• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A lizzard got into our camper as we were...

Disneyforus

Lover of all things Disney
Packing up to leave. Does anyone know
what kind were running all over the campground?
If it survives the drive to MI, I wonder what
we could do with it? Any ideas? My kids
want to keep it of course.

Thanks...

Anoles. We have 4 in the backseat....ssshhh....(safe inside a plastic carrier).;) They eat live food, FYI...before you decide to keep it....if it survives....

Anoles. ... They eat live food, FYI...before you decide to keep it....if it survives....

Glad we didn't take any home - I was tempted. ;)

Actually one of the dogs begged to bring home her very own pet armadillo, but we put the kibosh on that pretty quickly. :rotfl2:

If it were me and I could keep it alive,,I tell everyone it's my pet baby gator I brought back from the Fort.

We have had a couple of those hitch rides home with us (somehow they get into the storage compartments). They never remember to pack their coats so ours have never survived the trip up to MI.

Ahhh...just a little bit of the Sunshine State to take home. No worries, they won't grow into mutant lizards if they find their way into the toilet. Around here life isn't the same if we don't have at least 3 in the house and more in the garage at all times. They also help to give the dog a good exercise.:):)

We took one home a few years back. We had him for about 6 months. We're in far northern Illinois, so probably similar weather to yours. I wasn't sorry to see him go, though - I got tired of getting fresh crickets for him to eat. And then there was the incident where DD let him out of his aquarium and he somehow crawled behind woodwork and got stuck, in the middle of our New Year's Eve party, of course. If I were you, I'd shoo that sucker right out of the camper.

We had a lizard hitch hike back to Virginia Beach with us once. We were not sure what to do with it so i took it to a local pet store. The employees let it loose in the pet store and said the lizard would help keep the loose crickets under control. As far as I know it is still happily living at All Pet.

The anoles and the gecko's eat crickets which can be purchased at pet stores that sell anoles, geckos and other lizard/reptiles. We had a leopard gecko for a few years. We've also had anoles and "house geckos"--which I believe are the ones like you find at the fort. The critters are not hard to keep. Daily, Spray some water on some "foliage" (can use fake plants, leaves) you provide them with for hiding. They will lap up the water. Wood chips for the flooring. A good, escape proof cover on your lizards home....a light source (pet stores sell these). Easy to care for, actually. Just don't grab them by their little tails. They snap off easily, bleed a lot.......very disturbing. The animal will regrow a tail in time, but it is never as pretty as the original.
These are not pets to hold and play with....a leopard gecko, yes but not the type you would "acquire" from your Disney trip. They hide and are not easily found but when you do see them, they are fascinating.

I'm sure we will be bringing one from the panhandle to replenish the one that stowed away in your camper!! They love the camper for some reason.

Ok, We couldn't find the darn thing!
It was a great ploy to get the kids to help unload the camper...We ALL had to be on the lookout for him.

I shook out everything and looked in every crack...it scooted in through the power cord access door as my husband was putting in the cord...so it could still be in that compartment area and we can't get to it. If it is in there I am sure it is dead....I wonder how bad that is going to smell come summer????

We had one get in the back of our frig through the vent. She actually laid eggs in there that hatched before we left the fort. Never found her or her brood, but not sure i want them in there running around any way.

The anoles and the gecko's eat crickets which can be purchased at pet stores that sell anoles, geckos and other lizard/reptiles. We had a leopard gecko for a few years. We've also had anoles and "house geckos"--which I believe are the ones like you find at the fort. The critters are not hard to keep. Daily, Spray some water on some "foliage" (can use fake plants, leaves) you provide them with for hiding. They will lap up the water. Wood chips for the flooring. A good, escape proof cover on your lizards home....a light source (pet stores sell these). Easy to care for, actually. Just don't grab them by their little tails. They snap off easily, bleed a lot.......very disturbing. The animal will regrow a tail in time, but it is never as pretty as the original.
These are not pets to hold and play with....a leopard gecko, yes but not the type you would "acquire" from your Disney trip. They hide and are not easily found but when you do see them, they are fascinating.

We have already purchased crickets twice...how fun.:rolleyes2
Here is their new home....
And Dave did all this "just for the kids". LOL
disneylastday009.jpg

I realize this is an old thread but I can't help but post an opinion here.

I find it rather selfish that there are people catching these little critters while on vacation and taking them home for pets. How would you feel if someone 20x bigger than you chased you around, caught you and took you away from your natural environment and kept you in a tiny cage?

I would not teach my kids that this is okay. There are plenty of souvenirs to be purchased. If you want an anole, go the petstore and buy a captive bred one.

I find this thread rather entertaining, I could walk outside and catch 20-30 of these very quickly... Living in fl my whole life these are as common as seeing... Birds. I didn't realize people from up north have never seen these and have them as pets... That is all... Happy catching?

When we were there in December, one night I woke up and looked at the wall of our trailer, there was a little frog hanging out. I went to get him out and he hopped to the front and hid. Luckily later that night he came out and I was able to shoo it out of the door!

I'm a Floridian and dont like them in the house or the rv. Occassionally they sneak in and dry up dead which is so sad. The green ones are harmless but other kind of lizard looking ones can be toxic to pets. We would have them hitch rides to and from fort as we live in Florida. I agree dont take the things on purpose. We had one that lived in a piece of bamboo by the pool and he came out when we played the cd player. They do have little personalities and seem to be intelligent. In our ecosystem they are very useful as they eat mosquitoes, flies. So really crickets arent even their prefered diet. I dont think they live more than a year. If one hitches a ride though very nice how campers help them survive.

I realize this is an old thread but I can't help but post an opinion here.

I find it rather selfish that there are people catching these little critters while on vacation and taking them home for pets. How would you feel if someone 20x bigger than you chased you around, caught you and took you away from your natural environment and kept you in a tiny cage?

I would not teach my kids that this is okay. There are plenty of souvenirs to be purchased. If you want an anole, go the petstore and buy a captive bred one.

If you read these posts, they were stow-aways I believe. Trust me, there are plenty down here without a few stow aways here and there leaving the south. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter