A line cutting rant to get off my shoulders...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every generation has a 'sense of entitlement'. I was told the same thing by my elders back in the 80's .... my parents were told the same thing back in the 60's .... Socrates said the same back in the 5th century BC. Nothing has changed, we're just able to compare stories online with millions of other people rather than just our friends and family.

I agree with you- but the only difference I see is that today, it's not the kids/teenagers we are complaining about most- it's the adults!! That's what is hard for me to understand. We were at POP a few weeks ago eating in the food court. A dad and his son got up and left a table full of garbage!! :confused3 I try to use this as a way to teach my own sons that that behavior is not acceptable!

I swear I must of met that same woman at some point before..
Why is it necessary to snidely say to someone, ya'll have a good day, after getting your way with something that others don't like or agree with.
I've heard that exact reference before, and it really is the rudest comment of all...

I agree with you- but the only difference I see is that today, it's not the kids/teenagers we are complaining about most- it's the adults!! That's what is hard for me to understand. We were at POP a few weeks ago eating in the food court. A dad and his son got up and left a table full of garbage!! :confused3 I try to use this as a way to teach my own sons that that behavior is not acceptable!

And its those kids with a 'sense of entitlement' that become those adults. I don't doubt the stories of rudeness. My point is though its no different. I remember incidences as a young child in the 70's of rude adults and my parents being frustrated and as I pointed out earlier in the thread, we had a line cutting incident in 1982 but no rudeness in our 2011 vacay.

Again, they seem more prevalent because we can share them online.

Ugh, tables left full of garbage is my pet peeve too!

I've seen a few incidents where an adult with a young child gets to the front of a single riders line at WDW and then insists on being loaded with the child - and I've never seen one get away with it. They get sent back to the regular line.

Yesterday at DHS DS was making a droid in Tatooine Traders. He had just started working in it when this guy comes up behind him reaching around him. The cast member told him that DS would be finished in a moment, nicely trying to tell him to back off. The guy says OK but then starts physically bouncing up and down and tells the CM that he had come back to DHS just to do this. He says that they are about to leave and that his family is waiting for him at the resort and that he has to make his really quick!

The CM just smiled and said oh really, but I was slightly annoyed so I started suggesting DS try the different hats on before choosing. I'm always aware not to take forever doing these things, DS had been working on his about 2 minutes, not 30!

Anyway the kid beside us finished so this guy literally ran to that spot, hurriedly grabbed a few pieces and made his droid in 10 seconds. I don't know how he even enjoyed that when 1/2 the fun is picking through and personalizing your droid.

And its those kids with a 'sense of entitlement' that become those adults. I don't doubt the stories of rudeness. My point is though its no different.

I think it's different. Today there are far more people who believe they are somehow "special" and deserve more than others by default. Personally, I think it's a product of how children have been raised in the past few decades.

I think it's different. Today there are far more people who believe they are somehow "special" and deserve more than others by default. Personally, I think it's a product of how children have been raised in the past few decades.

I think it also depends on where you are raised - if you are raised in a small suburban polite environment then yes, you will be shocked by rudeness. I was raised in a city, as were my parents so its nothing new to us. Infact, my grandfather was a copper (policeman) in the 40's ... he regularly got spat on and things thrown at him. So again, I don't see a difference in rudeness, just the fact that we hear more peoples stories.

I think it also depends on where you are raised - if you are raised in a small suburban polite environment then yes, you will be shocked by rudeness. I was raised in a city, as were my parents so its nothing new to us. Infact, my grandfather was a copper (policeman) in the 40's ... he regularly got spat on and things thrown at him. So again, I don't see a difference in rudeness, just the fact that we hear more peoples stories.

I agree that rudeness is and has always been universal, I just think the widespread sense of "specialness" is relatively new. :)

Jerks are jerks, no matter where you are.

I agree that rudeness is and has always been universal, I just think the widespread sense of "specialness" is relatively new. :)

Jerks are jerks, no matter where you are.

Ahh, I get you now. Yes, I agree that rudeness is no different ... but whining has reached a whole new level :rotfl:

I think a lot of it is exacerbated by how insular many of us have become. We do more and more of our leisure activities at home, either by ourselves or with just family around. We bury ourselves in our computer and phone screens. When we do go out to a crowded place where we have to deal with other people, we're not as practiced at it as we ought to be.

I think a lot of it is exacerbated by how insular many of us have become. We do more and more of our leisure activities at home, either by ourselves or with just family around. We bury ourselves in our computer and phone screens. When we do go out to a crowded place where we have to deal with other people, we're not as practiced at it as we ought to be.

I agree with you. That is certainly a factor and it's something my wife and I try to address in how we are raising our children. The less practice we have with social skills, the less likely we are to have successful interactions with others.

I would have just walked around her and took my rightful place in line. What could she do about that.:confused3

That's really not taking the high road like the OP did, but I would have done the exact same thing donkey. As soon as she parked her butt in front of me I would have said "wo, wo, wo lady back of the line" and scooted right around her. Sitting on a bench on the other side of the sidewalk doesn't constitute waiting in line! :rolleyes:

Op I feel for you! The fact that Disney does NOTHING ever almost aggravates me more than the line cutters themselves. :headache:

Didn't some of the other people in line say something??? Sometimes if people stand together it helps on situations like this.

Thats so true, if people would stick together and all admonish the line cuttter, they would back off. But most of the time no one else says anything which makes most people afraid to confront the line cutter alone.

Front of line on us,I always ask first CM I to see a shirt (manager) and tell him about it.Then offer to stand to the side if person is on attraction and point him/her out.Plus explain to him my frustration that I thought CM's could do a better job of handling line cutters.If I do not get a satisfactory answer from him I ask to see his manager.I do not raise my voice, or yell or cuss and explain I am not trying to get attraction CM'S in trouble but asking that be trained how to handle line cutters in the proper way. Danny

My party was eating lunch at AK on Thursday. I didn't like what I got, so I went to get something else. I was in line behind a party of 7 who had no idea how to use the dining plan. It was a fiasco. I was hot and irritated, but knew that they were just trying to get lunch. Well after 15 minutes in line, this couple walked up and stood right next to me (there was only one register open...) I kept looking at them and I said excuse me, but they didn't speak English. I still felt like the understood what I was trying to say, but sure enough they walked right up to the register after the party of 7 left. I was so aggravated!!! And the cm knew I'd been waiting longer because she kept giving me sympathetic looks the entire time. It took me so long to buy that darn salad, my husband came looking for me because he got worried. I was so frustrated.

Come on. I feel badly that you had to wait, but anyone who's been on the Dis since 2010 should know that counter service lines alternate between the right side and the left side. You should have lined up next to the big family, not behind them. That late-coming couple was just being smart. ;)

And its those kids with a 'sense of entitlement' that become those adults. I don't doubt the stories of rudeness. My point is though its no different. I remember incidences as a young child in the 70's of rude adults and my parents being frustrated and as I pointed out earlier in the thread, we had a line cutting incident in 1982 but no rudeness in our 2011 vacay.

Again, they seem more prevalent because we can share them online.

Ugh, tables left full of garbage is my pet peeve too!

I definitely agree that being able to share information instantly makes any problem seem larger than it actually is. But, I think it's more than that because I personally witness more rude behaviour in my every day life than I did 10 or 20 or more years ago. Or maybe my tolerance level is just getting lower, who knows. I also personally feel that society is overly politically correct now, to the point of being detrimental to society and that allows rudeness to go unchecked, because heaven forbid you call somebody out on their behaviour, that could be viewed as belittling or demeaning to a person. That allows the original person causing the issue to go unscathed, which gives them carte blanche to keep acting the same deplorable way over and over again. Why wouldn't she? There are no reprocussions for her behaviour for her to worry about.

Come on. I feel badly that you had to wait, but anyone who's been on the Dis since 2010 should know that counter service lines alternate between the right side and the left side. You should have lined up next to the big family, not behind them. That late-coming couple was just being smart. ;)

I agree. I learned this lesson the hard way my last trip because I didn't know the right/left thing and obviously didn't notice the sign. I was annoyed at myself for being an idiot, but couldn't really blame that on anybody else. From then on, I knew what to do.

I do think it would be nice if the cashiers could "remind" people of how the lines work though. If they have nobody on their left and 2 parties on their right, it would take them only a few seconds to say "please form the line on both the left and the right". Not sure if any already do this, but I didn't come across any. I ended up letting several groups know before just walking up to the empty side myself.

Love Tink said:

Ha! You may have a point there. What was I thinking standing in line like a civilized person?!

GillianP1301 said:
I agree. I learned this lesson the hard way my last trip because I didn't know the right/left thing and obviously didn't notice the sign. I was annoyed at myself for being an idiot, but couldn't really blame that on anybody else. From then on, I knew what to do.

I do think it would be nice if the cashiers could "remind" people of how the lines work though. If they have nobody on their left and 2 parties on their right, it would take them only a few seconds to say "please form the line on both the left and the right". Not sure if any already do this, but I didn't come across any. I ended up letting several groups know before just walking up to the empty side myself.

There was only one cash register open, it wasn't a case of left side/right side of stand. I know how those work :P

Front of line on us,I always ask first CM I to see a shirt (manager) and tell him about it.Then offer to stand to the side if person is on attraction and point him/her out.Plus explain to him my frustration that I thought CM's could do a better job of handling line cutters.If I do not get a satisfactory answer from him I ask to see his manager.I do not raise my voice, or yell or cuss and explain I am not trying to get attraction CM'S in trouble but asking that be trained how to handle line cutters in the proper way. Danny

As I read this thread, I was actually wondering, does anyone ever speak up to the powers that be or write Disney about it? How does Disney usually respond?

I kinda see the issue as a bratty child, sure you can punish the offender, but most likely they are going to cause a huge scene much like the bratty child. So it's easier for Disney to just ignore the problem instead of confronting it. But then we law abiding citizens get the shaft, and leave Disney with a disgusted taste in our mouth.

OP I don't know what I would have done had I been in your shoes, it probably would have depended on who I was with, and who else was around me. I would have been very upset and I doubt that I could have maintained my temper as well as you did. Kudos to you :thumbsup2

There was only one cash register open, it wasn't a case of left side/right side of stand. I know how those work :P

In most Disney CS, they take guests to the right and left of ALL cashiers, even if there is only one at the register.

I kinda see the issue as a bratty child, sure you can punish the offender, but most likely they are going to cause a huge scene much like the bratty child. So it's easier for Disney to just ignore the problem instead of confronting it. But then we law abiding citizens get the shaft, and leave Disney with a disgusted taste in our mouth.

Disney's official stance appears to be "no confrontation with guests." They'll push it only if the guest escalates to the level where they need to call security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter