A Pastry Freak Thread! Where to?

Rememberingthe70s

Old School
Hey Dis Fans,

I'm a self-admitted pastry freak. Pies, cakes, danish, cookies, rolls, strudels, eclairs, turnovers, napoleons, kringles, kolaches ... you name it! (Anyone have a toothache yet?) :lmao:

I know of the few places in Epcot that I adore for pastries (Germany, Norway), but was wondering where else there might be some places for terrific or unusual pastries.

Any favorites?

Thanks! I somehow always forget about the Main Street Bakery.

And, uh, yeah - France=Pastries. Forgot about that. Duh. :upsidedow

In DHS you can go to the Starring Rolls Bakery by the Brown Derby

Starring Rolls in DHS. Also Kringla in Norway at Epcot, they have the BEST huge almond covered sweet pretzel thingy, LOL! It was so yummy!

The Morocco pavillion has AWESOME baklava. Flaky and not too sweet and small enough portions that you don't feel stuffed afterwards.

Starring Rolls in DHS. Also Kringla in Norway at Epcot, they have the BEST huge almond covered sweet pretzel thingy, LOL! It was so yummy!

O that sweet almond pretzel, I will be getting one of those in less then a month even though the Food & Wine Festival treats will be all around. And maybe a school bread unless it has shrunk even more.

:hippie::cool1::hippie:

I think we need some pics here people lol

I have to say I love the Cheese Danishes @ CBR and....
I really didn't think I'd like it b/c I don't like coconut, but since everyone here on the DIS said "you have to try it" so I did, SCHOOL HOUSE BREAD!!! OMG, the most yummiest thing ever!

And I also really enjoyed the Chocolate Wave @ Coral Reef

We love Kringla in the Norway pavilion(yummy school bread!) and also the bakery at the French pavilion (Napoleons and Fruit Tarts!) for our pastry treats!

I was going to suggest these two too. Starring Rolls has the biggest cupcakes you will ever see and at Kringla Bakery in Norway I LOVE to get the Creamed Horn :love:

I'm not huge on the truly fattening, scary stuff*, but I've always loved the fruit tarts at Norway. We also get strong cravings for warm chocolate chip cookies on Main St, at the end of a long night of hard park touring.

Another place that can be fun to stop by is the Boardwalk Bakery. A few doors down is the confectionary/ice cream shop. Not what it once was, but they have some stuff.

In HS, if you go into the Villains shop, at least it's still called that, it no longer has much villian stuff, or didn't last July, they have a candy shop area. It's sort of like Main St., but smaller. Comparatively fresh stuff (avoid, for example the prepackaged rice crispie treats.)

They changed the Mins St Confectionary shop, but they still make some stuff there.

In addition to Starring Rolls, there's a small place, less well known in HS. I think it's called Writer's Stop. It's over by the ABC Commisary. They only have a few items, but there's hardly ever a line, unlike Starring Rolls.

I have to think the two ultimate places on property are the GF's Bakery and The Candy Cauldron in DTD. Never mind Goofy's sweets. The Candy Cauldron with it's candy apple/Snow White theme is the ultimate in awesome theming! The GF Bakery, as I understand it, is pretty much for weddings and the like - but MAN! - they make some AMAZING wedding cakes!

Some folks like Ghiradelli in DTD. I think their chocolate has an odd burnt taste to it, but to each his own.

If you like sweets...you may well enjoy staying club level in most of the deluxes. From about 8-10pm every night they put out trays of sweets. guests are allowed to help themselves. You also get cordials at that hour, coffee, tea and soft drinks. There are other offerings during the day. the desserts are very similar to the small desserts they have at the character buffets on property.

Other places that have some amazing treats are the so-called 'signature' dining places. Offers vary by season. Although the rest of the food (and the service) is just so-so, the desserts at Cali Grill are often excellent. Other places have better entrees, and also excellent desserts. Don't neglect the kid's desserts in these places either. Dessert chef's change locations, but several places have had a kid's chocolate puzzle that they can paint. It's a super cute dessert if you can find it. I last saw it at Flying Fish, I think.

Kona Cafe used to have some cool desserts. I haven't been there for a few years, so I don't know what it's like now. LAst I was ther they had cut back like every where else on property. They used to have a decorated ice cream cone dessert that had cotton candy clouds.

*(To me, the new craze of frying foods that were never meant to be fried is just revolting. The idea of fried cheese danish, for example is repulsive. A fine dessert to me is a bowl of very fresh berries)

Ooh, if you like fresh fruit, consider the Pepper Market. They have a fresh fruit bar, and a bread/pastry cart (come to think of it). It's one of few plces on operty that you can buy a big bowl of strawberries. (at least you could the last time I was there.)

I have to say I love the Cheese Danishes @ CBR and....

Having eaten a few cheese danishes last week (What can I say? ;) Guilty pleasure, I guess, plus worked well as a snack credit for breakfast that I could get quickly before hopping on a bus) I believe you'll find that these are the same almost everywhere. One food court's cheese danish is just like another, I believe, and probably beyond that. Even when I was in Main Street Bakery, everything I saw displayed in the morning (including the cheese danishes again) looked just like what was in the bakery case at ASMu food court, except for the cinnamon rolls or whatever they were that they appeared to be cutting fresh.

All the suggestions sound good though. Wish I could go back next week and try them! ;)

The bakery at BW looks awesome!!!!!!!! Have gone to boulangerie patiserre and wasn't impress. Norway from what I hear it goood.

Love all the places mentions but it always seems I come back to the room with a bunch of to-go boxes of goodies from Starring Rolls...once I get in there I need more than one thing! :lovestruc

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions!

Although ... now I'm tempted to just go around to the different parks eating pastries all day! :rolleyes1

Yes, you easily could at WDW. It's a good thing we can also walk all day too, and burn off some of the extra calories....

One thing that helps keep me eating pastry in moderation is the memory of trying to actually make pastry at home. Every time I hear specifically the word "pastry" though it reminds me of all the rolling and butter layering. I realize you mean pastry in the broader sense, but here I'm talking about the word pastry and danish in the specific sense.

Essentially, you roll the dough, slather it with butter, fold it up, roll it out again, later it with butter again, fold it up again, a repeat. The pastry called "Mille-feulle" means literally, one thousand leaves - for how many times you make butter layers- as described above. You don't literally make 1000 layers, but quite a few. Most pastry/danish actually uses like phyllo dough, but essentially it's kind of the same. You take the very thin sheets of pasta and put butter - or worse - margarine/hydrogentated oils - on each layer. ("Mille feulle" is also commonly called a Napoleon, but most danish dough essentially follows the same basic method. ) It's just such a grease fest! pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter