A little help please...

ericamcl

DIS Veteran
I'm working on planning our next trip (Not til Dec 2012 *sigh*) and am thinking that we may want to do a split stay for this trip.
Problem is, DH doesn't seem too keen on the idea - what are some of the pros and cons of doing a split stay?
We definitely want to do a few nights at BLT ( I Love being so close to MK) and there are other resorts I want to try, I'm just not sure which ones.

To me, the downsides are having to pack/unpack everything.

And being homeless for a whole day in most cases on your resort change day (since there's no guarantee you can get into your new resort room before late in the afternoon - 4 at the earliest). Sometimes you get lucky though and a room would be ready earlier.

Other than those, not much. Extra money to tip bell services for moving your luggage more times.

i think that's the big issue - packing and moving - I have time to figure it out though.
thanks for your input!

I'd rather eat nails than do a split stay. We unpack and settle in until it is time to leave. We know we'll be back next year and can try another resort then if we want to stay elsewhere. Your membership will be around until at least 2042 at a very minimum. That's a long, long time.

Unless it's a long stay of at least 10-12 days I wouldn't do a split stay unless I had no other choice. It's a pain. You never really feel settled in the 1st room because you know you're just going to have to pack & head out again. Then as other posters have mentioned you're homeless on move day. My advice is to pick whichever resort appeals to you the most & plant yourself there.

I usually only do split stays because others are coming or going in my group. I wouldn't ask my DS's family to move. They're a family of 5. This October, DH, DSis and I enjoyed BCV until the weekend when DS's family came and we went to a treehouse for 3 nights. That was fine, we needed more room and the THV experience with the whole family was fabulous!

Bobbi:goodvibes

thanks for all of the advice! I think we may skip the split stay this time and just try a new resort for each trip...now to decide if we want to do Bay Lake again or if I want to try something new this trip...LOL

We enjoy the change of resort, last week we were at VWL and this week at BWV, it's like two vacations. You can also get the DDP for only one resort stay and not the other.

:earsboy: Bill

I'd rather eat nails than do a split stay. We unpack and settle in until it is time to leave. We know we'll be back next year and can try another resort then if we want to stay elsewhere. Your membership will be around until at least 2042 at a very minimum. That's a long, long time.

I totally agree! The only split stay I'l ever consider doing again is a couple days of concierge at AKV on one end of a trip.

I love splits.

If I could afford a 1 bedroom for all my trips.. I would not split, but splitting is a way of getting both Laundry and big tub, and enough points for a longer trip. I prefer having a car when we do it, but it would not stop me.

Pros:
Can be used to save points (resorts, views, room size)
see 2 different resorts kind-a feels like 2 vacations
Can do dining plan for only 1/2 your trip
Can do a 1 bedroom/studio for 1/2 your trip
Depending on when you split possibly a free cleaning.
I am able to bring less luggage, cause I only pack enough for when I won't have a washer/dryer

Cons:
Possibly outta a room part/most of the day
You have to pack everything up
I would try to do it only once per trip if possible (depending on how long a trip), and if it is less than 6 nights long I would not consider splitting.

Packing/unpacking is never an issue for me. I basically live out of my suitcase. And since I'm only there for five days anyway, there isn't SO much to have to pack up. The biggest issue is usually the food that needs to be refrigerated. But the bell hop is always great about holding those items for us. I split every single trip and have never had an issue. Sometimes they'll even cart your luggage over. The one thing I would suggest is that you make it a point to have something to do on the day you are changing, since check-in is usually a few hours after you check out.

I love split stays, even the short ones. I started doing them to spread out our points so we would do 2 nights in a studio followed by 3 nights in a 1BR, in the same resort. I just did my first studio/1BR split across 2 resorts (BLT/BWV) and it was so easy!

In the past, we've added the DxDDP to our studio stay so we wouldn't have to worry about moving groceries to the second room/resort. On the day of the move, we plan on it being a park day at a park close to the next resort. Back in October, we checked out of BLT and headed to Epcot for the day. We dropped off our bags at bell services and took the monorail to the TTC then over to Epcot. Just before lunch, we went over to the BWV and checked in. Our room wasn't ready so we simply strolled back to Epcot for the rest of the day. Around 3pm, we got the text that our room was ready. We went back around 4, stopped at bell services and grabbed our bags and headed up to the room. It could not have been easier.

It's nice to have the washer and dryer for the second half of the trip because that is about the time I need to do laundry. It makes it easy to pack light, knowing that you'll have your own washer and dryer. Since we do the DxDDP for the studio stay, we use the credits towards our favorite TS meals (Boma, LeCellier, Chef Mickey's, etc) and then just pay OOP for the 1BR portion. When I've compared the cost of a grocery delivery vs. paying OOP for CS meals (or shared TS meals), it is actually about the same cost. So, we generally skip on the groceries simply because it is more convenient to grab a meal in the park or the resort restaurant than it is to get back to the room and cook/eat from the kitchen.

I think it must be a "guy" thing. I don't mind split-stays, but for my dh, they are non-starters.

Good news....I have managed to get TWO add-ons out of him with just the threat of split stays, LOL!!!

;)

Beca

Pros: I am sure it has been covered.

Cons: if Disney moves your luggage you could end up like we did with misplaced luggage that took 6 hours to locate.

When we moved, our room at the 2nd resort was not ready until 6pm. I know it could happen at anytime but knowing we "had" a room had we not moved did not help.

We had a young one in our group that did not feel good and needed a nap, no room.

We have stayed at all the resorts so we don't feel the need to experience them anymore, so we stay put.

If like Bill, I could do a week at each resort I would consider it. Anything less is not worth the hassle.

Thanks again for all of the tips and advice.
We've decided against a split stay for this trip, and will save it for a longer trip.
On the brighter side, I have convinced DH that we need to add on at Grand Floridian...ha!

I think it must be a "guy" thing. I don't mind split-stays, but for my dh, they are non-starters.

Good news....I have managed to get TWO add-ons out of him with just the threat of split stays, LOL!!!

;)

Beca

I don't know about that. My wife hates them as much as I do. It is probably more of a vacation style thing. Commando vacationers probably don't care. Those of us who go at a relaxed pace use our rooms more.

Our trips are about 14 nights. We've never stayed in the same room longer than 4 nights. We enjoy changing and trying new resorts. If you have your own vehicle, it is pretty easy. We have very little luggage normally. The packing and unpacking is really no big deal for us as we aren't in a rush for anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter