A Planning Newbie... Suggestions/Help, please!

lalasmama

DIS Veteran
Hi! I'm Mimi. I've begun planning my first "big kid" trip to DLR, which will also be my 7yo's first trip.

I've been twice, however, each time, I was a kid, and my parents did the planning. Now that I'm the parent (odd how that happens, huh?), I'm ready to fulfill my daughter's wish to meet Minnie Mouse. To make things more fun, it will be a surprise present for her 8th b-day. (She's said she wants to go to DLR when she's 8. I hope her heart isn't broken that she will be 7yo for the first 3 days!) :rotfl:

I've got some of the initial planning done. We'll be going late Feb/early March of next year. We have our tickets ready to be purchased in a few paydays (purchasing on the Disney site, but through LifeBalance, which makes it the cheapest I have found for tickets [$204 for DD, $222 for me for 5day ParkHopper). I'm wavering on the darn airline tickets (Southwest vs JetBlue which means LAX vs LGB). I think we'll be staying at Super 8 on Katella.

I have to admit I feel like I'm overlooking some major things, but I'm not sure what! This is the first trip I have planned with/for my daughter and I. We haven't gone anywhere for a week--certainly never out of the state on an airplane! She came to live with me as a foster child a few years ago, and so up until recently, we had a lot of rules to follow; this is kind of a "forever family" celebration on top of her birthday present--this is the first time I've gotten to say "Oh, we're leaving the state, and will be gone for a week" and not have to get permission from anyone!

So here's what I'm trying to figure out:

(1) Park hours in Feb/March??
(2) Is the Main Street Electric Parade going to be going?? (This is my only memory from my first and second trip to DLR as a kid!)
(3) Any suggestions about the flight choices--mainly LAX vs LGB?
(4) Any idea what I should be budgeting for meals? The hotel has a very basic breakfast, I figured I would pick up some fruit/snacks at the 7-11 to also have, so we're looking at 2 meals at DLR, more than likely. I imagine we will largely do counter-service, as my kiddo's ADHD won't mix well with table service at dinner time.
(5) Anything I need to do/have/say to ensure that she has the best experience ever? (I've heard we are supposed to go to City Hall for a first time pin or something, right? Anything similar for her birthday?)

Thanks so much for any suggestions! Like I said, I'm a newbie with this planning thing, and trying to make it go perfect for my princess!

I can't really answer a whole lot of your questions but I do recommend Minnie & Friends Breakfast!!! It's fantastic and my kids love it!!!

If you're not set on your hotel yet I suggest adding a bunch of the hotels you are interested in to your Facebook account. We got an amazing deal on there last year for Ramada Maingate. Super close walk and the free 'el cheapo breakfast too which was perfect for us until lunch.

I'm not sure if the Super 8 has a shuttle or not but if they don't then I highly recommend finding a hotel that is closer to the gate. It's so much easier if you need to head back to the hotel in the afternoon for a break. Plus it makes for a nice short walk back after a long tiring day.

Whatever you decide to do you are sure to have a great time!!! What a special trip for you and your DD!! Have a great time!

Hi! I'm Mimi. I've begun planning my first "big kid" trip to DLR, which will also be my 7yo's first trip.

Awesome! I know you will have a great time!

I've been twice, however, each time, I was a kid, and my parents did the planning. Now that I'm the parent (odd how that happens, huh?), I'm ready to fulfill my daughter's wish to meet Minnie Mouse. To make things more fun, it will be a surprise present for her 8th b-day. (She's said she wants to go to DLR when she's 8. I hope her heart isn't broken that she will be 7yo for the first 3 days!) :rotfl:

I've got some of the initial planning done. We'll be going late Feb/early March of next year. We have our tickets ready to be purchased in a few paydays (purchasing on the Disney site, but through LifeBalance, which makes it the cheapest I have found for tickets [$204 for DD, $222 for me for 5day ParkHopper). I'm wavering on the darn airline tickets (Southwest vs JetBlue which means LAX vs LGB). I think we'll be staying at Super 8 on Katella.

Just be aware that you will probably be going during the off season, which has both benefits and drawbacks. The benefit is fewer people, which means a less crowded park, yay! But that also means that Disney will cut back hours, with closures at 8pm or even earlier (during the week). It also means that nighttime entertainment will be cut back as well, so Fantasmic and fireworks will only be on weekends. But World of Color should have at least one show every night.

I have to admit I feel like I'm overlooking some major things, but I'm not sure what! This is the first trip I have planned with/for my daughter and I. We haven't gone anywhere for a week--certainly never out of the state on an airplane! She came to live with me as a foster child a few years ago, and so up until recently, we had a lot of rules to follow; this is kind of a "forever family" celebration on top of her birthday present--this is the first time I've gotten to say "Oh, we're leaving the state, and will be gone for a week" and not have to get permission from anyone!

So cool! I have three adopted sisters who all started as foster kids. It is so special when they are finally yours!

The cool thing about Disneyland is once you have covered things like flights and hotels, the rest is super easy to plan. So I wouldn't stress about it.

So here's what I'm trying to figure out:

(1) Park hours in Feb/March??

Like I said, probably very early. Will you be there during the weekend? Because on the weekend it might be open until 9 or 10. But during the week, it will close 7 or 8 pm sometimes.

(2) Is the Main Street Electric Parade going to be going?? (This is my only memory from my first and second trip to DLR as a kid!)

Sadly, no. The MSEP is currently in WDW. There is talk of bringing it back here, but that won't be for awhile. However, World of Color is amazing and of course the other Disneyland nighttime entertainment.

(3) Any suggestions about the flight choices--mainly LAX vs LGB?

Save yourself some trouble and fly into LGB. LAX is further away and harder to negotiate.

(4) Any idea what I should be budgeting for meals? The hotel has a very basic breakfast, I figured I would pick up some fruit/snacks at the 7-11 to also have, so we're looking at 2 meals at DLR, more than likely. I imagine we will largely do counter-service, as my kiddo's ADHD won't mix well with table service at dinner time.

It is hard to say because there are so many different options at Disneyland for food, from very expensive sit down places to carts. Best idea would be to look at allears that has menus and prices and see what you think. Here is the link: http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/menus.htm Keep in mind that many plates can be split as well for additional savings. I would consider at least one character meal. The interaction I think would be very fun and would not be an ordinary dinner. It may also keep you from having to wait in lines to see the characters, which I imagine might be difficult. There is a princess character meal at Ariel's Grotto in DCA that you might want to look into, the princesses are very good at giving individual attention in my experience.

(5) Anything I need to do/have/say to ensure that she has the best experience ever? (I've heard we are supposed to go to City Hall for a first time pin or something, right? Anything similar for her birthday?)

Yes, you already know that you can get a first visit button and a birthday button! This should get you lots of acknowledgment from the cast members and perhaps some pixie dust. I do not know the level of ADHD that your daughter has, but some families find a Guest Assistance Card to be helpful for their children with ADHD. Obtained at City Hall, you may be able to get assistance for your daughter with long waits for rides, etc. Again, this would depend completely on your child's level of need.

Thanks so much for any suggestions! Like I said, I'm a newbie with this planning thing, and trying to make it go perfect for my princess!

You are already ahead of the game, so read the boards, make the hotel and flight arrangements and then consider a few meal reservations. You can book restaurants 60 days out, so you have lots of time. Enjoy!

Can I recommend SNA, Orange County airport? Its close, its small, it tends to have cheap southwest flights and easy shuttle access whereas LGB tends to be more expensive to get to/from DLR by comparison.
Love going off-season, especially if you don't mind the park closing around 8p. We can't stand crowded summers. Others already answered your questions, but just wanted to add my $.02! 7 going on 8 is a great age. Enjoy!

For sure LGB over LAX *does JetBlue fly out of your home airport? We love JB & LGB - hang around here for awhile, you'll get the hang of things. The EP may indeed be back - but at that time of year, probably only a weekend event.

In general, flight prices tend to be the lowest 60 to 45 days before the trip. However, we've also had really good luck booking on Southwest as soon as they open up the timeframe we want.

We stayed at the Super 8 on Katella last trip. Breakfast is basic, they had bread for toast, jelly, fruit loops and raisin bran (name brand, at least), milk, muffins and I think pre-packaged donuts. I think they may have had coffee and juice as well. The walk is a bit of a walk, and I don't want to say that the Disneyland area is unsafe, but I felt a little squeamish walking by the bus stop on Katella/Harbor with just me and my girls... Next trip we're trying out the Quality Inn on Manchester; it's supposed to be a bit closer and with my Entertainment card discount, is about the same price we paid for the Super 8. Plus, it's supposed to have waffles for breakfast. The Quality Inn prices seem to flutuate over time, while the Super 8 seems to start low and only get higher.

It also may not be much more for you to stay at either the Anaheim Plaza or the Desert Inn and Suites. Both have rooms that start at $59 in the off-season. Anaheim Plaza has $4 parking and DI & S has $8 parking and a $4 resort fee. DI & S is right across Harbor from the pedestrian entrance, and Anaheim Plaza is just a little ways down (probably half the distance of the Super 8). However, if you're flying in, I'm guessing you'll use a shuttle and not have to worry about parking.

We're doing a character breakfast (Minnie and Friends) for my DD's 7th birthday soon. That may be an idea for making her birthday extra-special.

I like the Candy Cane inn which has a shuttle. The walk is pretty short too.

Definitely get a birthday button as the CMs will greet her and wish happy birthday. At the newsstand, right after going under the train track on the right side, they had name tags for sale that looked similar to the CM's which is customizable and we get our kids' first names on them. When the kids (8 and 11) are called by name by a CM, it is pretty cool.

I vote for John Wayne airport.

I second the recommendation for the Minnie & Friends character breakfast, especially since she wants to meet Minnie Mouse!

How are you getting from the airport to the hotel? Are you renting a car or taking a shuttle (either the Disneyland hotel shuttle or something like Super Shuttle)? If you're not renting a car, some hotels near the park entrance have a "no car discount" that brings the price down considerably. Most also have AAA discounts, some have Costco discounts, and some have discounts if you're a poster on this board (Hojo does, and a few others that I've forgotten). If you have a card from an Entertainment book (doesn't matter what area, can be local for you), you can often get some awesome discounts on hotels.

The only hotels I've stayed at within walking distance of the park (so far, I do have other ones booked for future trips) are Hojo and Best Western Anaheim Inn. Neither one have free breakfast, but we had fridges and microwaves at both places (I think they came with the room & we didn't have to request them, but you may want to check). I've walked to the park from both with a toddler, and not always with the toddler in a stroller, and it was a fairly comfortable walk to the park. The walk back was less fun, but not completely exhausting and unpleasant.

(Actually, I have stayed at one other close-walk hotel, but that was the Grand Californian. We stayed there on my very first trip to Disneyland ever, a group of 10 visiting the park for Thanksgiving. It baffles me that we were ever able to afford that.)

Have you thought about taking her to Bibbity Bobbity Boutique on her birthday to get a "princess makeover"?

i highly recommend staying at one of the off site hotels across the pedestrian walk from disneyland, as it is easy to return to the hotel in the middle of the day if you need to cool off/nap/swim etc or if you just need a break from the parks. it can also be a good excuse to stop off and purchase food on harbor blvd which can be considerably cheaper than in the resort.

also, we are flying from LAX but since we don't have a car, we'll be taking the Disneyland Resort Express bus, which is covered in Disney images and shows disney movies, which might be a great way to start out the disney journey for your little one.

also, check out some of the hotels along harbor blvd such as park vue inn, Desert Inn & Suites, Fairfield Inn etc as most of them will put together a little welcome basket for you (fruit, water, wine etc) and some will even do a little birthday present (card, balloon & toy) if you mention it's her birthday :)

just some thoughts :) i found tripadvisor (www.tripadvisor.com) and the forums here to be insanely helpful in planning our vacation this year, and also our return vacation in 2013.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter