A hidden gem, a cannot miss, and a don't waste your time

Like most overplanners, I spend a silly amount of time obsessing about our ADRs, guessing what my family will order, and analyzing to determine best dining plan options and best places to dine. Just for fun, I'd love to hear what restaurants other DIS'ers would list in these categories.

So what restaurant have you found that doesn't get a lot of attention but is a great value?

Which dining option is a must-visit for your family on every trip?

Is there a dining option that you would rather forget? One that you don't ever want to visit again?

Hidden Gem: Big River Grille and Brew Works. I've seen very mixed reviews on the boards. But we *love* this place not only because of the decent value, BUT they also have tables right out on the boardwalk where you can sit, eat, people watch and have a nice craft brew.
Do not Miss: O'hana.
Rather Forget: Tony's Town Square.

I'm basing my list off of our trip over Halloween this year:

Hidden Gem: Tokyo Dining. I was blown away by the great service and the quality of the food. The sushi was so fresh!
Must Visit: California Grill. Apps and drinks in the lounge. That view. Love this place.
Don't waste your time: Les Halles Boulangerie and Patisserie. I can hardly believe it, either. We visited several times during our last trip, always hoping for better. Until this trip, Les Halles was always near the top of our list.

We don't use the dining plan, but I'll keep my answers to what's available on it.

Hidden gem - The Wave breakfast/buffet. It was a lovely way to end our mad dash of a trip.
Can't miss - Via Napoli for pizza and gelato
Don't care to try again - Landscape of Flavors at AOA. The Bounty platter was just awful at breakfast. We got two to share with the kids and most of it went uneaten.

I agree, especially about AoA. I thought we were the only people who didn't like it!

Hidden Gem: Bongos Cuban Cafe (or Express)

Can't Miss: 1900 Park Fare (dinner)

Skip: Liberty Tree Tavern (especially the wilty salads)
I've seen several people say this about the subpar salads lately. LTT, take note and fix it!!

Disclaimer: Only have been to WDW once, and only visited HS and MK and DS (DDT) and a couple resorts that time around.

Hidden Gem: I might get some flack for this one, but... Planet Hollywood.

Was our arrival day visit on our first trip and the best experience. To be honest, couldn't tell you what I ate that day, although it was good. But the service was fantastic; the server and waiter really went out of their way to make our first visit special. My DD accidentally knocked a huge drink all over herself and the table and long story short, they ended up gifting us a HUGE dessert to split and the manager insisted on reimbursing me for the $30 shorts I had to run and buy for DD from the gift shop (even though I repeatedly turned him down, as it was OUR fault, he was persistent! lol) I wasn't planning on coming back on our next trip solely for the fact that I'm trying not to repeat ADRs, but any time we talk about Disney, this is brought up and they want to go back. I hope the new refurb makes it even better!

Must visit: I guess I'll have to go with Crystal Palace.

The buffet was decent and plentiful for both breakfast and dinner, but really, the location can't be beat. An early breakfast ADR can really work in your favor, and if you have a late dinner, you may watch Wishes from the porch.

Would rather forget: Cape May dinner buffet.

Didn't think the seafood was very fresh, and didn't feel there were very many non-seafood options.

Also, most counter service options. "Theme Park Food", yes, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang some of it was bad. Going to make it my mission next time to find more palatable QS options.

Disclaimer: Only have been to WDW once, and only visited HS and MK and DS (DDT) and a couple resorts that time around.

Hidden Gem: I might get some flack for this one, but... Planet Hollywood.

My family had a great experience at Planet Hollywood a few years back as well. We were vacationing with another family and things weren't going well one day. We decided to take our boys over to Downtown Disney (as it was called then) for some time away from said family. We didn't have reservations and wound up at Planet Hollywood not expecting anything special. It turned out to be one of our best meals of the trip. The server was awesome, I think we were seated by some Star Wars movie items (which my boys love) and the food was much better than I expected. So no flack from me!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter