• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A PSA... Do not blame the phone CMs!!

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
I posted this in one of the pinned threads, but just a gentle reminder on its own...

Everyone please remember it is NOT the fault of the person you are talking to when you get someone and please do not take it out on them.

I used to work in reservations in a hotel in Nashville that had a holiday show which had room packages and those went on sale on a certain day. Even having all but a skeleton crew to run the night come in on opening day, there were still long hold Times because there was a finite number of people to take the calls - even with group managers helping out - and there is a finite number of circuits. 99% of the callers would light into us immediately, cursing and fussing about the wait - which just made the wait longer and the call more painful. I know that when we got the rare person who was polite the whole time regardless of wait, they were liable to have notes for special extras on their reservation just because it was such a breath of fresh air.

Don't blame the CM you finally get to talk to. They are as frustrated as you are.

PSA over. :)

Thank you, Beth. This is ALWAYS good to keep in mind - regardless of opening day or not.
Kevin

Yes always be nice. Today’s might be worse than the usual silver booking day. You have dvc members for the first time ever that are able to book today that hasn’t been on a DCL cruise. Plus the snow a lot of people are getting they might be off work today and if they are platinum or gold they might not of been able to call in the last couple of days.

Having it like this might of help a little bit.
Monday first day for platinum
Tuesday first day for gold
Wednesday first day for silver
Thursday first day for dvc members.
Friday online booking starts.

Thank you for this. I work in HR and every opening day or busy period for them, I always begin my call with something positive and light and tell them "You're doing a great job today!". Many have opened up to me and tell me they get yelled at by people a lot. Please be nice to them as they appreciate the positive feedback. If you feel they are deserving something extra special they also appreciate a Kudos comment to their supervisory staff as it goes in their personnel file.

Thank you for this. I work in HR and every opening day or busy period for them, I always begin my call with something positive and light and tell them "You're doing a great job today!". Many have opened up to me and tell me they get yelled at by people a lot. Please be nice to them as they appreciate the positive feedback. If you feel they are deserving something extra special they also appreciate a Kudos comment to their supervisory staff as it goes in their personnel file.

Exactly!! A nice, kind word at the beginning will help the call go so much smoother as well. Yes, as the phone agent you're supposed to "act nice" even if you don't "feel nice", but if someone starts a call yelling and ranting about the hold time, it really doesn't engender warm, fuzzy feelings. Trust me. Every phone agent KNOWS that it's been a dumpster fire today and is just as frustrated as you are. Put yourself in their shoes. :)

Also, if you used a TA and s/he is part of an agency and not independent, let the agency owner know. I tweeted the owner of the agency I use to tell her how awesome my agent was, and she was so grateful and retweeted it along with "This is why we do what we do, even on tough days." So the TAs are feeling it too.

Part of the wait problem is so many people are asking pricing for multiple variations. Sure wish they would post pricing somehow so people could have pre determined. I get the price could change each day which would irritate people but starting with the first reservation people are posting prices.

Also, if you used a TA and s/he is part of an agency and not independent, let the agency owner know. I tweeted the owner of the agency I use to tell her how awesome my agent was, and she was so grateful and retweeted it along with "This is why we do what we do, even on tough days." So the TAs are feeling it too.

Ditto. Be kind to the TAs as well. I used Costco, and I know they are based in WA so they're on Pacific Time. It's even earlier for their agents. The one that I worked with was so ready to go, and knew all of the right questions to ask me beforehand. I was so tired, barely one eye open when I booked, but the Costco agent was on top of it. She told me, "I have 3 cups of coffee in insulated cups ready to go for today, so let's get you a cruise booked!" LOL She even told me to go back to bed, because she was on hold for 5+ hours the day before for Plat and Gold folks, and if we got disconnected, she'd call me back. They're trying the best they can too. I know some TAs sell themselves as the miracle workers, and sometimes, they are, but they're not immune to the lengthy waits.

Part of the wait problem is so many people are asking pricing for multiple variations. Sure wish they would post pricing somehow so people could have pre determined. I get the price could change each day which would irritate people but starting with the first reservation people are posting prices.

You hit the nail on the head, I think, as to why they don’t post prices.

If people call in, and get a different (higher) price than what they saw originally posted (due to strong demand), an inordinate number of those people will complain/blow their stack/demand to speak to a manager, which will clog the phone lines just as bad, if not much worse.

Agree with the pricing comment, I've seen TAs mention how they will stay on the line for 45 mins just jotting down quotes on 40 different pricing options, seems very inefficient.

I just discovered the new site where they allow for combining gift cards so we don't have to read multiple gift card numbers so there's that improvement.

I used to work in reservations in a hotel in Nashville that had a holiday show which had room packages and those went on sale on a certain day.

I'm guessing this was the Opryland Gaylord and I can only imagine what the rush was like for that on opening day.

I don’t get why we need to call in. It would be so much easier if we could book online. Or at least allow TAs to book electronically.
Agree. My TA just told me he booked 10 cruises at once when he got a CM on the phone! Disney could make it easier by not being so greedy and at least keeping the prices stable for the first week. Then have the prices go up the following Monday or whatever. It feels bad knowing that I might be getting a higher price than someone who is a platinum cruiser, even though I am booking as soon as I can. If they want to reward their frequent cruisers I think the early access to staterooms and OBB discount should be enough, but not to have the price go up in the middle of a phone call!

I'm guessing this was the Opryland Gaylord and I can only imagine what the rush was like for that on opening day.

Yep! It was just called Opryland Hotel at the time. And even with a non-toll-free number it was h-e-double hockey sticks.

Yep! It was just called Opryland Hotel at the time. And even with a non-toll-free number it was h-e-double hockey sticks.

Nothing of importance to add, expect that this made me smile. Born and raised in Nashville and lived there until I was 39. I have so many wonderful memories of Opryland and the Opryland Hotel - especially at Christmas!! By the time our son was born, Opryland was gone - cuz yes, we all need more shopping malls :sad2:, but at least the hotel is still there, even under another name.

Nothing of importance to add, expect that this made me smile. Born and raised in Nashville and lived there until I was 39. I have so many wonderful memories of Opryland and the Opryland Hotel - especially at Christmas!! By the time our son was born, Opryland was gone - cuz yes, we all need more shopping malls :sad2:, but at least the hotel is still there, even under another name.

I worked for 2 summers at Opryland. Then after college I worked on the Gen Jackson as a cashier until I transferred to room reservations in the hotel. :)

Lived in Hendersonville from 2.5 - 8.5, then my family moved back to Hermitage after my high school graduation. And I lived there for a few years after college.

I worked for 2 summers at Opryland. Then after college I worked on the Gen Jackson as a cashier until I transferred to room reservations in the hotel. :)

Lived in Hendersonville from 2.5 - 8.5, then my family moved back to Hermitage after my high school graduation. And I lived there for a few years after college.

Franklin High grad here, then lived in Antioch after college. We moved back to Franklin after our son was born. I really thought we'd be there forever, but life intervenes (and it's all good!!)

My high school prom was in Opryland's Gaslight theater. Ahh - good times! Love the Gen Jackson, as well, and thankfully it's still in operation.

Thanks for a nice trip down memory lane on a cold, PA morning! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter