A picture in front of every resort Christmas Tree. Yes I pulled it off!!

jakeybake

DIS Veteran
Hi,

I was in WDW for a work conference from 12/4-12/8. The conference was being held at the Marriott World Resort. I couldn't imagine traveling down to Orlando and not staying at a WDW resort so I booked myself at Pop (which I hated but that's a story for another time) and rented a car to get back and forth to the resort.

I received my itinerary a week before my trip and low and behold the first 3 days down were my own. I wasn't due at the conference until the 7th. At the very second I saw it one of my greatest ideas ever came to mind!!

Since I have 3 full days to myself, am traveling solo and have rented a car, why don't I have someone take my picture in front of every single Walt Disney World resort Christmas Tree? The more I thought about it the more I realized that I could pull it off.

So fast forward to my trip. I'm happy and proud to say that I did indeed pull it off, and though it required some time and planning (thought not as much as I thought it would) I pulled it off with relative ease.

Given that there are many resorts that are clustered near other, neighboring resorts, I could knock off 3 or 4 resorts in an hour or two. This was especially true in the Epcot resort area with the BC/YC/BW/Swan and Dolphin and the Magic Kingdon monorail resorts, the GF/Poly/Contemporary and though not a monorail resort, the WL.

The toughest resorts for me to get were the CB, CS and AKL, given that they are pretty much in solo locations. POR, POFQ and Saratoga Springs were done in a snap, as was the quickest trip of all, the All Stars. They were super easy because they were within yards of each other.

All I did was ask a Cast Member at each resort to take my picture and why. The response was almost always the same, "Oh, that is a great idea!!". It really was super easy.

The funniest part of all was that once I thought I was done I came to realize, on my way off of property to the airport, that I had never taken a picture of the resort I was staying at, Pop (guess that shows how little I thought of it) so before I left property I zipped on over and made that my one last picture.

Once I got home I realized that a couple were a bit blurry (Dolphin, POFQ) but everything else came out great.

I would say for others who may want to give it a try that a rental car is a must. I guess you could pull it off with the bus system but I can't imagine how much time and effort that would take. You would have to keep going back to the parks and take resort buses from there I would imagine.

Finally, after looking at all the photos, I also realized how fat I have become over the last year so maybe the pictures will also be motivation for me getting my butt into shape!!

I have never posted photos on here before so I haven't posted anything along with this but if folks want to offer up some advice on how to do it (I have them saved on Snapfish) then I will give it a shot.

I'm pretty proud of myself for not only pulling it off but also allowing myself the time to do it, instead of running around from park to park and ride to ride like I usually do!

J

Ooh, I want to see your photos! Cool idea- I've never seen any of the resort trees. I'm not sure about snapfish, but most other photo sites will give a tag or code under each photo, which you can just copy and paste into a message here. There's also a sticky note under the "Welcome to the Dis" intro firum that explains how to post photos.

Hi,

I was in WDW for a work conference from 12/4-12/8. The conference was being held at the Marriott World Resort. I couldn't imagine traveling down to Orlando and not staying at a WDW resort so I booked myself at Pop (which I hated but that's a story for another time) and rented a car to get back and forth to the resort.

I received my itinerary a week before my trip and low and behold the first 3 days down were my own. I wasn't due at the conference until the 7th. At the very second I saw it one of my greatest ideas ever came to mind!!

Since I have 3 full days to myself, am traveling solo and have rented a car, why don't I have someone take my picture in front of every single Walt Disney World resort Christmas Tree? The more I thought about it the more I realized that I could pull it off.

So fast forward to my trip. I'm happy and proud to say that I did indeed pull it off, and though it required some time and planning (thought not as much as I thought it would) I pulled it off with relative ease.

Given that there are many resorts that are clustered near other, neighboring resorts, I could knock off 3 or 4 resorts in an hour or two. This was especially true in the Epcot resort area with the BC/YC/BW/Swan and Dolphin and the Magic Kingdon monorail resorts, the GF/Poly/Contemporary and though not a monorail resort, the WL.

The toughest resorts for me to get were the CB, CS and AKL, given that they are pretty much in solo locations. POR, POFQ and Saratoga Springs were done in a snap, as was the quickest trip of all, the All Stars. They were super easy because they were within yards of each other.

All I did was ask a Cast Member at each resort to take my picture and why. The response was almost always the same, "Oh, that is a great idea!!". It really was super easy.

The funniest part of all was that once I thought I was done I came to realize, on my way off of property to the airport, that I had never taken a picture of the resort I was staying at, Pop (guess that shows how little I thought of it) so before I left property I zipped on over and made that my one last picture.

Once I got home I realized that a couple were a bit blurry (Dolphin, POFQ) but everything else came out great.

I would say for others who may want to give it a try that a rental car is a must. I guess you could pull it off with the bus system but I can't imagine how much time and effort that would take. You would have to keep going back to the parks and take resort buses from there I would imagine.

Finally, after looking at all the photos, I also realized how fat I have become over the last year so maybe the pictures will also be motivation for me getting my butt into shape!!

I have never posted photos on here before so I haven't posted anything along with this but if folks want to offer up some advice on how to do it (I have them saved on Snapfish) then I will give it a shot.

I'm pretty proud of myself for not only pulling it off but also allowing myself the time to do it, instead of running around from park to park and ride to ride like I usually do!

J

That was a very cool idea indeed! SO do we get the chance to see any of the pics? or are they for your eyes only:rolleyes1

SN: just read that you did not know how to post them.....looking for that info..

There are instructions for posting pics on here - but of course I can't seem to find them right now. You used to have to use Photobucket to transfer pics to The DIS, not sure if that's still the case or not. You have to copy the IMG string to paste onto here.

Good luck figuring it out because I want to see them!

Did you get one from Fort Wilderness... I didn't see it mentioned in your post?

Good for you! We tried it do it, but it was going to take up too much time. We got the resorts that we ate at.
Each of the parks had decorated tree's in the front before the entrance to the turn stiles. So we got those too. AK was decorated in what appeared to be hand carved animals. The one by World of Disney in DTD was decorated with toys and Scrabble tiles. Pretty cool in the scrap book!

To post pictures using a site like Snapfish, Photobucket, etc. make sure that the pictures are set to public. Upload them to the photo hosting site. Most sites will give you an IMG code for the image and/or a clickable picture. Copy the IMG code. Use the button on the DIS that looks like a little moutain with a yellow background "Insert Image" which will give you a pop-up box. Paste your IMG code into that box, close box and you are done. If you haven't resized your photos on the image hosting site it might be a good idea to just post the clickable image as opposed to the actual image.

HTH

DH has a pro Flickr account, and I tried the IMG code and the link using the "insert image" button, but neither one worked...however, they have a BB Code, and that worked. I just post the code right into my message.

Just thought I would mention that, in case anyone uses Flickr.

Did you get one from Fort Wilderness... I didn't see it mentioned in your post?

Hi,

I actually never even thought of Fort Wilderness, it just never entered my mind. I guess because I don't think of it as a "resort" though I guess it is.

Sorry about that!! Will have to get one there next year for my yearly conference!

J

For those of us who did not get to see any of the resort trees, please post your pictures :worship: I love the idea, btw and think you should put all the photos in a table book to take out each year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter