• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

A Plea from the Red Cross.... Please Read

NHMickey

<font color=red>I'm A Disneyana Collector!<font co
I just got this in an email..

American Red Cross

World Trade Center, Pentagon and Pittsburgh Tragedies

The American Red Cross has immediately responded to the explosions at the World Trade Center in New York City and in the Pentagon and on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. that occurred early in the morning on September 11, 2001. The Red Cross has activated its Aviation Incident Response (AIR) Team to respond in New York City and trained disaster workers from the American Red Cross are providing relief in the affected areas.

80,000 blood donations in the American Red Cross blood inventory are ready to ship to affected areas and will ensure that patients' lives are saved. In the wake of these traumatic events lies a wide path of catastrophic physical and psychological destruction in which countless victims will require assistance. In addition to meeting the physical needs of the affected regions, the American Red Cross will be providing crisis mental health counseling.

"The American Red Cross is doing everything we can to ensure the immediate availability of the safest possible blood," said Dr. Bernadine Healy, president and CEO of the American Red Cross. "We are also dispatching hundreds of trained disaster workers and mental health counselors to New York, Washington D.C. and elsewhere," she added.

The fastest and most effective way to help the victims of this disaster is through cash and blood donations, which allow for the best use of resources. All Red Cross disaster assistance is free, made possible by voluntary donations of time and money from the American people.

To make a blood donation, please call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE or contact your local blood service organization. To help the victims of this and other disasters through a financial contribution, call 1-800- HELP-NOW to make a credit card donation.

You can also mail a donation to the American Red Cross, designating "Disaster Relief Fund" on the memo line of the check, at the American Red Cross, PO Box 37243 Washington DC 20013.

Thank you for posting this Nat - very good reminder. Least close reading of the Red Cross notice causes some confusion, there has been no, repeat NO, disaster on the Washington Mall. It is the Pentagon only (thank G_d, we don't yet know where the 4th plane was supposed to go) that has been hit in Washington. News from there doesn't sound good, and any assistance that can be given to the persons there and in New York will be appreciated.

I spoke to my local Red Cross office this morning. They said they are currently swamped with donators. But they do expect the need for blood to be ongoing, and asked that I plan on donating next week.

I was going to try to organize a DIS donation. I was thinking that if we each donated $10, the cost of a pin, it would be helpful in aiding those in need. I am happy to do this if enough peole want , or we can all respond to the email that Nat posted in this thread.

Leslie

Somebody needs to tell the Red Cross to open a paypal account... Now i gotta go search for my credit card..HEHE Sorry just a little quick relief.

How to help Red Cross
Many of us are feeling helpless and want to do something to help. It's become clear that the Red Cross is one way to contribute to the rescue efforts.

Of course, giving blood is one way to help and very necessary. Monetary donations are also very necessary to help the rescue efforts. I found this information and wanted to pass it on.

You can donate online at www.redcross.org

I also found links on paypal and paydirect to donate online to the Red Cross.

Hope this helps

Chris

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter