A Photo Safari Halloween Solo Trip for Oct'13: Trip Report Started!

I'm hopelessly behind both your TR and now your PTR but I wanted to pop in and let you know that I can't wait to throw my two cents in for photo ideas ... I just have to thing of something photo worthy!

I'm glad you are focusing on what you do so well with the awesome photos! :)

I'm hopelessly behind both your TR and now your PTR but I wanted to pop in and let you know that I can't wait to throw my two cents in for photo ideas ... I just have to thing of something photo worthy!

I'm glad you are focusing on what you do so well with the awesome photos! :)

Hi Brenda! Welcome back home, and I hope you had good trips! Let me know of your ideas for the photos when you can! Still got 5 months to figure this out. :goodvibes

Hi there! We're going to be down there at the same time(ish) 10/25-11/1. I'm a (learning) photographer and so I'm def. subscribing to your PTR because I've been thinking a lot about photographing all things Disney. Your pictures are gorgeous. One of my favorite things about photography is capturing all of the details that so many people overlook and you capture them so well.

I know this sounds odd and I'm not even sure we *CAN* do this (or if you'd want to), but my husband, son and I have a late night (8:45pm) ADR for BOG on Saturday 10/26. We're very laid back and love meeting new people. I don't know if I can/could, but if you're interested, I'll look into seeing if I can get the ADR changed to add a fourth to our table! I'd hate for you to miss out on dinner at *THE* new place to be seen (and miss out on your picture, too!).

Too bad it didnt' work out, but that was a nice gesture. That's what is so great about people on the DIS. And a little thing known as Hoosier Hospitality. :thumbsup2

Too bad it didnt' work out, but that was a nice gesture. That's what is so great about people on the DIS. And a little thing known as Hoosier Hospitality. :thumbsup2

Totally agree :thumbsup2 Which is also why I love meeting DIS friends whenever I can when our paths cross at WDW!

Hi!

First of all, what are you shooting? The contrast in some of those photos is amazing. :love: I shoot black and white on an antique 35mm, mostly for artistic, eerie shots. I go for atmosphere, or even atmos-fear, not capturing life.

With that in mind the one photo I’ve always wanted but never got: The headless horseman just before the Boo to you parade, from street level. Other suggestions: Odd angles of the Haunted Mansion headstones, and because of that amazing contrast, if you could get some of the fog effects and colored lights around the mansion I’d be hella jealous.

We’re planning our 9th MNSSHP for the time when you’ll be there. Maybe we’ll bump into each other and get to talk cameras!

Hi!

First of all, what are you shooting? The contrast in some of those photos is amazing. :love: I shoot black and white on an antique 35mm, mostly for artistic, eerie shots. I go for atmosphere, or even atmos-fear, not capturing life.

Hi and :welcome: Happy to see you here! The pictures from our last trip were mostly taken with a Canon Rebel T2i and a 17-55mm f2.8 lens. Some of the shots for the stage shows were taken with an 85mm f1.8 lens. If you click on my Flickr link from one of the pictures, there are more from our trip in my photostream or if you're interested, most of the pictures were posted on my TR with the link in my signature. :goodvibes A couple of months ago, I was able to upgrade my camera body to a Canon 7D. I'm extremely excited about trying it out for our next trip! :cool1:

With that in mind the one photo I’ve always wanted but never got: The headless horseman just before the Boo to you parade, from street level. Other suggestions: Odd angles of the Haunted Mansion headstones, and because of that amazing contrast, if you could get some of the fog effects and colored lights around the mansion I’d be hella jealous.

I love these ideas! I will add them to my list! I've been trying to figure out the best way to capture the Headless Horseman. Since I'm going to be seeing the parade twice, I think I'll be able to experiment with a couple of different looks. I think he would look really good with the Frontierland background compared to the Main Street background. I'm also playing around with the idea leaving the shutter open slightly longer with a curtain flash so I can get the streaking light effects from the lit up pumpkin he'll be carrying. And I will definitely be clicking away in and around HM - from the pictures I saw online the lighting effects for the party look awesome!

We’re planning our 9th MNSSHP for the time when you’ll be there. Maybe we’ll bump into each other and get to talk cameras!

Would love to! Which day are you heading out to MNSSHP? Have you settled on a costume (if any)?

A Sunrise Over Crescent Lake

Even though we’ve been to Disney many times, Crescent Lake and its surrounding building still feel foreign to me. Sort of like Downtown Disney. We haven’t spent much time here. This will be the first time I’m staying at one of the resorts along the lake and I am very excited. I have a hard time sleeping in during our Disney trips. Probably because of the anticipation of what the day will bring and my mind racing ahead in time about the breakfast ADR and the first ride we will hit at rope drop. My eyes always seem to open before 6am. I don’t know yet exactly where I would like to take the sunrise photos but will figure it out once I get there and get a chance to scope out the scenery.

I have to work for the entire 3 day weekend but these two things have put me in a good mood for this evening. First, the non-Disney news that Universal Studios Orlando is recreating the town of Springfield as part of it's Simpsons Expansion!! :cool1::cool1::cool1: This is seriously making me consider finding some time in October to make visit to Universal!

Second, there is a live video stream of Main Street from the Train Station for today's Monstrous Summer event at MK. I'm making plans to put up that video on my computer starting at 9pm to catch some glimpses of MSEP, followed by Wishes!! The only bad thing is that there's no sound. :sad2:

Here's the link for my DIS friends!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/monstrous-summer-all-nighter-livestream/

I'm glad my offer wasn't as weird as I was afraid it might be. It's too bad that we couldn't make it work. You'll have loads of fun at DHS though. I couldn't believe that we got the ADR (less than 180 days out), I was pretty shocked. I'm excited that our ADR is so late (8:45) because with the park closing at 9, I'm hoping that crowds will be smaller on our way out and we can get some cool pictures as we leave.

I'm from Fort Wayne. My husband is from Hobart (near Crown Point, NWI). We're probably going to go on the 25th, I keep playing around with either the 25th or the 27th.

My biggest challenge with photography is the actual "book learning" aspect of it. I would much rather play with it and just teach myself through trial and error, but I know I'm likely missing some great photo opportunities because I just don't know how to do it the "right way". I do a lot of portraits for family and friends, but I love when I get to play and just take detail shots. I'm torn on bringing our simple (but effective) point and shoot camera to get the pictures I want vs bringing the DSLR to get the really good shots. I'm worried that if I bring the good stuff, I'll become too focused on the trip from behind the camera and not live in the moment.

I'm glad my offer wasn't as weird as I was afraid it might be. It's too bad that we couldn't make it work. You'll have loads of fun at DHS though. I couldn't believe that we got the ADR (less than 180 days out), I was pretty shocked. I'm excited that our ADR is so late (8:45) because with the park closing at 9, I'm hoping that crowds will be smaller on our way out and we can get some cool pictures as we leave.

I'm from Fort Wayne. My husband is from Hobart (near Crown Point, NWI). We're probably going to go on the 25th, I keep playing around with either the 25th or the 27th.

My biggest challenge with photography is the actual "book learning" aspect of it. I would much rather play with it and just teach myself through trial and error, but I know I'm likely missing some great photo opportunities because I just don't know how to do it the "right way". I do a lot of portraits for family and friends, but I love when I get to play and just take detail shots. I'm torn on bringing our simple (but effective) point and shoot camera to get the pictures I want vs bringing the DSLR to get the really good shots. I'm worried that if I bring the good stuff, I'll become too focused on the trip from behind the camera and not live in the moment.

If you end up with doing MNSSHP on the 27th, let me know! That's when I'm planning on attending.

I completely understand where you're coming from with what you said about photography. I've been mostly self teaching myself by trying things out as you said. I found out that I really learn the most after I take the pictures and review them on my computer as I find things or certain aspects that need improvement. That's when I pull out the books or do online searches to figure out what I can do to improve it and then try to apply it the next time I go out again with my camera.

I think you'll be fine bringing your DSLR. That's what I did during our last trip and I still got to enjoy the time with my family and appreciate the experience. I think as a parent you'll probably find it easier to find that right balance between when to go behind the lens and when to spend face to face time with your family. If you notice, most of my pictures were taken during my solo tour times or when the kids were preoccupied by someone else (DW, DFIL, or one of the characters) or an attraction (shows, parades, rides). And I was very glad that I had my DSLR with me to capture the kids expressions and reactions that my point and shoot would have failed miserably doing so. The best example of this was when DD and DFIL rode BTMRR for the very first time. I sat in the row in front of them by myself while the two sat together. During the entire ride, I had myself turned around facing them with my DSLR and captured some precious reactions of DD.

If the Simpsons thing isn't enough reason, I'd want to go to Universal to see the new Transformers ride.

If the Simpsons thing isn't enough reason, I'd want to go to Universal to see the new Transformers ride.

:thumbsup2

I don't know if I will be able to find time to go Universal unless I miss out on my conference activities. I'll have to see how things go but really wish there was a way to do this.

Big Thunder Mountain from Tom Sawyer’s Island

It’s been at least a couple of years since I’ve set foot on the Island. The last time was in January 2011. DD (4 at the time) and I stayed in MK for that afternoon while my parents, DW, and DD who was only 1 at the time went back to our rooms for a nap and a break. I took DD on the raft over to the island and she had a fun time exploring the trails while avoiding the caves. When we reached the fort, I remember there was walking trail along the riverside lined by a couple of canons and facing Big Thunder Mountain. DD and I watched several trains zoom through a short stretch of tracks that were visible from where we were standing. She was pretty fascinated by the scene and was perfectly content that we were watching from a certain distance. I would like to go back on the island for this upcoming trip just to stroll through and find this same spot. Hoping to also take the time and sit by the waterside at Aunt Polly’s.

If you end up with doing MNSSHP on the 27th, let me know! That's when I'm planning on attending.

Even if we don't go to MNSSHP on the 27th, we're going to be at the MK that day. Maybe we can meet up during the 3 hour overlap between when you can get in and when I have to leave.

I've got a couple months to think about it, but I'll keep pondering about taking the Dslr along for the ride. The nice part about DS being so small is that anything we would want to ride that would be bad for the camera (RnR or EE, for example), he won't be able to ride. Not only can we do rider switch, we can also do camera switch, lol.

Even if we don't go to MNSSHP on the 27th, we're going to be at the MK that day. Maybe we can meet up during the 3 hour overlap between when you can get in and when I have to leave.

We absolutely should! I'm probably going to be entering MK between 5 and 5:30pm that day after coming back from conference.

I've got a couple months to think about it, but I'll keep pondering about taking the Dslr along for the ride. The nice part about DS being so small is that anything we would want to ride that would be bad for the camera (RnR or EE, for example), he won't be able to ride. Not only can we do rider switch, we can also do camera switch, lol.

:thumbsup2

Carrying around the DSLR in the parks even with children turned out to be a lot easier than I had imagined. Most of the time I had my camera out using a cross shoulder strap that leaves the camera resting on the side of my hip or back (www.blackrapid.com). This was great because the camera was always tucked away when I wasn't using it and I had two hands completely free to help out the kids. I also took a backpack that had plenty of camera/lens compartments as well as compartments for stuff for the kids which worked out great when I did put the camera away. I think the only time I did this was for RnRc and the back pack rested on my foot during the ride without any problems. (http://www.kata-bags.us/dr-467-dl-for-1-2-dslr-w-mounted-lens-3-4-lenses-flash-ktdl-dr-467).

Even on some of the fast thrill rides I was able to have my camera out and in some cases took pictures during the ride without problems although I did have a deathgrip on the camera during EE. Here's a very lucky shot of Mr. Yeti I got during the ride without a flash - the strobe lights from the ride itself actually ended up providing the perfect lighting.

IMG_5987 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Indy and the Golden Idol
I have yet to have seen Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular at DHS. And I love the Indiana Jones movies! Ok, maybe not the last one with the alien skulls. That script should have stayed in Lucas’ closet or locked up in the indestructible fridge that can survive a nuclear blast. ;) We probably haven’t gotten around to seeing this because of the kids. I’m still trying to ease DD into the world of Star Wars and the ever so menacing Vader. So, this trip I’m going to make time for this. It will be an evening/night showing as part of the private event for the conference at DHS and the promotion specifically mentions this show as being available! I’ve been avoiding spoilers about the show although I’m pretty sure it replicates the famous action scenes from the movies (probably most from Raiders of the Lost Ark?). And I’ve seen a few pictures of Indy hovering over the Golden Idol before he decides to snatch it. Will have my telezoom lens (or my “CIA Lens” as one of my uncle-in-laws call it) ready to go and hopefully a front and center seat!

Here's how my plans are shaping up!

Dates: 10/26/2013 - 10/30/2013
Resort: Beach Club
Park Tickets: 2 Day with Park Hopper and one ticket for MNSSHP
Rental Car: Dollar from MCO

I've been debating whether to rent a car or not but with the conference located at Orange County Convention Center and the shuttle service being "limited" per the conference brochure, I decided to go ahead and rent one to save me some time and gain more flexibility with my scheduling.

Saturday, 10/26/2013 (Arrival Day): DHS private event in the evening

IMG_6083-2 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

I'll head to the convention center straight from the airport to attend some sessions. I'll plan to check in at Beach Resort afterwards then head over to the DHS for the private event the conference has put together! Hoping to spend some quality time on my favorite attractions including 5 of my favorite ghosts!

Sunday, 10/27/2013: MNSSHP at MK!

After another day of conference, I'll be attending my very first MNSSHP! Can't wait to see the parade, shows, and fireworks! And looking forward to soaking up the Halloween atmosphere at the Haunted Mansion!

IMG_6686 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Monday, 10/28/2013: AK EMH AM + MK at night

The plans for this day are still in the air as I haven't quite decided how I want to do things. But for now, I'm planning on heading over to AK for an 8am EMH opening and spend the morning there.

IMG_5524 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Will head out to the Convention Center after lunch for the afternoon to attend a couple of sessions. Then for the evening, I'll head over to MK primarily to watch MSEP and Wishes. So far the closing time is listed at 11pm but based on past history it looks like there's a good chance they will extend closing to 12am and possibly add a second MSEP which would even better for my plans!

IMG_7236 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Tuesday, October 29th: MK and Epcot

I'll be spending the entire day at the Parks this day. The conference is winding down and I just couldn't find enough sessions. Soooo, will plan on spending the morning and lunch at MK. If I don't get an ADR for dinner, this is the day I will go for lunch at BOG.

IMG_6736 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Then, will head over to Epcot for the afternoon and evening including Illuminations.

IMG_6210 by DaveinFallsChurch, on Flickr

Wednesday, October 30th: Departure Day, so I don't have anything planned other than a breakfast and then heading out to the airport in the morning.

We'll also be at MK for rope drop on the 29th since it's our last day in the parks. :thumbsup2 It looks like you will be getting in a decent amount of park time during the conference!

We'll also be at MK for rope drop on the 29th since it's our last day in the parks. :thumbsup2 It looks like you will be getting in a decent amount of park time during the conference!

I'm trying very hard not to turn Monday into an all day parks day. :lmao:

I had to see the opening ceremony at MK since we missed it last time. :thumbsup2 for another overlapping day in the parks with you! I'm thinking about having breakfast at Kona before rope drop if you're interested in some Tonga Toast.

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Just realized while looking at the calendar that I'm less than a week away before the conference hotel registration opens!! I'm getting the same butterflies in the stomach feel as I do when ADRs open up for an upcoming trip. Hoping that I won't have any problems booking a room at Beach Club and that most of the conference attendees are not obsessed with Disney as much as I am!

Another Photo Safari Item has been added below!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter