A Mostly Solo, Resort Hopping Extravaganza - A February 2016 PTR

Carathryn

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone and welcome to my first pre trip report! This trip is coming up really soon and some people may wonder what the point of writing a PTR this late is. But this helps me finish my planning and if I can get any help that would be fantastic!

Introduction:
I am relatively new to this posting stuff but I have been a long time reader on the Dis. This trip is coming up really quickly but I thought I would throw my plans up here and see if anyone has any suggestions. I also just finished my first trip report for our January DL trip if anyone wants to check that out and get to know me better. (Plug in shameless link here http://www.disboards.com/threads/ar...6-dl-trip-report-final-thoughts-2-12.3477782/ )

First, a little bit about me. My name is Cara and I am addicted to Disney. The first time I visited a Disney park was as a teenager and I quickly became hooked and started finding ways to budget for future trips. In the last 6 years I have been to DLR five times and WDW three times.

rsz_1img_3539.jpg
MNSSHP October 2015- AKA The most magical night ever

Here are some of my Disney favorites.

Favorite Disney movies- Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Monsters Inc
Favorite Princess- Belle
Favorite character (non princess)- James P. Sullivan
Favorite Disney parks- Disneyland, Animal Kingdom
Favorite Disney rides- Pirates of the Caribbean (DL version), Expedition Everest, Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Along for part of the ride is my Disney enabler, my mother.

img_4145.jpg
Here we are on the first trip that started this obsession.

img_4776.jpg

And here is my mom with her beloved Dole Whip float last month.

Here are some of her Disney favorites.

Favorite Disney movies- Frozen, Monsters Inc.
Favorite Princess- Snow White
Favorite character (non princess)- Goofy
Favorite Disney parks- Magic Kingdom
Favorite Disney rides- Tower of Terror

This trip is a mostly solo one. The excuse to go back to the World even though we were just there in October is my mom will be in Orlando for a work event that weekend. I am going down two days before her because flights were cheaper for me that way, and cheaper flights is a solid justification for spending more time and money at Disney right? After two days on property I am moving to the free hotel room my mom has and then we are finishing off the trip with a magical stay at my dream Disney resort.

This trip is going to be different for several reasons.

I am staying at my first value hotel.
I am staying at my first deluxe hotel.

The past two trips we have stayed at Coronado Springs. I love this resort. I have only been twice but it is my Disney home. The grounds are beautiful and I even have an alligator friend here.

img_3135.jpg
I love the quiet, peaceful morning at CS.

img_3436.jpg
I may have to stop by CS just to visit this little guy.

Our last trip though we both fell in love with the Poly. We spent hours there, enjoying Trader Sam’s, lapu lapus, ‘Ohana, and the beach.

img_3255.jpg

Hanging out waiting for a boat.

img_3249.jpg
Trader Sam's

img_3668.jpg
Getting ready to meet the new love of my breakfast life, tonga toast.

When my mom said we could squeeze in an extra day and stay on property I figured we would stay at a moderate or the cheapest deluxe hotel room we could find. My mom then surprised me by not only booking a room at the Poly, but booking a Club level, theme park view room! She got a really good deal and although we couldn’t afford this for several nights, it will be a very special treat. My mom fell in love with club level during our DL stay last month and the cast member didn’t have to work too hard to convince her to stay CL at the Poly. We are going to soak up our first WDW deluxe stay by not going to any parks and seeing how much food we can eat. I don’t think life gets much better than that. So be warned, this trip report will probably entail me rambling on and on about my love for the Poly.

Another first is staying at a value and staying in a hotel by myself for the first time. I flew to Australia by myself and I am comfortable exploring on my own but this is my first time completely flying and staying in a hotel by myself. I am not too worried about it other than my fear of being disappointed by a value resort after staying club level at the Grand Californian last month.

As part of this solo adventure I am also going to explore Magic Kingdom by myself for a day and enjoy a couple table service restaurants as a solo diner.

I have never written a PTR and since this trip is coming up so fast, I thought I would put my plans up here. I will give a general schedule and then go into more details. Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!

Official Trip Details:

What: A WDW resort trip like no other!
When: February 24 - February 29
Where: 2 nights at All Star Sports, 2 nights at Rosen Centre, 1 night at Poly
Who: Me with special appearances by my mom

Last edited:
Here is a list of my current, broad daily plans which could still change:

Wednesday, February 24
Flight leaves Denver at 6:20
Arrive in Orlando late around midnight
Take DME to All Star Sports

Thursday, February 25
Sleep in
Brunch at ‘Ohana at 11:10
Explore Fort Wilderness, maybe rent a bike or something?
Watch fireworks from Poly beach or TTC?
Dinner at 1900 Park Fare at 8:40

Friday, February 26
Hopefully get over to Poly for some tonga toast
See welcome show at MK
Fast pass SDMT 10:20-11:20
Fast pass PPF 11:35-12:35

Lunch at BOG 12:50
Fast pass SM 1:25-2:25
Dinner at Kona Café at 5:20, meeting mom and her coworker here
After Wishes, go back to All Star Sports, get bags and take Uber to Rosen Centre Hotel

Saturday, February 27
No plans at the moment
Dinner at Capone’s dinner show

Sunday, February 28
Check in to the Poly!
Eat dole whip
Drink Lapu Lapu
Dinner at California Grill at 5:40
Desert in club lounge
Watch fireworks from club lounge or beach

Monday, February 29
Explore resorts
DME back to airport for 7:30pm flight

1900 Park Fare

My current problem is dinner at 1900 Park Fare. I really want to meet Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters as well as try strawberry soup, but is this worth the price?
I am looking for an earlier reservation time as I keep making this reservation, then changing my mind and canceling it. If anyone has recent experiences here I would love to hear about them. This seems to be a place that people either love or hate. I am prepared for average buffet food and I would love to meet Lady Tremaine and Prince Charming since they don't meet at MK now. This would also make for two large meals in one day but it is the only time I can schedule 1900 Park Fare and I like the time for the 'Ohana reservation, which is a must do for me. So conflicted!

Resort Hopping Goals

I will have a lot of time without a park ticket and thought I would use it to check off some things from the Disney bucket list. Here is my current must dos. Anything else you guys recommend trying to fit in?

Try a zebra dome at AKL.
Check out Circle-D-Ranch (I am a horse enthusiast)
Finally make it over to the Boardwalk.
Step foot inside the Contemporary (previously I have always just rode the monorail through and have never actually been inside)
Check out Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter (The theming here doesn't really appeal to me but everyone seems to love them? Plus, beignets!)
Get a drink at Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar

Capone's Dinner Show

I am only going here because the conference my mom is helping with is going and I agreed to tag along. Free food and free drinks can't be that bad right? I am a little nervous to be giving up a night at Disney for this. Has anyone ventured off property to see this dinner show? If so, what did you think? In most reviews online, people either seem to love it or hate it.

1900 Park Fair Update

I got a 6:25 ADR, so excited! I can't wait for all of these character interactions.

Love the plans. Lady Tremaine doesn't meet with her daughters in Fantasyland anymore? What a shame. We did the Park Fare dinner and thought the food was decent enough. We had great interaction with Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters. I never could find the strawberry soup when we went, but it was really crowded at the buffet and I was trying to fill plates for my daughter too, so I didn't spend much time looking.

You are doing Ohana and Park Fare in the same day? We did 2 buffets (or all you can eats) our first trip in the same day, and we were too full to enjoy the dinner because we were still full from lunch. However, you might be more sensible and be able to stop at a reasonable amount at Ohana.

We have stayed at Beach Club and Pop Century. My 3 kids liked the value better (2 adults and 1-10 year old). They felt Beach Club was too stuffy and they loved the theming of Pop. The rooms were smaller, so trying to fit 4 comfortably was an issue, but we managed. So, with just you, it should feel fine. Especially since it doesn't look like you are planning to spend all that much time in the room.

We got the beignets at French Quarter. They were good, but we liked DLs better. Everything tastes better if Mickey shaped.

Club level is one of my dreams. Can't wait to hear what it is like at WDW as compared to DLR.

You are going to have fun. It is a bit of a different experience exploring on your own, but my son does it when we are there and seems to really enjoy that time of seeing what he wants to see without having to consider others in the family.

Love the plans. Lady Tremaine doesn't meet with her daughters in Fantasyland anymore? What a shame. We did the Park Fare dinner and thought the food was decent enough. We had great interaction with Lady Tremaine and the stepsisters. I never could find the strawberry soup when we went, but it was really crowded at the buffet and I was trying to fill plates for my daughter too, so I didn't spend much time looking.

You are doing Ohana and Park Fare in the same day? We did 2 buffets (or all you can eats) our first trip in the same day, and we were too full to enjoy the dinner because we were still full from lunch. However, you might be more sensible and be able to stop at a reasonable amount at Ohana.
Lady Tremaine got cut from MK this past week for some reason so now it is just the stepsisters meeting in MK.
I am really hoping I can have the willpower to stop eating at Ohana! This was the only day I could fit in each reservation. I wish I could have got a little earlier Ohana time but I booked at about a month out so I will take what I can get. We will see if I regret it later.

Thanks for making me feel better about my value choice and going solo!
And I agree that Mickey shaped items make everything better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter