A Letter from a Disney World Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinTheWorld

Earning My Ears
Hello everybody - wanted to share a letter with you that appeared on my blog, www.spinstheworld.com. There are still a few diners that forget how tough it is to be a server! Especially a Disney server.

Dear Disney Guests,

My job is to look after you and your family for an hour or two during your vacation. I get your beverages, I serve you food. I am at your beckoned call for whatever you may need.

We are honored to serve you at your best. Believe me when I say we really do get a kick out of how much fun your having. We all appriciate when you joke with us, laugh with us and tell us your stories.

We also have no choice but to serve you at your worst. I’ve been swore at, hit, yelled at and had my home country mocked by ignorant tourists. The latter has happened too many times to count. To these ‘guests’ I say: Don’t make fun of my country until you can point to it on a map.

Look, we understand that things go wrong. Disney World is an over-whelming place sometimes. And things sometimes go sour. The monorail breaks down, the buses are late and the line for Soarin’ get’s way to long. None of these are my fault. How anybody can be stressed out on vacation is beyond me, but if you are, we servers are the ones that can help you relax. .

When you sit at my table you’ve been running around for 10 hours, experiencing all the rides and seeing all the shows? Must be tiring. Want to know what I was doing for those 10 hours? I was working.

I walked through the park before the gates opened, while you were still tucked into your hotel bed. I made sure the restaurant looked ‘show ready’. While you were on Test Track, I was serving 4 tables – each with different needs.

What did my last 5 minutes look like, well – You see them? They need more water. More bread – but only pretzel. Those people need 4 separate checks, and they are all paying with 2 credit cards each. Table 25 needs dessert menus and table 33 needs to be cleared of plates. That woman wants me to send the last bite of her steak back to the kitchen because she has just decided it’s too pink. She has eaten almost all of it, but I’ll have to find a manager to void it from her bill or she’ll complain. That really cute girl over there wants to tell me about every Princess she has met while her mother tells me she is ready to order and then has me stand awkwardly well she ‘Ums and Errs’ over her options. Oh, and she has an allergy to mushrooms, dairy, and glutton.

BUT, yeah, I’m really sorry you couldn’t get a Fastpass to Mission:SPACE.

Serving is not as easy as you think. In fact, sometimes it can be as stressful as anything I’ve ever known. Treat us well, and in turn you’ll get the same.

Trust me, we can make your experience brilliant. We servers have a little more power than you think. And isn’t it always important to be kind to the person serving your food.

We do this job because we love it, even if some days are better than others. If we didn’t have passion, we wouldn’t survive 10 minutes of it. We had to go through tests and assesmets for the priviledge to serve you.

Please. Please. Please. Remind me why I love my job, and I’ll remind you why Disney World is the most wonderful place on earth.

Sincerely,

Server

Other than the mention of swearing, hitting, making fun of the server's home country and sending the steak back after it was already mostly eaten and expecting a refund, I'm afraid I don't see where the guests mentioned did anything wrong.

I'm going to close this. It really doesn't have anything to do with meal planning and I would hope readers of this forum know they shouldn't abuse their servers.

I think "swore, hit, & yelled at" is pretty bad too. And I don't think the Server is just complaining about guests doing things wrong. Overall I thought it was a nice little piece expressing someone's thoughts, as are also often expressed here on the DisBoards, reminding people that they are on vacation and that their experience is what they want to make of it.

If there's a "Like" button, I'll press it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter