A Letter to My Daughter... Christmas '11 Trip

Shananana

Mouseketeer
Hello World Wide Mousers! I have a little different planning journal. You see, I'm a mom to 2 beautiful princesses, ages 6 and 2. This journal is my gift to younger daughter when she gets old enough. I know she will hardly remember anything from this trip, but I still want to go, and I feel like this is the best way to preserve memories for her. Feel free to add tips, tricks or advice, but please keep in mind, this is for my baby.

Vi,
Of Course being YOUR mother, I need to start this letter off with an apology. I'm sorry you're 2. I'm sorry that when we first go to Walt Disney World, you'll be too young to remember it. And I'm sorry that you will be overwhelmed. However, I promise to keep this journal to inform you of the goings-on. And I promise that your sister will have an awesome time. And I promise to keep my yelling to a minimum.
With that being said, Welcome to my Vacation Planning Journal for you! I love you sweetie. I do. And when I won a 3-night stay at a Disney World hotel that turned into a huge frenzy over when to go. Originally, we were going to go over the summer, but that turned into a logistical nightmare, so we (Mommy and Daddy) sat back and decided to do something crazy because your parents are indeed crazy. We are going to Walt Disney World for the first time EVER for Mommy's birthday - Christmas Eve! So, here we go... As of today, August 1, this is what we have so far:
The Hotel - Port of Orleans Riverside (More about this later)
The Dates - the 14th through the 25th. (These are flexible)
Advanced Dining Reservations (ADR) - Too many to list.
And most importantly: YOU!
Yes, baby, you. You are critical on this trip because we don't want another Disney Cruise meltdown. (You cried EVER time we went in the stateroom. It was exhausting.) So, we need to work on the thing that we always need to work on: Trust. In fact, I was just telling your sister yesterday that the motto of this trip is going to be Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust. You and sissy need to trust mommy and daddy so that you can have a good time. And mommy's going to have faith that you'll be potty trained by then. And we'll let WDW provide the Pixie Dust.

popcorn::

What a beautiful start of what I am sure is going to be a beautiful journal for your daughter to remember things by:goodvibes What a truly great idea!

This is great! I actually started a pre-trip report myself as a sort of journal for my girls (18months & 4 1/2 when we go because I'm sure her memories will dwindle over time). I know my DNiece although older will appreciate to keep this with her trip memories also.

Looking forward to reading your report.

I've agonized over this. I've spent hours trying to figure out where to stay (at the on-site properties). I know I want you to have a pool so that you can SWIM. You are such a water baby. On the other hand, I want somewhere that sissy will enjoy too. I want it to be magical for her. I first started looking at the Wilderness Lodge: (pictures courtesy of allears.net.)
wl90.jpg

Maybe with bunk beds?
wl18.jpg

And I heard it's awesome for Christmas.
Or the animal kingdom lodge where you can be with all the other "animals":
akl_uzima9.jpg

They have a playground!
akl_pg1.jpg

Alas, the price just can't justify it. I mean, we still want to pay for your college! And we still need to buy airfare. Ugh.
So, what about some more economical options.
This is the Pop Century Resort. It’s completely reasonable and it looks awesome:
pop2010a27.jpg

But then again, your dad will probably feel couped up and well, it's my birthday and I want something fancy!
How about the Swan or Dolphin resorts?
dolp46.jpg

Yup. Not Disney enough for me either.
Okay... Here's something... Port Orleans:
fq63.jpg

Oh my:
fq58.jpg

Now, there's a French Quarter and a Riverside resort and I literally made my decision at the last second as I was making the reservations. What did it for me was the comment that someone wrote The whole resort was used as inspiration for the Princess & the Frog movie (when I was watching that movie I was seriously thinking "that's the spittin' image of Port Orleans at Disney World"). That did it for me. I figure your sister will be in heaven... we can take a boat ride to downtown disney and it will look awesome for Christmas.

I hope you girls like it.

On a side note, your sister has been so cute. She's starting to catch on; I was telling your daddy how I'm so excited about going to WDW and then Jo says: WDW? Are we going there for Christmas?
Me: Yes.
Jo: HA! Yes you told me! We're going to WDW for you birthday!
Daddy: Jo, do you know what 'WDW' is?
Jo: No. :)

Yesterday I received a vacation guide from Disney and already this morning your sister has found it. :rolleyes: It had all of our important stuff in it, like where we'll be staying (Riverside!) and what activities will be going on while we're there (Very Merry Christmas Party) and so on. It was really kinda cool. I was hoping that there was going to be a discount in there, but I didn't see one. Oh well!
Your dad and I are still on a quest for airfare. I hope it comes soon; we're getting nervous.
In the meantime, I won tickets for Disneyland from a local radio station, so we'll be going there on Labor Day weekend. I think there's a marathon going on that weekend. I need to still check that out. So, you'll have a full Disney year since we went on a Disney cruise in January, a Disneyland trip in September and a Walt Disney World vacation in December.
And as much as you drive me crazy here at home, all I have to do is think "we're going to Disneyland" or "we're going to walt Disney world!" and then suddenly I remember that you're still a kid, and you're meant to be crazy. And we're going to give you all of our attention while we're on vacation. And it will be awesome.

Your father and I are working on a "surprise box" to tell you guys that we are going to Disney world. I just drafted up a letter. I will take pictures of the box and items as I get it together... It's coming up in a month, baby!
Here's what I have so far:
Dear Shananana,
I have it on good information that your birthday is near Christmas this year. I would like to invite you and your family to join me and my pals at Walt Disney World here in Orlando, Florida. I’ve attached a map so that you can find us! I’ve also contacted Southwest Airlines so that you and your family can fly from San Diego to the Airport here in Orlando. I’ll have the Disney Magical Express come pick up you and your luggage from the airport. From there, you can join Princess Tiana and Prince Naveen down in the bayou at the Port Orleans Riverside Resort. (I know that Josephine and Violet will like it there.) We will have all four parks decorated for Christmas. I do hope you will enjoy your stay with us,
Your Pal,
Mickey Mouse

We leave today. And I'm trying to get everything done which means it's 1 am and I'm exhausted. But, I love you. :hug:
I had a video of me getting you and your sister this big box and telling you that we were going to walt disney world, but now I can't find it. Which is for the best anyway since I don't think I can post it here to show to you later.
What I can post are PICTURES!!! Let's look and see what was in the box, shall we?
Ah. The obligatory promotional materials. You will see a lot of this in life, so get used to it.:laughing:
DSCF9091.jpg

Next, we have the actual "BOX". Lots of goodies for you!
DSCF9092.jpg

Cute Tinkerbell Santa Hats.
DSCF9093.jpg

A Rapunzel costume (for your sister)
DSCF9094.jpg

A Belle costume (for you.)
DSCF9095.jpg

And then you got it off the front porch:
DSCF9140.jpg

It was heavy.
DSCF9141.jpg

Oh! And look! Dolls to match the costumes.
DSCF9143.jpg

World what? I have dolls!

We're back!
Wow. That was a WORLD wind vacation. And so many pictures! We have over 500 photopass shots. You will see them all.
First of all...
  • Thank you for not throwing up on our flights. (ask me about your sister's flight to Australia.)
  • Thank you for not throwing a fit on our flights. You did throw a fit on our flight out of Orlando, but it was almost nap time. The airline boarder did NOT want your dad to get on the plane with you screaming, but as soon as we got onto the plane, you were quiet.
However, I think your poor dad almost lost one of his arms from carrying you around everywhere. We didn't rent a stroller and you didn't walk. Ugh.
And, you did very well with potty training! I know this will embarass you in the future, but what about me?!? You peed on me right before the Christmas parade in Animal Kingdom. Unfortunately, because your dad and sister were on the Kali River Rapids ride and I have no picture of it, but believe me, you did it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter