a Pixar question regarding Monsters Inc.

faeflora

<font color=blue>Meredith College Class of '06<br>
Hopefully one of you wonderful and informative individuals could assist me...
we watched the Monsters Inc DVD last night focusing on some of the making of sequences on disc 2...well there seems to be a chimp in many of the shots at the
Pixar Studios...so here is my question...what is up with the chimp?

thanks
julia

I don't know the answer to the Chimp question, but can I take this opportunity to say how awesome the Monsters Inc discs were?

Let me get this right. I paid about $19 for a two disc set with incredible and histerical behind the scenes footage from the movie, from the company, and from the people who obviously put so much heart and love into their work.

I could have paid $20 for a retread, tired, and utterly inane compilation of 'villains' on the latest Disney release instead.

Thank God I chose the right one.

Seriously. Anybody that watches Disc 2 and does not see that the guys at Pixar are the true descendants of Uncle Walt needs their lamp examined. Walt's Disney was suits and sweaters...these guys have Hawaiian shirts and scooters...but that's where the differences end. Both groups seemed to do what they do for love of excellence. Both groups understood that the story was king. Both groups seem bent on being the best at what they do.

I think this is my record-breaking 20th time to say this, but John Lassiter needs to be wined and dined by Roy Disney until he becomes the new President of Disney, with some finance guy (with Disney in his blood) as CEO.

And you know what. You don't have to be an Ei$ner basher to agree with me. You just have to believe that Disney is a sleeping giant that just needs to be wakened by someone with the right vision and the right touch. Cousin Mike may be a lot of things, and some of them even good things, but he is no John Lassiter or Walter Elias.

Didn't Disney already try to get Lasseter? I thought he signed a long-term contract with Pixar?

But your points are well taken, Sir Airness. I watched much of the second disc tonight, and the folks at Pixar do seem to get it, and I too was happy to hear them emphasize that the story is #1, and always will be.

But I too, would like to know if the chimp has any meaning, other than just to make us ask "What's up with the chimp?"

Oh and by the way, included in the 19.99 I paid were the lithographs and a $10 Disney store gift card.

Now THAT'S a deal!

(However, I must admit, with a certain level of embarassment, that I've also purchased the House of Villains. While I've soured on most of the direct to video stuff, I'm still a sucker for Mickey...)

The bad thing is Disney may lose Pixar altogether since their contract is up soon. It may take a sweet deal to reup Pixar. Disney already signed a contract with the maker of Shrek so resigning Pixar may not be in the works.

I like the Lassiter to Disney idea. Those are some really creative folks who really seem to enjoy what they are doing. Saw a special on E! about the making of Monsters Incs and seems like an interesting place to work

Hope Disney doesnt lose Pixar!

Thanks Matt.

And, I shouldn't have been so quick with my words on the Villains disc, since I don't actually have it. I've just been so disappointed with the purchase or rental of the recent 'compilations' like Tarzan & Jane, and the Peter Pan one, and then I read the review ( www.mouseplanet.com maybe?) trashing the Villains disc as a retread, tired old ATM for Disney.

And seriously, I agree with you on the movie and the second disc. What a great value for the price! Doncha just love how John L and his crew repeat the mantra that they are a computer animation company, but its not the medium that has made us them so successful; it is the STORY.

It's everything from the cool stuff they give stockholders each year, to the fact that they keep producing these award-winning shorts knowing that it might not make 'em a pile of cash, but it is a place to let the guys without experience gain that and learn from the 'masters' on a project of smaller scale. Sounds like something Walt would do.

Even if you don't like computer animation, or you didn't like Monsters Inc. (all two of you) go rent disc 2 and catch a glimpse at the New Disney.

Only drawback? I threw out the stuff on the inside without looking at 'cause I was too busy talking to my family. I didn't realize there was a $10 giftcard. DOH!

In order to get the gift card you needed to spend $50 at the same time you bought the DVD/Video, so don't worry you didn't throw anything away.

They also have a similar thing for Beauty & the Beast.

Ahhhhh, I didn't realize I got the gift card for spending $50. (I was also buying the talking Stitch "for my son"...)

We've never been big purchasers of the direct to video stuff. We did buy The Little Mermaid 2 and were disappointed, then Cinderella 2 and were VERY disappointed.

We also have Snowed in at the House of Mouse, which was ok I guess. The Beauty and the Beast Enchanted Christmas was decent.

But that's all we have, except for the new Villains release. The idea of having all of the villains appealed to me, but we haven't watched it yet.

With regard to Pixar, I'm hoping that the possible upcoming management shakeup somehow allows for the Disney-Pixar relationship to continue, since that seems to be the only way its possible.

From what I've seen of the disc so far, it was well worth the $20!

I thought it was humorous that Disney made Dinosaur as a little "see, we can do it too" to Pixar & then when it flopped... Gee, I guess it takes a little more than the latest & greatest software to make a hit, eh?

While I think it would be great to have John L aboard, if I'm him & I've seen how the Disney runs these days, I'd stay with Pixar unless there is an almost a complete house cleaning. Which would you rather be:

a) The guy who's calling the shots at a place where the worst film you've made, is still a blockbuster. The projects are only limited by your imagination & your boss is a big time idea man who is willing to try new things & certainly isn't afraid of stock holders.

or

b) Moving to a company, where times are tough. The ones worth saving are disheartened & are doing everything they can just to make sure their head isn't the next one on the chopping block. Merchandising is the primary concern in a creative endeavor & your budget request comes back with a few zeros crossed off. The legal team freaks anytime you want to use an established character (I think some still have chest pains thinking about Who Framed Roger Rabbit). Oh yeah & the stock holders expect you to single handedly save the company since you've been touted as the golden boy. No pressure...the clock is ticking. Anyone else getting an image of Mickey trying to scoop the water out of the flooding basment while the brooms are making sure it's an exercise in futility?

Even a FL voter can figure this one out. :teeth:

While we're comparing discs, let me give a big shout out to the folks at Disney who produced the movie and the DVD for The Rookie. I've been hearing people around here rave about the movie, which I missed in theatres, and boy were they right.

Great movie! And the disc has some great inside stuff including great interviews with Jim Morris and his family.

That's the kind of DVD I would love to get for Christmas. Hint. Hint.

Originally posted by Jeff in BigD

Even a FL voter can figure this one out. :teeth:

yes they can figure that decision out, but they can't figure out how to select it in the voting :) :teeth:

Mike

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter