A little sad

Baklava

DIS Veteran
We've booked a DL trip this December and my son can't go with us. He's fine with it, and we knew that as he grew up this would eventually be a thing, but now it's here and it's a little bittersweet to be heading off and leaving him behind. We've done adult only trips without him, but somehow this is different.

We offered to change our dates when his finals schedule came out, especially since our trip includes his birthday, but he said he actually doesn't *want* to come. He's "Disneyed Out." We'll have other trips. We own DVC. He'll come to WDW with us next year, but we went in January and right now he doesn't feel a need for the Disney magic.

He's 18. He's an adult and he can make his own decisions about vacations and he's in college now. This was inevitable. I think I'm just struggling with him growing up.

I can't relate yet, but soon. DS17 is a Senior so one more year and he is at college. We have been going on a family vacations during spring break since he was born. It will be weird even thinking of taking a trip without him. We may take our trips in summer now instead. Both DS17 and DD15 have had enough of Disney too. So, we have been going on more cruises lately (they love those) and hoping to go to Cabo San Lucas next spring break. Just waiting for Southwest to release their airfare for then.

my sister is now 17 and i can't imagine her going to college.
i wish all of your kids luck taking their next step into the real world!

I hear you. I just changed my ticker because for almost the same cost as a quick jaunt to DL this year, we decided to roll that money into a last WDW trip in 2018. Both DD's will be in high school, the oldest a senior. It is our last hurrah together, and while it makes me sad, I'm sure happy to spend it at WDW with them one last time!

We've booked a DL trip this December and my son can't go with us. He's fine with it, and we knew that as he grew up this would eventually be a thing, but now it's here and it's a little bittersweet to be heading off and leaving him behind. We've done adult only trips without him, but somehow this is different.

We offered to change our dates when his finals schedule came out, especially since our trip includes his birthday, but he said he actually doesn't *want* to come. He's "Disneyed Out." We'll have other trips. We own DVC. He'll come to WDW with us next year, but we went in January and right now he doesn't feel a need for the Disney magic.

He's 18. He's an adult and he can make his own decisions about vacations and he's in college now. This was inevitable. I think I'm just struggling with him growing up.

I have 3 adults sons, they all went through this. Sad didn't quite cover how I felt.:hug:

They all have come back into the fold:D, especially when mom & dad are paying for majority of trip lol.

I thought I wouldn't be able to enjoy vacations with just 'him & me':rotfl:we had a great time. First one really bittersweet and I still find myself thinking multiple times each day of how each one loved this or that, but they are nice memories now and give me joy.

My youngest took longer than the older two but happy to say we are doing a mini trip with my GD/his niece mid August and (gasp!) he's treating us to dinner each nights:faint::bounce:.

I know exactly how you feel. A few years ago my oldest daughter who was around 19 at the time couldn't go away with us as she was starting her nursing career. The night before we left I cried as I said goodbye to her. When we left in the early a.m. I was extremely sad and was in shock we were leaving without her. It took about two days for me to adjust but did have a good time and was able to accept it. In December i take our annual Xmas trip with just me and the 3 kids
and she was scheduled to work again in a new job so couldn't go with us, again very sad for me. on a good note in the 5 years since that time she did go away with us again and will be joining us in Disney in August. It doesn't mean the end.

I guess I have been lucky, my daughter is 24 and still living at home, she pays room and board, paid off her student loan, etc...when she was 18 I would have never thought she would still be with us this long. I know I will be very sad the day she does leave.

This mom gig is really something else, isn't it? Our upcoming trip is to celebrate my daughter's high school graduation and I can't understand how that is possible. I have bittersweet feelings about this vacation because I know it is the last before she is off to college; the last one with my babies as "kids". It's what we do...we raise them to be responsible, independent, productive young adults, and then they go ahead and do exactly what we've been preparing them for their whole lives and yet I imagine myself wanting to scream "No, not yet! It went by way, way, wayyyyy too fast!" It's hard to let them grow up, even though it's what they're supposed to do. My mom heart goes out to you and I'm sending virtual hugs your way!

As a dad I have had the exact same feelings. Our oldest son is now 23 and engaged and doing vacations on his own now so very weird thing for me.

I know the feeling. We are about to go on our first vacation without our dd. Its just not going to feel the same :sad1:

Hugs to all of you. My oldest is 28 and lives out of state. My second is in college, and we still have a 14 yo at home. The first trip without my oldest was the most difficult, we took many fewer family pics. The past few trips in December my oldest has flown into Orlando and met us at Disney (this is really great fun now). I've gone alone with the college kid and the youngest, still fun. I've also gone alone with the youngest, also fun. My husband and I have taken the youngest alone on a few short trips, again fun times had. Each trip has been so different from having the entire crew together. Looking back I feel like we're doing Disney in reverse, from just my husband and I, then adding my oldest, then having only two kids, then toting along an infant, then the nest slowly emptying. Looking forward to doing Disney one day with grandchildren, now that will be fun. Time and trips will ease the pain, but the initial shock, I agree is brutal.

I feel for you! My oldest is 14 and I'm already counting in my head how many disney trips we have left with her!!

I cried when my daughter turned 6 because we were already a third of the way to 18.
DD birthday is right before our anniversary so we haven't done anything for years. Lately we have been preplanning our 25th ( 14 years away) with an adult only trip to food and wine festival with a stay at the beach club. So I guess we're dealing :)

This mom gig is really something else, isn't it? Our upcoming trip is to celebrate my daughter's high school graduation and I can't understand how that is possible. I have bittersweet feelings about this vacation because I know it is the last before she is off to college; the last one with my babies as "kids". It's what we do...we raise them to be responsible, independent, productive young adults, and then they go ahead and do exactly what we've been preparing them for their whole lives and yet I imagine myself wanting to scream "No, not yet! It went by way, way, wayyyyy too fast!" It's hard to let them grow up, even though it's what they're supposed to do. My mom heart goes out to you and I'm sending virtual hugs your way!
Very well said! And I add in my hugs as well. We're in the exact same place as Talby this year. In June, we took a cruise out of Port Canaveral & then tacked on a couple Disney days to celebrate my daughter's high school graduation. It just blows my mind some days that she's 18, a h.s. graduate and this was the last of our full family "hurrahs" before she moves on to the next phase of her life. I'll be going to WDW again in March 2017 with my younger daughter (she's 15) as a chaperone for her band/orchestra/choir trip, and while I am very excited that we get the opportunity to do that together, it will still be VERY strange to be there without the older daughter.

The first year DD couldn't make it with us was the hardest. We kept referring to her as if she was with us, including making all the reservations with her included. It wasn't much easier for her, as she was unhappy that she was missing her Disney time for the first time. The second year, she was able to come down for a long weekend, but it was still not enough for us. This year she got married, and she and DW have already planned it so her and SIL can join us.

For what it's worth, hang in there and in a few more years you may be blessed with grandchildren and get to do it all over again (hint: stay on great terms with your future DIL or SIL). My parents have accompanied me, my wife and kids on a few cruises and vacations including DCL and WDW. The best part is they get to do all the fun things with my kids, then turn them back over to us when the kids get tired and cranky. So I know it's a few years off for most of us (we certainly hope so!), but still it's something to look forward to.

I have 3 adults sons, they all went through this. Sad didn't quite cover how I felt.:hug:

They all have come back into the fold:D, especially when mom & dad are paying for majority of trip lol.

I thought I wouldn't be able to enjoy vacations with just 'him & me':rotfl:we had a great time. First one really bittersweet and I still find myself thinking multiple times each day of how each one loved this or that, but they are nice memories now and give me joy.

My youngest took longer than the older two but happy to say we are doing a mini trip with my GD/his niece mid August and (gasp!) he's treating us to dinner each nights:faint::bounce:.

Your post made me feel all sorts of something inside. We're starting our Disney journey with our kids, and are DVC owners too. I was in awe yesterday at the thought that my son would be my mother's age when our membership on our current contract expires (we will more than likely get another contract to extend between now and then). Anyway, the part that really got to me was "I still find myself thinking multiple times each day of how each one loved this or that, but they are nice memories now and give me joy." We have a nearly four week trip planned in a few weeks, and reading this inspires me to really start to add tradition into these visits. I was already doing this, but I have it that much more on my mind now. Thank you :)

Your post made me feel all sorts of something inside. We're starting our Disney journey with our kids, and are DVC owners too. I was in awe yesterday at the thought that my son would be my mother's age when our membership on our current contract expires (we will more than likely get another contract to extend between now and then). Anyway, the part that really got to me was "I still find myself thinking multiple times each day of how each one loved this or that, but they are nice memories now and give me joy." We have a nearly four week trip planned in a few weeks, and reading this inspires me to really start to add tradition into these visits. I was already doing this, but I have it that much more on my mind now. Thank you :)

:daisy:Enjoy the moments, life is short!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter