stay #2.

Thanks for the info. It looks like the thing to do would be to book a package during the free dining dates, add extra days to that ticket, and just pick up the ticket early to use for the parks.

Thank you again!

You have to pick up your tickets at Guest Relations at DTD or any park. Have a great trip we're hoping to go to Disney over New Year's Eve 2013

You have to pick up your tickets at Guest Relations at DTD or any park. Have a great trip we're hoping to go to Disney over New Year's Eve 2013

Where in DTD is guest relations? Can you tell me in relation to a restaurant or store? I would be coming off a boat from POR.
Thanks!

There are two Guest Relations offices at DTD.

Marketplace:
Walk-up counter located by Ghirardelli Chocolate, at the Rainforest Cafe side of the Marketplace.

There's one at Disney Quest too I believe

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks for the information. If we will be arriving and checking in on a room only two days before our package, we will have KTTW cards from that. If I pick up tickets early, do they give me separate tickets? Will I have to check in again with the package? How do I avoid confusion or loss of the park tickets?

JessicaW1234 said:
Thanks for the information. If we will be arriving and checking in on a room only two days before our package, we will have KTTW cards from that. If I pick up tickets early, do they give me separate tickets? Will I have to check in again with the package? How do I avoid confusion or loss of the park tickets?

You will get separate tickets if you pick up early. When you check into the second resort reservation, they can put them on your new KTTW card at that time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter