• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Perky Disneymoon?

spridle777

Earning My Ears
So... my fiance and I are longtime Disney fans and are going to Disney World for our honeymoon in October. I've googled and searched all over to find out whether to wear the bride/groom ears or not. As much a fan of the mouse as my fiance is, he's not a fan of wearing the hat all day, and carrying it when he's not wearing it. It's easier for us girls, with the head band :laughing:

Anyway, what's the latest on the perks? Is it worth spending 50 bucks for the top hat and headband for us? Will we get perks wearing just the pins? I know people say that these days, there are so many newlyweds and even anniversary celebraters walking around, we might not really stand out anyway. Any thoughts from anyone? I dont want to spend the money on the hats if it just means we'll be one of like 50 couples there celebrating and we get like one free cookie for it. What should we do?

Thanks y'all!

Since "freebies" arent guaranteed, you probably shouldnt purchase the ears. Buy them if you really want to wear them, not because you expect free things. I personally will not be wearing them because I think they would be annoying, I think a cm who would do something special for ears is the same cm who would do something for a pin. Its however they feel at that moment.

My DH and I were married this past November in Disney. We wore our bridal ears all the time. Not sure about the perks but we just loved wearing them. Of course we got alot of congrats and a few free desserts and a couple of fastpasses (without having to get them with our tickets). We were also given special seats at the Nemo show in AK. If you are looking for freebies not sure what you will get but we just loved wearing them.

Here we are at dinner at the castle the night after our wedding.

CastleDinner001-1.jpg

CastleDinner003.jpg

And one from our reception with Mickey and Minnie and our bridal party.

602b2f4a.jpg

Linda

My DF and I are also going to WDW for our honeymoon in October and I can't wait to get my bridal Minnie ears! I did a WDW College Program a few years ago and ever since then I couldn't wait to wear them! Personally, I dont' care if we 'get' anything, I'm just so excited to be there with my new husband!

Have a great trip! :)

i can tell you that this issue is big in our house as well. My bride to be has gone out and bought the top hat/headband already since we work near the disney store in NYC and she hates the new ones they have at the park.

I personally hate it, but she really likes it and because of that I'll wear the hat for a while(FYI-guys with big heads will have trouble with the hat, it barely fits me). I wouldnt worry about freebies or anything like that, I do think it looks cute in photos and after all is is one of the special things that you can only do at disney.

Try to compromise, tell him you'll only make him wear it for a little while(like the day after the wedding or the night of). You both do not have to have it on to get the smiles and the congrats you get at the parks. We got engaged there and I dint really wear the pins we got, but she did and we got the extra smiles wherer ever we went. Hope this helps.

My DH didn't like the top hat either (no shade!), so we made mouse ear baseball caps instead. We got a lot of attention - mostly from people wanting to know where we bought them! :rotfl:

IMG_5947.jpg

Personally, I dont' care if we 'get' anything, I'm just so excited to be there with my new husband!

I agree! well said :)

If you're buying them/wearing them purely for the perks you just shouldn't bother.

Wearing the bridal ears around WDW is something you really only get to do once in a lifetime....so wear them if thats what you're looking forward to, not for the perks....those are just tiny extras (if you even get any) :wizard:

I agree! well said :)

If you're buying them/wearing them purely for the perks you just shouldn't bother.

Wearing the bridal ears around WDW is something you really only get to do once in a lifetime....so wear them if thats what you're looking forward to, not for the perks....those are just tiny extras (if you even get any) :wizard:

Very well said....:love:

FYI-guys with big heads will have trouble with the hat, it barely fits me.

I thought I'd comment on this one.... We had a 4 1/2 year old Ring Bearer who wore this hat during our ceremony. It was big on him, but not so big that he couldn't wear it, just to give you an idea of how small it is.

Here are some pics to show you
IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

My DH didn't like the top hat either (no shade!), so we made mouse ear baseball caps instead. We got a lot of attention - mostly from people wanting to know where we bought them! :rotfl:

IMG_5947.jpg

I have been meaning to ask you how you made them, DFi is really not the top hat wearing type, but he is really into interesting hats like fedoras or even a baseball hat would be nice.

Love the bride and groom baseball hats!

Love the bride and groom baseball hats!

Thanks! A couple of us on these boards have made them, but I think Disney should sell them!

I have been meaning to ask you how you made them, DFi is really not the top hat wearing type, but he is really into interesting hats like fedoras or even a baseball hat would be nice.

We used cheap bride and groom ball caps I bought as a set for $10 on eBay. For the groom ears, just buy a cheap-o set of classic black mouse ears and cut them off, leaving a bit of the material at the base of them.

We made slits in the sides of the ball cap and pushed the fabric left at the base of the ears through, then covered it on the inside of the cap with black felt that was affixed using Barge, an industrial-strength adhesive they use to put soles on shoes. You can also use contact adhesive/cement made by Dap or 3M (and found at the hardware store). But DH doesn't recommend hot glue because it isn't a strong enough bond.

The bride ears were trickier and more spendy, cuz you have to buy that headband. DH removed the ears, trim and veil, and then affixed the ears to the ball cap the same way he did the groom ears. It's harder because of the sequins. There is a wire loop forming each bride ear, and when you detach the ears from the headband, there is wire at the bottom that can be pushed through the slits in the ball cap, and then covered with felt. When you cut the material off the headband you'll see how the ears are attached to it and maybe be able to reuse that structure. DH used Barge to affix the veil and trim at the top.

:thumbsup2

I think you could buy the new bride cap or one of those "create your own" mouse ear hats to make the bride one without have to spend a zillion dollars on the headband.

Thanks for the DIY tips, Carrie! I'm going in a couple weeks to buy the "parts" to surprise my DF (I'll check the price on just the ears, Lindsay22!), who isn't thrilled with the top hat, but will always wear a baseball hat! This makes it a win-win situation--I get us to wear the ears, and he gets to wear something he's more comfortable with! :thumbsup2

They don't give perks, always thought they got good treatment, geez Disney has to step up to the plate sometimes. :goodvibes My nephew just got engaged and my DH and myself always had taken him to WDW and I was hoping it for them, they're planning a few days there at least.

My DH and I were married this past November in Disney. We wore our bridal ears all the time. Not sure about the perks but we just loved wearing them. Of course we got alot of congrats and a few free desserts and a couple of fastpasses (without having to get them with our tickets). We were also given special seats at the Nemo show in AK. If you are looking for freebies not sure what you will get but we just loved wearing them.

Here we are at dinner at the castle the night after our wedding.

CastleDinner001-1.jpg

CastleDinner003.jpg

And one from our reception with Mickey and Minnie and our bridal party.

602b2f4a.jpg

Linda

BEAUTIFUL! ;)princess:

Thanks, we loved wearing the ears. I was not sure if my DH would want to wear them so I also made baseball caps. I ordered Bride and Groom hats on ebay and had our names embroyered on the back. I added black ears to the groom hat and I also added black ears to the white bride hat. I figured the writing on the white hat was in black so it kind of went. Lurkyloo's were great with the glittery ears but I was fine with the black ears. Honestly, we did not wear them. My DH liked the groom tophat so much he wore that all week and I figured since he was wearing the official ones I would also. I am also not much of a hat wearer so the headband was great for me.

Linda

We also stole Lurkyloo's idea and made ballcaps. My step-dad wanted in on the DIY action though, so we let him pop-rivet the ears on. It worked great!We went with black ears for both caps and then my mom attached a first communion veil to the back of mine. The brims were perfect for the hot sun in early May and we got a lot well-wishes from cast members and guests alike. Thanks for the idea, Lurkyloo!

Oooh - pop-riveting sounds fun! So glad to hear the idea worked for you! :goodvibes

i can tell you that this issue is big in our house as well. My bride to be has gone out and bought the top hat/headband already since we work near the disney store in NYC and she hates the new ones they have at the park.

I personally hate it, but she really likes it and because of that I'll wear the hat for a while(FYI-guys with big heads will have trouble with the hat, it barely fits me). I wouldnt worry about freebies or anything like that, I do think it looks cute in photos and after all is is one of the special things that you can only do at disney.

Try to compromise, tell him you'll only make him wear it for a little while(like the day after the wedding or the night of). You both do not have to have it on to get the smiles and the congrats you get at the parks. We got engaged there and I dint really wear the pins we got, but she did and we got the extra smiles wherer ever we went. Hope this helps.

Hi Tommy!!
When will you be honeymooning? we will be honymooning in December. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter