A Not So "Magical" Trip this week

We made our first trip to DL at the end of May. I've been to WDW 22 times. I too was surprised by the CM's. No one was directly cold or rude to us but their actions seemed so not Disney.

• We saw a CM come around the counter from her cart to plant a kiss on her boyfriend. It wasn't a peck either.
  • We were dining and overheard two CM complaining about the shifts they were assigned and that someone else was treated better and got longer breaks.
  • We were dining another day and overheard CM complaining that a particular table was drinking too much water.
  • CM arriving/leaving work in costume. I'm guessing that is truly a DL vs WDW thing as WDW has the underground "city".
  • I had a CM drop/break the ornament I was purchasing. It was the end of the night and we were heading back to the hotel. It was the last one on the floor and she told me the store was too busy to see if there was one in inventory. She was nice and smiling, not rude. She suggested I try another store on Main Street. That one blew me away.

I wouldn't say it was anything that ruined our trip. But I will admit that it made me feel that the CM at WDW are slightly more magical. Of course that hasn't prevented us from going to DL as we are able to drive from Utah. We are actually going back at the end of the month.

I'm surprised to hear this, because we were there this week, too (Tuesday night was our first day) and we had the opposite experience! We had great cast members (except one bus driver, but hey not everyone can be happy), and saw characters EVERYWHERE. Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Pooh, and Cruella, Pinocchio, Gepetto, and I know there were more. My kids are terrified of them, so we didn't stop, but we saw them all over the place. I'm so sorry you had a tough time. This was our first holiday visit, too, and I was enthralled. I wish you had the same experience, because I know how much I built it up in my mind!

We were there the same week--and we had the same experience! Lots of characters, great CM interaction, and certainly no trash laying around.

:confused3

We were there from 12/4-12/8 and stayed at the DLH. We were there for both our grandkids' birthdays. The CMs at the hotel check in and small gift shop were great. Several other CMs really helped make our stay more magical. It was a bit odd that most of the other CMs would not acknowledge or speak to us unless we initiated the conversation or acknowledged them first. It seemed a bit like a "burn out" or just different customer service training and priorities than WDW. There did seem to be a bit of disgruntlement on behalf of the employees.

Did it ruin our trip? Heck no. Will we continue to go back to both DL and WDW? Of course.

I remember back in the 80s when a messy park was more par for the course, and when I was there last there were some moments when a stand-offish or rude cast member put a damper on my mood. I do expect more than average from Disney, and with what they charge, I feel it is justified. Humans have every right to be tired, especially when the days are too long and they don't have enough down time to recuperate, so I point the figure to the high management and think they should plan better, they are the best in the business!

Interestingly, when a park is messy and the cast member is rude, you can bet I don't buy. I may go, but I won't spring for a stuffed animal, or extra snack, or a t-shirt. Anyone else feel the same?

I'm sorry to hear you were somewhat disappointed with your DL experience.

We went for the first time just last month and we have nothing bad to say about anything, really.

My husband is still talking about how clean the park was; we didn't see a piece of trash all day. It's got to be hard to keep a place that welcomes in tens of thousands of visitors every day spotless every single day of the year.

Well I guess it just goes to show that even Disney isn't perfect. They are pretty darn close though, or always have been in my experience. Like I said I may have gone in with pretty high expectations considering the conference I was attending the next day behind the History of their Leadership and "magic.
" I just talked to another co-worker of mine that happened to be there the day after us. His son is in a wheelchair and had on a Make A Wish Foundation shirt. He shared with me that they definitely did not feel the magic either. The way he described it is that many of the CM's seemed more "inconvenienced" by their presence. That's exactly how I would have to describe it as well. I would have expected A LOT more with his son, he said the best was just from the person at the gate, other than that...they felt like they were in the way all day. Such a shame. He's had the great experiences there, and then there was this time. Like me, it certainly doesn't change his feelings about DL, but it just took some of the magic you've grown to expect from Disney. I'll be writing a letter, but not to criticize, just point out my observations positively. A place like Disney wants that type of feedback.

I'm glad you're taking the time to write a letter.

For me, The CM interactions are such a major part of the reason I enjoy Disney so much. The difference between a happy, contented, well trained CM and one who is not is glaringly obvious at Disney more than of workers anywhere else.

I want the CM's to enjoy their work and I think that's the responsibility of management to ensure.

Hence, I think feedback is very important...both positive and negative. :thumbsup2

If I lived near Disneyland, I'd apply for a job there in a heartbeat. All of the CM's that we encountered were great, we had no complaints. Just like the rest of us, every work day is not a great day, so even if someone was a little lackluster, I wouldn't let that ruin my trip. They are just people like the rest of us, even if they are working at the Happiest Place on Earth.

My concern is that people are being such slobs there! Where are the parents? It is up to us to do our share. Also, I bet if we started to pick something up that wasn't our garbage and put it in the trash, others would (including the cast members). I'm not suggesting any hazardous stuff, but an empty container and such.

We returned from a 5 day visit from Dec 5 to Dec 9. We had a wonderful magical time. The decorations (our first holiday trip) were amazing! I also by Day 2 said "where are the characters?", but then on the remaining days saw many! We did have a few CM issues, but these could be issues I magnified due to my circumstances.

1) Unhelpful bellman at California Grand Hotel. We had ordered baby equipment to be delivered from a third party vendor and he said it wasn't the back room. This lead me to call the vendor. The same bellman badmouthed our vendor and said they must of delivered it to the wrong hotel. I said I received an email that it had been delivered and after some polite disagreements I got another bellman who immediately located the items in the back room.

2) We have a 11 month old. He was sound asleep. We stood in line for 45 minutes for Alice in Wonderland ride. The CM said the baby could not sit on our lap. I said he can't sit on the seat, he's asleep plus he'll fall over sitting in the slippery seat. She was just outright rude and unfeeling about it. She wouldn't let us baby rider switch either. So DH put him in the seat (asleep) and as soon as the ride left put him on his lap. I feel the baby was safer being held. When we returned the same CM let us off and saw the baby on DH's lap......what a glare!!!!

3) We wanted to ride in front on the Monorail. CM said only 4 can ride. We are 2 adults, 1 child and technically 2 infants (2 year old and 11 month old).
I felt that since the 2 little ones would be on our laps that this wouldn't be an issue. We saw a family getting out of the front with 5 (similar ages) they must have gotten on in Downtown Disney. The CM was borderline rude and had us take 2 separate rides.

4) Our tour guide for the Holiday Tour was good, but when it came to the parade I walked up to 4 seats, put my daughter in one and stood by the others and said I was holding them for my DH who was bringing up the end of the tour with our 11 month old. A family of three walked up and sat in the seats I wanted. I said I was saving them for my DH who parking the stroller. They looked right through me. I went to the tour guide who only asked the Tour if someone would let our little ones sit in the front row. She said she couldn't cause a conflict with the tour guests. No one gave up their seats. We all sat in the second row and my 2 year old and 5 year old had trouble seeing with the tall people in front.

It was more about how CM's handle the policies and provide guest service.
We did have a super time and will go back next year!

No offense, but why would you take a baby on a ride? I mean, 2+ I get, but 11 months old? And asleep? They have regulations on the rides for a reason. They should have let you do the baby swap thing, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter