A Jan 2009 TR... twins, one parent and 103 degree fevers! **UD 11-28 w/ pics**

I'm glad Sophia felt well enough to enjoy the MK for a bit on your first day. They didn't love Space Mountain???? What kind of Disney girls are they?? LOL! At least they tried...good for them!

My kids also like It's a Small World....we rode it several times on our trip! I love that they enjoy the classics..they liked the Carousel of Progress too.

Oh boy...fever's back. I hope she sleeps it off! :)

My favorite has always been Peter Pan. I love flying over London! I don't understand their aversion to SM... it's so slow! But even Hannah, who went on EE and loved it, says she won't go back.

I wanna join in too! First off, I have got to say that you have two very beautiful girls. Thanks for giving us the tip about the bangs or I would have been scrolling back to the first post every time.:rolleyes1

So sorry to hear that the fever seems to be coming back. Hope it doesn't get too bad.

I see that you are an attorney. What kind of work do you do? I've been a paralegal for 26 years now and have always done domestic work....divorce, child custody, alimony, etc.

Welcome! I am in the midst of your trip report, too. It's going to take days to catch up! :rotfl:

My current practice is insurance defense litigation, mostly defense of workers' comp claims (with some liability thrown in, too). But at my first job, where I was an associate for four years, I did everything under the sun including domestic work.

:banana: YAY, an update!

So glad the day started off well anyway! That breakfast looks like a lot of fun! :thumbsup2

My 2 girls did the whole "won't wear anything but a dress" from age 2-4 and since then I cannot for the life of me get my DD8.5 into a dress! She much prefers pants and capris! My DD6 still loves wearing dresses and skirts although she has been know to sport a pair of pants every now and again! :laughing:

I can't wait to hear about the rest of that day! Emergency medical care? :scared1: YIKES!!! Sounds scary, yet intriguing! Bring it on! :goodvibes

YAY for the Canon Rebel--that's the kind of camera I have and I LOVE it!! :lovestruc

So glad you were able to make the Akershus meal--it was one of our favorites!! And I've never seen Jasmine in her winter coat--how cool!! Emergency medical care does not sound good!! I hope everything turned out all right.

Okay, I was just going to lurk but the worried mother side of me NEEDS to know how you handled a medical emergency at Disney.

And your girls are adorable! Love the facial expressions -- although poor Sophia does not look at all happy. :sick:

We worship the Disney strollers :worship:

They are SO easy to get around in and both kids fit.

We also loved the Princess Breakfast. Jamine's winter coat is SO pretty. Thank goodness that girl did not have to go in a bikini in 40 degree weather!!

OH NO!!! Emergency care?! I am anxious to hear what went down!

:banana: YAY, an update!

So glad the day started off well anyway! That breakfast looks like a lot of fun! :thumbsup2

My 2 girls did the whole "won't wear anything but a dress" from age 2-4 and since then I cannot for the life of me get my DD8.5 into a dress! She much prefers pants and capris! My DD6 still loves wearing dresses and skirts although she has been know to sport a pair of pants every now and again! :laughing:

I can't wait to hear about the rest of that day! Emergency medical care? :scared1: YIKES!!! Sounds scary, yet intriguing! Bring it on! :goodvibes

Oh, my girls are right in between yours... next time we go to WDW we should coordinate our plans a little better :goodvibes

My girls will still dress up when the occassion calls for it (like for church). And since they always like to prove me wrong, they both went off to school today in skirts! Girls... :confused: I get so scared when I think about the teenage years to come. :scared1:

Your girls are absolutely adorable! What a good mom you are to take them to Disney two years in a row!

YAY for the Canon Rebel--that's the kind of camera I have and I LOVE it!! :lovestruc

So glad you were able to make the Akershus meal--it was one of our favorites!! And I've never seen Jasmine in her winter coat--how cool!! Emergency medical care does not sound good!! I hope everything turned out all right.

She needed her coat that morning! So Becky, because you have the same camera does that mean my pics are going to turn out as great as yours? :thumbsup2

Okay, I was just going to lurk but the worried mother side of me NEEDS to know how you handled a medical emergency at Disney.

And your girls are adorable! Love the facial expressions -- although poor Sophia does not look at all happy. :sick:

The medical emergency post should be up this weekend. Thanks for coming out of lurking!

We worship the Disney strollers :worship:

They are SO easy to get around in and both kids fit.

We also loved the Princess Breakfast. Jamine's winter coat is SO pretty. Thank goodness that girl did not have to go in a bikini in 40 degree weather!!

OH NO!!! Emergency care?! I am anxious to hear what went down!

I'm actually thinking of getting a stroller again this year :) Sophia is certainly advocating for one! It was so handy to be able to park it and have somewhere to stash all your stuff. And I love the "stroller sub-culture" wherein nobody really bothers anything you leave in the stroller. At least that was my experience last time.

Your girls are absolutely adorable! What a good mom you are to take them to Disney two years in a row!

Thank you, thank you, and welcome!

I promise, I'll work on the TR this weekend!

In the meantime, today was my ADR day and I was on the computer at 6:00 am. I got everything I wanted :) Here's a pic of my spreadsheet/worksheet/most important piece of paper (sitting on top of the PassPorter):

plans.jpg

I've since updated it to enter our actual reservation times and confirmation numbers. Since we're doing deluxe dining this time, it's a lot of restaurants:

Jan 21 - early-ish dinner at Sci-Fi
Jan 22 - lunch at CRT, dinner at Garden Grill
Jan 23 - breakfast at TH, dinner at O'Hana
Jan 24 - breakfast at CM, dinner (w/ my parents) at Marakesh
Jan 25 - breakfast at Kona, dinner at 1900 PF (both with my parents)

So that's 10 credits down. It's way too much food, but hey, I'm on vacation! ;) I need to figure out what we're doing on the 26th because we have a late departure. Maybe lunch at Tony's Town Square? Any suggestions?

90 days to go!! :yay::yay::yay:

We left Akershus (with Sophia in her stroller), and headed towards Soarin'. I asked Sophia if she wanted to go back to the hotel room and lie down, or try to go see a doctor, and she said no. At this point her fever was still not back.

We rode Soarin" (one of our faves on the entire trip) and picked up FPs to ride it later. We rode through Living With the Land (underrated, we all loved this boat ride). We checked out the revolving GG and decided we wanted to eat there on our next trip. Here's a pic of H and S waiting in line (I can't remember for what). They kept asking when they would be on the ride. I told them that they knew thhey would be there when they sat down. So they both sat on the floor and said "are we on the ride now?"

DSC01131_edited.jpg

We then headed over to Imagination! to ride the hotly debated Journey Into Imagination (Figment was my favorite on my first WDW trip in 1989). At the end of the ride, you may recall, your car gets hit with a highly compressed puff of air. As soon as this happen Sophia, who had been a lot perkier than in the morning, started to SCREAM. Not in fear (as I first thought, because the air is startling), but in pain. She was screaming about pain in her left ear. :scared1:

We got back outside and I put her in the stroller. Because she was still crying (which, incidentally, is most unlike her), I decided it was time to leave for the day. We headed toward the exit. Right by The Seas I stopped to talk to her about how she felt. She said her ear HURT and I could tell her fever was coming back. Okay, enough messing around, it was time to find out what you do when you're in WDW with no car and need to see a doctor.

I stopped a CM at The Seas and asked how to get to first aid because my daughter needed a doctor. And here's where the great misunderstanding happened. The CM asked if I needed first aid RIGHT NOW (I put that in all caps because those, apparently, were the key words for what happened next). I am fairly distraught at this point, and even though I just want her to point me in the direction of first aid, I said, yes, I need first aid RIGHT NOW. She told me to wait and ran off. She came back soon with another CM who had a radio, basically pointed me out to him, and then they both left again.

Now, I'm standing there with Sophia in her stroller, crying, and Hannah, who really wants to go on the Nemo ride. I'm not sure what's going on (and I didn't think to take out my map and find first aid on my own. Remember... distraught). So I figure they've gone to get a golf cart or something to drive us to first aid, and that would be pretty cool.

Here's the one picture I took during all this... Hannah looking at the Nemo sculptures.

DSC01132.jpg

But the next person who approaches us in a police officer. Strange. He came right over and started asking my name, Sophia's name, where we were staying. Right on his heels, before I could figure out what he was doing there, can two paramedics with a stretcher and all their gear.

Here's the lesson: If you tell a CM you want first aid RIGHT NOW, they're apparently going to run off and call the paramedics and the Disney Police. I was mortified. I explained to them that I just wanted to take my daughter to first aid and see about finding a doctor. The paramedics, who were very nice, pointed the way and explained that there was no doctor on site, but we could take a (free) van to a local clinic from first aid. After we saw the doctor the van would pick us back up and bring us back to the park, or our hotel, or wherever we wanted to go. The also took Sophia's temp... 103 degrees.

The next few hours are really a blur for me. We walked to first aid and talked to the nurse. She put us in a cube so Sophia could lie down and gave Hannah some crayons and pictures (Disney, of course) to color. Sophia was still complaining about her ear, but managed to rest. I took almost an hour for the van to get there, but it finally did and we took the relatively short trip to a medical clinic in Orlando. There we waited. And waited. And waited. Hannah ate through all the fruit snacks and granola bars in my bag and watched TV. I bought her a Sprite (soda is always a treat for them). Sophia slept on my lap. We finally got to a room where a nurse took Sophia's temp (now up to 103.6), and they immediately gave her some Tylenol. They also did a quick strep swab, which of course made her gag. The doctor came in after another endless wait (the clinic was really crowded, mostly with injured workers, which is ironic because my job is mainly insurance defense of workers' compensation claims). He told me the quick strep test came back positive. Then he looked in Sophia's sore ear. He said there was blood in it, that is was extremely infected, and that, though it was hard to tell because of the infection, he though he ear drum was ruptured and that was what likely caused so much pain for her. He prescribed a massive amount of amoxicillin (which we could pick up right there), said she would be feeling much better in 24 hours, told her to get some rest, take it easy, drink lots of fluids (never a problem with Sophia, she is an avid water drinker), and no swimming for 48 hours. We went back out to the lobby to call the van for our pickup.

So, that's how we spent our afternoon. Strep throat AND an ear infection (which would be the first time for either of my girls. They have both had strep before, and Hannah gets pneumonia on almost a yearly basis, but we had been spared ear infections until now).

Up next, because Sophia had an almost three-hour nap through all this, one dose of amoxicillin, and was feeling better already, she decided we could go back to Epcot and see some more sights...

Awww POOR SOPHIA!! That is just horrible. I am so sorry it happened to you. Thank you so much for giving us the tip about the WDW police help! I am sure it may be a little bit more humorous now that it is over :hug:

I have heard good things about the clinic they bring you to. I am so happy they have that option. I was JUST reading lastnight in my guide book about doctor and dentist services at WDW. They even have a 24/7 doctor that will come to your room and even take xrays or give an IV in the middle of the night :eek: Lets hope I do NOT have to use that, but with kids, you never know.

Can't wait to see if she is feeling better! I am sure that the meds will go to work soon :thumbsup2

WOW :eek: What a crazy afternoon! :sick: Poor little girl. :cutie: Glad that you were able to get some help and that the whole day wasn't a loss. Good to know that if ever ned medical care, Disney is great about providing it! Hope Sophia was feeling better and you were able to enjoy the rest of the day! :)

Awww POOR SOPHIA!! That is just horrible. I am so sorry it happened to you. Thank you so much for giving us the tip about the WDW police help! I am sure it may be a little bit more humorous now that it is over :hug:

I have heard good things about the clinic they bring you to. I am so happy they have that option. I was JUST reading lastnight in my guide book about doctor and dentist services at WDW. They even have a 24/7 doctor that will come to your room and even take xrays or give an IV in the middle of the night :eek: Lets hope I do NOT have to use that, but with kids, you never know.

Can't wait to see if she is feeling better! I am sure that the meds will go to work soon :thumbsup2

It is pretty funny now. I wanted to melt into the ground when the paramedics started toward us. :laughing: Everyone at the clinic was SOOOO nice and helpful. If Dr Levi is out there somewhere reading this, thank you!

WOW :eek: What a crazy afternoon! :sick: Poor little girl. :cutie: Glad that you were able to get some help and that the whole day wasn't a loss. Good to know that if ever ned medical care, Disney is great about providing it! Hope Sophia was feeling better and you were able to enjoy the rest of the day! :)

I'm sure Disney has seen it all... :rotfl:

OP I also got very sick on my trip. Another option is to take a cab to Celebration hospital to the ER. They're VERY GOOD.

What an afternoon. Good to know they take it seriously if you say "right now" Glad the clinic was ok and she was feeling better.

Oh, I feel your pain! On our last trip in Jan 2008 my DD awoke on our first morning at Disney complaining of a sore throat and I knew by the look of it she had strep. She also had a temp of 103. We took her to the urgent care in Orlando via the resort van service and found out that she not only had strep but a double ear infection. I felt so bad for her!

OP I also got very sick on my trip. Another option is to take a cab to Celebration hospital to the ER. They're VERY GOOD.

I thought I was going to have to take a cab somewhere. The free van was a nice surprise :) I checked my records... we went to Centra Clinic in Lake Buena Vista. I think the best part for Hannah (who really was a trooper during this whole ordeal) was getting to drive underneath Test Track on the way out of Epcot!

What an afternoon. Good to know they take it seriously if you say "right now" Glad the clinic was ok and she was feeling better.

I'm sure they're just worried about lawsuits! :laughing: No, everyone was so nice and accommodating.

Oh, I feel your pain! On our last trip in Jan 2008 my DD awoke on our first morning at Disney complaining of a sore throat and I knew by the look of it she had strep. She also had a temp of 103. We took her to the urgent care in Orlando via the resort van service and found out that she not only had strep but a double ear infection. I felt so bad for her!

Hope she was still able to enjoy your trip! Once I get the rest of this report done you'll see how Sophia made a speedy recovey. I, on the other hand, was just about to get sick!! :scared1:

I just changed our trip to take advantage of the 4/3 deal being offered! Our new dates are Jan 21 - Jan 28.

And we're now staying at Poly instead of CR!! :banana:

So, for a more expensive room (because we were in the garden wing at CR), 2 extra days of deluxe dining, 2 extra nights with park tickets AND changing our flights, we're only paying $200 more. The fee to change the flights alone was $225.

Now I need to find more restaurants!!

Whew! What an ordeal for you all -- especially poor Sophia. Isn't it great how quickly kids bounce back, though? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter