A little Nervous about Dolphin Resort

dizzyfan

Mouseketeer
My husband and I have been Disney fans for a long time, even before we had our son. We began staying on site after his birth. We have taken him to Disney every year since he was 2 years old, he is now 7 years old. We have always stayed at a Disney owned Resorts with him and this year we have reservations at The Dolphin Resort. I got a really good rate 0f $99.00 per night (travel agent rate) so we decided to try it. I am a little nervous about the change. I am use to the Disney Resorts and this year we are taking my cousin along and it will be her first time to Dsiney, I do not want her to be disappointed and I really do not want my son to be disappointed since he has always been at Disney owned propoerties. We have stayed at Dixie Landings, Port Orleans, Cornado Springs and Carribean Beach Resort. If any one can offer any advise as to if they think we will be satisfied with this resort please repsond. It is very nice from the outside but I want to be sure we will be happy.

Thanks for any advise any one can give.

1997 Dixie Landings
1998 Port Orleans
1999 Cornado Springs
2000 Carribean Beach
2001 Port Orleans (French Quarter)
2002 Dolphin Resort:rolleyes::cool: :D ;) :D :cool:

Originally posted by dizzyfan
My husband and I have been Disney fans for a long time, even before we had our son. We began staying on site after his birth. We have taken him to Disney every year since he was 2 years old, he is now 7 years old. We have always stayed at a Disney owned Resorts with him and this year we have reservations at The Dolphin Resort. I got a really good rate 0f $99.00 per night (travel agent rate) so we decided to try it. I am a little nervous about the change. I am use to the Disney Resorts and this year we are taking my cousin along and it will be her first time to Dsiney, I do not want her to be disappointed and I really do not want my son to be disappointed since he has always been at Disney owned propoerties. We have stayed at Dixie Landings, Port Orleans, Cornado Springs and Carribean Beach Resort. If any one can offer any advise as to if they think we will be satisfied with this resort please repsond. It is very nice from the outside but I want to be sure we will be happy.

Thanks for any advise any one can give.

Hi Dizzyfan,

We will also we staying at the Dolphin for the first time this coming Aug. There is a lot of good info about the Dolphin on this board. Take a look around to find the FAQs threads. Alot of great info there. From what I researched there is not much of a difference. Are there any specific servies you are concerned about?

I guess I am just concerned that the Resort will have that same 'Disney Feeling" . From what I have read the only thing you cannot do is charge things to your room from within the parks, and that is not a problem we did not do that anyway. However, I still want to be able to ship my packages to the room, I believe you can do this. It is a change and I just have the gitters I guess.

We stayed at the Dolphin last month for the first time (after 4 previous stays at the Swan)...we love the Dolphin!! It is a beautiful hotel and IMHO I don't think you can compare the deluxe Dolphin to the moderate hotels.

The only moderate we've stayed at was DL also in 1997 but after staying at many WDW owned deluxes I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. (I was spoiled!) I didn't find the amenities as nice nor did I find the location convenient to any of the parks (bus to every park).

All that aside, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Dolphin, I know there are mixed reviews here and there on these boards, but there are mixed reviews about all of the hotels-I just think the S/D get a little more flack because they aren't Disney owned and quite honestly this has made no difference to us or our 3 1/2 yr old dd who started going to WDW at 2. She only knows the S/D and loves them! What I wouldn't have given when I was a kid growing up to stay in those hotels (we settled for Days Inn-offsite)!

The Dolphin is within walking distance to both EPCOT and MGM or you can take a boat. You can wander around the S/D, BC/YC and BW and find many things to do there alone. There is Tubbi's which is like a mini food court and we found everyone who worked there extremely nice and friendly. As a matter a fact, we've always found the CMs at the S/D friendly and helpful. I know some posters may say different but this has been our experience.

We're staying there again in December and can't wait, they havea beautiful holiday display in the lobby. Hopefully we'll get lucky and get a great room like we did last time. We watched the Illuminations' fireworks every night from our balcony & Tubbi's was just an elevator ride away. Our room was very cozy, clean and comfortable. I can go on and on. If you have any specific questions please feel free to send me a PM!

Originally posted by dizzyfan
I guess I am just concerned that the Resort will have that same 'Disney Feeling" . From what I have read the only thing you cannot do is charge things to your room from within the parks, and that is not a problem we did not do that anyway. However, I still want to be able to ship my packages to the room, I believe you can do this. It is a change and I just have the gitters I guess.

I was also concerned when I first made my reservation about the Dolphin maybe not having the "Disney Feel" but after everything I have read about the Dolphin it appears that it does have plenty of the "Disney Feel".

The packages are shipped from the parks to the resorts not to your room. This has also been applied to Disney Resorts. Packages are delivered from the parks to the resorts not to the rooms any longer. I know feel good about our upcoming stay. Keep reading here and I am sure you will start to feel the same way.

I can't assure you that you'll be happy there - but many people love the Swan and Dolphin. If by "Disney feel" you mean Mickey Mouse doodads around every corner - then you will disappointed.

The Swan/Dolphin is a lovely resort at WDW, and I think it's very magical. Your cousin will have nothing to compare to the S/D, and there's plenty for your son to enjoy - particularly the pool, beach, and playground. It has a far better location than any of the moderate Disney resorts, and you'll probably get spoiled by the close proximity to Epcot, MGM, and the Boardwalk.

I have stayed at all of the moderate Disney resorts and many of the deluxe and finally spent 2 nights at the Dolphin last August. No it doesn't have Mickey soap or a Mickey wake up call but the room was colorfull..well the whole resort was colorfull and there are fun touches everywhere. The Grooto pool while not cute is large with and had a nice waterfall pouring into it. The location is great and you get to ride the boats to Epcot and The Studios.
It may not be quite as Disney as the moderates but it is a great hotel and it didn't feel like any of the magic was missing.

I won't even go into how much I KNOW you will enjoy the Dolpin. It felt MORE LIKE a disney resort than half the other Disney run hotels. The cast members were MORE FRIENDLY than the ones at the GRAND FLORIDIAN (I'm using caps to emphisize words sorry lol). We spent half our trip last year at the GF and half at the Dolphin ...and all I can say is that we were so dissapointed in the whole experience at the GF while the Dolphin lasted an everlasting impression. We are staying back at the Dolphin this summer again. The size of it...the architecture...the cast members...the LOCATION...the restraunts...the pool....I'm getting excited talking about it!

Enjoy the trip and have an incredible time!!!!!

Mike

You've got a great rate so it's definitely worth a try IMHO.

We stayed at three resorts this past trip (May/June) and I think I finally have it figured out. It's all about theme. We stayed at the WL in December and it's just not my thing. I enjoyed my stay, but get this, I LOVED PO-R! I didn't want to leave and it was the least expensive room of our two week trip.

So I think I finally get it - it's all about theme and the grounds for me. I didn't appreciate the high rise of the Swan, but I did like the room. My daughter enjoyed seeing Tower of Terror and the Boardwalk through the room window, but I much preferred the grounds at both Fort Wilderness and PO-R, despite the fact it wasn't as convenient to the parks.

In any case, I think as a Disney fan you should try the Dolphin! If you enjoy MGM and Epcot, I think the magic you seek will be just a stroll away!

:D

Hi Dizzyfan, we just came back from the Dolphin today. It is a beautiful hotel. The pool is large, the rooms are very pretty. The location is great. I don't think you will be disappointed. I hope you get a great view. Yes, packages can be delivered (we had this done). If you have a Disney Club membership, you get 20% off at some of their restaurants also.

Have a super time.

...DITTO Nancy! Dizzyfan~You will be overwhelmed by this resort. The only gitters you will have, is trying to get the SAME RATE for your NEXT STAY! LOL! Relax and enjoy~it's superb and spectacular, nestled in the heart of the MAGIC. ;) :sunny: :wave:

Take it from someone else who was also nervous about staying at the Dolphin. It is fabulous. No, there's not Disney soaps or wake-up calls but it is very beautiful and my kids loved it.

The only problem is I may not want to stay anywhere else now. The Epcot resorts area is unbeatable.

We have stayed at several Disney owned resorts and several times at the Dolphin. DW, DS, DD and I all enjoy them all for different reasons.

One of the best things about the S&D is the location. Imagine a 10 -15 minute walk to either Epcot or MGM. WOW! did I mention the location is awesome!

IF I would stay there, I would request 'balcony room'. It will be a little more but I gotta have that balcony or better yet, a ground floor 'patio room'. luv it!
be careful though, read somewhere on a post about closing the pool to convention guests at times. hmmmmm Now that would really upset me.

I was in same situation my last trip to Disney. I have always stayed in Deluxe resort , but took a friend for the first time and I couldn't pass up the great rate I got at Dolphin ($129) compared to $300+ for a Deluxe. I was concerned my girlfriend wouldn't get the same "Disney" experience I have always experienced. You gotta remember though that if your friend has never stayed onsite before they will have nothing to compare it too. The Dolphin is an amazing hotel - especially at night and though it has a very "convention" and "non-disney" feel, it is definitely worth every penny when you are able to secure a low rate.
And.... the location can't be beat. As the previous post stated - try to get a balcony room!

Be sure to request a view of Illuminations. The view from the Dolphin was the best we've ever had for fireworks and you're not fighting the crowds. I loved the boat to MGM and the tram to World Showcase which enabled us to really avoid crowds on the 4th of July no less. It may not have a character theme, but it still felt like Disney to me.

Hi Travelitis
Have you been to the Dolphin recently? The tram used to run some years ago before they built the BW, unless they started a new tram within the last month, the tram you are referring to hasn't been running for probably at least 6-7 years...the only way you can get to EPCOT and MGM is by boat or by walking which is a great thing. :p

We were in the same boat as you last year. We had been to Disney several times and stayed at POFQ and the All Stars. I loved both resorts and were afraid of losing that Disney feel. I was always afraid because a lot of people here a the Dis have a lot of negative things to say about the Swan/Dolphin, but let's face it at that rate I had to try it as well. Anyway we were more than thrilled with the entire resort. The pool area is huge and very tropical. There is a great Disney gift shop

We were in the same boat as you last year. We had been to Disney several times and stayed at POFQ and the All Stars. I loved both resorts and were afraid of losing that Disney feel. I was always afraid because a lot of people here a the Dis have a lot of negative things to say about the Swan/Dolphin, but let's face it at that rate I had to try it as well. Anyway we were more than thrilled with the entire resort. The pool area is huge and very tropical. There is a great Disney gift shop and a Disney guest relaltion area in the hotel. But the best thing was our view. We didn't want a balcony because of our 1 year old, but our room faced the TOT and the Epcot Countries, and even the boardwalk. We could watch fireworks from our room. I could look out at any time and see MGM and Epcot. That view alone was worth a million bucks. NO moderate resort has that kind of view, and the convience to MGM and Epcot was incredible as well. You don't have to fold up the stroller on those boats, plus you can just walk if you'd like. We also enjoyed all the emenities of the boardwalk, like the family bikes, the great food and fun entertainment and it is really right out the front doors of the Dolphin. We had so much fun there and will miss it this year. Because I insist on trying all the resorts we won't be staying there, but if our stay isn't as nice as at the Dolphin, then I assure you we will make the Dolhin the only resort we stay at. ps I almost forgot, if for some reason you do not feel your room is up to par, just asked to be swithed. I would never settle for a room I am not comfortable in and there are so many roomsa here it would be no big deal to just switch. When we were there we had a choice of two rooms and we checked them both out first and opted for the view and not the balcony. Good Luck!

I'm sure somebody has already said this - but your son will love the pool! And, there is a character breakfast on the weekends in the Coral Cafe. And, if you're lucky and eat at the Dolphin Fountain at the right time, you'll catch the waiters/waitresses singing and dancing!

I don't think you'll be disappointed. We love the Dolphin! True, you won't see Mickey stuff every time you turn around - but they do give you your share! There is, of course, a Disney gift shop! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter