A little help to let the Mall know how we feel.

Disneydreamsk

Earning My Ears
As everyone knows by now a third of the Disney Stores are closing due to so called fiancial reasons. My wife has been a store manager for 11 years at the Store in Rockford Illinois. She was let know last week that the store would be closing. Her store was a FAB 50 Store two years ago, meaning one of the top 50 profitable store out of over 300, and was told this year that the store was one of the few in her district that was very profitable.

So why would Disney decide to close the store? Because the Cherryvale Mall, where the store is located, decided to get greedy and raise the rent beyond what Dsiney could deem reasonable. The Mall saw a very profitable store and tried to take advantage of it.

I really feel like a part of me has died and I can only imagine how my wife and the other cast members feel that have put in such hard work to make guests lives feel a little for magical. Disney is such an amazing company to work for. Before Hoop retail took over it was a dream to work for The Disney Store and she kind of faught through the last two plus years with Hoop. Its amazing how in disbelief the guests are when they come in. :confused3 This is a mall with no real reason for kids to come here anymore.

The reason for my rant here, is to ask for your help to sign a petetion that will be handed over to the mall management and leasing. The cast members would appreicate your support as well as the many guests that will no longer have a reason to come to this mall. Thanks for any support you can give. You dont have to put your names down if you dont wish.

Thanks again. :worship:

"Save the Disney Store at Cherryvale mALL"

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/DISNEYSTORECHERRYVALE?e

I know how your wife feels. I worked for a major retailer for several years. We had the #3 store in the Country (out of 217.) The mall decided they wanted a more upscale atmosphere, raised the rent from $5700 month to $9000 per month- more than our retailer would consider. Instead of moving the store, they opted to just shut us down entirely. Hindsight tells me that it was a blessing, but I really enjoyed the job. Here's a little pixie dust for your wife pixiedust:

So why would Disney decide to close the store? Because the Cherryvale Mall, where the store is located, decided to get greedy and raise the rent beyond what Dsiney could deem reasonable. The Mall saw a very profitable store and tried to take advantage of it.

QUOTE]

So Disney could not afford to keep one of its most profitable (fab 50) stores open due to the rent? C'mon. Do you really believe this?

First off, who would tell the manager of a store that Disney was closing a store for this reason? I would seriously consider the credibility of whoever the source of this rumor was. There are many reasons for store closure. Just because a store is on the "fab 50" doesn't mean it is a strong performer. A company that has lost over $100 million this fiscal year alone has to do whatever it can to stop the bleeding.

This wave of closures is only the first, people. Get ready for more.

QUOTE]

So Disney could not afford to keep one of its most profitable (fab 50) stores open due to the rent? C'mon. Do you really believe this?

First off, who would tell the manager of a store that Disney was closing a store for this reason? I would seriously consider the credibility of whoever the source of this rumor was. There are many reasons for store closure. Just because a store is on the "fab 50" doesn't mean it is a strong performer. A company that has lost over $100 million this fiscal year alone has to do whatever it can to stop the bleeding.

This wave of closures is only the first, people. Get ready for more.

Why is it that you continue to post on the Disney Store threads when you truly have nothing nice (sometimes nothing useful) to say? The OP is upset because his wife in hurting since she is going to be losing her job yet you still put salt in an open wound. We all understand that it is business, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt.

Have you been to your local mall lately and seen how many stores are closing? Rent is a big reason why. If they can't afford the rent, they need to close. If they up the rent, even the best stores may not be able to stay.

People are very saddened by the stores that are closing and thousands of people are losing their jobs. I don't think it would kill you actually recognize that fact. Maybe you could use a little of that pixie dust that you gave up on so long ago.

Why is it that you continue to post on the Disney Store threads when you truly have nothing nice (sometimes nothing useful) to say? The OP is upset because his wife in hurting since she is going to be losing her job yet you still put salt in an open wound. We all understand that it is business, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt.

People are very saddened by the stores that are closing and thousands of people are losing their jobs. I don't think it would kill you actually recognize that fact. Maybe you could use a little of that pixie dust that you gave up on so long ago.

Maybe the more appropriate question would be why do you insist on being critical of me for stating the facts and the truth. Yes, I'm sorry that people are losing their jobs. OK? Done. I said it again!!! But since you have such a great memory regarding my own posts, then you must remember that I have stated that there are many other jobs out there and that having TDS on a resume will be helpful.

Rather than treating this board like a condollence book, maybe you should be a little more positive. If everyone wants to have a "poor, poor pitiful me pitty party", that's fine. But it doesn't change the fact that thier stores are closing and they are going to have to move on, like it or not.

Next time you want to say something constructive, tell others that they will be fine. That the end of their stores are not the end of Disney. Tell people that maybe this is happening for a reason.

If you disagree with my posts, DON'T REPLY! But don't flame me for having an opinion. I am not the person who is in deep denial here. I've been there with Disney. I've been there with other companies. I've even had to close my own business recently. The difference is I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I know that life goes on. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So far, Disney hasn't killed anyone. At least not intentionally.

The issue shouldn't be with the mall itself, but rather the REIT that operates the mall, in this case CBL & Associates. They aren't exactly a big player in the industry (dwarfed considerably by the likes of General Growth, Simon, Westfield, and others). A fan-based petition isn't going to do much when leasing decisions tend to be made on a regional/account manager basis (i.e. there's someone at CBL who handles the Disney Store renewals for all their portfolio).

It's business, and with the consolidation seen in the retail/shopping sector, you've got to roll with the punches.

Maybe the more appropriate question would be why do you insist on being critical of me for stating the facts and the truth. Yes, I'm sorry that people are losing their jobs. OK? Done. I said it again!!! But since you have such a great memory regarding my own posts, then you must remember that I have stated that there are many other jobs out there and that having TDS on a resume will be helpful.

Rather than treating this board like a condollence book, maybe you should be a little more positive. If everyone wants to have a "poor, poor pitiful me pitty party", that's fine. But it doesn't change the fact that thier stores are closing and they are going to have to move on, like it or not.

Next time you want to say something constructive, tell others that they will be fine. That the end of their stores are not the end of Disney. Tell people that maybe this is happening for a reason.

If you disagree with my posts, DON'T REPLY! But don't flame me for having an opinion. I am not the person who is in deep denial here. I've been there with Disney. I've been there with other companies. I've even had to close my own business recently. The difference is I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I know that life goes on. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So far, Disney hasn't killed anyone. At least not intentionally.

Yes, there are many other jobs out there and having TDS on a resume will be a wonderful thing to have - I agree with you on this 110%. Like I've stated in a another post, I wouldn't have my full time if it wouldn't have been for my experience I gained (well, continue to gain) from TDS.

I know that the CMs losing their jobs will be fine in the long run - but it's the unexpected that I'm sure has thrown them all for a loop. I was actually at a closing store yesterday and it was heartbreaking. The one CM (who hasn't even been there a year yet) said to me that she wishes that they could just all get together and open another store, so the Cast could stay together. I think that says a lot about the dynamics of many of the CMs within the company. One of the managers was telling me that she's thinking about going to Florida for a vacation for a week or two after the store closes, just to get away. I know that she will be fine as will the rest of the cast, but they are still in shock and I completely understand that and I just didn't think it was the time to bring up the harshness of real life.

I've been offering support, not just condolences. The reality of the situation will come to light soon enough, but for now, I'd rather offer support. I know everything happens for a reason (I've had it happen to me in 'real life' and it still did involve Disney) but at this point, I'd rather stay away from saying this to somebody who is still in shock that come 6-8 weeks, they won't have a job.

I'm truly not trying to flame you, but your posts do tend to sometimes get to me. I'm very passionate about the Disney Stores and the Disney Company- that is why some of your posts do tend to upset me. I will admit that Disney is far from perfect (trust me, I've seen it happen to my friends who work at the parks), but I don't blame the entire company. The Disney Store was my first real job and basically made my dreams come true - I always wanted to be a CM. Since that time I've worked at WDW twice and have a wonderful FT job, but TDS will always hold a special place in my heart.

I am very sorry to hear that you had to close your own business - I know that you said that you're not feeling sorry for yourself, but I'm sure it wasn't an easy thing to do. I do wish you luck in your next business endevor though. :flower3:

As a CM from a store that is in the process of closing...THANK YOU! You know what alot of us are going through right now, and wrote a much nicer post than what any of us could right now to PLEASE BE SEATED. We understand his points, just let us have a bit of time to face this reality. You have gotten past it, and so will we....it does, however, take a bit of time..

As a CM from a store that is in the process of closing...THANK YOU! You know what alot of us are going through right now, and wrote a much nicer post than what any of us could right now to PLEASE BE SEATED. We understand his points, just let us have a bit of time to face this reality. You have gotten past it, and so will we....it does, however, take a bit of time..

:grouphug: Hugs to you and your Cast. Time will help, but I know it's hard right now. :grouphug:

Hey DisneyGirl02!! I finally got on. I worked last night and it is so sad to see all those ugly sign's up. "NO HOLDING BACK" "EVERYTHING MUST GO!!" It's so unDisney I just want it to be over all ready.:headache:

Hey DisneyGirl02!! I finally got on. I worked last night and it is so sad to see all those ugly sign's up. "NO HOLDING BACK" "EVERYTHING MUST GO!!" It's so unDisney I just want it to be over all ready.:headache:

:welcome:

I'm glad to see you're part of the Disboards family now! :)

I can imagine that it's very unDisney like...it's sad. I'm hoping to be able to come to the store on Sunday, even though it's Mother's Day. I'm doing brunch with my family and my DBF's DM and DNana (which I'm very excited about!) so I should be able to come over and visit in the afternoon.

I read somewhere that it's about 10-30% off the merchandise...that's interesting considering that some of the merchandise was already marked lower than that before! Oh well!

Keep your heads up - we're all thinking about you! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter