A little California Grill secret re: fireworks

GeneralTso

DIS Veteran
We had a beautiful dinner at The Contemporary last week and watched Holiday Wishes from their outside balcony. Talk about an out of this world view!!!!

Anyway, our server told us you can view from that balcony if you're in the bar too. You don't have to have dinner there to view. You can get cocktails, appetizers, etc and then go outside.

I thought that was a wonderful tip that we're definitely going to use sometime down the road. The experience from up there is one of the best. They pipe in the sound and everything.

A few days later we saw it from the castle, which is also a great experience, smoke, gunpowder and all :thumbsup2

I have a potentially weird question...is it inappropriate if we brought our 10 year old to the lounge for a kiddie cocktail and appetizers?? I'm thinking it likely is...but thought I'd get opinions...

I have a potentially weird question...is it inappropriate if we brought our 10 year old to the lounge for a kiddie cocktail and appetizers?? I'm thinking it likely is...but thought I'd get opinions...
LOL I was just thinking how to bring a 4 and 7 year old :)
I actually really want to eat here too...just doesnt seem like the place to bring the kids. :(

LOL I was just thinking how to bring a 4 and 7 year old :)
I actually really want to eat here too...just doesnt seem like the place to bring the kids. :(

California Grill is definitely a must-eat-at-restaurant. If you can scrape the money (or dining credits) together. I'd definitely go for it. The view is truly astounding and I think it is particularly enjoyable for those who have seen Wishes before. It adds a new angle to the show.

Of course, along with the fireworks, the food is delicious too. The open-air kitchen also adds to it.

Here's my review with menu.

http://www.disneyparksplanning.com/californiagrill.htm

Keep in mind that CG will be closed for refurbishment from Feb to August (maybe July).

California Grill is definitely a must-eat-at-restaurant. If you can scrape the money (or dining credits) together. I'd definitely go for it. The view is truly astounding and I think it is particularly enjoyable for those who have seen Wishes before. It adds a new angle to the show.

Of course, along with the fireworks, the food is delicious too. The open-air kitchen also adds to it.

Here's my review with menu.

http://www.disneyparksplanning.com/californiagrill.htm

Keep in mind that CG will be closed for refurbishment from Feb to August (maybe July).

is it a kid ok place?

is it a kid ok place?

Definitely. When our kids were younger, we brought them there several times. They've got a special kids menu and everything. In fact, although Disney wants you to perceive it differently, the place is quite family-friendly with many families there (but it seems non of the kids are screaming!). Highly recommend it.

Is there usually room at the bar if we just walk in for a drink? razy question, but don't we need an ADR to get up to that floor?

Is there usually room at the bar if we just walk in for a drink? razy question, but don't we need an ADR to get up to that floor?

Unless it's really packed (think Christmas) and there's no room in the restaurant (most likely due to those waiting for their ADRs), the folks on the second floor should let you go on up. Just say you want to go to the bar or lounge. I don't know how "kid-friendly" those are though.:thumbsup2

Great tip OP!:thumbsup2
CG is our absolutely favorite place to eat, not only it has amazing view and wonderful food but service is out of this world. :goodvibes

The lounge is also the area where people wait until their table is ready so many of the tables are filled with people having a pre-dinner drink, but if you want to dine, the entire CG menu is available in the lounge.

One caveat - you don't need a reservation to eat in the bar, but it can get crowded, especially just before fireworks, so there is a possibility that when you arrive at the second floor podium, you won't be able to go up without a reservation.

I don't think I saw any kids in the bar, but there were plenty with parents at tables.

The bar is relatively large, there were a lot of people in there. You don't need an ADR to get up there. You just tell the people on the 2nd floor you are going to the bar. Even if there aren't seats at the bar, you can still order something to drink and head out to the balcony if you arrive close enough to when the show starts.

MK-CR-BE-Deck-S_090308.gif

MK-CR-Sat-Fwx-Deck-N_090308.gif

(Fireworks shown above are simulated.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter